Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mind_Taker posted:

What is the false positive rate for most home pregnancy tests? I'm having trouble finding an actual percentage through Google and am just seeing "it's rare."

From my understanding the false negative rate is just 1 minus the accuracy on the box, but not sure where to find the false positive rate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4119102/

It depends on the level of hCG that the test is calibrated to pick up. The very early ones (5 mIU/ml) would start to see some false positives in women over 40 (around 2% for 41-49, up to 6% for 50+). Normal tests (25 mIU/ml) aren't expected to give any false positives with the natural range of hCG in healthy nonpregnant women.

Fertility drugs can throw it off more than that, and so can really rare cancers.

However, very early miscarriages are relatively common, so there are plenty of cases where the embryo started to implant, triggered hCG that was detectable, then failed to progress and the hCG levels stall for a bit then fall.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

False positives are very very rare with home pregnancy tests. Most ‘false positives’ are not even true false positives, but are people reading very faint evaporation lines outside the given testing window (i.e. digging it out of the
trash an hour later for a second look). Additionally, some people may have a positive home pregnancy test, but have a very early miscarriage which is mistaken for a period. True false positives are generally caused by certain fertility drugs or by a person having a tumor (benign or otherwise) that secretes Hcg.

They’re a really good test- pretty much every positive when the instructions are followed and it’s within the expiration date is due to the presence of Hcg. Exact false positive rates would vary by brand/format, but as a testing professional- they’re negligible.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Have any of you had to deal with heat rash while pregnant? What did you use to treat it? I have horrible heat rash where my bra sits under my breasts. It’s so itchy and painful.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

False positives are very very rare with home pregnancy tests. Most ‘false positives’ are not even true false positives, but are people reading very faint evaporation lines outside the given testing window (i.e. digging it out of the
trash an hour later for a second look). Additionally, some people may have a positive home pregnancy test, but have a very early miscarriage which is mistaken for a period. True false positives are generally caused by certain fertility drugs or by a person having a tumor (benign or otherwise) that secretes Hcg.

They’re a really good test- pretty much every positive when the instructions are followed and it’s within the expiration date is due to the presence of Hcg. Exact false positive rates would vary by brand/format, but as a testing professional- they’re negligible.

Thanks! She took two more cheap tests just to confirm and both came back positive. We are very excited since we’d been trying for over a year now to get pregnant and we were starting to get concerned.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

Thanks! She took two more cheap tests just to confirm and both came back positive. We are very excited since we’d been trying for over a year now to get pregnant and we were starting to get concerned.

Congratulations! I can sympathize with a long wait- wishing you a happy and uneventful 9 months.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Have any of you had to deal with heat rash while pregnant? What did you use to treat it? I have horrible heat rash where my bra sits under my breasts. It’s so itchy and painful.

I used some gold bond powder. It helped some but never fully got rid of it.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

ghost story posted:

I used some gold bond powder. It helped some but never fully got rid of it.

Thank you! I’ll give it a try

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Holy crap. Having a cold while pregnant is the absolute worst. This is day 4, and I woke up coughing so much that I threw up the water I drank. How did you all cope with being sick while pregnant?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Netflix :cry: Honestly, tons of warm showers and hot tea and resting. It sucks to be sick and not want or be able to take anything!

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Holy crap. Having a cold while pregnant is the absolute worst. This is day 4, and I woke up coughing so much that I threw up the water I drank. How did you all cope with being sick while pregnant?

Crying. A lot.

Lots of popsicles for sore throat. A lot of massages and showers for the whole skin / body ache. Humidifier helped a lot.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Hi goons.

I posted here about this same time last year, for a pregnancy that unfortunately ended in miscarriage during the seventh week. We were going to try getting pregnant again sooner, but ultimately decided to wait longer as we've had a lot of deaths in the family the past couple years, and I just wasn't up for risking another miscarriage and more grief until recently.

This is the second cycle we tried, and I got a positive pregnancy test yesterday (standard test). Then a negative one this morning (digital test). So...I have no idea what's going on. Maybe the positive was a chemical pregnancy, or maybe I'm testing too early and the digital just isn't as sensitive. I'll probably try another standard test later in the day, but I'm really trying not to worry about it and focus on the fact whatever happens is OK.

