Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I've owned both. A 2016 GTI 4dr and a 2015 FiST.
I bought the GTI new and paid full boat since it was a few weeks before diesel gate, sold it with 35k miles for $19.5k (iirc)
Bought the FiST for $13.5k with something like 17k miles and sold it for $13k with something like 30k miles (iirc)

They are different cars, but the FiST is more fun to drive, didn't make me paranoid about something breaking, had a much shittier ride / interior, and both got similar gas mileage. The Ford Sync drove me insane in the FiST. Unless you know you really like the FiST for what it is (econobox that is borderline nervous handling wise) then buy the GTI.

Hopefully the GTI has the LSD.

e: also, the non Recaro FiST seats suck and you need FiST seats if you want to swap and not have to deal with airbag fuckery. The FiST seats are more expensive used than Focus ST Recaros.
e2: I know you've mentioned the Si oil dilution issue, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not also driving one

I actually do like fast econoboxes and if it reminded me of my first car (Honda City Turbo) that would be a huge plus.

I am kinda paranoid about VW reliablity tho I gotta admit, I have never owned a VW so it kind of scares me. To be fair I'd rather drive the corolla I test drove knowing it's going to be reliable rather than get a GTI if i know there's gonna be issues. I just REALLY don't want to deal with that poo poo......Am I better off just staying away from VW for that reason? Should i just stick with Honda or Toyota? Or the Ford? How is the reliability with the FiST?

I'm just wracking my brain because i need a car SOON so I'm trying to get as much info as possible. The local Honda dealership are morons and wasted my time (told me a car was in stock when it wasn't) so now I gotta drive 40 miles to get to the nearest Civic LX/Sport 2.0 with a manual.

The 1.5 sounds great, but again, I REALLY don't want to deal with any issues it's just not worth the risk to me. Too bad because the Si sounds like fun but i don't want to smell gas and worry about the oil being contaminated ruining the motor prematurely.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I THINK that the MK7 is pretty reliable, I was probably just being overly paranoid about it breaking. FiST reliability is also really good other than the common blend door issue and a couple of other little things.

PaintVagrant posted:

Ill be honest you swap cars so much I dont know what you have now. I assume youve still got your s2000, and...?

fuckin lol. Yeah, the S2000 and an 07 Civic Si sedan that I've had for a little over a year.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I THINK that the MK7 is pretty reliable, I was probably just being overly paranoid about it breaking. FiST reliability is also really good other than the common blend door issue and a couple of other little things.

fuckin lol. Yeah, the S2000 and an 07 Civic Si sedan that I've had for a little over a year.

My 2 favorite hondas, nice work

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you're never going to be able to buy a car with a guarantee that there are no issues, and honestly at this point cars are extremely reliable overall so you're more likely to get a lemon than something that is fundamentally less reliable in a predictable way

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The 1.5 sounds great, but again, I REALLY don't want to deal with any issues it's just not worth the risk to me. Too bad because the Si sounds like fun but i don't want to smell gas and worry about the oil being contaminated ruining the motor prematurely.

I would at least go look at a Civic SI. FWIW, I've had mine since last September. I'm just under 10k miles and I've had no issues. I definitely don't smell gas. Honda extended the warranty for the powertrain to 6 years, unlimited miles.

I test drove a FiST and FoST last year before getting the Civic. It's the interior that killed those cars for me. The interiors were terrible compared to a GTI or Civic and were comparable in price.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I actually do like fast econoboxes and if it reminded me of my first car (Honda City Turbo) that would be a huge plus.

I am kinda paranoid about VW reliablity tho I gotta admit, I have never owned a VW so it kind of scares me. To be fair I'd rather drive the corolla I test drove knowing it's going to be reliable rather than get a GTI if i know there's gonna be issues. I just REALLY don't want to deal with that poo poo......Am I better off just staying away from VW for that reason? Should i just stick with Honda or Toyota? Or the Ford? How is the reliability with the FiST?

I'm just wracking my brain because i need a car SOON so I'm trying to get as much info as possible. The local Honda dealership are morons and wasted my time (told me a car was in stock when it wasn't) so now I gotta drive 40 miles to get to the nearest Civic LX/Sport 2.0 with a manual.

the tdi sportwagen i previously owned (sold back during dieselgate) did 40k with no issues, and my 17 gti sport (Sport trim included perf package, no sunroof, cloth seats, lighting package, hands free package, carplay/android auto radio) has been great for 2yrs and 24k miles. i recommend it, its a quick, good handling daily driver that still gets great freeway mpg but a couple caveats:

18+ newer have much better warranty and look slightly different than 15-17s.
you might look at certified used 16/17s that probably have a warranty that matches 18-19 models
sunroofs are bad on modern vws and imo should be avoided unless you like leaking sunroofs
try a dsg you might really like it (plus it doesnt need to be upgraded like the stock clutch does if you increase power)
stock tires leave a lot to be desired, they are 225/18" allseasons (rough ride quality too)

absolutely make sure it has performance package, just for the (electronic) differential. it doesnt seem to help with wheelspin at launch but it is really noticeable on turns and spirited driving. PP comes with red Golf R brakes front and rear, 10 extra hp and differential. you can tell the car has PP by looking at the brakes or look for GTI logos on front and rear that are red instead of chrome

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I mean I came from the e30/36/46 world so my opinion is inherently biased but my GTI has needed oil changes and tires over 50k of ownership.

