Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I heard about not being able to visualize stuff as a disorder recently-ish and I was really confused because I never even knew my near-total inabiility to do so wasn't completely normal. I assumed everyone had as much trouble as I do when asked to visualize stuff, which is why it's always like "Close your eyes and take a deep breath and imagine an apple" or whatever.

re: intrusive thoughts, getting them about yourself is one thing, but if you want to get REALLY scared, have them about other people/animals.

2019 minus 119 is 1900, a year which heralded a century during which Some poo poo Would Go Down

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Eh, at least you have the ability to. Some of us lack conscious (and unconscious) visualization whatsoever.

Post/username etc etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait if you can't visualize things doesn't that, like, gently caress up your sense of direction and all sorts?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Darth Walrus posted:

you're hunting big scary monsters for scientific research and making gear out of their body parts
excuse me

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I only learned recently that my visualisation of things sucks.

Like, obviously I know what an apple looks like and I can picture one in my head but it's not super vivid - it's less like an actual image and more like a sense. I think that might be part of why I suck at art so bad. I can draw stuff and get ideas across, like when we play a game of Telestrations people can mostly get what I'm going for, but my drawings are like, noticeably the worst out of all of my wife's family.

I asked my wife if she could vividly imagine an apple and she said "Yeah but it's switching between red and green", which blew my mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol if green and red aren't the same thing.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Drop your loving plate and we'll move on to a different one.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Boris says No Irish Backstop. Do you guys think the violation of good friday on brit side will set anything off?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WhatEvil posted:

Same, weirdly.

I wonder if there is some connection between visualisation ability and mental health?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Boris says No Irish Backstop. Do you guys think the violation of good friday on brit side will set anything off?

We have no idea what actual stance the 2 candidates will take on anything, 'cos every single statement they've made during the campaign has been squarely aimed at the 160,000 extremist lunatics that make up the Conservative Party. I'd ASSUME that the winner will switch to a somewhat less cretinous stance later on, but honestly, who knows at this point.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Isn't that like one of the things that straight up could reunite the island?

OwlFancier posted:

Wait if you can't visualize things doesn't that, like, gently caress up your sense of direction and all sorts?

I'm not entirely sure why it would...? I have a pretty good sense of direction, I'm usually the one who can remember and navigate much more easily and quickly than others.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

Both frontrunner Boris Johnson and underdog Jeremy Hunt said on Monday that they would not be willing to accept the so-called Northern Irish backstop element of Theresa May's Brexit deal, even if a time limit was set.

"I'm not attracted to time limits or unilateral escape hatches or all these elaborate devices, glosses, codicils and so on that you could apply to the backstop," Johnson said during a leadership debate organised by the Sun newspaper and TalkRadio.

Hunt agreed, adding: "The backstop, as it is, is dead ... I don't think tweaking it with a time limit will do the trick, we've got to find a new way."

So tbis is all posturing?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Illuyankas posted:

e: "there are 109 squares on an infinite chessboard that can be reached by a knight within three moves" who the gently caress works this poo poo out

Paul.Power posted:

:shrug: Mathematicians.

Like, to a certain kind of mind* it's fun to investigate stuff like this, in the same way it's fun to write a piece of music or paint a landscape. You have a think about something, ask yourself a question, start investigating the answer and hopefully get a proof out by the end of it. No doubt there's a sequence that goes "number of squares reachable in 1,2,3,4,5..." moves, and (if you want to get really excited) maybe that sequence pops up somewhere else in maths too.

At the end of the day, maths is an art form that just happens to be spectacularly useful for scientists as well.

* Heck, myself included. Not this particular problem, but I love sitting down and thinking about maths when I get the chance.
Relating back to this, I made a thing.

The blue squares are the 33 squares reachable in 2 (or in one case, 0) moves.
The red squares are the 76 squares reachable in 3 (or in eight cases, 1) moves.

This gives a grand total of 109.

That's one way to spend an hour of my day off!

Fun thing there is that there are four squares relatively close to the knight's start point (two squares away from it on the four diagonals) that take a whopping four moves to reach. You want to be safe from a knight, stand there!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 16, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm not entirely sure why it would...? I have a pretty good sense of direction, I'm usually the one who can remember and navigate much more easily and quickly than others.

Because having a visualization of a place is how I navigate, and also why I do it better in open spaces than in cities and poo poo.

