Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

My town gets congested every weekend because of all the tourists from as near as Kuala Lumpur and as far as China coming to eat durians.

I didn't know we had goons from that part of the world :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Durian smoothies are good.

Freeze-dried durian is very bad.

I’ve never had the courage to crack open a fresh one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've heard Durians described as smelling like rear end while tasting like sweet... rear end.

Looked it up on wikipedia. Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says it's odor is best described as pig-poo poo, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Jul 9, 2019

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1148540073371213825?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
When you need a bunch of medics really fast

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this is years old but still delights me:

'Cake Boss' Buddy Valastro Told Cops, 'You Can't Arrest Me! I'm the Cake Boss!'

you can't arrest me, I'm beloved forums poster Pastry of the Year

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Zesty posted:

I've heard Durians described as smelling like rear end while tasting like sweet... rear end.

Looked it up on wikipedia. Travel and food writer Richard Sterling says it's odor is best described as pig-poo poo, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock.

Durians don't taste too bad. The problem is if you burp at all for 6 hours after eating one. The smell described above comes up from inside you directly into your nostrils.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Afriscipio posted:

Durians don't taste too bad. The problem is if you burp at all for 6 hours after eating one. The smell described above comes up from inside you directly into your nostrils.

What exactly is the appeal of this... ? Food feels like the wrong word.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jojoinnit posted:

I feel the same way about people who go for those weird 10e8 Scoville peppers/chips or whatever. There's a lot of food out there that isn't actively trying to struggle against you, don't see the charm in intentionally subjecting yourself to antagonistic aliments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel the same way about people who go for those weird 10e8 Scoville peppers/chips or whatever. There's a lot of food out there that isn't actively trying to struggle against you, don't see the charm in intentionally subjecting yourself to antagonistic aliments.

Sounds like someone who doesn't even eat live Gagh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like someone who doesn't even eat live Gagh.

Oh, I am extremely without honor.

Edit for content:

https://twitter.com/SJ_Watson/status/1148563546890035200

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jul 9, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Durian smoothies are good.

Freeze-dried durian is very bad.

I’ve never had the courage to crack open a fresh one.

I wonder if all these bad reaction to the taste of durian is because they usually eat frozen ones imported from Asia. Maybe it tastes better fresh?

Anyway, in Asian McDonalds you can occasionally eat durian McFlurry. They have actual durian flesh mixed in.

Randaconda posted:

I didn't know we had goons from that part of the world :3:

We are legion. Takkan goons hilang di dunia.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, I am extremely without honor.

Edit for content:

https://twitter.com/SJ_Watson/status/1148563546890035200

Brave casting decision. But the nerds will flip out about this Hannibal remake just like Ghostbusters. :rolleyes:

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I wonder if all these bad reaction to the taste of durian is because they usually eat frozen ones imported from Asia. Maybe it tastes better fresh?

Anyway, in Asian McDonalds you can occasionally eat durian McFlurry. They have actual durian flesh mixed in.

We are legion. Takkan goons hilang di dunia.

The first time I tried durian I hated it. But I kept trying it because I live in that part of the world and people kept offering it to me. The third time is when I started enjoying it.

I used to be a durian evangelist and I tried to make sure everyone I know tried it, but now I've stopped. Mainly because it's an expensive and difficult craving to satisfy unless you live in SE Asia. Once you get hooked there's no going back.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

There's all kinds of great snacks my boss brings back when he goes to Malaysia and I wish I could get some of them here.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Sounds like Stockholm syndrome to me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This isn't even the first time:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/09/seagull-turns-orange-after-falling-into-vat-of-chicken-tikka-masala
(from June 2016)

I hope this isn't some sort of omen about the results of the upcoming presidential election

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You sent a seagull you idiots! The proper ominous bird is an albatross!I
:arghfist::eng101:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

you can't arrest me, I'm beloved forums poster Pastry of the Year

We had a sketch artist draw the witness' impression of the criminal sir, and you match it exactly!

E: I'm not sure if it's funnier if I post a pastry that looks like your avatar or a shrimp that doesn't.

The_White_Crane has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jul 10, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gender reveal party stunt ends with a car erupting in flames

:australia:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

But were the flames blue or pink?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jojoinnit posted:

I guess if one spends a lot of time around the food, it doesn't seem all that abnormal. I'm kind of neutral on durians myself, but the rest of my family goes wild over it. I mean, it's all right, don't get me wrong, but in my experience the odds are you either get too much seed, or the flesh just doesn't have enough taste. That said, I find something viscerally satisfying about thunking a machete into the skin of a durian and peeling that motherfucker to reveal the flesh inside :black101:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

jojoinnit posted:

But were the flames blue or pink?

"Congratulations, it's a fire elemental!"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

jojoinnit posted:

There are people all over Minnesota who spend each weekend driving long distances to attend various church lutefisk feeds. One of our nearby Lutheran churches runs one and a buddy of mine who goes there said that not only do people drive for more than an hour to eat there, they will literally just pile up a plate full of nasty cod and eat only that.

For those who don't know, lutefisk is the Scandinavian fish equivalent of cheap bologna and was one of those extreme poverty foods from the old world that somehow became something descendents eat to connect with their heritage.

It's made by drying cod with a lye mixture, then reconstituting the fish by soaking it in water over the course of days, progressively washing the lye out by repeatedly changing the water. The resulting fish is then cooked, producing something not unlike cod-flavored jello that is simultaneously tasteless and stinks to high heaven.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When tracking down a suspect, law enforcement might use a K-9 to track down a scent.
This was not necessary for a recent arrest in Missouri.
According to the Clay County Sheriff's Office, over the weekend, Liberty police were searching for a person who a felony warrant for arrest. The person was wanted for possession of a controlled substance.
The suspect hid to avoid police, but apparently let out a fart so loudly, it gave up their hiding spot.

"We’ve gotta give props to Liberty PD for using their senses to sniff him out!" read a Facebook comment from the Clay County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/mobile-app-ktvu/loud-fart-gives-away-suspect-s-hiding-spot-leads-to-arrest

:butt:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

'Hentai is brilliant': Countdown contestant clocks risque winner

and a clip from the show.

I didn't know hentai was in the English dictionary.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://komonews.com/news/offbeat/cake-decorator-confuses-moana-with-marijuana-on-cake-birthday-girl-still-loves-it

:420:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/07/10/57-year-old-texas-man-eaten-by-his-dogs/

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I read a different source for this story earlier that said 3 of the dogs that weren't aggressive were put up for adoption which to me should be it's own news story.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Filed under: dogs, eaten by dogs.

Also they were able to identify him by the only set of clothes he owned.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/xxl/status/1149549937870307329?s=21

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lil Wayne used to love punk/emo (& even did some demos and iirc a whole pop-punk ep) so this is weird to me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Koalas March posted:

Lil Wayne used to love punk/emo (& even did some demos and iirc a whole pop-punk ep) so this is weird to me

He sounds like he was complaining about the crowd not being big enough.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stephen-jennings-uranium-snake_n_5d27b276e4b0060b11e9bfb8

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alligator-humboldt-park-chicago_n_5d2610e3e4b0cfb595ff6c1a
i thought poo poo like this were urban legends :randstare:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Koalas March posted:

He did a whole album and it was... something. Spoiler alert; he cannot sing. Or play guitar. I liked it for its strangeness and the lyrics were aggressive so it was good gym music.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
I'm more interested in the drug addict headline tbh

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Must've been on the way to the most killer party ever.
:pcgaming:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1149767133217415169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
drat, gonna pour one out for u/tacobellblake. (A baja blast, of course)