Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not like we're committed to whatever we come up with first. If a combined thread isn't working, it's easy to post new ones that cover the individual parts. Let's try something new and see how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

ultrafilter posted:

It's not like we're committed to whatever we come up with first. If a combined thread isn't working, it's easy to post new ones that cover the individual parts. Let's try something new and see how it works.

No issues with trying new things. I'd like to see the 1st post list be maintained, and I'll be fine with the rest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ultrafilter posted:

yeah, thanks for posting this! i brought up the idea of changes with this being implicit, but it's worth stating out loud. clarity and all.

EDIT: clarity in my own posting (spelling)

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 28, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

nine-gear crow posted:

[*]Combine the Sandcastle and Tech Support threads
Terrible idea, the two don't really intersect in terms of discussion subjects.

quote:

[*]Combine the Request and Recommendation threads*
[*]Unstickie the Stream and Co-Comm threads**
[*]Keep the Rules and New LP threads as-is[/list]
I'd fold the "New LPs" thread into Sandcastle, actually. That's how it used to be, and it's not like the two threads are so high traffic that anything would be drowned out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've gone ahead and unstickied the Streaming Thread and Co-Commentation Station, as those ones seem to be a pretty clear cut decision. Follow up questions regarding Co-Commentation Station: Should it be left open as is? Should it be closed? Should it be folded into the Sandcastle?

I tend to agree that the Tech Support Fort and The Sandcastle generate different enough style of discussion that I'd prefer to leave them separate (of course, if there's big demand to combine them, we can). I also like the "old way" of having new LPs appear in the Sandcastle, but reasons to keep the New LP thread are good. I will admit, I like that the thread is a bit of a honeypot for probations for people who don't know what thread they're posting in.

I am more in favour of combining Requests and Recommendations (Reqs & Recs, anyone? The LP Rec Room?!?), but if there's big demand to keep them separate, there's no need to change. That said, if they were combined, it'd bring sticky thread count down to five:

Possible Stickies
  • LP Rule Thread
  • The Sandcastle
  • Tech Support Fort
  • The Req Room
  • New LP Thread

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dash Rendar posted:

Possible Stickies
  • LP Rule Thread
  • The Sandcastle
  • Tech Support Fort
  • The Req Room
  • New LP Thread

:justpost:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That looks good to me!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Quick one for the sandcastle.

Planning on running Fire Emblem Awakening Ironman.

Tricky parts are:

1. The emulation isn't perfect, there's slowdown and frameskips in some places.

2. It's a VLP of Fire Emblem which is usually not a great idea but is sortof required for the Ironman gimmick to reasonably work

3. It's my first time actually running a serious LP on my lonesome.

4. Formatting the 3DS view, I've opted for a larger main screen with a smaller one in the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAK-1eivtIo

Linked is the attempt I've made at my prologue/introduction episode. Usually I'd just go ahead and post but I'm feeling extra antsy about this one. Advice/telling me this won't fly would be helpful as ever.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

It's a VLP of Fire Emblem which is usually not a great idea but is sortof required for the Ironman gimmick to reasonably work

You could do that just as well with screenshots. Like... 99% of this is just going to be exactly the same as any other Fire Emblem lp. Yeah, we'd miss out on the real-time "oh no Stahl died" reaction but... you're only on hard, you're familiar with the game, and pair up is Busted so there probably won't be much of that anyway.

And I would say that whether it's a "good idea" or not depends on how good you are at it. Watching high level gameplay can be quite interesting, but someone whose skill is just average would need very good commentary to make it work.

As for your video... you're letting the intro drag on a lot. Just put all the fluff and background in the thread. It takes 22 minutes to get into proper gameplay!

In fact, I would suggest any lengthy explanation goes in the thread. This will probably mostly draw people who already know how the game works anyway, so we don't need like a full minute of explaining what a Jeigan or the weapon triangle is. Watching every map in full is going to be pretty time consuming to begin with, so don't drag it out needlessly.

Personally, as it is now, I would probably not follow this lp, because I'm already familiar with Awakening/FE mechanics in general and this has too much "yes, I know this already" and not enough playing the game for me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Might want to split the videos into cutscenes and gameplay

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are the "let's learn history" parts of Geop's rear end Creed 2 LP still available somewhere?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

This is all fair.

The videos will be split up into introduction / prologue for the opening so people can skip to gameplay if they want or watch through for Robin voting options. That was always likely to happen since 35 minutes is way too long for an opening episode.

I feel like you're underestimating hard Awakening though, especially when you have reasonable restrictions in place. (No over levelling/exclusive use of a single pair up) I did this a few years ago and there was a lot of death. I feel like the reaction to that is important and an SSLP would feel far more pedestrian.

Specifically, the reaction of "Oh no Stahl died" is one thing, the persistent panic caused by lynchpin units dying and causing failure cascades is something else entirely.

With that being said I'll definitely tone down obvious explanations for the later episodes.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Random bitch.

Youtube, stop adding random rear end videos I watch on my phone to my LP playlists. I have no idea how you're even doing it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Natural 20 posted:

Random bitch.