I assume you must do it a different way than being able to basically zoom out with your brain.

E: also unrelated but I keep meaning to link you to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVs4mC7_V7w

I have a vague sense that it might be your jam but not sure why. The whole album is full of belters though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 16, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Not sure how to change an attachment or even if that's possible, so I made a different version showcasing which squares can be reached in just 0 or 1 moves too

Purple: Min 0 moves, 1 square
Green: Min 1 moves, 8 squares
Blue: Min 2 moves, 32 squares
Red: Min 3 moves, 68 squares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
NEERRRRRRD

(I do like math problems too though)

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I m the opposite of can't visualize thing in my brain. I pretty do every math solution with the whole equation visualized.

I am also very bad at associated coworker faces with names. So my brain does have any space/RAM to do that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WhatEvil posted:

Like, obviously I know what an apple looks like and I can picture one in my head but it's not super vivid - it's less like an actual image and more like a sense. I think that might be part of why I suck at art so bad. I can draw stuff and get ideas across, like when we play a game of Telestrations people can mostly get what I'm going for, but my drawings are like, noticeably the worst out of all of my wife's family.

I asked my wife if she could vividly imagine an apple and she said "Yeah but it's switching between red and green", which blew my mind.

Nah most people suck at that, the vast majority of artists don't draw from memory but from photographs or reference sheets. If you see somebody throwing out an awesome sketch without those things it's more likely to be because they've drawn it before and remember where the lines should go, rather than because they have perfect powers of visualisation and are doing a first time still life of a picture in their head.

OwlFancier posted:

Because having a visualization of a place is how I navigate, and also why I do it better in open spaces than in cities and poo poo.

I assume you must do it a different way than being able to basically zoom out with your brain.

Personally I keep track of left/right turns, like a cockroach. I (almost) always know where I am because I know how far I've gone and which direction I'm facing.

Being a passenger in a car totally fucks me up though.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 16, 2019

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

E: also unrelated but I keep meaning to link you to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVs4mC7_V7w

I have a vague sense that it might be your jam but not sure why. The whole album is full of belters though.

Mine's pretty good actually, although I'm terrible at road names and the like- I am somehow capable of remembering a map or where something is without visualizing it, it's just instinct. I have about as much clue as how that works as you do.

On the mental health stuff no one's sure yet because this thing is 5 years old but there's theories Aphantasia actually helps prevent/dampen PTSD - if you can't visualize, its harder to trigger flashbacks to traumatic events, relive traumatic memories, etc.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 16, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I navigate by a gut feel. In the same way you might have a muscle memory for where the light switches are in your house, I just have a gut feeling for where my destination is and can just sorta go in that direction. Even if I've only seen it on a map I get that sense that my next junction or village is over there ish.

I can visualise quite well. Like if I'm working on my motorbike I'll imagine in my head the little movie of what pieces I'm taking off and in what order.

What I struggle with is concepts. When people talk about things that you couldn't touch with your hands like "the form of the good". I can understand peoples emotions and relatable stuff like that, but it's when people start to form these really big theories on how language works, what gender fundamentally is, what different kinds of politics there are and so on that I struggle to follow. If it's on that academic level it's pie in the sky until someone can explain what people in physical space do with that or how that has them feel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it feels somewhat like proprioception to me except it's linked to a visual concept too.

I guess you could have the former without the latter though.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Great BBC future article about aphantasia (inability to imagine images)

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160524-this-man-had-no-idea-his-mind-is-blind-until-last-week

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Photographer would kinda be the job I'd pick for someone with that too, given that ability to observe what is actually in front of you without filling in the blanks automatically is quite important to reproducing images.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Personally I keep track of left/right turns, like a cockroach. I (almost) always know where I am because I know how far I've gone and which direction I'm facing.

Being a passenger in a car totally fucks me up though.

I do this, but am perpetually hosed up by the amount of roads that have a very slight curve and the amount of junctions that are a few degrees off 90 degrees. This is how I once (in the long long ago before mobile phones with GPS) set off on foot to go from just near Old Street station to the Museum of London and ended up at Tower Hill having basically done a giant semi-circle out to Smithfield and back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
If I've been to a place once I can usually find it again, though it can sometimes take a while.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Excitedly bouncing around over the thread veering back towards brainchat again but unable to do a proper effortpost on hippocampal function because I’m on my phone, so I’ll just say that SLaM is a pretty difficult problem for robots as well so don’t feel too bad.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Was there some chat around a pre-summer VONC this week? Seem to remember the Tories being whipped for attendance on the off chance. Is that still a thing?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This week sounds unlikely.

