Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

In the energy deficit, do you build labs, fortresses, etc as normal?

Yeah. It only affects minerals from jobs, army damage, weapon damage, and shield health.

Zodium posted:

get the omnicodex and see how many you can shove into the l-cluster, show up those fallen jerks.

Real talk-- how do you manage that many pops without your brain melting? The micromanagement must be insane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

scaterry posted:

Yeah. It only affects minerals from jobs, army damage, weapon damage, and shield health.

Real talk-- how do you manage that many pops without your brain melting? The micromanagement must be insane!

Auto pop resettlement mod. If you don't care about cheevos then it is the single most incredible mod for this game.

And it's an absolute crime that it isn't baked in to the game by default. You hear me, Darkrenown? :argh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

So thats why there isn't anything to my west.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They really should buff egalitarians, free movement is such a terrible idea in this game, unfortunately.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Zodium posted:

get the omnicodex and see how many you can shove into the l-cluster, show up those fallen jerks.

Once in a game I built one of these, maximum habitable space, then stuck a pair of behemoth planetcraft over it and never settled it

I was pretending to be the most baffling and annoying precursors for a future race

"WHY DID THEY BUILD THIS AND PARK TWO GIANT AUTOMATED MURDER PLANETS OVER IT

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Leal posted:

So thats why there isn't anything to my west.

It's free real estate!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How screwed would I be if I were to set sectors to auto build? There is so many colonies, I'm a robit, may as well colonize it all. But my god I can't keep track of the current 10 colonies I got, I can't imagine tripling that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The sectors seem vaguely alright. My current game I'm in the "basically infinite resources" stage and I just occasionally toss 20,000 of minerals and energy in the bank. My sectors probably aren't doing things remotely efficiently, but I'm producing more science than ever and I have somewhere north of +1000 mineral income and somewhere close to +700energy.

Although I still really miss the old sector system. This whole "4 jumps away" bullshit invites too much micro.

Actually that reminds me. Can sector governors colonize planets inside their borders?

If I colonize one of the planets on Kruloda and create a sector, will the governor start aggressively expanding? Or do I have to manually colonize all of them?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

How screwed would I be if I were to set sectors to auto build? There is so many colonies, I'm a robit, may as well colonize it all. But my god I can't keep track of the current 10 colonies I got, I can't imagine tripling that.

This is why I keep the habitable planet setting to .5 It's way nicer having fewer planets to manage, and it makes habitats waaay useful.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Accretionist posted:

Started a new game

ONLY ONE ENTRANCE

edit: Life-Seeding / Inward Perfection. Gonna see how far I can get with only those systems. (Gonna engage in a Hoxha-like program of Habitat building)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7GIeiQolQ&t=6s

Just won and deleted but:
  • Yeah, species + mostly synths-in-servitude.
  • Iirc, homelessness around 20
  • It was stable

What Galaxy settings are you using for this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Leal posted:

Totally. I handled mid-40 colonies, and only automated at 50 colonies once the fallen empires where eaten. It SUCKS, but the AI is so utterly trash, as demonstrated by new protectorate assimilation and later colony AI doing retarded things. A common theme was to build one energy/mineral district on a planet with a very low max of them, then next build the energy/mineral refinery plant for 15% boost. Every. drat. Time. 'Theming' worlds makes it much easier to handle dozens of them as you only need to check in every now and then to add to the queue and can instantly know what's next on the list. Players snowball, AIs fall behind even with boosts. Don't use the automation until you are well far ahead, I'm afraid.

