Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HopperUK posted:

He posted a draft to his patreon supporters about 20 minutes before you posted this, so it's coming!

oh poo poo im a supporter too!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I remember a short documentary about the film where they interviewed some of the crew, who said the movie was considered a good way to break into Hollywood back then. Tippi and Noel were so desperate that they would hire anyone, and they needed so many crewmen (because people kept quitting to take jobs that wouldn't kill them) that as long you were willing to take the risk of lion death you could get a job on the crew and get yourself experience.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I imagine no one who says they misses BOTL actually misses him. Dude was a real oval office.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I imagine no one who says they misses BOTL actually misses him. Dude was a real oval office.

The Book Lords over in TBB probably still have a shrine to him squirrelled away somewhere. They seem to have calmed down lately without Lamps there to lead them to the shitposting promised land, which is probably for the best.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

The Book Lords over in TBB probably still have a shrine to him squirrelled away somewhere. They seem to have calmed down lately without Lamps there to lead them to the shitposting promised land, which is probably for the best.

i think its difficult to understand how truly loathsome fantasy in literature is without being immersed in it. With regard to books, and only books, BOTL utter contempt was actually proportionately justified.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's frustrating enough dealing with some of the pedants in Book Barn without BOTL sticking his head in and stirring up poo poo for no good reason.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

This is a guy who thought it'd be cool to insinuate one of the thread's posters was a paedo over a media disagreement. Clearly an incredible critical mind.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kim Justice posted:

Sadly I'm pretty sure there are posters who mean it sincerely, as BOTL had a small cadre of hangers-on, imitators, and fanboys who lauded his amazing contrarian nonsense views as transgressive masterpieces rather than self-admitted trolling and general bad faith bullshit. These were the same folks that melted down when the mods dared to give him a smack on the wrist and frankly their constant whining about alleged groupthink and how it was an injustice to silence BOTL for his Very Important views (nay, dare even call the mods in at all, rather than debate the walking bad faith argument fairly) makes me deeply suspicious of their motives.

A big flaming stink posted:

like don't get me wrong the guy was a relentless rear end in a top hat and loving reveled in making everyone hate him (to say nothing of his sincere meanness that he would show to some poor folk) but he really knew what he was talking about, and on the rare occasions he was sincerely engaging with people he had quite a few insights into art in general. dude was also real loving funny.

I remember people describing John K. exactly like this. No amount of knowledge, mastery, or insight counterbalances being a toxic rear end in a top hat, actually.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 21, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kim Justice posted:

This is a guy who thought it'd be cool to insinuate one of the thread's posters was a paedo over a media disagreement. Clearly an incredible critical mind.

the elon musk strategy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

And stalked another poster around the Internet mocking their miniature photography, which they were doing as a form of therapy no less. The classiest, most elite of scholars.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I remember people describing John K. exactly like this. No amount of knowledge, mastery, or insight counterbalances being a toxic rear end in a top hat, actually.

:ohno:

yeah, you got a point there

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

All I'm relearning from this thread is that Cinema Discusso Troll posters are actually horrible people sans H Bomberguy. Like wasn't there reveal that Super Mecha Godzilla was some creep as well?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 21, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know about creep, but I do remember SMG argued that it's ok for cis actors to play trans characters by concern trolling about wealthy actors playing poor characters so gently caress him and his fanbase.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Annointed posted:

All I'm relearning from this thread is that Cinema Discusso Troll posters are actually horrible people sans H Bomberguy. Like wasn't there reveal that Super Mecha Godzilla was some creep as well?

SMG defended Armond White when White was perpetuating the right wing conspiracy theory that the survivors of the Parkland High School mass shooting were "crisis actors", and historically has done similar things when Zizek has said distasteful stuff about social justice issues or minorities. He has some reflex where he can't just admit he likes some points media critics raise while disagreeing with other political takes they have or admitting he hasn't read that portion of their writing and can't/shouldn't weigh in on it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

SMG defended Armond White when White was perpetuating the right wing conspiracy theory that the survivors of the Parkland High School mass shooting were "crisis actors", and historically has done similar things when Zizek has said distasteful stuff about social justice issues or minorities. He has some reflex where he can't just admit he likes some points media critics raise while disagreeing with other political takes they have or admitting he hasn't read that portion of their writing and can't/shouldn't weigh in on it.

In the end he acts like any other defensive nerd on the internet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

i think its difficult to understand how truly loathsome fantasy in literature is without being immersed in it. With regard to books, and only books, BOTL utter contempt was actually proportionately justified.

