Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh i forgot about that, i said something about being excited to try ethnic food in irvine while i was there. I just got back the other day and let me now share my opinion:

:words: about food

this pretty well matches what i assess, but i put a lot more weight on japanese food and chinese food because im :japan: :hf: :911: . there's some decent poo poo in novi but most japanese food in MI is made by koreans which should be a crime

OCCA = OCMI is actually a pretty good comparison other than the fact that OCMI is a lot greener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Regional food discussions crack me up because the south mainly gets ignored unless it's BBQ or fried food.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Regional food discussions crack me up because the south mainly gets ignored unless it's BBQ or fried food.

i have had really good mexican food in NC

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this pretty well matches what i assess, but i put a lot more weight on japanese food and chinese food because im :japan: :hf: :911: . there's some decent poo poo in novi but most japanese food in MI is made by koreans which should be a crime

OCCA = OCMI is actually a pretty good comparison other than the fact that OCMI is a lot greener

Nagomi on Novi and Grand River has the best loving tantanmen soup i've ever had in my life, but outside of sushi, tantanmen, and a few other more flavourful japanese foods, i find a lot of it to be on the bland side.

oh i didnt get a chance to try any vietnamese food while i was over there either, drat

T-Square
May 14, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I live in Wisconsin, and my dad goes fuckin' bananas for Waffle House. It's what he looks forward to the most when he has to travel down south for work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

QuarkMartial posted:

Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we actually have an amazing variety of ethnic foods. Mexican is a given (real Mexican as well as Tex-Mex), but there is also a sizable Middle Eastern and Indian population, and Vietnamese, among others. In my little town between Big D and Fort Worth, we have Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, and, oh, shoot, some flavor of African restaurants. Not far away there are Cuban and South American places, and plenty of Pho places around. We’ve even got a few local ramen places that I need to try.
Up in Plano (just north of Dallas), there’s a whole strip of Japanese restaurants and stores, including a grocery store that was gangs of fun to visit.
I have no idea about the rest of TX, really, but DFW is pretty dang diverse. I’d assume that Austin is pretty decent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T-Square posted:

I live in Wisconsin, and my dad goes fuckin' bananas for Waffle House. It's what he looks forward to the most when he has to travel down south for work.

Really? I’ve been to Waffle House like four times. It was fine. Good choice for “after the titty bar” at 2 AM, at least. Definitely a greasy spoon type place, if that’s what you’re looking for.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I mean, he's a dork, and there aren't any for a few states south of us, so it's probably mostly a novelty kinda thing for him.

Also:

Darchangel posted:

and plenty of Pho places around. We’ve even got a few local ramen places that I need to try.

A good ramen shop is well worth whatever you'll pay for it in my opinion. A few ~artisinal~ ramen shops always seem to pop up around here in Milwaukee, but they're usually meh at best. There's really only two good ones around here that I've been to, my favorite one is one inside of an old Burger King lol. There's several good pho places around, but I'll take ramen over pho any day.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 26, 2019

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Most of the Japanese food over here (SW London) is made by Koreans and you know what? It's fine. The only other place I've had Japanese food is in Japan and the stuff we get here is obviously not as fresh nor do we get a great variety of fish but it's definitely not criminal, so let's not be weirdly racist or maybe someone should lock you up next time you make a curry or spag bol or whatever

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I love new corn in the fridge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

bougie rear end cars everywhere (ive never seen so many loving lambos in my life)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Laguna Beach

Well there you go.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

T-Square posted:

I love new corn on the fridge.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Food doesn’t have to be authentic to be good.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Those model apples in the bowl at the furniture store are delicious!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

Really? I’ve been to Waffle House like four times. It was fine. Good choice for “after the titty bar” at 2 AM, at least. Definitely a greasy spoon type place, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Does the rabid cult following of Waffle House not extend as far west as Texas? In many parts of the southeast they're so popular that its not uncommon to be able to stand in one Waffle House and look at another one across the street.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

No but typically white people ruin authentic dishes by making it more palatable for white people tastes then call it fusion and charge more than the mom and pop that’s been around for 20 years and tastes better

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well there you go.

