Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Merilan posted:

she's the worst in a sense that doesn't really matter, like if the six characters swung at a dummy for 1000 seconds she might finish last but it doesn't really factor into normal gameplay that would be noticeable

Welp. I've just been going off what the guide says because honestly there's no way for me to know who was best for what. It feels too late for me to bother with her now really.
Although my Vaan/Balthier/Ashe (or Penello) party seems to be fine except for the optional stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I kept expecting Fran to be weak or fall off at some point but I had her as Archer/Uhlan and she was great the entire game so I wouldn't stress too much about job choices

this was my party:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think you're supposed to get the Seitengrat really

Yeah it's more like a debug weapon left in as an easter egg or something and not a real weapon you're actually meant to use in the endgame

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It sounds like that guide is poo poo.

This is the only guide worth reading.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you plan to do all content probably dont make everyone a machinist. Other than that you will be able to grind the game out because you can outstat everything

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The animation doesnt actually matter when spears are the highest single dmg weapons in the game + Uhlan gets all the attack boost licenses and STR boosting armour.

But Uhlan does get the short end of the stick when you can pair up jobs for even better combos.

This guide was written by posters of the old IZJS Gfaqs board. Its pretty useful info if you are interested how jobs worked in the original job system

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pRNoNgG65Pk7sGQFlM3-g591q57Qvu46BU2oaV8p7qY/mobilebasic

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 14, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It sounds like that guide is poo poo.

This is the only guide worth reading.

I think it's just outdated and someone's gone back and like...half filled it in with Zodiac stuff so it's now really loving confused.

Help Im Alive posted:

this was my party:

I really, really wish I could respec and make Penello into a Red Mage/Black Mage instead of a red mage/archer.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m playing the switch version, now that I have a better handle on the way the classes work I feel I should go back and respec a few things, so I can say put heavy armor on my samurai. However, good lord I don’t want to go redo ALL THOSE LISCENCES.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah i respecced some characters deep into the game since I no longer needed a job that only was chosen because it had steal, and that was a very long process of menu clicking.

Its even sillier now where I have enough LP to just fill both boards with plenty to spare.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ManSedan posted:

I’m playing the switch version, now that I have a better handle on the way the classes work I feel I should go back and respec a few things, so I can say put heavy armor on my samurai. However, good lord I don’t want to go redo ALL THOSE LISCENCES.

Unsurprisingly loads of the reviews of the PC one are asking for the respec option to be added. It's really stupid that I can't respec now I actually have an idea of how stuff works.

With my Breaker/Shikari can someone tell me what weapons I should be using? I picked up a level 4 axe really early on and I've had that for ages, nothing I've found has been better. I'm at the uh....spiritual mountain place and it's raining, hopefully that's enough to identify where I'm at. Shops are now actually selling the level 4 axe to me.
I'm a bit confused as to why Shikari is a good one to blend it with tbh, should I be getting ninja swords, are they better? Or?

The same kinda goes for picking the two handed licenses on my Knight, I've not even SEEN a two hander yet with the exception of the story one.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
samurai swords are cool and ninja swords have elemental damage so they're a good way for melee characters to still get bonus damage and target weaknesses, etc, but there's also like five ninja swords in the entire game and they're mostly unique lol

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

samurai swords are cool and ninja swords have elemental damage so they're a good way for melee characters to still get bonus damage and target weaknesses, etc, but there's also like five ninja swords in the entire game and they're mostly unique lol

The licenses for unique things (like the blood sword) are easily the strangest part of the system to me.
Why do I want a specific skill to use a specific weapon, it's bizzare.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Well FFXII came after FFTA where Judges and laws were a big story and gameplay element.

Im guessing similarly laws and judges uphold them were supposed to be a bigger part of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I beat dorter city roadblock while barely grinding and actually using mages, now I can actually start playing (for 3 days before I stop)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What even is the point of enemy skills you can learn in FF7 if a third of them aren't obtainable until the end of the game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taear posted:

The licenses for unique things (like the blood sword) are easily the strangest part of the system to me.
Why do I want a specific skill to use a specific weapon, it's bizzare.

Its a double gating mechanic so they can be more liberal with ways to acquire weapons and worry less about when you obtain them since youll still need the license and its a tax on LP points so you arent just buying the stat boosting ones.

