Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Wow, I'd heard it was good, but it was even better than I expected. Thanks for the heads up.

It's the best Spider Man movie, and maybe the best comic book movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Dipshits and assholes can make good art, this is a well-established trend

Sometimes they post on Internet forums too

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sometimes they post on Internet forums too

okay that's a good comeback

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I need to watch Spiderverse this weekend.

When I saw the first trailers, I thought the animation style was loving terrible. Then I saw it in the theater, and it looked perfect. Everything clicked. Now I wonder how it looks on the small screen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The animation style looks weird at a glance but after watching it for like 5 minutes it all makes sense. It’s so unique and cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The animation style looks weird at a glance but after watching it for like 5 minutes it all makes sense. It’s so unique and cool.

It's a very directed style, by which I mean that every choice they made was in service to the single goal of recreating the look of a comic book. When I realized what they were doing with the dots(googling tells me they're called "Ben Day dots"?), how they were using that as almost like a substitute for film grain, that really blew my mind.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The animation is incredible. Here's a quick thing from Twitter

https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1080338672715673600?s=19

I was trying find another analysis i saw of this scene and how Pete n Miles are out of sync until they work together in the forest and then their frames lineup but i can't find it so grain of salt on it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was something else about the Marauder (I think that was his name.), how his frame rate was also offset to give the feeling of unease.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prowler.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I actually do wish I was making up that Boots is a maoist idiot who thinks the people at Tienanmen square had it coming

Hard to imagine a Maoist carrying water for Deng Xiaoping but whatcha know about Hu Yaobang and the protests? All I could find was him saying the protestors were there arguing for further liberalization to create available middle management positions which is a simplification since the protests were pretty disorganized but not wrong in itself

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah honestly even aside from the weird racial politics of the movie—which in itself is weird to say about a movie that mostly is about its weird racial politics—BlacKKKlansman just wasn’t entertaining or gripping as a story. I didn’t really care about anything that was happening and I’m kind of shocked it was hyped as a comedy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. The story really isn't all that interesting. it was interesting enough for a 30 minute piece NPR did on Ron Stallworth a while before the movie came out, but I was surprised they made a movie about because it was relatively anticlimactic. Turns out Spike Lee added a bunch of stuff that never happened and it was still boring. The KKK characters were all insanely lame and one note and felt like characters from an Adam Sandler movie if it wasn't a comedy. All of the cops were well acted, Adam Driver is always great. I don't know the leads name but I liked him too. But they didn't really have much to work with. Things just never really escalated to the point where it was interesting, until the climax which felt unearned and was still pretty benign. Just an all around lovely movie. I can't believe how much hype it got.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly, Spike Lee has been fairly bad at scripts for a while now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know the leads name but I liked him too.

That's John David Washington, Denzel Washington's son.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know he only Co wrote Chi-raq but that movie was diiiiiiiire

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sure. Boots Riley's complaints here are pretty much what I'm referring to:

https://www.blackagendareport.com/spike-lees-film-makes-cop-spied-blacks-hero

In all fairness Boots’ movie was badly written too. Shame because it started strong, but end up an amateurish mess in the end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nate fisher posted:

In all fairness Boots’ movie was badly written too. Shame because it started strong, but end up an amateurish mess in the end.

I disagree. Very much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m rewatching party down for the first time since it was still airing and it’s still so good

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I’m rewatching party down for the first time since it was still airing and it’s still so good

It's really wonderful, what service are you seeing it on?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's the show that's so good that everyone on the cast got better jobs and the show died.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

It's really wonderful, what service are you seeing it on?

