Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tokelau All Star posted:

What are the good Sopranos seasons? I watched season 1 back when Netflix was DVDs and never got around to the rest of it.

Just watch Goodfellas again honestly lol.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I mean I got a sense of its importance and the statement it was trying to make, but it just didn't entertain me. I need a show to hold my interest, not educate me.

The Wire is also extremely entertaining, but like I dunno what to say without coming off like a jerk here.
It's not a pulse pounding soap opera show, it's a visual novel. :shrug:

I have ADHD so I just gotta shake my head at youse guys who can't get with a more deliberate pace that still constantly entertains with comedy, suspense, drama, and all the usual suspects.

Grape fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Whats y'alls take on "The Kroll Show"

I say its a good show

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

King Hong Kong posted:

I once tried to watch The Wire because everyone said its themes were fascinating - and aligned with what I have studied - but it turns out that its base level of entertainment barely ever rises above stupefyingly boring.

the wire is the most middlebrow poo poo in the world

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JakeP posted:

I say its a good show

its extremely good.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
True Detective Season 1 is better than all these shows, too bad it fell off a cliff past that point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

True Detective Season 1 is better than all these shows, too bad it fell off a cliff past that point.

season 2 was almost redeemed by the gbs goon who successfully predicted nick pizzolattos word of the week in one of the episodes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jose posted:

season 2 was almost redeemed by the gbs goon who successfully predicted nick pizzolattos word of the week in one of the episodes

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot about that. What was the word again?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JakeP posted:

I say its a good show
I haven't seen it but I have yet to dislike Nick Kroll in anything so I'm guessing it's good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot about that. What was the word again?

apoplectic i think

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SickZip posted:

The chess game is like a metaphor for life yo

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

SickZip posted:

what's the comparatively highbrow show in this argument

Zane fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 30, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

The chess game is like a metaphor for life yo

lol at least get the metaphor right if you're going to mock it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zane posted:

what's the comparatively highbrow show in this argument

The first season of Twin Peaks.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

The first season of Twin Peaks.

lol I don't think so my dude.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i am legit angry at you FUCKIN IDIOTS who think the wire is boring. god drat what is it like to be SO STUPID???

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

'Glorifying cops', as though it's bad to show them doing what they're actually supposed to do. Have you ever tried fixing your poo poo police rather than damning them?

Not that the shows even go that far, because they're full of corruption and yadda yadda

hey guys we got a PIG LOVER over here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grape posted:

lol I don't think so my dude.

You're really living up to your user name cause all you do is.......wine.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

that actor is named Jonathan Banks, he voices a character named Rick Dickler in Incredibles 2

Rick
Dickler

i also liked how right after breaking bad ended he went and hosed around on Community, playing Buzz Hickey. Easily the best character on that show, completely stole the spotlight for the 1 season that he was on it.

Did you also catch the Vince Gilligan Community cameo as the VCR/boardgame host when they played Pile of Bullets?

... Draw!

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
to the guy who asked what a prestige drama is I looked it up for you it means they have famous people

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you are a foreigner and you want to really understand America, watch The Wire and Doctor Strangelove.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, watch 90 Day Fiance instead.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
true detective s1 was good but slightly overhyped. I wanted it to be more overt I guess?

holy poo poo dexter got so bad by the end, just lmao

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm 9 episodes in on the Shield and the only character I like is Dutch. I really can't stand Vic, and would like to see him drawn and quartered. I mean, I guess they're trying to make him as hatable as possible, but giving so much spotlight for someone like that is making this really hard to go on. They keep trying to put this side plot of his kid with autism for some reason. Who cares, he's a scumbag who is worse than the criminals he keeps putting away. Why bother.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grape posted:

lol at least get the metaphor right if you're going to mock it

The game is life. It's why the king stay the king while the rest fight for scraps.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Philthy posted:

I'm 9 episodes in on the Shield and the only character I like is Dutch. I really can't stand Vic, and would like to see him drawn and quartered. I mean, I guess they're trying to make him as hatable as possible, but giving so much spotlight for someone like that is making this really hard to go on. They keep trying to put this side plot of his kid with autism for some reason. Who cares, he's a scumbag who is worse than the criminals he keeps putting away. Why bother.

I had the same issue with Sopranos and gave up after a couple of episodes.

Prestige TV means scumbag protagonists apparently.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Woden posted:

I had the same issue with Sopranos and gave up after a couple of episodes.

Prestige TV means scumbag protagonists apparently.

It really just means the lighting is better than regular TV

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Prestige tv is when you can show dicks anytime you want but you only do it once a season at most bc it would gross out the heteros

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Philthy posted:

rating characters based on how much you wanna hang out and be their friend, instead of how compelling they are, is really lame and childlike

like durr, Vic is as bad as the criminals. Wow dude you are insightful.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Prestige tv is when you can show dicks anytime you want but you only do it once a season at most bc it would gross out the heteros

chernobyl's dick miners scene is truly the pinnacle of modern television produciton and i'm not even joking

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
dexter opening > the rest of dexter

Woden
May 6, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don't think Cinemax is prestige tv.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I think prestige TV is good because it gives you a positive opinion modifier with your vassals, and also you need some banked if you want to forge claims

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Woden posted:

I don't think Cinemax is prestige tv.

Prestige tits at least

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

The game is life. It's why the king stay the king while the rest fight for scraps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmryAVUoL8&t=103s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Philthy posted:

I wouldn't have said go to the second season before it gets good. If the first few episodes didn't grab you, then the show is not your thing. It doesn't change. It is a snapshot of society and policing in one of the most dangerous and corrupt cities in America.

It took until the 10th episode for me but then everything suddenly clicked into place retroactively for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
BoJack Horseman did a decent takedown of "Prestige TV" in the most recent season.

Basically, if there's:
- high production values
- long, deliberate camera shots
- dim lighting
- slow pacing
- antiheroes as protagonists
- withholding information from the audience for no reason other than to get you hooked (i.e. being aware that you don't know something vs. being unaware that you don't know something)
- narrative is delivered out of order or through flashbacks and flash forwards

then people will assume it has smart writing as well. Sometimes, this is true - for instance, Better Call Saul employs much of this and is excellent (though with a slight drop in quality with the most recent season).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So you think the chess game is only talking about the drug trade and nothing about the dock workers, politicians, teachers, cops, and school children? All the pieces matter! They literally show parallels with how everyone is just trying to juke the stats no matter what job they have.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, watch 90 Day Fiance instead.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Damnit. I really should have not watched that when I'm only 4 seasons into the show. Why did I not realize it was filled with spoilers? Because I am retarded, that's why.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

So you think the chess game is only talking about the drug trade and nothing about the dock workers, politicians, teachers, cops, and school children? All the pieces matter! They literally show parallels with how everyone is just trying to juke the stats no matter what job they have.

Institutions and systems sure, but not some bland freshman at college "LIFE" thing or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

BoJack Horseman did a decent takedown of "Prestige TV" in the most recent season.

Basically, if there's:
- high production values
- long, deliberate camera shots
- dim lighting
- slow pacing
- antiheroes as protagonists
- withholding information from the audience for no reason other than to get you hooked (i.e. being aware that you don't know something vs. being unaware that you don't know something)
- narrative is delivered out of order or through flashbacks and flash forwards

then people will assume it has smart writing as well. Sometimes, this is true - for instance, Better Call Saul employs much of this and is excellent (though with a slight drop in quality with the most recent season).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GikVQXvf0