Youtube, stop adding random rear end videos I watch on my phone to my LP playlists. I have no idea how you're even doing it.

You're accidentally hitting the "Save" button.

I know this because I do it on accident all the loving time. I've done it literally today.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey, MAGIX is an awful, awful company so I made a video about how Sony Vegas Pro has gone to poo poo since they purchased ownership of it in 2016. If you are interested in hearing about how the only way to get a refund is to send a form letter to germany via snail mail, please watch it. If you use Sony Vegas Pro to make your let's plays (like I have from 2011 until now), please do not give MAGIX any more money. Also this video has my face in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wxKPgO9RZs

MAGIX really earned that one star rating on TrustPilot.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 18, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Hey, MAGIX is an awful, awful company so I made a video about how Sony Vegas Pro has gone to poo poo since they purchased ownership of it in 2016. If you are interested in hearing about how the only way to get a refund is to send a form letter to germany via snail mail, please watch it. If you use Sony Vegas Pro to make your let's plays (like I have from 2011 until now), please do not give MAGIX any more money. Also this video has my face in it.

I got Vegas Pro 14 from Humble Bundle for €20 or thereabouts. Its GPU acceleration code is so ancient and bad that a driver update broke its ability to realize my GTX 1070 exists, easily quadrupling processing time when rendering a relatively simple video with some "effects" that claim to be GPU accelerated.
Apparently the solution to this is to either update to fork out for 15+ (lol no) or to install an additional ancient video card (apparently the gtx780 is the best one to get).

Extreme Humble Bundle sales are the only way you should buy Vegas.
And even then, it's probably not worth it. Because you will need to immediately go into your control panel and uninstall the Magix Communicator program that automatically gets installed alongside it, which is literal adware that pops up GIANT banners on your computer. And no, there's no checkbox to untick and prevent it from installing.
Also, every time you boot Vegas it'll display an ad for the latest version and the checkbox for disabling them is non-functional. The actual setting for it is somewhere hidden in the preferences window.

E: I'm a dumdum and got my versions mixed up. I got 14 instead of 15. Point still stands though.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 19, 2019

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

CJacobs posted:

the C stands for Consumer advocacy

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I still use Vegas 13.0, dodged a bullet there apparently.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah Vegas sucks and I'm glad I changed to Resolve.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I found a Paper Mario romhack called Master Quest I plan to LP; here's my test post for the OP and introduction. (The big '=====' denotes where the end of the first post would be.)

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154714

Thoughts? Questions? Requests for refund?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

i dunno if facecam is gonna really take off here. i applaud your decision to LP a piece of editing software. you show more "in game" footage though. i wonder if this might be better suited to a SSLP?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No no that's just the intro episode. In episode 2 there's much more gameplay, I start hitting myself in the nuts while paying ten dollars to connect to customer support.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Geemer posted:

I got Vegas Pro 14 from Humble Bundle for €20 or thereabouts. Its GPU acceleration code is so ancient and bad that a driver update broke its ability to realize my GTX 1070 exists, easily quadrupling processing time when rendering a relatively simple video with some "effects" that claim to be GPU accelerated.
Apparently the solution to this is to either update to fork out for 15+ (lol no) or to install an additional ancient video card (apparently the gtx780 is the best one to get).

Extreme Humble Bundle sales are the only way you should buy Vegas.
And even then, it's probably not worth it. Because you will need to immediately go into your control panel and uninstall the Magix Communicator program that automatically gets installed alongside it, which is literal adware that pops up GIANT banners on your computer. And no, there's no checkbox to untick and prevent it from installing.
Also, every time you boot Vegas it'll display an ad for the latest version and the checkbox for disabling them is non-functional. The actual setting for it is somewhere hidden in the preferences window.

E: I'm a dumdum and got my versions mixed up. I got 14 instead of 15. Point still stands though.

I think I bought the same Humble Bundle last year. A shame to hear that it sucks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Vegas Pro 14 is the last good version of Vegas, and was coincidentally (definitely a coincidence for sure) the last version made by Sony. For all the improvements Vegas 15 boasts, none of them are program stability. It ain't worth the program crashing during playback if you happen to have an internet browser open at the same time as the program or the planets are not aligned correctly or the tide is high.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Isn't 13 the last one made by Sony?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah, you're right, Vegas Pro 14 came out just after the MAGIX buyout. Like we're talking only a couple months. My mistake.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Ah, you're right, Vegas Pro 14 came out just after the MAGIX buyout. Like we're talking only a couple months. My mistake.

So, what you're saying is that I should hold on to my version 14 for dear life because they hadn't had enough time to gently caress things up too badly yet.

I should probably just fill out the dumb form and get the free version of Resolve.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
15 works perfectly for me tbh. Better than 13 or 14 ever did. Much smoother and stable than even premiere was for me. Easy to use too. There's still some features I'd like (Sequences, star wipe, etc.) but overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. I haven't put it through any big LP projects yet but so far it works better.