The whole thing is on Hulu

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I'm only halfway through but so far When They See Us (about the Central Park 5) is loving devastating.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Blue Ruin is still one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a low budget revenge flick, except instead of some supersoldier mowing down faceless grunts, the main character is just a normal rear end dude with zero combat skills who is emotionally broken and homeless after the murder of his parents when he was younger. poo poo constantly goes sideways in somewhat realistic ways, stuff like not being able to afford a gun, stealing a gun, and having to throw it away because he couldn't break the lock on it. Macon Blair gives a great lead performance and the movie itself is beautifully shot. This was Jeremy Saulnier's first big movie, and if you liked Green Room or Hold the Dark, I'd say that this is definitely the best of the three movies (by a pretty decent margin in the case of Hold the Dark) It's rare to see a revenge movie where the main character is so vulnerable, both physically and emotionally and it really makes for a tense and compelling story.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I dunno how common Kanopy access but I wanna plug it here, it comes with some library memberships and it’s awesome. I watched some of Kurosawa’s non-samurai crime dramas and moved on to some samurai movies from other famous directors I had never heard of, but it has an extensive international library from all over the place. Kanopy has tons of stuff from the mid 20th century that is unique as far as streaming libraries go and I suspect people who post in this thread could get a lot out of it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I dunno how common Kanopy access but I wanna plug it here, it comes with some library memberships and it’s awesome. I watched some of Kurosawa’s non-samurai crime dramas and moved on to some samurai movies from other famous directors I had never heard of, but it has an extensive international library from all over the place. Kanopy has tons of stuff from the mid 20th century that is unique as far as streaming libraries go and I suspect people who post in this thread could get a lot out of it

It gets mentioned here often, but it's always good plug it.

The stuff available to a user can vary depending on who they're going through (library, higher ed, etc) but check it out anyway. They have a ton of movies from Criterion, Kino Lorber, and A24.

edit: Tubi TV is a newer streaming service. It's free w/ads. The selection is..interesting. They've struck some content deals with a few studios so there's some good stuff in there but lots of turds as well.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 1, 2019

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
IMDb TV has a shockingly good selection of free streaming movies, but the amount of ads is very distracting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

married but discreet posted:

IMDb TV has a shockingly good selection of free streaming movies, but the amount of ads is very distracting.

Amazon owns them, so is everything on IMDB available on Prime?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Amazon owns them, so is everything on IMDB available on Prime?

Yes, you can stream them through the Prime Video app. They are labeled as IMDB Freedive.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Into the Spider-Verse is basically required viewing. If you aren't a big Spider-Man fan so much of the plot might seem like nonsense, but the animation is amazing. For me in theaters it was almost nauseating at first but it's just so fresh. I think it's even better when rewatching it. The music is amazing as well.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Honestly, I was hoping the whole thing could just be Miles and his uncle hanging out movie because it was just clicking.

But it wasn't and what it became was super duper fun. The soundtrack and art style was great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing bad about Into the Spider Verse is that we aren't getting full Spider Gwen, Spider Noir, or Peni Parker movies :(

Ed: or Peter Porker

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The new stranger things just feels like an amv for 80s music

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm about 6 episodes in and so far it has been great. If it doesn't have any stupid additional superheros and out of place filler episodes to meet the "netflix quota" then it'll easily be better than the last season.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Binged it all today. Far better than Season 2.

Also not really spoiler but final episode has a post credits scene.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any reason to return to Stranger Things if I didn't think the first season was any good? or should I just continue to steer clear like I did when season 2 came out?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do they maintain a cool 80s conspiracy theory element or is it mostly just about the kids and monsters now?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

feedmyleg posted:

Do they maintain a cool 80s conspiracy theory element or is it mostly just about the kids and monsters now?

I'm only on ep 3 so far but evil Russians sending coded messages play a major part

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

It's mostly the kids all working separately, and unaware of the others involvement, to uncover the mystery. The monsters play a much smaller role. It's almost like Netflix gave them a much smaller budget. I don't understand hwy it took them 2 years to put this season together.

It is better than season 2 though.

Edit: Actually, I take the smaller budget back. I think they put all of their money into perfectly recreating an entire 1980s mall to look brand new, instead of placing it into CG budget like in the first two seasons.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 5, 2019

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Just saw Prospect was added to Hulu.

If you're down for a good sci fi western, definitely check it out. Good soundtrack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ooh, that looks fun. Gonna watch that this weekend. Thanks.

Also gonna check out Braid on Amazon tonight.