Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

puve posted:

What's the music of the future with energy, viscerality, or rawness with no regard for wide appeal because smooth and polished ear candy isn't any harder to find than an advertisement now

uk drill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L3AL5yp-Fc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

To chime in on the idea of 'cyberpunk' music, I have been slowly building a cyberpunk playlist this year based on my idea of it. It's not really synthwave tho. I enjoy the synthwave vibe but to me that isn't cyberpunk idk. Some few artists mentioned earlier in the thread (Lorn etc) are in but I didn't do an album dump if I could avoid it (EPs iffy) It's more bass heavy, dark, glitchy and modern electronic industrial I guess. This is how I feel cyberpunk is, gritty and obnoxious.

https://open.spotify.com/user/tapeworm-3/playlist/2IFjYfpTSVzXfSO0eFAwI0?si=bhtm84Y2QjizHeehvvvi0A

Best used with shuffle probably.

I plan to see how the OST is first but probably switch to my playlist running missions /shrug

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 28, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I often wonder if there is a band that can combine the 'in your face' punk rock feel together with synth electronica and such. Kind of like making Sex Pistols work alongside Vangelis...tough ask though it might be, since one's all about being sloppy and raw power feel and the other moreso about precision and atmosphere.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

I often wonder if there is a band that can combine the 'in your face' punk rock feel together with synth electronica and such. Kind of like making Sex Pistols work alongside Vangelis...tough ask though it might be, since one's all about being sloppy and raw power feel and the other moreso about precision and atmosphere.

Ministry?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

One thing to consider, in my opinion, the refusal of heavy metal to go away. It's been around since the 70s and literally will not die and only keeps recruiting new fans.

Is it "cyberpunk" music? Probably not, but there is no way there are not metal bands in night city, and since metal constantly is merging with other kinds of music there is no way it would not be a part of the overall landscape.

I could totally see a "metalhead" gang that could take it literally with tons of head/face centric mods. With the idea of music as protest you could see stuff like Sepultura being the opener for Samurai. Maybe toss in some electronic stuff a la Ministry or the synths bands like Children of Bodom use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ODNxy3YOPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_ws83QcSQ

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Old-school fear factory was all about the machine war and probably still fits for cyberpunk.

The cp2077 playlist on Spotify I follow is basically a mix of darksynth, metal, industrial and electronic. Aside from some odd individual song picks I think it fits well https://open.spotify.com/user/daxter4101/playlist/6Cas2wjtOVfw3I6xuCmigB?si=zjJ0926lSTKzbx0GRzzI-A

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

puve posted:

While on the topic of rap I would also say that Gucci Mane is pretty cyberpunk for being like the real life version of Big Boss from Metal Gear Solid

edit: and XXXTentacion faked his death to protect his loved ones from the Patriots and still operates in deep cover as a dancehall artist named Alkaline hence the contacts and the autotune

edit again: I'm going to make a thread in the music forum asking for cyberpunk music so I don't clutter this one up for people who just want to talk about the game, thank you everybody who gave recommendations and perspective

Big Boss (ビッグ・ボス Biggu Bosu)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDkRD5W2n7s

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

One thing to consider, in my opinion, the refusal of heavy metal to go away. It's been around since the 70s and literally will not die and only keeps recruiting new fans.

Is it "cyberpunk" music? Probably not, but there is no way there are not metal bands in night city, and since metal constantly is merging with other kinds of music there is no way it would not be a part of the overall landscape.

I could totally see a "metalhead" gang that could take it literally with tons of head/face centric mods. With the idea of music as protest you could see stuff like Sepultura being the opener for Samurai. Maybe toss in some electronic stuff a la Ministry or the synths bands like Children of Bodom use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ODNxy3YOPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_ws83QcSQ

Fishstick posted:

Old-school fear factory was all about the machine war and probably still fits for cyberpunk.

Demanufacture and Remanufacture are basically a custom fit for a cyberpunk game or movie, IMHO.