*knocks on wood*

e: completely base, no PP, manual. My clutch slips, but known issue.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My fist has 30k, about to be out of warranty coverage in August. The only issue has been a slightly squeaky driver side window that I need to get the dealer to fix while it's still free, and the rear caliper pins being very prone to corrosion and hence sticking.

Big turbo e30 tune for the last 18,000 miles or so, no mechanical issues at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I put 85k on a mk6 Golf TDI over 4 years with zero issues and am at 30k on my GTI with zero issues. The I on the front GTI badge has fallen off and the clutch is legitimately garbage as noted, outside of that it's a great daily.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Very similar to BU, around 2 years and 24k on my 17 GTI sport without issue. Sad to be selling it soon for a bigger kid hauler. Dct rules.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hmm, didn't know about the clutch issue, what is the jist of that? And I haven't even considered the DCT, are there any issues with that? Does every automatic GTI have the DCT?

Going today to test drive a FiST, GTI and Civic Sport.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 20, 2019

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
if you are worried about a used car get a inspection at a dealer or good specialized mechanic before buying

if the seller wont let you it's probably already broken

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've been keeping an eye out for a used fiesta st locally.... Just a desert here for hatches. Local Ford dealer has a new '19 listed for $24k, but it's black and it's too drat hot here for that even if I was willing to eat the depreciation.

Carvana has a white ’16 for $17.7k with less than 17k miles on it. Kinda tempting.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
The stock clutch sucks complete garbage and will begin to slip with any additional power added on. Plus it feels very... mute. If I could do it over again I would get the DSG without a second thought. Water pump/thermostat are prone to failure will be covered under warranty. Stock all seasons are pretty much garbage and need to be changed out. Sunroofs have a high chance of leaking due to the drain channels clogging, as well as the sunroof panel cracking. Usually has some creaking / rattling issues as well but those can generally be fixed.

All those things aside, I wouldn’t hesitate grabbing another VW.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Hmm, didn't know about the clutch issue, what is the jist of that? And I haven't even considered the DCT, are there any issues with that? Does every automatic GTI have the DCT?

Going today to test drive a FiST, GTI and Civic Sport.

Clutch won't handle any increases in power without slipping eventually. The DSG is honestly great and I'd give it a try just to see if you like it.

King of False Promises fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 20, 2019

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I've been keeping an eye out for a used fiesta st locally.... Just a desert here for hatches. Local Ford dealer has a new '19 listed for $24k, but it's black and it's too drat hot here for that even if I was willing to eat the depreciation.

Carvana has a white ’16 for $17.7k with less than 17k miles on it. Kinda tempting.

If you havent already, get on facebook and search, I see insane deals all the time on FiSTs. Join the various groups and use marketplace, and be willing to travel. Both of the ones you listed are way too expensive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Etrips posted:

The stock clutch sucks complete garbage and will begin to slip with any additional power added on. Plus it feels very... mute.

I've still never gotten a good feel for the clutch. I've never owned a car with an automatic and have had a couple cars with notoriously finicky clutches and have never had issues. The bite point on mine is super, super vague and I straight smoked it one time trying to make a quick left turn from a stop. The girls at the drive through coffee shop were trying to figure out what the horrific smell was.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

King of False Promises posted:

Clutch won't handle any increases in power without slipping eventually. The DSG is honestly great and I'd give it a try just to see if you like it.

So do all the GTIs that are autos have the DCT? Or do some of them have that tiptronic trans as well......And how would i tell them apart since most ads just say "automatic transmission"

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I know I totally lucked out but my wife and I bought a '16 FiST brand new on the lot for her when the 18's were just slippin' out and paid 16.9K OTD. I can't imagine paying that much for one that already had 15-20Kmi on it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

So do all the GTIs that are autos have the DCT? Or do some of them have that tiptronic trans as well......And how would i tell them apart since most ads just say "automatic transmission"

yes, all DCT

angryrobots posted:

Carvana prices are universally completely insane (high) from what I've seen. They want more for used the Civic Si than you can buy them from the dealer new for after negotiation. Same for a bunch of other cars.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 20, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, all DCT

Ok thanks. I think i would enjoy an actual real DCT and not a simulated one. Considering the clutch issues on the manual I'm gonna have to try one.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Does the Fiesta ST feel quicker than the stated 6.9 seconds 0-60? That's just a terrible number, I worry it would just feel rough. It's just tempting you can get a large gocart for like $12k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes, it does not feel slow, especially when it does the hilariously magic feeling torque vectoring out of a good 2nd gear corner

something to keep in mind is that a few of these cars, like the fist, tap out 2nd just before 60, so you get the added shift time for 60. A tune will generally solve this as it will make the car not drop off as heavily in the upper revs, stops the torque limit in 1st/2nd, and sometimes extends the rev range to allow you to hit 60 in 2nd.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 20, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
right if you do a neat tune on a fiesta its all fun and growly, ultimately is a slow fast car.

(i love it tho)

e: you can def do 60 in 2nd.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, it does not feel slow, especially when it does the hilariously magic feeling torque vectoring out of a good 2nd gear corner

something to keep in mind is that a few of these cars, like the fist, tap out 2nd just before 60, so you get the added shift time for 60. A tune will generally solve this as it will make the car not drop off as heavily in the upper revs, stops the torque limit in 1st/2nd, and sometimes extends the rev range to allow you to hit 60 in 2nd.

I need to go drive one. I don't need another car, but I would love something fun I could beat on and not care about, and give me something to drive when I don't want to put on my Khakis and Sperrys when I want to embark on the Charger.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

If you havent already, get on facebook and search, I see insane deals all the time on FiSTs. Join the various groups and use marketplace, and be willing to travel. Both of the ones you listed are way too expensive.

I used someone else's FB to look cause I don't have one, and probably the biggest thing is "willing to travel" which is already the issue I have. I'm not averse to some distance, but adding in a private seller with a lien and getting out of state temp tags can be trialsome, and my vacation time is limited. Didn't see any deals I would call insane, either.

I'll just keep trolling CL, I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Test drove the cars today, after driving the GTI first the FiST felt underwhelming in every aspect pretty much. Interior quality way way better in the GTI and is just a better car. The Fiesta was quick tho I’ll give it that, almost as fast as the GTI.

Was really impressed by the Civic tho, for a $20k car new it’s a great value overall, this is gonna be a tough decision.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Which Civic did you drive?

My wife had a 2012 base model, and even that was a great little car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can get the accord for 21k. I think they fixed the cylinder washdown on the little tubos.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

hi can I join this thread

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yay the best colorrrrrr

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

love your car, friend

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheFonz posted:

Which Civic did you drive?

My wife had a 2012 base model, and even that was a great little car.

2.0 Sport Sedan. Interior was great, almost on par with the GTI, and had better power than I expected for the n/a engine. The clutch and shifting feel was perfect, and it also looks better than the Si without all the fake vents imo.

The GTI's clutch was very vague, but there are fixes for that right? I'd like to test drive a DCT but then I'm getting up over $25k territory used if i wanna keep the miles low anyways.

Idk, this is gonna be a hard choice, the Civic is such a good car for 20k NEW but I really liked the GTI too although it is used. Brand new just seems to have the edge right now because I haven't owned a brand new car since the early 90's so that would kind of be nice.

Elephanthead posted:

You can get the accord for 21k. I think they fixed the cylinder washdown on the little tubos.

Not with a manual you can't, the Accord LX is CVT only from what I've seen. Don't wanna risk it with the 1.5 anyways tbh.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

So jealous you got Perf Blue. I got one of the last two in my state at the time and neither were Perf Blue. Noice.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Performance Blue is kind of ugly and Chalk White is the only actually good color. :colbert:

no i'm not jealous

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The white looks great too, but my desire to be a unique snowflake won in the end

Had to drive 2.5 hours out of state for it though

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

TheFonz posted:

Does the Fiesta ST feel quicker than the stated 6.9 seconds 0-60? That's just a terrible number, I worry it would just feel rough. It's just tempting you can get a large gocart for like $12k.

IMO, and as I said to someone on the local FiST Facebook group asking about this, caring about this is doing it wrong. Forget about 0-60, just hit some twisties and enjoy.

As others have said though, a tune really wakes them up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The white looks great too, but my desire to be a unique snowflake won in the end

Had to drive 2.5 hours out of state for it though

I've only kept the most casual eye on AutoTrader but it seems at least 90% of the performance pack cars around here have been Performance Blue

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FBS posted:

Performance Blue is kind of ugly and Chalk White is the only actually good color. :colbert:

no i'm not jealous

yeah, that's what i ended up with. first white car for us.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

As others have said though, a tune really wakes them up.

My wife's FiST has a Mountune Cobb setup and even though it's a good second and a half slower to 60 than the N, the power delivery is so radically different---- the N is very flat and even and the FiST's is like a rocketship---- the FiST *feels* faster but definitely is not.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I've still been looking on autotrader and discovered the Hyundai Elanta GT "N Line" hatch.....Anyone know anything about these? It looks really sweet.

I'm assuming it's got the same drivetrain as the Veloster turbo, but there aren't many of them around with a manual, closest one is 180 miles away.

[e] apparently the autos are DCT! wow might have to drive one.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 21, 2019