Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol at anyone that would turn down head from a fat dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I stop playing Fallout 76 for a month and it somehow also becomes a battle royale game? Amazing. That is fine, I have plenty of Rage 2 left to apocalypse before seeing what the hell happened to Fallout.

mormonpartyboat posted:

which was part of what made fallout 1's talky suicide so dope - you couldn't convince him with charismatic appeals, he was a zealot. you had to break him on the wheel of logic
Which is why Fallout is a product of its time; we see in 2019 that truth-eschewing zealots cannot be convinced by emotion OR reason, and can only be ignored or voted out. The Master loses the vote for Overseer by 2 votes to 1 when you and Dogmeat kill all other eligible voters but then refuses to step down so you just lock the door behind you and leave it trapped in its personal hellfiefdom

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Dr. Quarex posted:

I stop playing Fallout 76 for a month and it somehow also becomes a battle royale game? Amazing. That is fine, I have plenty of Rage 2 left to apocalypse before seeing what the hell happened to Fallout.

nothing happened, war never changes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In Fallout 2 (And New Vegas), we see that Super Mutants can grow old and senile, so the Master's plan still wasn't entirely as airtight as they thought it was

Although that may have been a result of losing the Master's psychic control...?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Vinylshadow posted:

In Fallout 2 (And New Vegas), we see that Super Mutants can grow old and senile, so the Master's plan still wasn't entirely as airtight as they thought it was

Although that may have been a result of losing the Master's psychic control...?

The games have been really inconsistent on that. There are some original Mariposa super mutants kicking around who have experienced no aging whatsoever.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Are you talking about Lily?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

El_Elegante posted:

Are you talking about Lily?

That, and it's mentioned in Broken Hills

Marcus notes that his memories of being a human are getting hazier, and Lily's not much better off

It's a weird form of senility

Aren't there logs and unique dialogue from the Super Mutants stationed in 76's Huntersville about mutants remembering being human and being scared of losing those memories?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My understanding is that the nightkin are driven insane from the stealthboys in ways that did not effect regular super mutants.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lily was also a senile old lady when Supermutant'd.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Dr. Quarex posted:

Which is why Fallout is a product of its time; we see in 2019 that truth-eschewing zealots cannot be convinced by emotion OR reason, and can only be ignored or voted out. The Master loses the vote for Overseer by 2 votes to 1 when you and Dogmeat kill all other eligible voters but then refuses to step down so you just lock the door behind you and leave it trapped in its personal hellfiefdom

fallout 1488 is gonna be sitting in your vault posting about trump

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mormonpartyboat posted:

fallout 1488 is gonna be sitting in your vault posting about robobrain trump

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ASenileAnimal posted:

ive reinstalled a few times to try and finish the main game but i end up uninstalling pretty quickly every time. the only effective combat option is melee and its boring as hell and the game is nothing but fetch quests that send you to the opposite side of the map. also the hunger/thirst and repair mechanics are tedious bullshit. im never finishing this.

It's fun with a partner but I have no idea how people play it solo.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

dogged persistence. i launched a nuke solo just to get rid of the quest and jfc was that the most tedious waste of my time, considering I'm 50+ levels lower than everyone heading to the nuked area.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

El_Elegante posted:

My understanding is that the nightkin are driven insane from the stealthboys in ways that did not effect regular super mutants.

Yeah, the Nightkin seem to be driven insane by Stealthboy use and abuse, with the explanation being that it’s brought on either by prolonged exposure to the stealth fields or that being invisible for so long eroding the user’s sense to a critical degree. Or both. I can’t remember if the non-Nightkin go insane. I can see them going senile, but in the same way I can see anything living that long would.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The nightkin are schizophrenic (kinda, the games don't exactly portray schizophrenia as much as outright insanity) and second gen mutants were the Mariposa slave labour used by the enclave rather than the master, hence being accidental dumb dumbs

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's worth noting that in dead money God is dismissive of the stealthboy explanation and approving if you suggest that dog's dissociative identity disorder is the result of past trauma. Dr. Henry in Jacobstown also specifies schizophrenia as being a symptom of stealthboy use in nightkin, rather than just general insanity.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

It's worth noting that in dead money God is dismissive of the stealthboy explanation and approving if you suggest that dog's dissociative identity disorder is the result of past trauma. Dr. Henry in Jacobstown also specifies schizophrenia as being a symptom of stealthboy use in nightkin, rather than just general insanity.

I want to say there were logs in the Army base in Fallout 2 that outright say prolong use causes insanity, but I can't be sure.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Why? The weird radiation or what

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
SCIENCE!!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Why? The weird radiation or what

The weird radiation is speculated, as well as prolonged periods of being unable to see one’s own body loving with the mind in unexpected ways. I don’t think that there’s a solid answer given, but that’s the in-game theory.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

If this was the next fallout game I might play it. The villain being a robo brain president of the US in a stupid treadle robot would be awesome and more ballsy then Bethesda has. I replayed F1 and forgot what an excellent satire of US culture it was.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Thom12255 posted:

I admit playing with one of my best e-friends was sometimes among my favorite online gaming experiences ever. The first time we ran into Grahm was around level 20 but near near the high-level railroad area near the Top of the World, and the firefight that abruptly went down between the level 60something supermutants and ghouls and Grahm, while we ran all over and screamed into our microphones, while trying not to die, was unbeatable.

BUT I was far more likely when logging in to temporarily hide from other online friends so I did not have to deal with two hours of camping and crafting and talking about work/sports before shooting ghouls for five minutes. At least when you play alone you are on your own dumb downtime schedule.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Thanks to reading this thread, I've decided to reinstall New Vegas and play through the DLC, since I only went through vanilla back in the day. Any recommendations on QoL mods and such?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Thanks to reading this thread, I've decided to reinstall New Vegas and play through the DLC, since I only went through vanilla back in the day. Any recommendations on QoL mods and such?

The one that takes away the sepia tint from everything is pretty good.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

I actually just finished setting up NV for a new run myself. New Vegas Anti Crash and New Vegas Stutter Remover are still good I think, as is 4GB Fallout New Vegas. There's a mod to remove/quiet ED-E's atrocious movement noises, an armour repair kit mod, a portable campsite if you play survival, an FO4 style quick loot menu and a mod for EVE that makes the goo piles work like normal lootables, some improvements to the recipe menu, and a mod to speed up the Sleep/Wait menu. Yukichigai's profile also has a lot of just generally good little tweaks. I think all their little fixes have been rolled into their unofficial patch. edit: Also a weapon wheel mod with some other nice features. If you haven't modded a Bethesda game before, grab and install Mod Organizer 2.

And of course a good hundred different hi-res retextures to make the game pretty.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 29, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Yeah, Yukichigai basically has almost all the fixes and QoL stuff you could ever need or want.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
what's a good mod loadout for fallout 4? i just reinstalled after reading some fanfics.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Mycroft Holmes posted:

what's a good mod loadout for fallout 4? i just reinstalled after reading some fanfics.

and I just picked up F4VR if anyone has any specific mods that helped out the VR experience

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Sim Settlements makes the settlement gameplay more interesting, if just because now you don't have to individually build every dumb rear end in a top hat an entire house. If you want you can even set the settlements to build themselves. Plus it's got a raider component that's being worked on. Wall pass through conduits, Snapable Junk Fences, and Longer Power Lines all make settlements less obnoxious to set up; Everyone's Best Friend lets you have dogmeat and another companion; Salvage Beacons lets you dump poo poo off for settlers to pick up; Unlimited Survival Mode lets you quicksave in survival mode because the engine's unstable as hell and whoever thought that needed to be shut off is wrong; Quieter Settlements and Quieter Crafting bring blessed peace to the commonwealth; Legendary Crafting lets you move legendary buffs to other pieces of equipment or mulch them to craft the ones you actually want and Legendary Helmets should have been in the base game; and Faster Workshop is a godsend that fixes what I guess was a naive solution to FO4's workshop.

A lot of the mods on the first few posts of the FO4 modding thread are fine, and SeanBeansShako has made a bunch of posts that spotlight decent mods.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
As of the past week or so, I decided to revisit Fallout 4. One thing I can say for 76 is that it definitely makes certain parts of four seem better and other parts seem worse, so at least it's a sort of fresh experience.

