Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Punk’s entrance into that MITB match is white hot. That’s a good memory. So is Mania XXX, one of the better top-to-bottom cards WWE has had in the last decade.

We still need New Japan to give us some great one-off Wrestle Kingdom entrances like Shinsuke Nakamura thought up — the fire-and-strippers year, followed by the “deck of cards” and King of Strong Style entrance:

https://youtu.be/rLu6g3645XM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Here's my favorite wrestling moment that I rewatch constantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Ff_7d_Jn8&t=121s

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The top two promotions in Mexico are now officially owned by women. Is this the first time this has ever happened? The top two promotions in a country are owned by women?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to watch, I'll definitely be looking into those. I'm also looking thru old matches and promos so I should be busy for a while.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pinche Rudo posted:

The top two promotions in Mexico are now officially owned by women. Is this the first time this has ever happened? The top two promotions in a country are owned by women?

Probably, short of some crazy stock deal that got Linda in charge while Dixie was running TNA

The only wild card would be Japan, since Motoko Baba was running All Japan, but I can't chart the exact status of the 90s splinter promotions and joshi promotions

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NikkolasKing posted:

Related: do you guys think Jeff could have been The Guy? Could he have been Cena-level or even beyond?

I think a Victory Road 2011 situation is inevitable for anyone who puts Jeff Hardy in a marquee position. Beyond concerns with his mic work or how one-dimensional he is as a worker, that dude loves drugs WAAAAAY too much.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Mr E posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to watch, I'll definitely be looking into those. I'm also looking thru old matches and promos so I should be busy for a while.

Every Friday we watch CMLL at 6:30 PT/9:30 ET at PSP.tv. we'll be happy to explain the rules and I'll translate bits of commentary and promos.

http://psp-tv.com/r/RudoDojo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

NutShellBill posted:

Short answer: In the "You'll like who we tell you to like" sense, yes. He has ardent followers, and had serious momentum a couple of times... but it didn't work out for reasons. Jeff Hardy as "The Guy" would get old fast, but I think you could have done it.

Long answer: Not with any longevity.

He's too small for Vince.

He's too weird for Vince.

He wrestles one style, and has one match. It's not a fatal flaw in WWE, but it doesn't help. I've walked away from matches appreciating Jeff's willingness to die for his craft; I've never walked away thinking "Man, Jeff can really work." I'm not even sure he was the better Hardy, wrestling-wise.

His style is high risk, meaning he's always nursing injuries. Jeff might claim he's never had a broken bone, but there were times I've seen 70 year olds with more pep in their step. He's poo poo in the ring if he's not hitting his big spots.

Rey Misterio syndrome: Small(ish), high flyer as the champ? His matches are him getting ragdolled in WWE. Tends not to get you over.

Can't talk. At all. The crowd would still cheer him, but he is death on the mic. He can't do silent and imposing, so your other options are manager (Matt?) or never, ever let him talk. Not great for being the top guy.

Will always piss hot. During his prime, especially. If you have Wellness that isn't a joke, Jeff is always a risk.

Honestly, I'd have taken Prime RVD over Prime Jeff Hardy. Rob might embarass you, but weed is pretty harmless, and AFAIK, Rob has never wrestled high for WWE/ECW. (I mean, I wouldn't be shocked...) I don't think Jeff's problems get better with fame.

The problem with Jeff as well is that someone was always doing what he was doing, better.

Raw Charisma? Sure, but he's got nothing on Jericho, Rock or Punk, and those guys can talk.

High flyer? He's good, and willing to do crazy things, but Misterio exists. Ricochet makes Jeff look like amateur hour. (He does that.) I can only imagine Jeff as the guy, now with the current generation of flyers just being unimpressed, at best. Jeff was more about jumping off high places onto weird things, than dazzling aerials.

I wouldn't even say he was in the best tag team of his era. Edge and Christian, and the Dudleys were definitely better, and there's been a smattering of teams I'd take arguments for being equal, like TWGTT.

I can agree with pretty much all of this but I dunno about the Dudleyz being better than the Hardys. Admittedly I never saw their ECW work and also it's been 20 years and also I was always a Hardys mark but the central conflict and allure back then was the super over Hardys vs. the dastardly and goofy Edge and Christian. Without the Hardys I don't think the tag team division would have soared to the heights that it did.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

TheCool69 posted:

How were Owens and Bucks as a trios? Did they wrestle a lot together and did they have any signature spots?

