Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I can vouch for SuperGreatFriend being great. Over the years, his dry humor and sense of comedic timing has been honed perfectly. His specialty is weird jank-rear end games like Illbleed, Deadly Premonition, or PC games that might have been lost to time otherwise. The Sonic Adventure lp has this gimmick where he's talking about the themes of the game like it's a Werner Herzog documentary and it's kind of a joke but also not a joke. It has some great lines too, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5uyj72fQ-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Supergreatfriend is amazing and his Bully Demise series was a work of art.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You got Karnak speed trapped

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm not really sure where Grimclaw's mountain comes from when it comes to Jimmy's fears. Maybe it's just another instance of the Pulsating Mass corrupting his memories of the birds that he sees at home.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm not really sure where Grimclaw's mountain comes from when it comes to Jimmy's fears. Maybe it's just another instance of the Pulsating Mass corrupting his memories of the birds that he sees at home.

I definitely read it as a fear of heights. Grimclaw just kind of fit in as someone who could live in those heights/birds flying high/body horror aesthetic.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Path of Enlightenment Enemies
In addition to the enemies from the Temple of Sight, we get:
Onefish is immune to physical attacks and will counter any directed its way. If it sharpens its edges, it will rampage for three 150% physical hits.
A school of Onefish is called an Algebra.

Twofish is immunte to magical attacks and will reflect any directed its way. If it sharpens its edges, it will freeze the air around your party, dealing 150% magical damage three times.
When you run into a couple of Twofish, you could say that you have two Twofish, or you could just call it a Fourfish if that's too confusing.

Burton uses Andrew's Cryodynamics and Toxicosis attacks against you. If he calculates with his peers, other enemies will immediately use attacks that normally take a turn of prep time, and he'll also use Cryodynamics on all party members the following turn.
Burton actually isn't a human being; he's a circle that gained sentience.

Symmetrical Cavern Enemies
Triangle, Square, Pentagon and Hexagon all function on the same basic principle. If they sharpen their edges, they will attack once for each of their sides the next turn. You can steal an Edge from them, which will kill Triangles and downgrade more advanced polygons one step. Each one has a slight stat increase from its smaller form, though the jump from Pentagon to Hexagon is much more extreme. As such, though Triangles, Squares and Pentagons are found elsewhere throughout your first visit to Secret Meridian, the Hexagon is only found in the Symmetrical Cavern for now.
Squares, Triangles, and the other geometric shapes are all the same type of monster. It just grows more sides as it matures.

Grimclaw's Nest Enemies
Cackle can fly, becoming immune to physical attacks, and changing its normal attack to a magical fire breath.
Cackles like to feed off the rotting flesh of cadavers. When there aren't any available, they have no problem seeking out live prey.

Hindenburg will sometimes watch you and waste its turn. If damaged, it will explode, dealing its current HP as magical damage to one party member. You can steal Pressurized Gas from it, removing its ability to explode.
Hindenburgs float around mountainous regions. They tend to explode near mountain climbers in order to frighten them into falling.

Pud can tear off its skin while laughing, sacrificing 10% of its own HP for a 50% chance to make each party member Afraid. If it watches you, it will rampage for three 150% physical hits next turn.
Pud spends all day going up and down the mountain. He enjoys acting as a guide, only to lead visitors into ravines that are impossible to climb out of.

Skreet can bite a party member's neck, dealing physical damage and healing itself for that amount, and can also fly, becoming immune to physical attacks. While flying, it can use sonar to give a party member a Weakpoint, which triples the damage they take from the next attack to hit them, and dive-leech a party member, leeching 300% physical damage at the cost of losing flight. You can steal a Bat Chair from it.
A swarm of Skreets looks like an ominous black cloud. Ancient cultures thought the cloud was a great demon's breath.

Throbbing Feathers can yammer to Startle a party member. If it throbs, it might attack a party member with a magical gust of wind the next turn.
Throbbing Feathers molts constantly, but there always seem to be more feathers underneath.

