Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Jesse escaped from the Nazi's. The whole experienced changed him quite deeply. He fled to LA and changed his name. As a coping mechanism, he began to put forward a cheerful and carefree attitude, but as a side effect, completely lost his sex drive. Things began to look up for him again once he was taken in by a former 90s sitcom star and allowed to live rent free in his mansion in the hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

BB had a lot of terrible filler, but when it hit, it hit dead on. I was a meth addict for a few years, never shot it or had to suck dick, but it pretty much destroyed my life, and that episode where the tweakers steal the ATM and gently caress with it while the poor little kid watches just loving NAILED the feel of a meth house.

Most people I know watched Breaking Bad on netflix. When you can watch seasons or the whole series at one time, the mind glosses over filler episodes. It's easy to ignore how bad they are when you can get right to the next one. I noticed this myself when I saw all of Six Feet Under over a month's time.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I enjoyed it until every other episode was A Very Special Episode about Tony being really racist but it's okay because he has A Black Friend.

Also the episode where the therapist gets raped for no reason except to pad out the season I guess. Or the one where his friend who owns the restaurant suddenly falls for the other mobsters girlfriend. Both episodes went nowhere and filled no purpose.

I had this problem as well. :shrug:
LOTS of go nowhere poo poo. And holy crap the rape episode was in terrible taste.

At some point the whole show ended up feeling like endless go nowhere plotlines.
Also lol at the AJ storylines near the end, holy crap those were abysmal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Grape posted:

I had this problem as well. :shrug:
LOTS of go nowhere poo poo. And holy crap the rape episode was in terrible taste.

At some point the whole show ended up feeling like endless go nowhere plotlines.
Also lol at the AJ storylines near the end, holy crap those were abysmal.

Honestly it's why I stopped bothering with any serious dramas. They seem to all follow the same weird rubric. Why is there always a rape episode?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Honestly it's why I stopped bothering with any serious dramas. They seem to all follow the same weird rubric. Why is there always a rape episode?

That's why I'm rewatching the Wire for like the fourth time.
When one of a show's mottos is "all the pieces matter" you know you can trust that poo poo.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lister posted:

Most people I know watched Breaking Bad on netflix. When you can watch seasons or the whole series at one time, the mind glosses over filler episodes. It's easy to ignore how bad they are when you can get right to the next one. I noticed this myself when I saw all of Six Feet Under over a month's time.

That's a great point, I hadn't actually considered how big a difference that makes.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
the rape scene forces melfi to confront her connection to a mobster/monster, the morality of not only her continued participation in providing him therapy but the prospect of easily available VENGEANCE against he-
you know what never mind

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Brolander posted:

the rape scene forces melfi to confront her connection to a mobster/monster, the morality of not only her continued participation in providing him therapy but the prospect of easily available VENGEANCE against he-
you know what never mind

Rape is something that can happened in one episode and is instantly forgotten about.
And is also a really cool tool for drive-by one off stories.

Also they basically never really confronted her moral struggle with Tony much until out of the blue she suddenly flips against him near the end within like an episode or two after six seasons of being his therapist.
"Oh crap we really need to finish that storyline but we never really built up to it. Ah well."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Lister posted:

Yeah, I don't know anyone who watched the whole thing on a week to week basis. I watched season 5 that way which has a bit less filler, but I can't imagine seeing an episode like "fly" and thinking "I waited a week for this poo poo? I have to wait ANOTHER week for more of this poo poo?"

It sucks when netflix adopts that weekly model too - they have no reason not to just release the whole thing at once. TV networks, it at least makes sense to space it out because they have a schedule and you can't stop and start when you want.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

sons of anarchy devoted a whole season to rape and it was bad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

poverty goat posted:

ive never seen the sopranos but the beatles sucked

Never listened to the Beatles but I thought the Epic of Gilgamesh was really overhyped.

poverty goat posted:

We better make sure we show the Nazis raping so we know they’re bad guys

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What’s the new hotness now that Chernobyl is done? I’m already catching up on Barry which is really good.

Dark on netflix went from being good during season 1 to incredible in season 2

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

poverty goat posted:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I enjoyed part of sons of anarchy. But every time it starts to get good, they do the rape season, or the entire part in ireland, or somehow a biker gang gets access to RPGs and poo poo. Every season they kept powering the gang up to the point they're basically as powerful as an international drug cartel and it's bullshit because they're all idiots. Then after the prison season it got unbearably boring. I tried a few times to finish season 6 (was there a 7 too?), but I just can't.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jose posted:

I'd the sopranos didn't make you want to smoke and eat a ton of food then there is something wrong with you

You can get the Ruffino Chianti Classico for like $18 at Costco (versus like $35 at the grocery store), I pick up like 6 whenever I'm feeling like watching the Sopranos again because I know the urge will come.

The Wire owned because a Baltimore cop and a Baltimore journalist who didn't give a gently caress about burning those bridges wrote it so they actually knew what they were talking about and didn't pull punches.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
It always makes me happy when 6 Feet Under gets recognition, it's my favorite drama I've seen. Keep in mind that some elements, especially David's character, were actually very progressive for the time.