DoubleNegative posted:

Although I still really miss the old sector system. This whole "4 jumps away" bullshit invites too much micro.
Was there a system between 1.0 and the current sector system that's different? Cuz the only-4-core-world bullshit then mandatory sectors was... awful beyond words, I cannot fathom anyone preferring it over a kick in the balls.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Leal posted:

They are mostly fine. You can do a better job if you micro them, but that's also really annoying and it's worth handing them off to a sector to manage. Set the speciality to whatever you want, load up your stockpile (and make sure to set the auto-transfer up so it doesn't run out), and then ignore them.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Calling it on my New Age Hippy space otters playthrough. It pretty much went to a stalemate between my empire and the Unbidden to where if it wasn't a matter of resources, I could probably beat out that however long Civ game that one guy had with plinking at each other. All in all, it was a good run. I am a bit fuzzy on Victory conditions since I can't see what lists on the tab. I wish there was something to be able to set Victory conditions to know what to aim for. While I wouldn't mind crazy stuff like 'have a plantoid, mammal, and fungoid species become livestock cheeseburgers', something like conquer X amt of species or set up trade empire of at least X amt members would be nice.

With the playthrough I'm considering, I'm thinking of taking advantage of some of the automated colony/sector options. Are they worth using or not? I've been managing everything on my own so far and it gets a bit challenging when you're holding a quarter plus of the galaxy.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

yorkinshire posted:

How do you let a.i. assume control? That might be fun for when I'm "done" with a save.

tilde to open the console, "observe," unpause. "play 0" pops you back into your own empire for when you want to scrutinize what the AI's done.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Serephina posted:

Was there a system between 1.0 and the current sector system that's different? Cuz the only-4-core-world bullshit then mandatory sectors was... awful beyond words, I cannot fathom anyone preferring it over a kick in the balls.

Well the ability to just jam all your sectored worlds into one mega sector was different, and not awful. I wouldn't mind having the ability to do that now, I've definitely wound up with annoying cases where a world was one system too far away or something.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

scaterry posted:

Consumer Goods Deficit -- Kinda weak. First of all, consumer goods upkeep is very low compared to energy, not enough to justify a deficit. Second, the research job is phenomenal. It's 50% cheaper than the gestalt for the equivalent, it's twice as good as unemployed pops, and improves with technology. You also get eight for free from the guaranteed relic world. Finally, you need a large amount of unemployed pops. The main strength of utopian abundance is that ignores the job cap, so if you have more pops than jobs, they are still productive. However, its way easier to generate jobs than it is to generate pops. Lifeseeded in particular has the benefit of rare resources on its home world, so upgraded buildings are easy to make.

It may not be the strongest but it naturally tended towards making true dystopian hell worlds which I strongly approve of.

Welcome to Hell World population everybody. Should probably make unemployed utopian abundance pop not produce resources if there is no actual abundance.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 16, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Serephina posted:

The only sector system I have any other experience with was the one that used the Claims interface. You just picked a starting system and hit a bunch of plusses until you made your sector. It could have any number of planets in it and wasn't limited to just four system jumps away. And, most importantly, the AI governor would expand on their own.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

scaterry posted:

rain man level autism

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Leal posted:

Make sure your economy can take the hit of the AI doing stupid poo poo with all your planets. I generally hit that point at 30-40 planets. 1k+ surplus of energy and minerals is my minimum. If you need food, that doesn't need to be quite as high as the AI loves building farms. Keep in mind that the AI loves upgrading buildings, so your strategic resource surplus will usually turn into a deficit right quick once you turn on automation, forcing you to buy them. It's easily doable, but annoying.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It may not be the strongest but it naturally tended towards making true dystopian hell worlds which I strongly approve of.

Welcome to Hell World population everybody. Should probably make unemployed utopian abundance pop not produce resources if there is no actual abundance.
Why are there 55 open Clerk jobs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume due to housing districts giving clerk jobs but them being unneeded and unemployment being more useful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

I would assume due to housing districts giving clerk jobs but them being unneeded and unemployment being more useful.
Ahhh right, makes sense.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I dislike the +clerks prosperity tree thing for several reasons. 2 clerks per city causes weird game stuff.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

So much paperwork is going unfilled. It's a bureaucratic nightmare.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