If the positive one was correct, we have a great marriage and can handle everything. If the negative was correct, then delaying pregnancy awhile longer could give me a chance to get my deviated septum fixed before carrying a child (my primary care was just pushing me to do this...apparently third trimester can cause a lot of sinus issues and she's worried about me breathing/sleeping properly with my messed up nose). So either way, it's really OK.

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I just thought it might help reassure myself everything is really, really OK either way if I shared with goons I guess

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Digital tests tend to be less sensitive. Retesting tomorrow morning with a manual test (or the morning after, if you can wait that long) will give you a better idea of what’s going on. Morning urine tends to be the most concentrated so you’ll be less likely to get a false negative. Good luck!

I found testing and early pregnancy after a miscarriage and a chemical pregnancy to be pretty emotionally complicated. It sounds like you’re approaching this from a healthy place, but don’t hesitate to feel whatever you go through- positive or negative- and work through it with your partner.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

BadSamaritan posted:

Digital tests tend to be less sensitive. Retesting tomorrow morning with a manual test (or the morning after, if you can wait that long) will give you a better idea of what’s going on. Morning urine tends to be the most concentrated so you’ll be less likely to get a false negative. Good luck!

I found testing and early pregnancy after a miscarriage and a chemical pregnancy to be pretty emotionally complicated. It sounds like you’re approaching this from a healthy place, but don’t hesitate to feel whatever you go through- positive or negative- and work through it with your partner.

That's all good advice, thank you. Honestly, I had planned to not test until my period failed to arrive but...yeah, easier said than done.

I won't lie, it'll be tough if this turned out to be a chemical pregnancy. But my spouse and I are planning for us to have a nice meal or movie out both tomorrow and the next day—so however the results come in, we have two nice dates together to look forward to. And I went ahead and made an appointment with my therapist so, again, however it pans out...I've got someone to talk to lined up so I can get the feelings out.

Basically my goal for the next 24-48 hours is to try to make my peace with the chips falling as they may, and taking care of myself with treats and sleep. Man this is a rough roller coaster though...

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Anyone have any experience using evening primrose oil to prepare the cervix for delivery? My wife's talked it over with her midwife, OBGYN, and GP, and they're all in agreement, so I'm mostly curious how effective it is. I've got a bunch of the stuff growing in my back yard, and now I find out it's a cervix softening sometimes-abortifacent? Plants are fuckin wild.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

don't shove garden weeds up yr cooter hth

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Anyone have any experience using evening primrose oil to prepare the cervix for delivery? My wife's talked it over with her midwife, OBGYN, and GP, and they're all in agreement, so I'm mostly curious how effective it is. I've got a bunch of the stuff growing in my back yard, and now I find out it's a cervix softening sometimes-abortifacent? Plants are fuckin wild.

Evening primrose oil in capsule form is supposed to soften the cervix, that’s how I used it. Not direct from the plant. 2 capsules up the vag before bed. Can take it orally as well.

My midwife did comment that my cervix was soft on examination. Didn’t make labour start early in my case, but I progressed well once it started.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
When did insomnia start for you? I thought it was mostly a 3rd trimester thing, but towards the end of the 1st tri I started not being able to sleep at all, even after using sleep aids. Now I’m 13 weeks and I seem to have transitioned to sleep shifts — I can get to sleep ok for a few hours, then around 3:30 am I’m wide awake and need to go watch TV until I fall back asleep around 5. Will I ever sleep through the night again before the kid’s a toddler?

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 21, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm not going to stuff weeds up anyone's pussy. y'all i ain't got that GOOP liability insurance.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

So...yeah. Negative tests. The only explanation that makes sense is a chemical pregnancy. It's not the most enjoyable second act to follow a miscarriage but it could be a lot worse.

So I guess for now I'll just be focusing on taking a deep breath and taking care of myself. And I've scheduled an appointment to see if following my doctor's advice and getting my deviated septum fixed before trying again is feasible. It would be nice to be able to breath through my nose properly before pregnancy makes my sinuses even worse. But if they tell me fixing the septum can't be worked out for several months then I have to decide if I want to wait that long. I don't have any rush, technically, but I feel some pressure at my age being 33, and having had to already delay things so much. But however it works out I'll handle it.