And what is your "most replayed moment" or ä moment you find yourself watching when you get on the tube and are bored. For me its either the Austin stuns everyone/Jesus pop or Heymans shoot promo on Vince, with the infamoua "YOU STOLE FROM ME" bit

triple h and taka michinoku had a wwf championship match on raw that always stuck with me. i thought taka was cool as hell and i was so psyched to see my sunday night heat boy get a moment in the sun.

actually this is a really good "david v goliath" match, i mean not like him v a 7 foot tall giant or something but he's absolutely shown as a tiny lil dude who from wwf orthodoxy should be swatted away by a guy like trips but he actually has him on the ropes and boy howdy i really wanted to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HhvKwYDrfQ

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
my personal favorite david vs goliath fued is prince puma vs mil muertes in lucha underground, they made muertes look like an actual demon monster and ricochet was so good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

shiksa posted:

triple h and taka michinoku had a wwf championship match on raw that always stuck with me. i thought taka was cool as hell and i was so psyched to see my sunday night heat boy get a moment in the sun.

actually this is a really good "david v goliath" match, i mean not like him v a 7 foot tall giant or something but he's absolutely shown as a tiny lil dude who from wwf orthodoxy should be swatted away by a guy like trips but he actually has him on the ropes and boy howdy i really wanted to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HhvKwYDrfQ

This and the Jericho match around the same time are basically the exact same formula but they're both so amazing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a good moment like that was when neville would have won the belt but seth rollins foot was on the ropes incidentally

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I can agree with pretty much all of this but I dunno about the Dudleyz being better than the Hardys. Admittedly I never saw their ECW work and also it's been 20 years and also I was always a Hardys mark but the central conflict and allure back then was the super over Hardys vs. the dastardly and goofy Edge and Christian. Without the Hardys I don't think the tag team division would have soared to the heights that it did.

the dudleys are far better than the hardys in the ring. matt is the only one of the hardys who can work but both bubba (he's a shithead but he can wrestle) and Dvon (decent wrestling but god mannerisms were top notch) their ecw work was really good as well there's a reason they were the champs for so long. they could get good matches out of people and when they knew they couldnt get a good match they could make it a good brawl.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
the dudleys at thier peak used to just hit 3-D's out of nowhere it was loving crazy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the crowd noise for a 3D is my favourite wrestling thing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TheCool69 posted:

How were Owens and Bucks as a trios? Did they wrestle a lot together and did they have any signature spots?

And what is your "most replayed moment" or ä moment you find yourself watching when you get on the tube and are bored. For me its either the Austin stuns everyone/Jesus pop or Heymans shoot promo on Vince, with the infamoua "YOU STOLE FROM ME" bit

odd choice but DDP's debut with WWE because the crowd opped huge for him and his ensuing promo loving owned. Such a shame he got turbofucked to hell and was the WCW guy they made an example of.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DLC Inc posted:

odd choice but DDP's debut with WWE because the crowd opped huge for him and his ensuing promo loving owned. Such a shame he got turbofucked to hell and was the WCW guy they made an example of.

I've watched this one a bunch of times, too, and was lucky enough to be in the crowd for it. The pop when he unmasked was unreal. NOBODY in the building was expecting it to be DDP which caused the odd reaction of the heel wife stalker getting a massive babyface reaction.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheCool69 posted:

- Hogan and Warrior clearing the ring at Royal Rumble 1990, with everyone suddenly realizing that they're the only two left and have to fight.

- CM Punk dressed as Jeff Hardy.

- Seth Rollins turning on the Shield, complete with that one guy in the crowd screaming, "NOOO!!" right before the chair hits.

- Bryce Remsburg taking a bullet for Ashley Remington.

- John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (Kenny Omega) vs. John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (Bryan Danielson).

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

TheCool69 posted:

'Top 10 Rumble Returns' type videos. Edge, Cena etc.

And Dolph cashing in the night after 'Mania. Biggest pop of the modern era.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheCool69 posted:

Hard Times, daddy.