Neither reason works correctly in 12.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Taear posted:

Welp. I've just been going off what the guide says because honestly there's no way for me to know who was best for what. It feels too late for me to bother with her now really.
Although my Vaan/Balthier/Ashe (or Penello) party seems to be fine except for the optional stuff.

I had Fran as uhlan when I last played it (IZJS so only one job) and she rocked

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Star Man posted:

What even is the point of enemy skills you can learn in FF7 if a third of them aren't obtainable until the end of the game?

The last enemy skill you can obtain is in the Northern Crater. You can always leave said crater. I agree it's pointless if you've already beaten both weapons and grinded for sources in the Sunken Gelnika, though.

Also some enemy skills are just utterly pointless and are for completionists.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Star Man posted:

the ones you can learn are always useful. the ones you can't learn until the very end of the game are at once brokenly strong and also redundant. roulette, who gives a poo poo. angel whisper is like what if white wind always fully healed you instead of currenthp*2 and only hit one character. pandora's box is just a poor man's ultima and shadow flare is just a non-elemental spell that probably does less damage than your regular attack.

they're flashy as hell though. like in tyool 2019 you look at them and think "ya so" but in 1997 that poo poo was cutting edge graphics and blew your mind

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

the ones you can learn are always useful. the ones you can't learn until the very end of the game are at once brokenly strong and also redundant. roulette, who gives a poo poo. angel whisper is like what if white wind always fully healed you instead of currenthp*2 and only hit one character. pandora's box is just a poor man's ultima and shadow flare is just a non-elemental spell that probably does less damage than your regular attack.

they're flashy as hell though. like in tyool 2019 you look at them and think "ya so" but in 1997 that poo poo was cutting edge graphics and blew your mind

I do kinda wonder how people got Big Guard without a guide. Me and my friends all played the game and we did all the optional poo poo (gold chocobos, knights of round, the weapons and etc) but none of us had Big Guard.
Casting manipulate on an enemy and getting it to use a skill on you just seemed....I dunno, mad.

I think the same goes for the materia based attack Emerald Weapon does, you just have to be lucky enough to kill it before it gets to do it unless you've read a guide telling you to take your materia off.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

you can obtain beta, matra magic, big guard and white wind on the first disk and, combined, they render about 80% of your materia obsolete and will trivialize bosses until pretty much disk 3

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

roulette, who gives a poo poo. angel whisper is like what if white wind always fully healed you instead of currenthp*2 and only hit one character. pandora's box is just a poor man's ultima and shadow flare is just a non-elemental spell that probably does less damage than your regular attack.

Hell yeah they blew my mind. I remember all of these specific enemy skills too:
- Roulette I desperately tried to make work, like, desperately, and I used it so often but it suuuucked.
- Angel Whisper got one cast in the whole game, at which point I got mad and said "gently caress it why would I not just use white wind twice instead of angel whisper three times this poo poo sucks"
- I used Pandora's Box a bunch, because I was a big dummy who thought it was more powerful than Ultima, because it looked cooler. That's not how it works.
- Red XIII always used shadow flare for me, because I played him as exclusively a magic user. It was like, his go-to attack on my game

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

cock hero flux posted:

you can obtain beta, matra magic, big guard and white wind on the first disk and, combined, they render about 80% of your materia obsolete and will trivialize bosses until pretty much disk 3

I'm aware because I've used them and they erase things pretty fast. Big Guard is insane.

But as I look at a guide to see where they all are, it's silly how so many of them are tucked away into disc three instead of just two or three.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

I do kinda wonder how people got Big Guard without a guide. Me and my friends all played the game and we did all the optional poo poo (gold chocobos, knights of round, the weapons and etc) but none of us had Big Guard.
Casting manipulate on an enemy and getting it to use a skill on you just seemed....I dunno, mad.

I think the same goes for the materia based attack Emerald Weapon does, you just have to be lucky enough to kill it before it gets to do it unless you've read a guide telling you to take your materia off.
It's a nice riddle, when you aren't 12 and the translation isn't also at a 12 year old level. It's called Aire Tam Storm. Aire Tam is materia backwards. Materia Storm. It hurts you based on materia.

Whalley posted:

- I used Pandora's Box a bunch, because I was a big dummy who thought it was more powerful than Ultima, because it looked cooler. That's not how it works.
On one hand, that is almost how it works. On the other, there's no one to really cast it on since you get it in the crater and it's not like it should be a go to for Ruby or Emerald.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm aware because I've used them and they erase things pretty fast. Big Guard is insane.