I can imagine a VONC as soon as PM Boris steps into parliament next week though.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Was there some chat around a pre-summer VONC this week? Seem to remember the Tories being whipped for attendance on the off chance. Is that still a thing?

If it was gonna happen it was next week - 23/24th iirc. Dunno whats up with it atm.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do this, but am perpetually hosed up by the amount of roads that have a very slight curve and the amount of junctions that are a few degrees off 90 degrees. This is how I once (in the long long ago before mobile phones with GPS) set off on foot to go from just near Old Street station to the Museum of London and ended up at Tower Hill having basically done a giant semi-circle out to Smithfield and back.

What messes me up is the "final mile". I can navigate the countryside and always end up in the right village, but it's finding the last street and the house on that street that my general gut feel doesn't work for. The only read I get is "I'm in the right area".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Nah most people suck at that, the vast majority of artists don't draw from memory but from photographs or reference sheets. If you see somebody throwing out an awesome sketch without those things it's more likely to be because they've drawn it before and remember where the lines should go, rather than because they have perfect powers of visualisation and are doing a first time still life of a picture in their head.

What about just recalling regular rear end memories. For example, there are a few films I can play from start to finish in my head. I can visualise pretty much the whole of Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park when I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I didn't think that was particularly weird.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

re: intrusive thoughts, getting them about yourself is one thing, but if you want to get REALLY scared, have them about other people/animals.
They know what they did. If they don't, work on sublimating those thoughts onto people/animals who do.

WhatEvil posted:

It knows what it did.

Azza Bamboo posted:

What I struggle with is concepts. When people talk about things that you couldn't touch with your hands like "the form of the good".
It's this.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

On the mental health stuff no one's sure yet because this thing is 5 years old but there's theories Aphantasia actually helps prevent/dampen PTSD - if you can't visualize, its harder to trigger flashbacks to traumatic events, relive traumatic memories, etc.
That makes a disturbing amount of sense, but a lot of triggers aren't visual. I guess like most things it depends on the person, but audiation is probably as or more common than visualization.

Necrothatcher posted:

What about just recalling regular rear end memories. For example, there are a few films I can play from start to finish in my head. I can visualise pretty much the whole of Ghostbusters and Jurassic Park when I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I didn't think that was particularly weird.
Reporting u to the BFI.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I also have a brain full of rear end memories.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Necrothatcher posted:

I didn't think that was particularly weird.

At least one of us is weird because no way could I do that. I can think of a couple of scenes from a film, maybe a few more given time. If someone reminds me of the others I can see them, but I can't call up a list of all the scenes. Have a hard enough job remembering the main narrative most of the time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT August 2019 -

Azza Bamboo posted:

I also have a brain full of rear end memories.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Visualisation is weird for me. I can't close my eyes and see something that isn't the inside of my eyelids, but I have good comprehension of what I'm doing. I'm also an artist and a maker, and I can intuitively understand complex things like wood joinery or the order of operations of how to assemble something (e.g. I'm really good at IKEA furniture) but I can't actually picture something visually. I THINK I do when I'm dreaming, I can certainly remember things seeming vivid enough to be convincing, but when I'm just waking up and still dreaming semi-lucidly it feels more like I'm telling the story in writing.

Brains are cool. When they're not being jerks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can visualise objects super well, but I struggle with interpretation and abstraction. I'm terrible at navigating road systems (a big reason why I don't like driving) but great at making my way to places on foot when I have even the smallest idea of the right direction. If I need to remember a number I will literally see it floating in the air so I don't have to consciously remember it and can pick it out of the air later on. I love illustration, but can't see what's in front of me as anything other than what's there, so I completely bounce off any kind of interpretive art.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Lol, someone has hung a “Free Tommy Robinson Fight Corruption” banner over the A3 at Clanfield (north of Portsmouth). Wonder if it will still be there on my way home tonight.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Catzilla posted:

Lol, someone has hung a “Free Tommy Robinson Fight Corruption” banner over the A3 at Clanfield (north of Portsmouth). Wonder if it will still be there on my way home tonight.

Needs an UCK over the ree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or just 'tonight' over 'corruption'.