I dislike the +clerks prosperity tree thing for several reasons. 2 clerks per city causes weird game stuff.
I like it because more amenities, more trade value, and more jobs without needing a new building. But I know a lot of people hate Clerk jobs because the value they add vs other bottom-tier jobs is pretty lackluster, I guess?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Clerks are kind of interesting and I remain unsure how I feel about them, but in one of my current multiplayer games, I'm running full Utopian Abundance and supplying half my Consumer Goods needs through that one Trade policy. I considered swapping away from it to Marketplace of Ideas to finish off my last two Traditions, then realized that I was getting 2000 Consumer Goods from Trade, and only had a surplus of about 200-300.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I like it because more amenities, more trade value, and more jobs without needing a new building. But I know a lot of people hate Clerk jobs because the value they add vs other bottom-tier jobs is pretty lackluster, I guess?
I dislike it because it means more jobs. I like the "need jobs build districts need housing build cities" and giving houses the same amount of jobs as other districts messes with that for me.

e: that was some word salad. I meant that I like that cities give more housing while other districts give more jobs, and having them both give two jobs messes with their dynamic, for me.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 16, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps Clerks could reduce housing demand as one of their outputs, like Organic Sanctuaries, to represent space being allocated more efficiently?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

What about clerks slightly increasing admin efficiency?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Clerks are "okay" if you just need to give a job for somebody to do or if you want to eke out a few amenities without using a building slot. If you are a megacorp with stacked trade bonuses they are even pretty good. Most of the time your limiting factor for productivity is pops though and you don't have a surplus of them in which case it's better to turn the clerks off and just have a couple entertainers instead. Towards the lategame I'll usually re-enable a bunch of clerks once there's a huge number of pops in the mix and planets fill up.

Epicurius posted:

So much paperwork is going unfilled. It's a bureaucratic nightmare.

Hellworld has byzantine bureaucracy for the extra 10% housing reduction so the lack of clerks is made up for with a bureaucracy complex.

It's a planet with 100% crime, 100% stability via martial law, no clerks under a bureaucratic state with no consumer goods under egalitarian* utopian abundance. idk how that's even representable besides "wow that place is real hosed up"

*if all have nothing then all are equal comrade

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 16, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The main benefit of running a hellworld state is that there is minimal pop management and a small number of planets. Mostly just let people land wherever they do and gently caress off smoking weed and making street art in the dystopia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No consumer goods, 100% crime, egalitarian, utopian abundance kinda sounds like some weird kind of anarchism where everyone lives in skyscrapers but they do nothing but run grow ops and shitpost all day, and this state of affairs is maintained by a military dictatorship that works basically like rogue servitors.

Doesn't actually sound that bad tbh.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

What about clerks slightly increasing admin efficiency?

that's what alpha mod does. every clerk is +1 efficiency.

my capital is basically nothing but commercial zones after i got some other planets up and running.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a planet with 100% crime, 100% stability via martial law, no clerks under a bureaucratic state with no consumer goods under egalitarian* utopian abundance. idk how that's even representable besides "wow that place is real hosed up"

Sounds like you've recreated Mega-City One.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

There is a mod where you gather the infinity stones and snap half the galaxy's pops

Even without that (hey, it would cut down on lag!) it's hilariously overpowered, one relic (the Reality Stone) lets you turn any planet you own, inhabited or not, to a Gaia world. With no cost. Recastable frequently. Yep.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

that's what alpha mod does. every clerk is +1 efficiency.

my capital is basically nothing but commercial zones after i got some other planets up and running.

I really like this. It helps take some pressure off as you're expanding, but you can't really cheese it to permanently stay at the cap unless you build nothing but cities and commercial zones.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Geshtal posted:

Sounds like you've recreated Mega-City One.

I'm inspired and am going to make lots of The City worlds, each one with its own Spider Jerusalem writing articles about how terrible I am.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is art. I'm the 100% crime and 100% happiness.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think clerks are fine, as has been said they're basically makework for excess pops if you don't want to go social welfare. Maybe if the perk added clerks to all districts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

NatasDog posted:

This is art. I'm the 100% crime and 100% happiness.

15% happiness. 100% stability, though.