Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Shipon posted:

just do the bare minimum at work and collect a paycheck and come home and shitpost, we're all hosed anyway so we might as well goof off now

But business as usual is what got us here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrFlibble posted:

The ironic detachment from life isn't quite as fun when you're looking at a happy infant and can see the future turning to ash.

But other than that, lol.

Whether it's fun or not is not the point, at least for people who use detachment as a defense mechanism (as I do, dunno about others). poo poo is gonna happen; some of it will suck. Maybe most of it will suck. Caring about it just makes me anxious, and does nothing to stop it — and I already have anxiety and depression completely unrelated to climate change, so I prefer not to pile more worries onto my plate. Hakuna matata.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Shipon posted:

just do the bare minimum at work and collect a paycheck and come home and shitpost, we're all hosed anyway so we might as well goof off now

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
come to the climate change thread for the lols, stay for the weird mental breaks as people realize they're just as mortal as all the poor schmucks they thought they were better than, continue lolin

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I still lol that people actually thought climate change would only affect south of the equator somehow.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

radicalize your coworkers while doing the bare minimum tho

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minrad posted:

come to the climate change thread for the lols, stay for the weird mental breaks as people realize they're just as mortal as all the poor schmucks they thought they were better than, continue lolin

:sg:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snoo posted:

radicalize your coworkers while doing the bare minimum tho

go in high and start a union

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
As dire as things seem, you don't want to completely alienate your circle of friends. You will need some kind of a social group to form a proper post apocalyptic raider band!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Colonel Cancer posted:

As dire as things seem, you don't want to completely alienate your circle of friends. You will need some kind of a social group to form a proper post apocalyptic raider band!

Mine watched Lion King with me just this past week and afterwards they asked me about climate change while we got donuts since they know I look into this poo poo and when it came to them asking what they could do I told them kill millionaires and billionaires in the streets right now or work to mitigate whatever suffering you can. The killing the rich thing and pretending that it would do anything was me giving them false optimism to not completely kill the mood.

Lion King sucked BTW it lacks the vibrant animation and character of the original, and also it's full of animals and places that are going to be extinct like by the time the blu-ray comes out.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

Mine watched Lion King with me just this past week and afterwards they asked me about climate change while we got donuts since they know I look into this poo poo and when it came to them asking what they could do I told them kill millionaires and billionaires in the streets right now or work to mitigate whatever suffering you can. The killing the rich thing and pretending that it would do anything was me giving them false optimism to not completely kill the mood.

Lion King sucked BTW it lacks the vibrant animation and character of the original, and also it's full of animals and places that are going to be extinct like by the time the blu-ray comes out.

yeah, if we're not already past the threshold from "technically possible but entirely unfeasible" and well into "impossible" with regards to human action being able to halt global warming we are rapidly approaching it

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Spending the last years before full blown crisis on hedonistic pleasures is a dumb idea. Unless you plan on killing yourself when things start to get bad, you're going to have to live with the guilt that not only did you do nothing, you exacerbated the problem.

There's still a chance that not only can we get through this, but we can transform our society into something better. That should inspire you. You should reprogram yourself to find enjoyment in making the world a better place. If you decide to check-out and go gently caress anime in Tokyo, you are going to have to live with that for the rest of your life. You don't need to go to Tokyo. It's probably not that great anyways. It's definitely not great enough to participate in a opulent travel culture that is destroying the world.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Kindest Forums User posted:

There's still a chance that not only can we get through this, but we can transform our society into something better.

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrFlibble posted:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

MrFlibble posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spending the last years before full blown crisis on hedonistic pleasures is a dumb idea. Unless you plan on killing yourself when things start to get bad, you're going to have to live with the guilt that not only did you do nothing, you exacerbated the problem.

There's still a chance that not only can we get through this, but we can transform our society into something better. That should inspire you. You should reprogram yourself to find enjoyment in making the world a better place. If you decide to check-out and go gently caress anime in Tokyo, you are going to have to live with that for the rest of your life. You don't need to go to Tokyo. It's probably not that great anyways. It's definitely not great enough to participate in a opulent travel culture that is destroying the world.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think there's still a chance but the mods have made it clear they don't want us talking about the actually useful solutions.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The cool part about the idea that we personally could have done anything is CO2 takes around 10 to 15 years of baking time to hit peak warming potential, meaning most of what we're feeling now was spewed out when Dubya or Obama were in office still, I barely had much idea about climate change back then other than what Al Gore and Day After Tomorrow said and was more concerned with the lovely PC ports of games that were coming out at the time. So you're already guilty and you should already feel bad.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Colonel Cancer posted:

nah I'll die, thanks

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Crunchy Black posted:

nah I'll die, thanks

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having a small to moderate sum of money that lets you go to Tokyo and do all the pervert poo poo imaginable and writing it up like it’s some sort of act of great shame to not live like a fundamentalist Christian is a loving incredible rallying cry for a nigh-impossible climate change movement that literally nobody would ever wish to subscribe to.

nothing is guaranteed anymore. enjoy what you can. rally around preserving these experiences for future generations. if our only salvation is living like loving cultists, then gently caress it, it wasn’t worth it to begin with.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
My plan once a BOE becomes apparent is to message everyone I know telling them to do whatever they wanted to do before they died, but do it quickly, and then laugh at them as the Hypercane comes for us when they don't listen because I know a bunch of them can afford it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I want to become a cultist in the Hypercane death cult

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

Taintrunner posted:

having a small to moderate sum of money that lets you go to Tokyo and do all the pervert poo poo imaginable and writing it up like it’s some sort of act of great shame to not live like a fundamentalist Christian is a loving incredible rallying cry for a nigh-impossible climate change movement that literally nobody would ever wish to subscribe to.

nothing is guaranteed anymore. enjoy what you can. rally around preserving these experiences for future generations. if our only salvation is living like loving cultists, then gently caress it, it wasn’t worth it to begin with.