Anyway. Thanks as always thread. Hope to see you all again in a few months with better news.

Best of luck to everyone with their pregnancies and/or infants.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
^^ Sorry to hear it, but good luck and hopefully you can get your septum sorted and enjoy breathing while pregnant.

It looks like the getting knocked up thread is dead, is there a new one I'm missing? Got my IUD out today so I guess we're on this train. (Also I think it's funny that on the consent form, ability to get pregnant was on the benefits and the risks.)

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Hey pregnancy thread. My wife is approaching the 12 week mark. Any advice for the next few weeks? I'm trying to make her feel more comfortable, but I'm at a loss.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Hey pregnancy thread. My wife is approaching the 12 week mark. Any advice for the next few weeks? I'm trying to make her feel more comfortable, but I'm at a loss.

Nausea starts going away for a lot of women around this time- or in the next few weeks. I found having nice non-alcoholic/non-caffeinated drinks (flavored water, seltzer, juice etc) in the fridge was really good, since I’d get walloped by thirst every once in a while and I’d get a little sick of water all day erry day. Also, maybe have a pregnancy pillow on hand because once you want one you really want one. Same with some comfy maternity clothes/bras.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Afriscipio posted:

Assuming no HG, you're looking at probably the easiest period - post-nausea but before you start feeling super preggo. Every pregnancy is different though. For me, this is when I started feeling the weird relaxin effects on my already dodgy connective tissue. Slept on my shoulder funny one night and then couldn't use that arm for two weeks. Same thing happened later around 28 weeks, and that time it was even worse.

Ask her if there's any food she's gravitating toward and do the shopping for her. I completely went off meat my first trimester (prepping it made me gag) and got really into bell peppers (???) through the 2nd tri. Not craving per se, but just all of a sudden really enjoyed them, so my husband would pick up big bags of them from Sprouts on the way home.

Seconding the pregnancy pillow. It was the only way to lessen the hip pain.

I dunno, rub her feet? It's summer and being swollen in the heat loving sucks.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Never underestimate being there for her emotionally, too. My husband has been so supportive and awesome letting me complain about the aches and pains of pregnancy. It’s been a great support.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Did anyone else have issues with not being able to eat much during pregnancy? I get full so quickly and then I don’t want to eat other meals because I’m still too full. Does that change later in pregnancy? I’m 16 weeks now and it’s been going on for probably 8 weeks now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It gets steadily worse, then you lose 15lbs of backed up content in one day!

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, you pretty much just have to get in the habit of grazing constantly. Small meals every two to four hours usually did the trick for me. Also antacids are your friend.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Here I was thinking I would be eating like a horse and gaining a ton of weight :shrug:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Here I was thinking I would be eating like a horse and gaining a ton of weight :shrug:

Nah, that's usually later. I lost weight for a long time just due to not being hungry, but then at like 6-7 months I was hit by THE HUNGER. My weight gain was a lovely sigmoidal and my doc was like whoa cool it. Then in the third trimester I went back to not wanting to eat.

Take care of yourself, listen to your body, try not to worry too much unless you're actually told to do so by a medical professional. Normal is gonna change every few weeks and you're going to be surprised every time. Enjoy the good and try to remember that the bad is only temporary.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm looking into a pregnancy pillow. We've found that water with lemon is a winner for nausea, so I've stocked up on citrus.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Looking for advice on whether I should find out the baby's sex.

I have a very strong preference for a girl. If it's a girl I think I will be thrilled, and if it's a boy I'm afraid I will be terribly disappointed. I don't want to feel this way; it doesn't jive with my politics or feminism, but I can't help it. I know what genitalia my baby has does not determine what kind of person they'll be, what they can and can't do in life, or even their gender identity. I still want a girl with all my heart.

I was planning on NOT finding out, assuming that after the baby is born and in my arms I won't care what genitalia it has, and will just love it no matter what. But what if I am upset and disappointed in the delivery room? Is it better to process those feelings now? But then what if I spend the rest of the pregnancy disappointed and sad.

I'm 15 weeks, by the way, so I still have a while to think about this before the 20 week ultrasound. Help!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

boquiabierta posted:

Looking for advice on whether I should find out the baby's sex.