Also, as has been said, fantastic finale.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The Wire owned because it was an actual story and not a soap opera for 20 something males.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I enjoyed part of sons of anarchy. But every time it starts to get good, they do the rape season, or the entire part in ireland, or somehow a biker gang gets access to RPGs and poo poo. Every season they kept powering the gang up to the point they're basically as powerful as an international drug cartel and it's bullshit because they're all idiots. Then after the prison season it got unbearably boring. I tried a few times to finish season 6 (was there a 7 too?), but I just can't.

It's worth finishing just for how awful the ending is. Like, truly terrible in every way. I remember guffawing loudly at the "dramatic" beats.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sons of Anarchy is real bad y'all

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

I stopped watching when the boys got mint and green tea colonics together.

I swear, it was good for a while though!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

i'm currently watching season 2 of dark on netflix and really like it. i can fully understand some people not though

You should check out The Assassination of Gianni Versace on netflix it is an intense fuckin show

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Another Bill posted:

tea

it was okay back when it was hamlet + macbeth on bikes, but then kurt sutter revealed his true power level as a terrible showrunner and I guess jax was jesus

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

https://youtu.be/qqE7ZxH7BJE

you probably already know what it is before you click it
I did, and I'm glad it was.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

esperterra posted:

tea

it was okay back when it was hamlet + macbeth on bikes, but then kurt sutter revealed his true power level as a terrible showrunner and I guess jax was jesus

I remember the specific episode where I quit watching the show and never watched an episode of it ever again: the obnoxious main character biker guy whined "YOU'RE SELLING BABIES FOR CASH!"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

poverty goat posted:

:wtf: were they trying to break some kind of record set by Oz?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kurt sutter really has a thing for filming himself getting raped in the rear end

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm rewatching the shield rn and its VERY important to watch it in the 4 by 3 aspect ratio, widescreen literally ruins it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think it's also very important to keep an eye out for this claudette scene and acknowledge that dennis does an extremely good impression of her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDLkDmzhJQ

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
diarrhea text

Only the last season was total trash. The stupid pop out of the trunk machine gun ending and all. Trash. The ending of season 4 was the real ending, and goes down as one of the best of all times when you just stop right there. The writers got stuck being forced to make season 5 and it shows.They ran out of ideas and made up the dumbest loving plot line. The people crying that Walt can't win because he was such an rear end in a top hat are wrong, that's exactly why he won. I've rewatched it three times now and I always stop at the end of season 4 completely and totally satisfied with the original ending.

Sons of Anarchy & Sopranos almost gripped me but they both became a soap opera. They weren't awful shows, but they weren't good either. Too much irrelevant and really boring drama. Instead of showing his dumb kid loving up, they could just have a scene of his crew ripping someone else off instead. Or instead of his wife screaming for the 11th time why not just show some dudes doing a hit even if it had nothing to do with the story.

The Wire is still the best show to ever air. The worst season was the last, but if you ignore the newspaper portion and just focus on Marlo it's still the best ever. Some of this was based off the non-fiction book The Corner, which was written by David Simon, and I regard it as something I would put on anyones bucket list to read before they die. Just do it. It focuses mostly on the gangs and the addicts, so it will be depressing, but you get an intense insight why the way things are. You will recognize quite a few of the characters in The Wire.

Oz was fun and then got really really goofy. Seeing all those dudes show up in TV since then still gives me a kick. Adabesi showing up on Lost. That Irish dude doing those accident commercials. The old nazi guy doing the "we know a thing or two" insurance commercials. I love it.

How to sell drugs on the internet (fast) was actually really decent because it had these moments that stepped outside of the show to look down onto the characters from a larger perspective and it provided empathy, which not too many shows can do. It had goofy rear end parts, yeah, and the dub is loving the worst dub ever, but it's still really good despite of all that.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 29, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Philthy posted:

diarrhea text

Only the last season was total trash. The stupid pop out of the trunk machine gun ending and all. Trash. The ending of season 4 was the real ending, and goes down as one of the best of all times when you just stop right there. The writers got stuck being forced to make season 5 and it shows.They ran out of ideas and made up the dumbest loving plot line. The people crying that Walt can't win because he was such an rear end in a top hat are wrong, that's exactly why he won. I've rewatched it three times now and I always stop at the end of season 4 completely and totally satisfied with the original ending.

Sons of Anarchy & Sopranos almost gripped me but they both became a soap opera. They weren't awful shows, but they weren't good either. Too much irrelevant and really boring drama. Instead of showing his dumb kid loving up, they could just have a scene of his crew ripping someone else off instead. Or instead of his wife screaming for the 11th time why not just show some dudes doing a hit even if it had nothing to do with the story.

The Wire is still the best show to ever air. The worst season was the last, but if you ignore the newspaper portion and just focus on Marlo it's still the best ever.