It Laguna Beach omega wealthy? The houses were pretty cheap compared to NPB and all the shops were affordable enough for me to spend most of Saturday going to surf shops and boutiques for clothes and gifts

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

T-Square posted:

Waffle House is legit...

Darchangel posted:

...mainly for this reason. It's a meme/trope/whatever, but if the chef is outside smoking and follows you in to serve you, it's going to be great. It's cheap and hits the spot.

Darchangel posted:

Here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we actually have an amazing variety of ethnic foods. Mexican is a given (real Mexican as well as Tex-Mex), but there is also a sizable Middle Eastern and Indian population, and Vietnamese, among others. In my little town between Big D and Fort Worth, we have Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, and, oh, shoot, some flavor of African restaurants. Not far away there are Cuban and South American places, and plenty of Pho places around. We’ve even got a few local ramen places that I need to try.
Up in Plano (just north of Dallas), there’s a whole strip of Japanese restaurants and stores, including a grocery store that was gangs of fun to visit.
I have no idea about the rest of TX, really, but DFW is pretty dang diverse. I’d assume that Austin is pretty decent.

Well, I've lived in different parts of Tennessee, and I've had a wide variety of ethnic foods and it's all great. I don't know if any sort of foodie would count it as authentic or whatever the buzzword is, but it's all great.

What I do wish we had in Tennessee was Ted's Cafe Escondito. We had it in Oklahoma and it was great. I don't know what it qualifies as, but what Ted's does that no one around here does is serves fresh tortillas + sauces instead of chips and salsa. That's what made it great.

Tennessee has its fair share of Hispanic restaurants, and they're all pretty good, and runs the gamut from taco trucks to Mexican to Puerto Rican to Venezuelan to any other Hispanic / Latin American country you can think of. I've not managed to find a legit tamale person since moving to Nashville, but I've not really looked either. Asian restaurants are about as common as Hispanic ones. Nashville does have a Sushi Train which is kind of neat. It's fun and all you can eat is $20. Sushi is alright, nothing spectacular. There's plenty of pho restaurants, too, and the few I've been to have been great.

Nashville is plenty famous for hot chicken, and it's like the new hipster food to eat. It's like BBQ, everyone has their take on it and everyone has the one restaurant that they think defines it. For the most part, some are hot and flavorful, others are hot just to be hot/extract-y, and others just have chicken that's not that great. They're a dime a dozen, so just pick one and go with it. The original is Prince's, which I've somehow managed to not have yet. Actually, that isn't true. They are cash only and I rarely have cash on me, so I've not gone.

Hot catfish on the other hand is delicious and is something everyone should at least try once. I'll throw down on this and say you should go to Helen's Hot Chicken and get their catfish. It's great. Bolton's is also supposed to have great fish, but I've not tried it.

That's my food rambles.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Notice I make no value judgements. I'm not qualified to judge "good food" objectively. My taste buds are decidedly low-brow, and largely undiscriminating. I like a lot of foods just fine (very much not a picky eater), and tend to favor bold, savory stuff. My taste buds do not do "subtle" or "delicate" flavors well.

QuarkMartial posted:

Waffle House is legit...

...mainly for this reason. It's a meme/trope/whatever, but if the chef is outside smoking and follows you in to serve you, it's going to be great. It's cheap and hits the spot.

I did have a "Texas Cheesesteak" at our local Waffle house right after the tore it down and rebuilt it, and was honestly very surprised and happy with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It Laguna Beach omega wealthy? The houses were pretty cheap compared to NPB and all the shops were affordable enough for me to spend most of Saturday going to surf shops and boutiques for clothes and gifts

I don't know if it's the people who visit there or the people who live there but either way I have never seen so many high end cars anywhere else in my life. The E-class is more common than Hondas and it's all skewed from there.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know if it's the people who visit there or the people who live there but either way I have never seen so many high end cars anywhere else in my life. The E-class is more common than Hondas and it's all skewed from there.

ahh, i figured it was because its along the coastal highway

if i had a 300k car to hoon i would definitely do it there

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

A good ramen shop is well worth whatever you'll pay for it in my opinion. A few ~artisinal~ ramen shops always seem to pop up around here in Milwaukee, but they're usually meh at best. There's really only two good ones around here that I've been to, my favorite one is one inside of an old Burger King lol. There's several good pho places around, but I'll take ramen over pho any day.