I have a very strong preference for a girl. If it's a girl I think I will be thrilled, and if it's a boy I'm afraid I will be terribly disappointed. I don't want to feel this way; it doesn't jive with my politics or feminism, but I can't help it. I know what genitalia my baby has does not determine what kind of person they'll be, what they can and can't do in life, or even their gender identity. I still want a girl with all my heart.

I was planning on NOT finding out, assuming that after the baby is born and in my arms I won't care what genitalia it has, and will just love it no matter what. But what if I am upset and disappointed in the delivery room? Is it better to process those feelings now? But then what if I spend the rest of the pregnancy disappointed and sad.

I'm 15 weeks, by the way, so I still have a while to think about this before the 20 week ultrasound. Help!

That’s a tough and very personal choice. I can tell you that I really really wanted a boy. We did the blood test to test for abnormalities which also will tell you gender. I found out we were having a little girl. The excitement FAR outweighed any disappointment, and I’ve been able to get used to the idea of having a little girl. For me, finding out and processing what that means worked out really well. In the end, it’s your choice, BUT be prepared for someone accidentally telling you the sex at the ultrasound or doctor’s office. I’ve heard a few stories about couples who didn’t want to know who were accidentally told.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just know that the disappointment is understandable and your emotions aren't wrong. You'll be super excited either way, but not necessarily in the moment you find out, and that's *okay*.

If you find out early, then you'll have extra time to transform into excited, and then the birth will just be full of excitement, at least that's how it was for me. I wanted a girl, but love both me boys to the ends of the earth.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Like others have said, it’s a very personal choice. Having some time to process your feelings and shift towards excitement before delivery may be good- delivery is already super emotional and exhausting, and having a little space to think about it might take some pressure off.

Fwiw, I didn’t really know I had a bit of a preference/baggage until I found out the sex ahead of time, and I’m glad I had the time to process and get very excited before the baby came. I don’t know if I would have had the same feelings if I had found out in the delivery room, but if I had I may have been pretty mad at myself for not just being thrilled and grateful in the moment. Instead I was able to just be joyful when we got to meet our baby.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just go for it. You don't need to share the results and it's important to discuss names.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I vote finding out in advance because you don’t want to risk disappointment at birth. I don’t think it’s guaranteed that having baby in your arms eliminates disappointment. I really wanted a girl for my second and was absolutely gutted to find out it was another boy. By birth I had mostly come to terms with it, but he’s 9 months old and I’m still low key disappointed. I also know people who were all “I don’t know why I was disappointed I love him this was meant to be” after holding baby in their arms. So ymmv but I personally wouldn’t risk it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm going to repeat, though, your feelings are valid, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. How you handle those feelings is important, of course, but we're lizard brain flesh skeletons, and how those brains work is just how they work.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I didn’t want to find out, and I really wanted a boy, and I had strong feelings that it was a boy. The ultrasound tech slipped and called it a he, so at the next ultrasound we found out the gender for real and it was actually a girl. In the weeks between, I was so happy that it was a boy, and when we found out it was actually a girl, I was crushed. I cried, and I felt guilty for not wanting a girl, and it was rough. However, I had time before the birth to get used to the idea of having a girl, and when she was born she was so perfect it didn’t matter any more. Now, four months in, I can’t imagine having a boy because our little girl is so amazing.

In retrospect I’m glad we found out because I had strong feelings about wanting a certain sex. I know that I would have been shocked and disappointed at the birth if we didn’t know. If we have a second kid, I’m not going to find out, because it doesn’t matter to me any more.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

peanut posted:

Just go for it. You don't need to share the results and it's important to discuss names.

I would definitely want to keep it a secret if we found out but I don't think I'd be able to.

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Still don't know what we're going to do but this is all very helpful to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I’ll advocate the opposite direction, though the difference was that it was my husband who was disappointed instead of me. He’s decided that for him it’s hard to be disappointed when there’s an actual baby in your arms. So we didn’t find out ahead of time when our son was born, and we’re not this time either.

I do know a lot of women who felt like it was easier to connect with the baby knowing the sex and having a name picked out, so that might make a difference to you as well.

But as everyone said, it’s perfectly valid to have feelings of disappointment.