To add to the "different experience, this time" aspect, I decided I'd go with the Brotherhood, since that was the only ending I hadn't gotten yet, and as petty as I know it is, I only lack those trophies (and the "large settlement at 100% happiness" one) before platting it, since I finished the other stuff before they ever even released mods on ps4. So all of that's to say that I am playing vanilla, aside from the free stuff the creation club offers each week (which is never any good, and the neat stuff isn't neat enough to buy, IMO).

I dunno if it's me and I just finally accepted what FO4 is, or if the stuff they've added and changed has made that much a difference, or what, but it's not quite as disappointing a game this time around. Probably also helps that I know how janky the base building poo poo is, this time, and how it works, so I can be content to just snack some shelter and resources down in an area and move on. And if the warehouse I have everyone sleeping in at Oberland Heights just so happens to only pop in mid-air, well, I can put a stairway up to it. Whatever, I gave up on trying to do any grandiose bases (without mods, at least) probably before 2015 had even finished.

Still a major hoarder, though. Also still making my money lording over water and cooking Jet to sell. Speed from fertilizer and plastic, anyone?

Edit: I still hate that whole Memory Den portion and its execution, though.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 30, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

off the top of my head things i liked in 76 that were done better than 4 :

much more cosmetic variety in armors when you upgrade them ie pouches showing up on armor when you add the carrying capacity mods, etc

deconning gear to unlock more mods is a poo poo progression farm in 76 but the idea in general is better than 4 where all mods are known immediately at start you just need the perks for them

follow up much more horizontal mod variety, 4 mods are basically a linear progression rarely a reason to not use the mods at the bottom of the list once you have the respective perks

while the pc controls in 76 are A S S, c.a.m.p. system is generally better than the whole settlement interface in 4, and in general a mobile camp with limited options would have been good in 4 survival

most "clothes" overriding armor cosmetically is way better than 4 where you basically have to take a huge hit to DR

basically all the survival mechanics in 76 are much more enjoyable than 4's, which felt way too punishing and tedious

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i set up a vendor in 76 for the first time and then moved my camp and when i set the vendor kiosk up again it duped everything i was selling. lmao this shits so broken

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

i set up a vendor in 76 for the first time and then moved my camp and when i set the vendor kiosk up again it duped everything i was selling. lmao this shits so broken

Just wait til they ban you for it

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Just wait til they ban you for it

hah honestly theyd be doing me a favor. im slogging through the main quest and probably going to uninstall after i finish it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been slowly playing FO4 and just completed Vault 75. At the end you find out that one of the scientists (Washington?), a former "student", organized the uprising and the super soldier students killed all the scientists, then left.

Are there any plot indications on who they became, where they went, etc?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

no

there is a fan theory that they ended up becoming the gunners but it's a leap cause the 75 break out happened like 200 years ago and the gunners are possibly only a recent (ish) arrival to the commonwealth

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also because the gunners are not terribly convincing as super-soldier geniuses.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Good news, Fallouts 1, 2, and Tactics all work super good in Ultrawide without making everything super tiny or stetched or having to use the pixelated X2 scaling mode. I've got Fallout 1 and 2 running at 1120x480 (the ultrawide version of 640x480) and Tactics at 1400x600. I usually prefer to play older games in their original resolutions as much as possible, so having an option to use my entire screen and keep the games looking like the original vision is pretty dope. If anyone else wants to try this, just create custom resolutions in you Nvidia Control Panel for 1120x480. 1400x600, and if you want something a little sharper, you can also try 1680x720. This is "Ultrawide" version of 720P. I'm not sure how to do this with video cards that aren't Nvidia, but I'm sure it's possible. Has anyone else tried this?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

shoutout to whoever thought it would be fun to drag out this annoying follow the beeping radio signal mission all the across the entire map with a bunch of scorchbeasts you cant fight back against because youre melee and theres no dragonrend shout and guns loving suck in a fallout game for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ASenileAnimal posted:

shoutout to whoever thought it would be fun to drag out this annoying follow the beeping radio signal mission all the across the entire map with a bunch of scorchbeasts you cant fight back against because youre melee and theres no dragonrend shout and guns loving suck in a fallout game for some reason

Also it's not checkpointed between transmitters, so you have to start from the beginning if you save/quit or die.