Oh no who will be pedantic about childrens orc books now

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

However SMG posted this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you can’t be racist against fictional characters, then prove it: call Mace Windu the n-word.

Which is maybe the funniest thing to ever come out of CD so

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Who will defend the Owls of Ga’hoole now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Who will defend the Owls of Ga’hoole now

That movie is one beautiful looking series of well choreographed shots of CG owls with occasional voice acting from talented big name stars. gently caress if I remember thing 1 about it besides its soundtrack. It was one hell of a demo reel... for an animation house that probably folded because the movie bombed. But anyway.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Unless I'm gravely mistaken they went on to make the Lego Movie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Unless I'm gravely mistaken they went on to make the Lego Movie.

Now, see, there you go. Phil Lord and Chris Miller know how actually tell a story and make an appealing product. Zack Snyder just knows how to make really good looking individual scenes but doesn't know how to make them into a story.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

I was always confused by that, but I recall that Last Action Hero didn't fare very well critically at the time.

It eventually occurred to me at some point is that the problem with Last Action Hero is that it's a spoof on action films, but at the same time, there's the whole 'kid with magical movie ticket who get teleported into film and points out all the action movie tropes & clichés' that drags that down.

Regardless, I feel like one could make a list of times where Doug got confused/bewildered/upset at something in a film when it was either explained or it just went over his head.

For a time, Doug from me got a pass because one naturally assumed that he was doing shtick and the Critic was a character not not unlike AVGN. Then as time went by and I watched more of Doug being Doug when he'd do those 'what I really think' videos you come to find out that indeed he has no special insight, is not a critic and isn't even much of a reviewer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fabricated posted:

getfiscal was despised by a ton of people here and now is basically a beloved political troll on twitter

I still think he sucks but hey

Was that the "I just wanted to bbe a moderator" poster?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

getfiscal’s tweets rule what is wrong with you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

nine-gear crow posted:

That movie is one beautiful looking series of well choreographed shots of CG owls with occasional voice acting from talented big name stars. gently caress if I remember thing 1 about it besides its soundtrack. It was one hell of a demo reel... for an animation house that probably folded because the movie bombed. But anyway.

they do tons of stuff, both for fully-animated films and normal movies (they did cgi for captain marvel, alien covenant, etc)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only good post by BotL I can think of is when he did this insanely elaborate(like seriously 20 or 30 paragraphs with diagrams and everything) breakdown of some manga series's architectural monstrosities because they were trying to mashup three or more different eras of architecture and it was a nightmarish mess. Like on the level of betsy devos's clusterfuck mansion

if only he did more of that and less of the creepy and bad troll things

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that mansion always pisses me off. how do the rich have such garbage style.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think that's where you take the phrase 'ancestral pile' a bit too literally.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah but the difference is he considers literally every other modern animated movie garbage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Read Crumble Hall by Mary Leapor. Or the Alexander Pope poem about the class and taste. Granted Pope was whining about the merchant class pretending to be as classy as the nobility, but his points about people with money who don't deserve it having awful taste is pretty poignant.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 21, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I don't think we need to recount the many and ill-omened crimes of a snooty Finnish librarian again

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

the only botl thing worth remembering is that he called everyone who liked him weird cultists.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

excuse please how do you barf a mansion

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fil5000 posted:

Was that the "I just wanted to bbe a moderator" poster?
Nah, that was TastyArmageddon. GetFiscal was a DnD/LF shitposter and I'm pretty sure my memory is right that he was not well liked. His posting style ended up working better on twitter.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

the only good post by BotL I can think of is when he did this insanely elaborate(like seriously 20 or 30 paragraphs with diagrams and everything) breakdown of some manga series's architectural monstrosities because they were trying to mashup three or more different eras of architecture and it was a nightmarish mess. Like on the level of betsy devos's clusterfuck mansion

if only he did more of that and less of the creepy and bad troll things

This is horribly unfunny like gbs tier

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Jack Black is doing a charity stream with Pewdiepie. Awkward.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Watching (well, at this point listening to) the newest BotW now and that no one died during the production of ROAR is a miracle, holy poo poo. :stare:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I want to befriend that elephant who hates boats. That's a cool elephant.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dragonatrix posted:

Watching (well, at this point listening to) the newest BotW now and that no one died during the production of ROAR is a miracle, holy poo poo. :stare:

If you've never seen the trailer for the Drafthouse rerelease you really need to, its quite possibly one of the greatest trailers ever made

https://youtu.be/cny_D50Rr44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dragonatrix posted:

It kinda got buried in CA chat, but again I highly recommend OKI Weird Stories video on Roar if you want to know more about its production and the people who made it.