The problem with making good ramen is that it is difficult and very time consuming to do it right, and when you cut corners it becomes painfully obvious. A few places here started out ok and went to poo poo because they got lazy with it, and other places that could be good ruin it by putting their "twist" on it like putting grilled duck breast in it or something.

There's a place downtown that makes REALLY good miso ramen in terms of the broth, but then they put ground beef in it for the protein and kinda gently caress it up, but I get it any way because it's the closest thing to the ramen I ate in Japan. The rest of the shops around here think they know what they are doing but they aren't even close, but most people don't know any better I guess. I lived on the poo poo in Japan for three years so I'm a sperg about it.

fridge corn posted:

maybe someone should lock you up next time you make a curry or spag bol or whatever

:lol:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Darchangel posted:

is it just me or all the donut places owned my Koreans?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Only the good ones

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Though federal donuts in Philly gets a pass, the zatar seasoned Korean-esque fried chicken with a honey donut is loving god tier hangover food.

They also used to have the best/worst website, complete with blaring crescendo music and rotating disco chicken intro.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Only the good ones

All the best donut places here are the ones that also sell boba drinks, so yeah. I love me some Krispy Kreme but given the choice between that and an old fashioned from Bosa, Krispy Kreme doesn't even stand a chance.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

is it just me or all the donut places owned my Koreans?

Almost all low-mid-end Japanese restaurants, and many Chinese ones are owned by Koreans in the Seattle area, I have no idea why, although a really cheap Teriyaki/Chinese/generic Oriental food for the White palate place near me is owned and operated by an extremely Japanese lady.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There's a place near me that still fries their donuts in lard. They're delicious.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Elviscat posted:

Almost all low-mid-end Japanese restaurants, and many Chinese ones are owned by Koreans in the Seattle area, I have no idea why, although a really cheap Teriyaki/Chinese/generic Oriental food for the White palate place near me is owned and operated by an extremely Japanese lady.

This isn't just Seattle. This is in fact nation wide.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Italian restaurant in the resort I work at was recently sold to Chinese owners, and most of the employees now are either Chinese or Mexican :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gas is 90 cents a liter an hour north of me, and 90 cents a liter an hour south of me

it's 111 a liter here.

That's $3.40 a gallon there, and $4.20 a gallon here(not nice)

i'm fittin to choke someone

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Buck twenty five here. It was a buck seventy three weeks ago.

Gas prices are probably the biggest downer about Vancouver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Buck twenty five here. It was a buck seventy three weeks ago.

Gas prices are probably the biggest downer about Vancouver.

how much is your rent

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Gas is $1.10 here, as high as $1.25 half an hour east of here, and as low as $1 two hours south of here.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Gas is 2.80 here a gallon for premium, but I pay like 1k in health insurance or some nonsense a month. No matter how you slice it, it's a bad trade.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Powershift posted:

how much is your rent

1250 for an 1100sqft basement in the suburbs

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're, uh, not wrong...

Taken from inside (my) E-class, while parked at a gas station in Laguna Beach. Yup.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what is up with these people and black cars

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I’d want a white car in California. Hell I go for white cars in St. Louis.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Gas is $1.10 here, as high as $1.25 half an hour east of here, and as low as $1 two hours south of here.

But all the gas here comes from Edmonton. So it gets loaded onto a truck at 90 cents a liter, turns into $1.10 a liter as it's passing through town, and then drops back to 90 cents on the other side. It's blatant price fixing.

It's not so much the price that's bothering me, it's just the idea of getting hosed.

Kazinsal posted:

1250 for an 1100sqft basement in the suburbs

That's not so bad for living in a world class city™©®

Also, i know how much you dudes like tractoring

tractoring so loving hard right now. Still tweaking, but i got the steering wheel and joystick movement almost perfectly 1:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nashville hit chicken talk: I have no idea how this exploded. Growing up it was definitely a rough neighborhood food, something that people who didn’t grow up in east Nashville knew nothing about. Only reason I ate at Bolton’s and princes all the time is mainly working at car related places and the retailers or shop cleaners would want to go there, many of which were homeless guys. Hey I always loved it but I find it hilarious now that there are so many places and hipsters eat it and write about it.