Also we shouldn't forget Front Line Assembly, either, as they've often straddled the line between synth-driven and guitar-driven industrial music. Especially their work with Devin Townsend, who would also fit well in a cyberpunk setting (both his Strapping Young Lad stuff and some of his solo work). And Prong would also fit pretty well in the cyberpunk metal realm, too (especially their album Cleansing).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh yeah, Forgotten Weapons did a video on the cyberpunk gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

chitoryu12 posted:

Take plastic covers off and it's a steampunk gun, all clockwork gears

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

CrazyLoon posted:

Mindless Self Indulgence

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The game is said/expected to require around 80GB on the PS4. Australia is gonna have a fun one with that. I wonder if the PC version will have higher resolution assets and a bigger footprint.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some of the trailers also looked like they had prerendered cinematics, but maybe that was just for promotional purposes. Could be bullshots I guess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ufarn posted:

Some of the trailers also looked like they had prerendered cinematics, but maybe that was just for promotional purposes. Could be bullshots I guess.

The cinematic teaser trailers were completely pre-rendered, but the gameplay trailer they released alongside the recent cinematic trailer supposedly contains genuine gameplay from the same sequence they played live at E3.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

thewizardofshoe posted:

Also can't believe GoST and Perturbator got mentions pages back but no Dan Terminus.
GoST and Perturbator are rooted firmly in metal and Dan Terminus is more straightforward synthwave to my ears even though there's a lot shared stylistically. When I saw GoST and Perturbator it was very clear that 70%+ of the crowd was metalheads first.

Might as well mention Mega Drive if you're going down the road to Dan Terminus place from the GoST and Perturbator town of dark, percussive synth segregated from the German goth power electronics industrial megalopolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvkEwBr-fU

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 28, 2019

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

necrobobsledder posted:

GoST and Perturbator are rooted firmly in metal and Dan Terminus is more straightforward synthwave to my ears even though there's a lot shared stylistically. When I saw GoST and Perturbator it was very clear that 70%+ of the crowd was metalheads first.

Might as well mention Mega Drive if you're going down the road to Dan Terminus place from the GoST and Perturbator town of dark, percussive synth segregated from the German goth power electronics industrial megalopolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvkEwBr-fU

Mega Drive is so good and you can easily pick out any of their tracks because their sound is so distinct, especially on 198XAD.

In that same vein, there's stuff like Master Boot Record

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

Lmao when the back comes off. Goddamn.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 28, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

puve posted:

edit again: I'm going to make a thread in the music forum asking for cyberpunk music so I don't clutter this one up for people who just want to talk about the game, thank you everybody who gave recommendations and perspective

Link!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gun Jesus is the only good gun person and everyone should watch his videos

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Gun Jesus is the only good gun person and everyone should watch his videos

Karl from his other channel, InRange, is good too. They do a lot of videos on stuff like the Underground Railroad and how the government oppressed Native Americans.

Yankee Marshal used to be good, but when Trump got elected he started drifting to the right.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They're also starting a series on armor piercing ammo vs modern infantry armor plate which should be really cool. The Soviet ww2 api went right through.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are loads of retro 1980s style heavy metal bands around too, it could work really well I think. Just ask some of these bands or these bands for some material

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
oddly enough, Johnny Silverhand is the most rockabilly name in this and all universes

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Speaking of dumb/cool future-tech guns that never entered wide-spread production and were covered by Forgotten Weapons, the Pancor Jackhammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKGhqIl4Gw

"These guns are really well known primarily for video games-" lol

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CrazyLoon posted:

Yeah that's the kind of stuff I would be interested to see because I like a lot of music from either extreme but know of almost none that falls in between. Of the music I'm familiar with, primarily electronic stuff isn't punk but varying mixtures of metal, industrial and rave music, with the exception of bizarre mostly unlistenable subgenres of hardcore like cybergrind.
The stuff I am aware of made by actual bands tend to use synths more like another guitar instead of for texture/atmosphere. If that stuff all seems like late era hardcore it's because I honestly don't know of any acts that have more of a more traditional punk sound that use any kind of keys(besides this band), let alone synthesizers.