Everything about that promo owns

Vellius
Sep 22, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

the crowd noise for a 3D is my favourite wrestling thing

are there any finishers that have been protected as strongly as the 3D has been? the rainmaker kind of, sort of comes to mind, but it doesn't have the same longevity, and okada wasn't a feature of multiple promotions.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Vellius posted:

are there any finishers that have been protected as strongly as the 3D has been? the rainmaker kind of, sort of comes to mind, but it doesn't have the same longevity, and okada wasn't a feature of multiple promotions.

The only one that springs to mind is the Doomsday Device but that was just the Road Warriors in general being protected; almost every team has some semblance of a Doomsday variation in their moveset & Dickinson/Jaka's Death Trap is the only one I'm aware of that's used as a finish.

tbh most tag team finishers are pretty easy to protect, since you have a bunch of options why the pin gets broken up that don't involve a kickout (partner breaks it up, guy being pinned isn't the legal man, guy doing the pinning isn't the legal man, there's another wrestler in the ring and the referee is distracted....)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vellius posted:

Who all's kicked out of the 3D? I know one of the MCMGs did back in TNA.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Who all's kicked out of the 3D? I know one of the MCMGs did back in TNA.

Masato Tanaka in ECW while tagging with Balls Mahoney

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Masato Tanaka in ECW while tagging with Balls Mahoney

Dreamer, also

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved the Road Warriors.

Back when they'd squash jobbers on the mothership, it often looked like they had just picked two unlucky fans to get stomped.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I mean, in a sense, that is what was happening

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

If you mean when Raven returned to ECW, Tommy countered it into a DDT, but he didn't kick out of it

Or was there another match?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Who treated jobbers worse, Steiners or LoD?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have watched wrestling diaries I. What are the best Indy wrestling docs right now?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Doomsday Device is a really dangerous move. The Dudleyz did a safe version where Bubba falls back with the opponent.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

DoctorGonzo posted:

I have watched wrestling diaries I. What are the best Indy wrestling docs right now?

I really like First Female of Fight Club. It's a pretty good and very sweet quick look at Nixon Newell/Tegan Nox's last match on the indies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvbFOMPphg

Edit: Rewatching this since I posted it and there's a lot of fun appearances in it. Will Ospreay, Jimmy Havoc, Chris Brookes, Candice LeRae all make an appearance in the first few minutes

Amp fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 11, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who treated jobbers worse, Steiners or LoD?
I'd say the Steiners. The Warriors were dangerous because they were huge, green, immediately pushed as monsters, and encouraged to work stiff, but I don't think they have a rep for taking liberties. The Steiners were just douchebags.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I always like watching Sheamus' debut on Raw where he killed Jamie Noble. There was one guy in the crowd that kept shouting 'GET HIM AGAIN BIG RED AHAHAHA"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheCool69 posted:

I don't think I've ever watched any wrestling bit more than John Zandig being interviewed by Robbie Mireno outside of a CZW show about an attack by The H8 Club. Most famous for Zandig going "JEEZUS" but him just screaming "YOU'RE GOING TO DIE, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE, I GUARANTEE I WILL KILL YOU. AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I always like watching Sheamus' debut on Raw where he killed Jamie Noble. There was one guy in the crowd that kept shouting 'GET HIM AGAIN BIG RED AHAHAHA"

"HE'S A BUM!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Austin doing a run in to help Foley win the title for the first time is another one I've seen a million times. Crowd loses their loving mind.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Foley transforming from Mankind to Cactus and subsequently beating HHHs rear end.

DDPs reveal as the stalker because the crowd reaction is ace. Just a collective booowhaaaaaOOOOOOOOHHHHHH

The crowd realizing Moxley has arrived at Double or Nothing

And for an obscure entry, Akeem erasing Shawn Micahels from existence with a lariat at WM5 and Ventura's deadpan "I think he irritated Akeem" makes me laugh every time.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

This is an odd one, but Jim Cornette's promo after his Midnight Express was attacked by Heyman's version is awesome. He gets a very genuine TV studio pop for finally telling his mother that it's about time he started fighting his own battles and it rules. Kevin von Erich getting an insane pop from a live Raw crowd and JR for putting the Claw on Rob Conway, of all people, is another go-to for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
IF BRET THE HITMAN HART....HAD ANY GUTS....AND HE WALKED DOWN THAT AISLE TONIGHT, STARED ME IN THE FACE LIKE A MAN, I'D SAY "HITMAN - I FOOLED YOU ONCE, AND I'LL FOOL YOU AGAIN"

BECAUSE BRET

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee