Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Wafflecopper posted:

Better just quit then

they uninstalled two weeks ago and apparently reinstalled just to whine again

maybe next time it'll stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
How many positive things should I say before a complaint isn't whining?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's whining because the shuffler is fine and you're just making poo poo up to excuse losing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
your complaint was that the shuffler was busted and that you could shuffle better, which was weird and implied being mad about not being able to mana weave or w/e especially combined with your decklist you posted that had nearly no dual lands (among other odd choices)

like my basic advice is to look at your construction and see if you can fix the problems you're having, but also maybe actually elaborate on your issues if you want to get actual advice

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

it's whining because the shuffler is fine and you're just making poo poo up to excuse losing

There were some reddit posts from a couple months ago that showed weird trends in BO1, specifically with non-mulligan hands, but I'm not sure if they were ever validated :shrug:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I get land pretty easily, my issue is there's not much way to get the game to stop giving you land if it decides to flood. I've triggered Midnight Reaper three times and drawn lands for all of them. There's the Scry lands of course, but I find clumps are common enough I'm not sure how much it would matter. If I take a bum hand that's obviously on me, but getting a dead draw is one of the worst things in Magic, especially when it's two or more in a row.

So I should have either specified or not posted anything since it's not really a problem with a surefire solution.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Studio posted:

There were some reddit posts from a couple months ago that showed weird trends in BO1, specifically with non-mulligan hands, but I'm not sure if they were ever validated :shrug:

BO1 has a known and confirmed mechanic to attempt to prevent mana screw. There's nothing to validate.

We don't know about the bo1 goosing on some of the finer details, but it draws two hands, and the hand closer to the land/spell ratio gets picked. Mulligans are treated normally, no goosing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Justin_Brett posted:

or not posted anything

found the solution

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bitching about manascrew is fundamental to playing magic

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Prav posted:

bitching about manascrew is fundamental to playing magic

making fun of people that complain about manascrew is fundamental to playing magic

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
It is not the game stacking the deck to make you lose, it is God.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

if you dont like mana screw, dont play magic

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

making fun of people that complain about manascrew is fundamental to playing magic

i think this thread would do well with fewer people being dicks for no reason

Down With People posted:

god is dead and the shuffler killed him

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Prav posted:

That guy literally said he shuffles better than the shuffler, that’s just asking for it.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Down With People posted:

This is weird to hear, I'm not sure how accurate that is. Because I read online and seen on tv (and a chic tract) that magic leads to satan worshipping and thats why all magic nerds are unwashed fat dudes while god worshippers are cool he-men lifting weights?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that's why He is telling you to not play. turn away from the devil.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Prav posted:

in the 25+ years of this game's existance, there has never once been an interesting story of mana screw

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I get land pretty easily, my issue is there's not much way to get the game to stop giving you land if it decides to flood. I've triggered Midnight Reaper three times and drawn lands for all of them. There's the Scry lands of course, but I find clumps are common enough I'm not sure how much it would matter. If I take a bum hand that's obviously on me, but getting a dead draw is one of the worst things in Magic, especially when it's two or more in a row.

You do understand that having runs of lands (or spells) is what you will absolutely have in a ~perfectly~ randomized deck?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Justin_Brett posted:

I could shuffle better than this loving game and I can't do it at all. And what a coincidence, this happens when I need one more win to draft.

Lunsku posted:

You do understand that having runs of lands (or spells) is what you will absolutely have in a ~perfectly~ randomized deck?

I'm pretty sure you could write down the things he knows on the back of a Magic card while keeping it tournament legal.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Oceanbound posted:

That guy literally said he shuffles better than the shuffler, that’s just asking for it.

It's almost like he manaweaves

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
the cruel fairness of the machine is foil to many a Yuuya Wannabe

my most recent instruction in this lesson was getting blown out the last round of a Bo3 run by drawing 12 of 17 lands in 15 turns already having started with three in hand :shepicide:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Lone Goat posted:

in the 25+ years of this game's existance, there has never once been an interesting story of mana screw

My friend wait until you hear MY story

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The scry lands should have been uncommons.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

hot diggity dog

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Doltos posted:

hot diggity dog

Sorry buddy, that’s a visual bug. You only got 1 Cavalier. :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kjermzs posted:

Sorry buddy, that’s a visual bug. You only got 1 Cavalier. :(

Hot diggity dog

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Azuth0667 posted:

100% agree.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

oh there's a cosmetic for a probably useless uncommon when you 7 win a ranked draft
that's new I guess?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

I played a game of modern with my friend once where both of us ended up mulling down to 4 and (correctly) keeping no-landers

both of us discarded to hand size that game

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zauper posted:

I thought the consensus on Sorin4 is that he's pretty bad?

I guess if you're running aerialist maybe less so?

I've a similar list and I found he's really helpful if the game goes medium-long: sometimes you really, really just need to revive a Knight of the Ebon Legion a few times.

But I'm also pretty low ranked because I don't play all that much outside of quickies and drafts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Azuth0667 posted:

All the useful dual lands should be uncommons.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

All the useful dual lands should be uncommons.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Brawl seems like a bad format, like why would I want to play against guaranteed Time Raveler or Nissa? If it was just legendaries like Commander it seems like that would be a lot better.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
when factoring in my flawless, completely optimal style of play (just my personal preference) i only ever lose because the game gives me the wrong cards to beat my opponent, which is a shuffler issue when you get right down to it

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
the problem is not that those cards are going to be as dominant as they are in standard, but that Brawl is restricted to standard legal cards. it should just be an eternal format.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

seizure later posted:

the problem is not that those cards are going to be as dominant as they are in standard, but that Brawl is restricted to standard legal cards. it should just be an eternal format.

the whole original idea was to make a commander variant that didn't require you to get loads of out of print cards, so it made perfect sense to have it be a standard format. if it wasn't, it'd just be "commander, but with smaller decks"

and if you're trying to restart this for arena which is likely never to implement anything older than Shadows over Innistrad (and no guarantee it goes back that far) you've got even more of an incentive to keep it standard-only

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've just realised that a lesser-noted benefit if the London mulligan is that it's better with a T1 Temple of the play. I just remembered as the times I mulled, left the card on top and got nothing from my tap land

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://mobile.twitter.com/0fe1ia/status/1152531013547020288

This deck is fun as hell. Chandra casting finale is so good. I think 3 drop Chandra is my favorite card from M20.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

I played a game of modern with my friend once where both of us ended up mulling down to 4 and (correctly) keeping no-landers

both of us discarded to hand size that game

you could have just agreed to draw the game and both go back to 7

but for one player it's correct not to agree to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got my first 7-win draft today, feels great.

I don't even care that two of my first three opponents were playing 60-card 5-color decks, I still won