But as I look at a guide to see where they all are, it's silly how so many of them are tucked away into disc three instead of just two or three.

considering how obviously messy ff7's devlopment was i doubt there was any real thought given to it beyond enabling some random flags on random enemies to let you grab the skills that didnt seem that gamebreaking, which tbh im fine with. having a big load of endgame exclusive enemy skills is kind of cool, it gives you something to mess around with in the endgame

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WaltherFeng posted:

Well FFXII came after FFTA where Judges and laws were a big story and gameplay element.

Im guessing similarly laws and judges uphold them were supposed to be a bigger part of the game.

pretty much, FFTA was meant to come out after FF XII so it was built around an earlier iteration of the game. At some point, judges and laws were mostly pulled out of the final game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The remastered versions of 7 and 9 are fantastic to let you play through the game again to lessen the grind.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am almost to the end of disc one for the first time ever.

But if I were to replay FF7 again, I'd rather play the PSX version because the smaller resolution and jagged edges of the pixels somehow make it look a little less like butt.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
enemy skills own and its easily the most useful materia you can get before breeding a gold chocobo

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Looper posted:

enemy skills own and its easily the most useful materia you can get before breeding a gold chocobo

It's really only useful if you've got a guide though.

zedprime posted:

It's a nice riddle, when you aren't 12 and the translation isn't also at a 12 year old level. It's called Aire Tam Storm. Aire Tam is materia backwards. Materia Storm. It hurts you based on materia.

Yea, I'd have been 13. The thing is when you're that deep into the fight I dunno if I'd even have been looking at the name of the skill, just noticing that I'm dead now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

The guides I've read mention that it's got a really slow attack animation. I've made Fran my Uhlan, but I hear that she's the worst character.

Those guides are written by minmaxers where a fifth of a second difference makes something useless. This game does not require attention to anywhere near that level of detail. If you're at level 99 doing a 12-hit katana combo that might add up, but if you're level 99 doing a 12-hit katana combo and still losing it's not because you gave the katana to Penelo.

Everybody is good for everything and their base differences matter only if you're doing a min-level run.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 15, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just manipulate the RNG in XII to get yourself a Seitengrat or three and call it a day.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah I loved FFXII (I think it's an S-tier FF) but there's way too many poo poo behind gates you would never even get any hints about without the aid of guides and on a couple of occasions some items are past the point of no return and unable to be gotten. It gets rather obnoxious sometimes.

I used to really despise FFXII, but Zodiac Age improved my opinion of it by several magnitudes. It has its issues, but man, ZA on the PS4 playing 4x speed really makes the grind easier.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Taear posted:

when i was a kid i got Big Guard without a guide because enemy skill had been my dream ever since playing Secret of Mana. so you bet your rear end that i used Manipulate as soon as i realized what it did, and i used every skill on every enemy i saw against myself.

yes, i did play ff7 before ff6

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seiferguy posted:

Just manipulate the RNG in XII to get yourself a Seitengrat or three and call it a day.

Not doable on PC, don't know about Switch.

E: ah, on PC there's a RNG reader that came out since I last played. Took me a few minutes to get the hang of it but good to know. I would still argue that FFXII is best played not trying to 100% but just go for steals and chests and use what you find. Just know that on the Cerobi Steppe everything wants you to wear the diamond armlet and nowhere else does (in Zodiac version, original needed a guide for that stuff)

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Oh no, they have VIII in my XIV

Oh wait, that game's soundtrack is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pd0ALPOhnQ

Rad music aside, I love that the boss casts the same ludicrously over the top galaxy buster as the original, you can see it at 4:50 in the video.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Rad music aside, I love that the boss casts the same ludicrously over the top galaxy buster as the original, you can see it at 4:50 in the video.

This is awesome in every way.

Definitely going to get back to these expansions at later.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanfy posted:

Not Man with the Machine Gun, 0/10.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not Man with the Machine Gun, 0/10.

They got to spread the hits out over 12 raids, it'll come.

The hub for the raids has the Balamb theme as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

A Sometimes Food posted:

They got to spread the hits out over 12 raids, it'll come.

The hub for the raids has the Balamb theme as well.

That's the map theme.