Might just be that my computer is somehow the exact best setup by coincidence I dunno.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oof, gently caress MAGIX. I've had some issues with Vegas 15 (thankfully only paid 20 euros for it), but had no idea they were such a lovely company.

Interestingly, none of the issues I've ever had with more recent Vegas have really been crash-related. I'm so old that the first version I used was still called Sonic Foundry Vegas 4.0, and that crashed all the time, but with Vegas 13 and 15 it's mostly been weird poo poo nobody else has encountered and thus there have been no reliable solutions for the problems. A few years ago, my OBS/Shadowplay/literally any x264 recording that wasn't from Elgato Game Capture suddenly looked like this in Vegas 13, with no explanation or apparent solution:

Great stuff. The problem fixed itself eventually (possibly Nvidia driver related, as other programs were having similar issues) but in the meantime I switched to Premiere because everything worked correctly in that program. I still use Premiere for most things but grabbed Vegas 15 on a Humble deal last year, and it worked fine initially. No crashes, everything was cool except for the annoying upgrade popups on startup. Then I got a new PC and installed Vegas 15 on that, and suddenly Vegas 15 no longer supported MP3 files. The plugin flat-out didn't work. No explanation, no fix to be found. I looked on various forums, and the best they could offer was useful advice along the lines of "reinstall Windows" or "offer a blood sacrifice to Baphomet in the glow of the moonlight".

Eventually I installed my old copy of Vegas 13, which did work fine, and copied the relevant 13 plugins to the 15 folder. That just caused a crash (as expected really, but I just had to give it a shot), so I reverted back to the Vegas 15 plugins and then everything Just Worked(tm). :psyduck:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 19, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Years ago I used Sony Vegas 9 which had an interesting quirk where it'd completely gently caress up footage ripped from youtube by whatever youtube video download plugin I had installed back then in a really interesting way that I'd actually love to be able to manually recreate.

With 14 I've had the weirdest issue that DebugMode Frameserver would work just peachy when I finally got it installed, then a week later it would 100% of the time crash immediately once it got done writing the audio to the file and started serving frames. Reinstalling the frameserver over itself fixed it for one (1) single encode job.
Then DebugMode suddenly released an update earlier this month and it's been working fine since I installed that. But I have no idea how long it'll last.

E: To clarify: It wasn't just the frameserver that crashed, but the entirety of Vegas and it popped up the completely useless crash reporter. If you looked through the data it was going to send with the crash report it basically boiled down to system specs and Vegas version with no real details on what was going on at the time of the crash, or even a list of loaded files or plugins.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 19, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

No no that's just the intro episode. In episode 2 there's much more gameplay, I start hitting myself in the nuts while paying ten dollars to connect to customer support.

well poo poo i can't wait to see it!

:justpost: cjakes :justpost:!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I bought Vegas 15 during the last Humble Bundle, I will be using it to edit my next LP over the weekend. Should I start crying before or after I attempt it?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I bought Vegas 15 during the last Humble Bundle, I will be using it to edit my next LP over the weekend. Should I start crying before or after I attempt it?

During, soak your LP in tears for a personal touch.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Sour Gumdrop posted:

During, soak your LP in tears for a personal touch.

This may happen now I've seen the time it takes to render a video...

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
VLP folks:

1) What's your favorite episode of your own stuff; and
2) Why?

I was talking with Jamesman about what makes LPs good and how to get your own videos better and it came down to "Would you watch your own LP?"

Then it turned into this discussion. What's your favorite episode and why?

For Yiik, I think the Circlmastr episode is one of my favorites. One of the things about rotating commentators is that you have to figure out where how you fit together. Which, unfortunately, makes the back half of every episode stronger than the first half.

It takes us a second to get going and we find out we're best when we argued at each other. And that's what we did, eventually ending in me making wild accusations at him, which still crack me up.

I think Skippy's episode in Jimmy is one of my favorites because we amped each other up. The energy in that episode is just nuts.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

-Volgarr the Viking 4-1, mostly for the animated intro for the boss 'Fluffy' and the masterful crub-stomping I gave em.

-Luckslinger #13, there was a track on the OST I really liked and wanted to use it to make an intro for the final episode; heck even the developers of the game liked it.

-Momodora IV #3, I just like the Pardoner fight.

-Brave Fencer Musashi #10-2, The toy videos were fun as I wanted to come up with a way to streamline showing off the toys without having to back out to the menu and all that. Also I like the intro.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
1: The last episode of the nep lp

2: Cause it was the last episode of the nep lp

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I tend to be pretty dry in my videos, I think, so I don't usually think of entertainment in terms of my own reactions. I do sometimes indulge in playing around a bit, though, and I always love revisiting my clumsy but still impressive redub bonus video for Mask of Eternity from when I was still learning Avisynth.

As for regular episodes with no frills or special effects, my favorite probably isn't the part of Flight of the Amazon Queen with my favorite character, but I still love Sharon.

And I still have to brag about the time I found the long-lost Easter egg in Torin's Passage.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

We're supposed to like our own content? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

We're supposed to like our own content? :confused:

Can confirm that you are absolutely not