Legs of the Ancient Giant Enemies
The enemies here also appear in Dark Dungeon, Floors 11-15. In addition to Onefish, Twofish, Triangle, Square and Pentagon, we also find:
Concentric Burtons functions much like a regular Burton, but with two shields that will absorb one hit each before fading away.
Concentric Burtons are emitting waves of radiation from a failed experiment.

Bosses
In the arena, Coltrane has the same attacks as his impostor, as well as a few new ones. If he tenses his muscles, he will counter all physical attacks that turn. After one turn of tensing, he can attack all party members. After two turns of muscle tensing, he can deal 300% physical damage to all party members. At 50% HP, he'll activate his mind's eye, increasing ATK, MAT and AGI by 50% for the rest of the battle.

Grimclaw will alternate between two phases. In the first phase, the party is on its back, and must kill three Nerve Worms in four turns, or else everybody dies. Grimclaw cannot attack you in this phase. The Nerve Worms can bite for 150% physical damage, but will more often inject venom, dealing physical damage and inflicting either Sick, Withering or Immunodeficiency. Every turn they will leech health from Grimclaw, and when one dies, any surviving ones will double their damage until they die too. In the second phase, Grimclaw will be too distant to attack with physical attacks. It can breathe fire, dealing magical damage to one party member, slam into the party for 250% physical damage, or screech, damaging and Startling the party. If it twists in agony and barrels toward you, it will deal 600% magical damage to the entire party next turn.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Funky Set (+5 LUK)
-Beanbag Chair (+1 DEF): Long-term use may cause spinal misalignment. Buy from Ms. Robin in Sacred Lantern.
-Lava Lamp (+1 ATK): Possibly powered by magic. Buy from Ms. Robin in Sacred Lantern.
-Peace Sign (+1 MDF): Meant to lay forgotten in your yard. Buy from Ms. Robin in Calm Valley.
-Hot Tub (+1 LUK): Smells like cigarette smoke. Buy from Ms. Robin in Calm Valley.

Creepy Set (???)
-Pumpkin TV (+2 MAT): Only shows footage of screeching ghouls. Steal from Goblin Warlock in east and south King's March.
-Bat Chair (+2 AGI): Capable of flight and echolocation. Steal from Skreet in Grimclaw's Nest.
-???
-???
-???

Floral Set (???)
-Rose Table (+3 ATK): Perfect for a dinner of soil, water and sunshine. Found in the Beehive.
-Happy Little End Table (+3 MAT): Won't stop laughing. Found in Giant Garden.
-Floral Vase (+3 AGI): Now you have one of your own! Found in Grimclaw's Nest.
-???
-???
-???

Pixel Set (???)
-Treasure Chest (+3 LUK): Filled with really blocky gold. Found in Castle Dragon's reflection.
-Throne (+3 DEF): Now you can play as a king! Found in Kingland.
-Tree (+3 MDF): From a scenic countryside to your playroom. Found in west King's March.
-Fountain (+3 AGI): The water's a little scratchy going down. Found in east King's March.
-King (+3 MAT): He seems kind of lost... Reward for beating Coltrane in the Arena.
-???

Geometric Set (???)
-Cube (+3 DEF): What does it do? Why is it here? Found in Symmetrical Cavern.
-Happiness Sphere (+3 LUK): Constantly says, "You will be happy." Found in Temple of Sight.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Would you like me to repeat that?

Solitair fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 16, 2019

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I got the impression that the Grimclaw mountain and boss fight are less about heights and more about falling. Jimmy must climb ominous nooses to proceed, bridges snap when Jimmy steps on them, the wind tries to sweep Jimmy off the cliff, and Grimclaw's strongest attack is a death spiral that concludes in a fatal crash.

This dungeon is foreshadowed early on; you can see a giant bird circling the mountain at first. Once you leave Homeflower, it becomes influenced by the Pulsating Mass. You can enter this nightmare zone as soon as you exit Legato. This is a terrible idea since you will fail the DPS check without the Jack o' Lantern and/or Andrew.

I looked it up and shockingly, this game's maker has never played LISA the Painful. He says he was inspired by its kickstarter campaign and realized that a single person could potentially make an intriguing RPG on their own.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mizuti posted:

I got the impression that the Grimclaw mountain and boss fight are less about heights and more about falling. Jimmy must climb ominous nooses to proceed, bridges snap when Jimmy steps on them, the wind tries to sweep Jimmy off the cliff, and Grimclaw's strongest attack is a death spiral that concludes in a fatal crash.

This dungeon is foreshadowed early on; you can see a giant bird circling the mountain at first. Once you leave Homeflower, it becomes influenced by the Pulsating Mass. You can enter this nightmare zone as soon as you exit Legato. This is a terrible idea since you will fail the DPS check without the Jack o' Lantern and/or Andrew.

it is theoretically possible to beat it if you have 10 Superballs plus Jonathan Bear, but still not advisable

also while trying to say as little as possible, using Jimmy's stage-commentary skill at Giant's Foot was the first real clear tingle i got of what the game's plot had in store

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Non-game commentary thoughts:
  • When Screaming Marmot said that she's from Boston, the first thing that came to my mind definitely wasn't feet pics.
  • My "favorite" request in a horny South Asian man's DM is "hi bby show bobs and vagene."
  • One of my favorite galaxy brain memes was, starting from the lowest, "X-Men in the MCU," "Fantastic Four and Galactus in the MCU," "Moleman in the MCU," "Disney's continued buying of IPs is bad for creativity and movies as a whole," and "King of the Hill in Kingdom Hearts." Now I want to see Arlen as a playable world in KH4, if it's ever made.

Mizuti posted:

"Fear of falling from a great height" seems to be the most accurate read.

Concentric Bunson is one of my favorite enemies in the game. It's clever and funny.

Oxxidation posted:

also while trying to say as little as possible, using Jimmy's stage-commentary skill at Giant's Foot was the first real clear tingle i got of what the game's plot had in store
Hey, when you're on a world-traveling adventure, you're gonna get tired. (cough)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I was wondering something at this point:

What do we know about Jimmy? It's kind of weird having a silent protagonist inside his own head.

We know:

1) He likes videogames and loves his family;
2) He hates dogs;
3) He loves Jonathon Bear's tv show (if not Jonathan Bear himself); and
4) We stole a bear.

Everything else appears to be metaphor or dictated through our own agency.

So Jimmy

1) is afraid of falling; and
2) is afraid of enclosed spaces; and
3) Loves to shake people?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Also, Jimmy feels things very strongly, so strongly that imagining what someone else is feeling makes him become a version of that person.

Also, my ex and I used to shout, "SHOW BOBS!" at each other in public because we are both secretly 11 year old boys.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

GrandmaParty posted:

I was wondering something at this point:

What do we know about Jimmy? It's kind of weird having a silent protagonist inside his own head.

We know:

1) He likes videogames and loves his family;
2) He hates dogs;
3) He loves Jonathon Bear's tv show (if not Jonathan Bear himself); and
4) We stole a bear.

Everything else appears to be metaphor or dictated through our own agency.

So Jimmy

1) is afraid of falling; and
2) is afraid of enclosed spaces; and
3) Loves to shake people?

Given that the other areas can be paralleled to certain characters, I feel Homeflower might closely represent Jimmy's personality the most given that other characters aren't really represented there and your second list is derived from events/areas from there.

This may be a typical for a boy his age, but Jimmy seems to have affectations for things that are cute/"sweet" (flowers, puffy clouds, talking animals), but also has a mischievous/rebellious side (the presence of the Petty Thugs, his first two forms being a pile of slime and a punk). He's at an age where everything represented by the east half of Homeflower might start to seem either "babyish" or "girly" as a result of peer pressure, and may be a bit embarassed to admit he still likes them.