I used to travel and do a lot of thrill seeking. And now that I've adopted a more humble and active lifestyle i can find just as much enjoyment as my wilder days. Not only that, the enjoyment I have is based off of relationships with people and groups in my community, so my life feels more meaningful.

I highly doubt you'll get more satisfaction from jobs in Tokyo than trying to connect and and make a difference in your community.

Anybody who suggests people to abandon hope and participate in an opulent bourgeoisie lifestyle during the biggest crisis of the loving universe should be one of the first put up against the wall.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

a temple room but instead of candle light or stained glass windows it's concrete furnaces and pyres of the thickest, smelliest processed oil leftovers and a gigantic swirling matrix of graphics cards mining bitcoins in the shape of a hurricane on the far wall

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I used to travel and do a lot of thrill seeking. And now that I've adopted a more humble and active lifestyle i can find just as much enjoyment as my wilder days

lol

quote:

Rue tried to remember a time when something in her life hadn’t been on fire, or underwater, or falling apart, and realized she couldn’t. She tried to remember a time when she had slept as peacefully as Nona.

Nona said she loved Rue, but all Rue felt was empty distance between them—the shredded gap between the life her grandmother had enjoyed and the tatters that Rue had inherited. Her grandmother had drunk espresso in Italy and meditated in the temples of Kyoto. She’d lived a full life.

Rue imagined strangling her

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
If you have traveled 50 miles from your point of birth you deserve to be strung up on a cross.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Colonel Cancer posted:

congrats you bought yourself an extra decade by being the shittiest person and surrounding yourself with other lovely people you're not going to be having fun while you're doing whatever horribly grim thing you have to do to get one more day

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We live on a planet of almost eight billion people. If you're not a CEO, or your actions don't affect a CEO, then your individual actions mean exactly jack poo poo. Corporations and capitalism destroyed this planet.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Minrad posted:

a temple room but instead of candle light or stained glass windows it's concrete furnaces and pyres of the thickest, smelliest processed oil leftovers and a gigantic swirling matrix of graphics cards mining bitcoins in the shape of a hurricane on the far wall

A picture of a hurricane of smoke from the Siberian wildfires.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Minrad posted:

i'm gonna be stubborn and say there's a difference between hoping/planning for a full life and knowing there's a chance it's gonna be taken away from you and everyone you love sooner than anyone had thought, and i don't think you need to be privileged to be sad about the death of the future

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The rest of your life being ~30 years whether you enjoy yourself now or not certainly militates for having some fun.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

This thread is full of cowardly bitch babies that will do anything to justify their laziness and inaction. You're worse than denialists.

If you go do some traveling, maybe travel to Bangladesh or India. Go tell everyone you meet there:
"hello my name is whiny crybaby. Your country is beautiful. Thank you for spending your entire lives in sweatshops making my lovely clothing. I decided to travel the world before it all goes to poo poo. Sorry that your neighborhood is going to be swallowed by the sea, that your first born will die from dehydration, and that the air you breath burns your lungs. That sucks. I was going to do something about it climate change, but there was a chance that none of my efforts would have matter. Doing something in vain sounds awful, so instead I came here to gently caress your prostitutes, eat your food, and buy your cheap poo poo before you all die in conditions worse than torture."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This thread is full of cowardly bitch babies that will do anything to justify their laziness and inaction. You're worse than denialists.

If you go do some traveling, maybe travel to Bangladesh or India. Go tell everyone you meet there:
"hello my name is whiny crybaby. Your country is beautiful. Thank you for spending your entire lives in sweatshops making my lovely clothing. I decided to travel the world before it all goes to poo poo. Sorry that your neighborhood is going to be swallowed by the sea, that your first born will die from dehydration, and that the air you breath burns your lungs. That sucks. I was going to do something about it climate change, but there was a chance that none of my efforts would have matter. Doing something in vain sounds awful, so instead I came here to gently caress your prostitutes, eat your food, and buy your cheap poo poo before you all die in conditions worse than torture."

Hey can I ask who you voted for in the 2016 general election?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Anybody who suggests people to abandon hope and participate in an opulent bourgeoisie lifestyle during the biggest crisis of the loving universe should be one of the first put up against the wall.

You're going to kill those people regardless though. May as well have fun before the deathsquads form up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tokyo is pretty cool

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If Hillary had won there would have been nuclear winter by now, preventing this climate disaster from occurring.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

it was about four years of my life

SKULL.GIF posted:

We live on a planet of almost eight billion people. If you're not a CEO, or your actions don't affect a CEO, then your individual actions mean exactly jack poo poo. Corporations and capitalism destroyed this planet.

This is so pathetic.

Relevant Tangent posted:

The rest of your life being ~30 years whether you enjoy yourself now or not certainly militates for having some fun.

There's ways to have fun that doesn't destroy the environment. jesus loving christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I say bring on the cults already