Oz was fun and then got really really goofy. Seeing all those dudes show up in TV since then still gives me a kick. Adabesi showing up on Lost. That Irish dude doing those accident commercials. The old nazi guy doing the "we know a thing or two" insurance commercials. I love it.

How to sell drugs on the internet (fast) was actually really decent because it had these moments that stepped outside of the show to look down onto the characters from a larger perspective and it provided empathy, which not too many shows can do. It had goofy rear end parts, yeah, and the dub is loving the worst dub ever, but it's still really good despite of all that.

He didn't win, though. He survived, but all he did was infiltrate a hugely successful business and literally burn it to the ground. He was a failure as a scientist, a failure as a father, and a failure as a drug kingpin. In real life he would be a headline for one day, everyone would say "who the hell is that" and move on. He is no escobar, he didn't build anything. He was just a flash in the pan.

And I will never get why people call The Wire the best show ever. It's the safe internet answer, but beyond that I just don't get it. I gave it a chance, I really did, but it bored the gently caress out of me. When I said I could barely finish the first season, they said give the second season a shot that's when it starts to really get good. So I did, but it remained boring. I adamantly refuse to watch an entire show when people say you have to see the whole thing to appreciate it. Suffering through hours of boredom just to get to the good part is pointless when I could just watch a show that doesn't require a multi-season ramp period.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

And I will never get why people call The Wire the best show ever. It's the safe internet answer, but beyond that I just don't get it. I gave it a chance, I really did, but it bored the gently caress out of me. When I said I could barely finish the first season, they said give the second season a shot that's when it starts to really get good. So I did, but it remained boring. I adamantly refuse to watch an entire show when people say you have to see the whole thing to appreciate it. Suffering through hours of boredom just to get to the good part is pointless when I could just watch a show that doesn't require a multi-season ramp period.

I wouldn't have said go to the second season before it gets good. If the first few episodes didn't grab you, then the show is not your thing. It doesn't change. It is a snapshot of society and policing in one of the most dangerous and corrupt cities in America.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poverty goat posted:

Oz is hard to watch now because it's like it was filmed by a highschool drama class in the back of the gym

Oz is hard to watch for me on account of the various crimes committed (and sometimes shown), like the family getting murdered, including the baby, or Beecher's son getting his hand chopped off before being flat out killed.

Becoming a parent changes you. :shrug: :smith:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Philthy posted:

I wouldn't have said go to the second season before it gets good. If the first few episodes didn't grab you, then the show is not your thing. It doesn't change. It is a snapshot of society and policing in one of the most dangerous and corrupt cities in America.

I mean I got a sense of its importance and the statement it was trying to make, but it just didn't entertain me. I need a show to hold my interest, not educate me.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Walrus posted:

I'm rewatching the shield rn and its VERY important to watch it in the 4 by 3 aspect ratio, widescreen literally ruins it
Why? I forget which ratio Netflix used before they pulled it mid-way through my binge.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oz is hard to watch for me on account of the various crimes committed (and sometimes shown), like the family getting murdered, including the baby, or Beecher's son getting his hand chopped off before being flat out killed.

Becoming a parent changes you. :shrug: :smith:

Oz is so much better if you just stop watching it when they start doing the magical poo poo with rebadoux etc or whatever his name is. Those parts are hard to watch, but effective. Also the talent show bit - why does every prison show feel the need to have a talent show? Why do they think that is good TV?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

I mean I got a sense of its importance and the statement it was trying to make, but it just didn't entertain me. I need a show to hold my interest, not educate me.

The carrot in this entire series is trying to get ahead of the drug dealers. When they learned how to tap their pagers you got a sense of oh yeah, they will get 'em now. Then they find out the pagers are using a code. And so on. They slowly introduce all these minor players who all have hosed up lives, but a little bit of humanity within them still. That humanity is then preyed on and their lives destroyed because of it. It's a vicious cycle that is the car crash everyone slows down to look at as they pass by.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oz is so much better if you just stop watching it when they start doing the magical poo poo with rebadoux etc or whatever his name is. Those parts are hard to watch, but effective. Also the talent show bit - why does every prison show feel the need to have a talent show? Why do they think that is good TV?

I appreciated the talent show in Oz, simply because of the way they did it in the narration parts.

Beecher and Shillinger disco dancing was actually kind of great.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Oz makes watching old SVU kind of weird since you get to see how so many of their dicks look like.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ready to be roasted.

The first nine seasons of CSI were fun as hell. The puzzle solving was fun in almost every episode, it had Vegas glam, and then it slowly introduced an over-reaching arc of a serial killer that kept eluding them. All the characters were great, and not annoying. After Grissom left the show, it went south. The writing got repetitive, they tried fleshing other characters out, and then started laying them off, or they left on their own. It was probably a show that should have just ended at 9 seasons with no spin offs.

But I can go back and watch those first 9 seasons and they're still enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
No golden age of prestige tv jerkoff poo poo will ever be as good as mr show and that’s a fact boyos