He's also really bright and mature for his age given how complex some of his fears and representations of others are. "Dying in your sleep" doesn't seem like a common fear for kids, yet Ebeezil is often interpreted to represent that; everything pertaining to personal growth and attaining knowledge is also profound and complex, such as Timothy Mouse's announcement of his journey, the zen koans and whatnot delivered by the monks in Secret Meridian, and the presence of accurate geometry/chemistry-derived concepts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In Andrew's memory cave, it's mentioned that Jimmy tried but failed to get into a gifted & talented program at school, and his train of thought in there mentions him trying to memorize his time tables. Unlike other kids his age, he doesn't seem to hate going to school and does his best to excel there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
his mindset also often trends toward depressive/morbid thinking, even if you discount the pulsating mass or the nightmare dungeons - the melancholy endings of his empathy stories and the casual massacre of information guy are a couple examples

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The fear of falling also fits with the creepy-rear end elevator operator as an enemy. The sensation of dropping in an elevator can be very disconcerting for a child, especially if it has a sadistic operator that drops it faster to scare little boys.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In Andrew's memory cave, it's mentioned that Jimmy tried but failed to get into a gifted & talented program at school, and his train of thought in there mentions him trying to memorize his time tables. Unlike other kids his age, he doesn't seem to hate going to school and does his best to excel there.

Jimmy did his best!

Oxxidation posted:

his mindset also often trends toward depressive/morbid thinking, even if you discount the pulsating mass or the nightmare dungeons - the melancholy endings of his empathy stories and the casual massacre of information guy are a couple examples

Given all this about Jimmy being intelligent, but not quite intelligent enough (failing to get into the G&T program, possibly being pushed pretty hard by his father given most of the memories of him are about learning) it doesn't seem like a coincidence that the guy getting repeatedly murdered gruesomely is the one that specifically teaches.

I'm not sure what it might mean exactly, but it feels like an insight.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

mother fucker I just realized that one fish and two fish are redfish and blue fish

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

thecluckmeme posted:

mother fucker I just realized that one fish and two fish are redfish and blue fish

Beautiful, isn't it?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I've seen someone speculate that Information Guy is, in real life, a teacher that Jimmy hates. I choose to believe in that.

AltaBrown posted:

The fear of falling also fits with the creepy-rear end elevator operator as an enemy.
Oh that's what it is. I thought it was some evil toy.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 19, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

accidental doublepost

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

thecluckmeme posted:

Oh my loving gods

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

iospace posted:

Oh my loving gods

i grinned when i made the connection.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Jimmy has watched lots of horror movies for an 8 year old. A big chunk of his subconscious is devoted to scary things a child his age would only experience through horror movies. If Turnbuckle's words are anything to go by, he seems to enjoy them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mizuti posted:

Jimmy has watched lots of horror movies for an 8 year old. A big chunk of his subconscious is devoted to scary things a child his age would only experience through horror movies. If Turnbuckle's words are anything to go by, he seems to enjoy them.
That's Buck's influence for ya. Helga already hinted that Jimmy does a little too much of that.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Actually, about Buck. He's basically dropped out of the story without nary a mention. Well we ever see him again, was he ever even real? I remember seeing a version of him in the memory cave and he looked a lot like Jimmy, I mean he's his brother obviously, but is there more to it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tombot posted:

Actually, about Buck. He's basically dropped out of the story without nary a mention. Well we ever see him again, was he ever even real? I remember seeing a version of him in the memory cave and he looked a lot like Jimmy, I mean he's his brother obviously, but is there more to it?

he’s real, it’s just that jimmy’s feelings towards him are more complicated than the rest of his family and his role in the story follows that

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I would just like to say that the banner ads brought me here, the first video enticed me, and I have subsequently purchased and beaten this game. I loved it so much I have managed to get 3 other people to buy it as well. It is a crime that this game didn't get as much recognition as it deserves.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Tellaris posted:

I would just like to say that the banner ads brought me here, the first video enticed me, and I have subsequently purchased and beaten this game. I loved it so much I have managed to get 3 other people to buy it as well. It is a crime that this game didn't get as much recognition as it deserves.

these posts are the poo poo and I want to see as many like this as possible

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Honestly I got this game only because it was on sale some time ago, but I felt reluctant to actually play it-the only curator I know who has reviewed it... left a very negative review which made me hesitant to get into this game. But binging the LP has made me want to give it a try for myself. I'm installing it right now as I write this in fact.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tellaris posted:

VolticSurge posted:

Honestly I got this game only because it was on sale some time ago, but I felt reluctant to actually play it-the only curator I know who has reviewed it... left a very negative review which made me hesitant to get into this game. But binging the LP has made me want to give it a try for myself. I'm installing it right now as I write this in fact.

thevoiceofdog posted:

these posts are the poo poo and I want to see as many like this as possible

Dog has nailed it. I'm so glad this game is getting more people on board. It's so good. And poo poo's about to get real.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

Dog has nailed it. I'm so glad this game is getting more people on board. It's so good. And poo poo's about to get real.

Between the Pulsating Mass and the other general body horror, how much more real can poo poo get?! :magical:

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I know it can get real as in real depressing. Lars especially is depression incarnate (and also my depressed uncle spirit animal).

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 23 is up!

Miz Kriss joins me to explore the world's library! Holy poo poo, this place rules. We talk over a lot of it but I do actually interrupt us to talk about the game.

Hope you like the awful cats musical. And Twilight. And romantic vampires. And the act of urinating all over libertarian fiction.

This boss fight? Murderous. Even for my overlevelled rear end. I think the key had to have been keeping one closed and one open.

A couple things: I am missing one enemy and I need one more steal from the variable fish. I'll go back and get them. This raw footage was no joke like 90 minutes, mainly due to that fucker Sneaky Lincoln.

I did take some license in stopping the episode where I did. We'll pick it up next time. Because I didn't want to ruin a good piece of dramatic tension

Commentary On

No Commentary

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I really want to talk about that cut scene

1) Holy gently caress;
2) It's pretty clear what the pulsating mass is;
3) The way he animated this cut scene was a really interesting way of doing it; and
4) There's a huge amount of interpretation in the last portion with the clenched fist.

Oh my god. I love it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've been playing, and I really hate that I can't use my D-pad on my controller. The analog stick makes it a pain to do combat properly, as it gets bumped way too easily and screws everything up.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I mentioned this before, but watching 15 minutes of VoD's Twitch stream caused me to get this game and play it on my own.

Sneaky Lincoln and another enemy struck me as "come back to this dungeon later" fodder. When you first enter this dungeon, you're too slow to steal from Lincoln and too weak to withstand the attacks of the other enemy.

The boss is one of my favorites, it's a puzzle boss. The key, is to keep none of its eyes open, so you have to be careful with your attacks.

When you said in the Yuk thread that you got misty 45 minutes in at the start of Timothy Mouse's adventure, I had a feeling that you may not be emotionally ready for Jimmy. Figuring out what the Pulsating Mass is is a big reason for that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 22, 2019

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
man even before I accidentally spoiled myself on the Mass, I called it

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The boss is one of my favorites, it's a puzzle boss. The key, is to keep none of its eyes open, so you have to be careful with your attacks.

When you said in the Yuk thread that you got misty 45 minutes in at the start of Timothy Mouse's adventure, I had a feeling that you may not be emotionally ready for Jimmy. Figuring out what the Pulsating Mass is is a big reason for that.

It's a brutal puzzle boss. I'm WAY overlevelled thanks to that fucker Sneaky Lincoln and it was still a tough fight because leaving both eyes open means you're going to get crazy charmed and leaving both closed means you're a dead boy. And Lars messes things up with his counter.

Without explicitly saying it, between the clues in the temple, the themes presented and the graphic representation, the Pulsating Mass is pretty clearly cancer. Jimmy has cancer. gently caress, man.

I'm throwing open the spoiler gates as to discussion on that point but nothing that happens on the future.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 22, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jimmy wants to keep climbing, but he's been so tired lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Jimmy wants to keep climbing, but he's been so tired lately.
There are little things in the dialog up to now that have hinted at the real villain, and that's one of them. Also: when the Pulsating Mass was in dog form, he mentioned wanting to "gobble up his brain" and give him "new organs." Those were some oddly specific threats.

edit: added spoilers because might as well

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 22, 2019