This is more like what I'm looking for, I'm going to give that comp a listen and see where it leads me. Thanks!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892823

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

bike

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Despite the obsession with caseless in a bunch of cyberpunk stuff, I admit I don't remember seeing the G11 ever actually used in fiction outside of videogames and I assume it's mainly because it's a hideous brick.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's not because it's hideous.

It's because this is what a usual gun mechanism looks like

And this is what the caseless G11 mechanism looks like

It would have been absolutely impossible to do any field maintenance on that fine clockwork-like contraption.

So it never got enough traction to get real world presence to appear in media.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Just make it good enough so that it doesn't break easy + rotate the older and newer guns for serious workshop maintenance every 10,000 miles. Bing bang bong

Lil Sammy noobrunner doesn't care if he ends his tour with the same exact gun he started with and if he does gently caress em anyway. the Corp doesn't give a poo poo why would Uncle Sam either?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm guessing the G11 being nigh-impossible for film armorers to obtain + convert to blank firing also contributed.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

And as the video mentions, heat dissapation is a huge problem with caseless ammo firearms. In a normal gun the ejected brass gets rid of a chunk of the heat produced. With caseless ammo you still have the detonating powder and the heat just goes into the receiver.

Pretty much the modern developed versions of the m16 and ak74 are about as good as a military standard issue rifle is gonna get until something really crazy changes like a solution to caseless ammo or literally like directed energy weapons. All the other stuff is just way too expensive for very marginal improvements.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

KazigluBey posted:

Speaking of dumb/cool future-tech guns that never entered wide-spread production and were covered by Forgotten Weapons, the Pancor Jackhammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKGhqIl4Gw

"These guns are really well known primarily for video games-" lol

mmmmm...my fallout nostalgia :member:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh they named it after Ghost in the Shell

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Somebody Awful posted:

I'm guessing the G11 being nigh-impossible for film armorers to obtain + convert to blank firing also contributed.

Eh, I doubt it. They could just fabricate one and use FX to cover the shots. A bigger issue might be that it is distinctly an HK product and HK may be sue happy over it. Don't know that for sure but it seems likely

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh they named it after Ghost in the Shell

Kusanagi has a lot of Japanese cultural cache outside of GitS, though that's obviously where most non-Japanese people have any experience with it. It's pretty much the Japanese version of Excalibur (which is why Makoto was using it as a psuedonym, it's basically the equivalent of calling yourself 'Jane Excalibur' in the UK, it's a way to say 'this is not my real name, I am a weaponized instrument of the state').

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had no idea!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey how did they manage the Major's reappearance for the TV show if she flees in an anonymous civilian body after merging with an emergent AI in the end of the movie?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I pretty much assume that SAC and the movies are separate continuities.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So Kusanagi was a total replacement cyborg, without even a normal brain, right? Like, she has some organic bits in her brain but it's mostly like the government official in the beginning of the movie, that you can put her on a table and actually pull out the brain and it looks like a piece of computer hardware. What happened to her original body and brain? They mention that if she quits, she has to return her body and brain to the government... where are her original parts? Is it like, she has to get a rental for her ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And as the video mentions, heat dissapation is a huge problem with caseless ammo firearms. In a normal gun the ejected brass gets rid of a chunk of the heat produced. With caseless ammo you still have the detonating powder and the heat just goes into the receiver.

Pretty much the modern developed versions of the m16 and ak74 are about as good as a military standard issue rifle is gonna get until something really crazy changes like a solution to caseless ammo or literally like directed energy weapons. All the other stuff is just way too expensive for very marginal improvements.

It should be noted the reason why caseless ammo imparts a crap ton of heat to the gun itself is because the casing, instead of being eject it’s designed in such a way to evaporate/disintegrate when the round is fired.

Now there was a class of weapons that was mechanical similar to regular guns, fired caseless rounds, and was actually deadlier then most firearms called Gryojet guns, but they had their own slew of problems that made them insane to use.

E: gryojets guns are basically bolters from 40k