Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The singularity engine sounds more interesting than the TEG, but it's really not. As a non-traitorous engineer, there's no real room for customization, your only options are 'set it up' and 'don't set it up' (and it's not even a very efficient engine). As a traitor, your only option is 'set is free', after which it's out of your hands and you have to hope it wrecks the station, instead of just floating around the same area forever or buggering off to space.

Meanwhile with the TEG you can siphon off the gas to make bombs, unleash hellfire on the station, generate infinite power and hotwire it to vaporize anyone who touches a door, and occasionally unleash a wave of negative pressure that drops the station to absolute zero and freezes everyone to death, even through a spacesuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its so much work to set up and its always completely obvious whats going to happen. Harvesting power isnt fun enough to necessitate all the work, so someone is always going to release the singularity just for a payoff.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The concept of being able to set up the Singularity if the TEG is irreparably damaged is neat though, even if it's never going to actually happen it's still cool that it could.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Two containment posts can be found in the debre field for scanning and collecting, you only need to order one emitter and mechanic the rest (need 4 I think).

100k for singularity,
5k for each collector set,
15k for an emitter.
120k minimum for a singularity engine, not including materials consumed and if you want additional collectors.

I managed to get most of the parts for it by myself by 30 minutes, but the captain/HOP/CE and their ID cards are dead/vanished by then.
Having a few people helping me we could get the singularity engine up and running by the 30 minute mark, and by the 50 minute mark the station is usually a literal poo poo-hole and the shuttle is already on it's way.

It's not impossible to get the singularity engine running, just very very very unlikely.

Edit: I'm not sure why I'm having terrible connection problems or if byond put malware on my computer again, but I am consistently having 5 fps. Could also be a recent windows update that is doing this poo poo.

Edit2: my whole computer seems to be affected so I think it's probably malware from byond. Time to reinstall windows.
Edit3: no more byond for me, again.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 19, 2019

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

With something as hilariously dangerous as a singularity engine, you're almost duty-bound to "accidentally" kick over a containment post just before the shuttle launches.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Inadequately posted:

The singularity engine sounds more interesting than the TEG, but it's really not. As a non-traitorous engineer, there's no real room for customization, your only options are 'set it up' and 'don't set it up' (and it's not even a very efficient engine). As a traitor, your only option is 'set is free', after which it's out of your hands and you have to hope it wrecks the station, instead of just floating around the same area forever or buggering off to space.

Meanwhile with the TEG you can siphon off the gas to make bombs, unleash hellfire on the station, generate infinite power and hotwire it to vaporize anyone who touches a door, and occasionally unleash a wave of negative pressure that drops the station to absolute zero and freezes everyone to death, even through a spacesuit.

and if the sauna exists you can vaporize passerbys with blasts of steam

though this tends to happen even with non-traitor engineers

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Yinlock posted:

and if the sauna exists you can vaporize passerbys with blasts of steam

though this tends to happen even with non-traitor engineers

The sauna exists on Cog1, I don't think it exists on cog2, I've only seen it used like 5 times, and only twice to hilarious effect.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

SugarAddict posted:

Edit: I'm not sure why I'm having terrible connection problems or if byond put malware on my computer again, but I am consistently having 5 fps. Could also be a recent windows update that is doing this poo poo.

Edit2: my whole computer seems to be affected so I think it's probably malware from byond. Time to reinstall windows.
Edit3: no more byond for me, again.

Connection problems are happening to everyone ATM. If you've got malware it's not from byond - or at the very least not from goonstation. I've never heard of anyone having issues on that front from byond ads and I know our servers are fine. Can't speak to the cleanliness of Cow Naruto RP servers or whatever else is on byond these days, but byond itself is fine.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Haine posted:

Connection problems are happening to everyone ATM. If you've got malware it's not from byond - or at the very least not from goonstation. I've never heard of anyone having issues on that front from byond ads and I know our servers are fine. Can't speak to the cleanliness of Cow Naruto RP servers or whatever else is on byond these days, but byond itself is fine.

Sorry, just crazy paranoid. I wasn't aware everyone was having connection problems. I think I have gotten malware from byond ads before (computer got really really slow after one adverisement), but I have membership now so no more ads and malware from byond ads (I hope). Or maybe I should have a cheap laptop or a PI computer I can just wipe and restore once a week.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Have there been attempts to make singularity engine more interesting in the past? It sounds like all it's got now is on/off/unleashed, and while a change to the norm is always nice there's a reason the combustion engine is the norm.

I could see a singularity lensing spikes of energy onto random nearby tiles, superheating the air or pulling in nearby objects or causing hallucinations or other fun stuff. Configure the containment units to direct them onto a receiver for power. Feed stuff into the singularity, it gets denser, makes more power lenses that can affect further out and need more containment units to capture the power, or don't and wreak havoc. You could even port over the engine grump mechanic that is currently largely unused because furnaces are inefficient.

But maybe this sort of thing has been tried before and hasn't worked out? I could see there being problems with being too easy to release a black hole on the station.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenebrais posted:

Have there been attempts to make singularity engine more interesting in the past?

I once spent a couple weeks perfecting the process of quickly re-routing the garbage system to throw poo poo into the singularity instead of the trash compactor. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Always felt there should be something that could be done between the Singularity and the heavier Loafs. Like, starting a singularity around a neutron loaf should backfire and form a mini neutron star which when fed enough mass becomes a puslar and makes the entire station into a magnetic wonderland and generates obscene power. Of course the chances of someone actually making either of those items in a round is already low and both at once probably approaching zero chance.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Always felt there should be something that could be done between the Singularity and the heavier Loafs. Like, starting a singularity around a neutron loaf should backfire and form a mini neutron star which when fed enough mass becomes a puslar and makes the entire station into a magnetic wonderland and generates obscene power. Of course the chances of someone actually making either of those items in a round is already low and both at once probably approaching zero chance.

Hook it up to the PTL, make tons of money, build a small station in the debree field that has almost all department stuff in it and use that as your base for adventures, and because of the obscene power generation on the station you can use portal generators to travel around safely. And with all the money from the PTL you can buy whatever you want/need from places like the martian merchant and DOC.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
loafs should 1000% be super powerful engine fuel

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

loafs should 1000% be super powerful engine fuel

the large loaf collider!!!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are Goon servers still alive and well and very active?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
extremely

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Have there been attempts to make singularity engine more interesting in the past?

I don't know if they've changed it in the 6 years since I stopped playing but I remember /TG/ had a system where the singularity had like five different sizes, from 1x1 to 5x5. When it started up it would be 3x3 and would go up or down depending on how much you fed it with the feeding machine, which was what started it and kept it going. There were I think five settings on the feeding machine, 1 would keep the singularity going for like a half hour before it starved, the rest would feed it until it got to max size, so in theory you would babysit it so it wouldn't starve and stop making power or grow and kill you, but that was really boring so nobody bothered and instead just wired the solars if anything further. If it reached max size it would then start eating the containment field and I don't think it would ever starve. Throughout the sizes if you looked at it without mesons you could get stunned shortly and I seem to recall it doing EMPs when at max size.

Mostly it was just more complex without being much more interesting apart from there being Dead Space RIG suits in engineering because the emitters and the containment field parts were in space due to the singularity eating the floors.

Akett fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 25, 2019

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Since we are talking about other stations and engines, I remember testing out that Baystation one like years back (group of friends wanted to try the game but were too afraid to deal with goons, so I downloaded the server they provided) and it had a weird supermatter or whatever engine. I forgot some of the details but it was some weird crystal that emitted radiation that powered recievers for energy. The gimmick was that it emitted plasma as it was active and the more plasma is in the atmosphere the less it works, so you had to keep the vents active if you wanted a stable but boring energy source.

If you wanted to have some fun, adding oxygen to the atmosphere would greatly increase the amount of power you would get. Which meant you had to not only keep supplying the oxygen, but also make sure the plasma gets filtered out as quick as possible since the crystal would heat up to the point where it could otherwise ignite. And that was bad, not only because of the fire itself but also because if the crystal gets too hot, it basically nukes the entirety of the engineering department as well as irradiating the gently caress out of everyone else on station. Think there was a launcher to get rid of the thing if it is about to go critical but good luck hitting it in time once the fire starts. :v:

The bit of messing around I did with it was kinda fun. Probs not gonna have enough things to mess around with long term though.

(And sadly my group only got a few games in way back and nothing after. Got one of them to give goonstation a shot but sadly that didn't last)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The engine should produce deadly waste made of randomised hellchems and werewolf serum

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Supermatter engine is fairly common on most codebases these days, yeah. And it's hilariously deadly, since it's constantly spitting out huge amounts of radiation and explodes violently if it gets too spicy. :v:

/vg/station has one start on the station that's got a fragment of a full crystal that just EMPs the entire z level when it blows up plus erases most of engineering, while you can find a full sized crystal with their xenoarch system that will cause a resonance cascade when it blows up that deletes the entire universe. You have a few minutes to get to a portal to a beach in the middle of a pocket dimension before the round ends due to crystal sea.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
bring back thermo donut engine that got so hot you had eject the thing

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Make some kind of nuclear engine, and have material & chemical irradiation/transmutation as a mechanic. And source of industrial accidents.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

For maximum nuclear plant industrial accident hijinks, high pressure steam would need to be added to atmos.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If you do all that you'll need to add a Dyatlov outfit too

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The engine should have random events like star trek episodes where Geordie makes the engine a little more powerful but it summons ghosts into the ship computer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

Supermatter engine is fairly common on most codebases these days, yeah. And it's hilariously deadly, since it's constantly spitting out huge amounts of radiation and explodes violently if it gets too spicy. :v:

Make some kind of injector to the core room that just inserts random items in from a Safe* distance away in the engineering control room for exposure to the obscene heat of a Hellburn. What is extracted may be burned plastic, an Obsidian Crown, or just super-forged material from raw ore.

Or a super-dense loaf collapsing into an uncontained Singularity.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Incidentally, what's the threshold at which a loaf stops being edible?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I know tiles can be 'irradiated' but I'm thinking the station under nuclear power could be fun if you could impliment some kind've system for objects / animate objects (crew) becoming horrifically irradiated for a thousand years due to meltdowns.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
What about a station with no formal power. Its at the crews discretion to light small garbage fires for warmth and light

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Incidentally, what's the threshold at which a loaf stops being edible?

any loaf is edible if you're brave enough

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Isaac posted:

The engine should produce deadly waste made of randomised hellchems and werewolf serum
waste is a fun idea actually yeah. have it vent through disposals, off the solars, into the test chamber, or wherever else you route it...

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Isaac posted:

What about a station with no formal power. Its at the crews discretion to light small garbage fires for warmth and light

this is every station generally, sooner or later.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Especially any station with Irene Mincene.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

This sounds like a round of Space Station 13 in real life.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Clowns truly are the agents of chaos and bedlam, both in game and in life.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

All it's missing is the clown stealing the shitsec's segway and honking off into the night.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I am new and made a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mw1SFiIYS4

....and claimed by trolls!

Got claimed for music originally scored by Johnathon Dunn: https://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy/robocop__/credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIKnn-COS4

Remixed by Cboyardee: https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/CBoyardee

and remixed again by therealdankness (is this guy actually CBoyardee? maybe.) uploaded to Orfium: https://www.orfium.com/track/579912/dilbert-6-extended-therealdankness/

Orfium are the scum at the bottom of this pool, owned by HEXACORP LTD: https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/hexacorp-ltd-3105470/

Claiming ad revenue on a remix of a remix, from a 1988 video game, whose original score was written by someone who shows up in none of this.

This poo poo is more of a joke than my SS13 playing!

Update: Claim retracted. Saga over? Who knows. Stay tuned for more from Herb Dington, terrible space barkeep botanist janitor.

Sincerely,

Herb D Dington

P.S.
Fond regards,

Herb

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 13, 2019

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Nasa astronaut 'accessed ex-partner's bank account from space station'

Huh, so NASA has Heads of Personnel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Today we learnt that birds can pickup and nibble on light grenades just fine :birddrugs: