Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

the worst thing about twitter is that it encourages the most confrontational sort of interactions. there is a valid critique to be made of the song ignoring colonialism. but within the context of guthrie's career it seems like a bad faith interpretation to say that's the intent of the song rather than a probably unforeseen implication. it was written in the context of millions of people being displaced from the great plains and mass consolidation of farmland, so even for white people the myth of all that free land was pretty thoroughly killed at that point, as a bunch of the settler families were now just poor migrant workers.

if guthrie was alive today, or even still around for AIM's activities at Wounded Knee or Alcatraz, he'd probably add in something about the theft of the land originally.

the pro-slavery part is bullshit tho

there's also just a bunch of Extremely Online nutjobs so nonracist they demand ethnostates with strictly enforced race-appropriate culture and miscegenation laws, who will elaborate on this to suit any character limit you prefer

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

I need to clean the gunk out of my eyes. I misread cit uprising as clit uprising.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

what the hell does this mean

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tulip posted:

it means that people who criticize the elites are hypocrites because the criticizers have it better than people who are dumb

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
nah not non English but he seems to think there are two types of people, elites and the American version of cockney orphans.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
is that not a joke

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you say that jeff bezos has too much money but are you aware that children are starving in africa???

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/hayBEARS/status/1153038472015302656?s=20

lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tulip posted:

it's a joke and a pretty funny one

the joke is that poor people see "lite" as "light" like "miller lite"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao #fibro on the profile

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1153099127200329729

(post-commercial stinger voice) and don't forget our vast selection of memes!

not a bad take, but funny and relevant

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/WeWuzBoomers/status/1153105931036766208?s=20

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

lmao notice how they picked the "God hates Troops" part of the Phelps rhetoric. I'm guessing the gays are still ok to hate in the party of Lincoln.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I'm the 9-11 truther taking back the gop

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

would look better on Stone Mountain

that's the right idea, but put OutKast on stone mountain

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

lmao this is what my dad actually thinks

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1153060285038694401?s=19

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

this is a paid advertisement

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lol they cant conceive of steven miller as a nazi because he's jewish, which makes him a commie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems like ideal disruptive propaganda to post to your chud relatives

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

lol they cant conceive of steven miller as a nazi because he's jewish, which makes him a commie.

i think thats supposed to be putin

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Libs and the like using Soviet aesthetic to portray Putin and modern Russia because of the residual Cold War psychosis really triggers my fee fees

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's good propaganda but I have no idea what they think a return to the Good GOP would look like. Same corruption but the racism gets quieter again?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's good propaganda but I have no idea what they think a return to the Good GOP would look like. Same corruption but the racism gets quieter again?

the trump GOP is more popular with republican voters than the pre-trump one ever was. trumpism is the future of the gop for the next few generations at least. even with the boomers dying off young republicans range from red hats to nazi /pol/ pepes and ultimately they're the future of the party

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 15:21 on Jul 22, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

They'll probably quiet down just enough that its a bit easier to pretend they're not racist but thats mostly a function of Trumps brain leaking out his ears

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Libs and the like using Soviet aesthetic to portray Putin and modern Russia because of the residual Cold War psychosis really triggers my fee fees

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

they want to go back to the days when republicans at least made attempts to justify their endless wars and corporatism.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

reactionary ideology is all about hearkening back to the hazy mythic golden age of purity and values where everyone was happy back before new things ruined everything, it's not like applying it to When The GOP Was Good makes any less sense than Making America Great Again

StashAugustine posted:

They'll probably quiet down just enough that its a bit easier to pretend they're not racist but thats mostly a function of Trumps brain leaking out his ears

What would be the point when they can get everything they want by being openly racist? They get to do what they actually want to do and if anyone seems like they might object they can just just holler "I'm so OFFENDED you would call me a RACIST!" until the liberals dogpile the upstart for the sake of decorum.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Jul 22, 2019

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

get that OUT of my face posted:

the only reason why trump isn't worse imo. my money's on "he's an easily distracted bitch and won't do it" but you never know

they were actively thinking of making this the national anthem at one point, but its communist sympathies doomed it. so that's why a drinking song is our national anthem instead

america the beautiful was a close to tolerable option but then again:

o beautiful for pilgrim feet
whose stern impassioned press
a thoroughfare for freedom beat
across the wilderness!
america, america
god mend thine every flaw
confirm thy soul in self control
thy liberty in law

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ronald reagan was when the republicans were good because he went on tv and sounded nice. sure if you listen to his actual words he was saying he was going to purge the brown menace but he said it like it was a good thing

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1153348136217337856

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lol jfc who the gently caress is that broken?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Zeroisanumber posted:

The NOT TRUMP republicans are anti-Trump because it impacts their ability to go to high society parties and not get mocked (see: the 30 or so articles NYT has published about Alan Dershowitz feeling left out at Martha's Vineyard). This is a sort of material interest, but it also only applies to like five rich failsons who work for major newspapers, so that's why Trump has the highest in-party approval rating ever while you keep hearing about Republicans who dislike him. None of them matter but they all have megaphones.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lol jfc who the gently caress is that broken?

I'd imagine most people who suffer through our prison system are at least that broken.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

StashAugustine posted:

I thought this until the last month or so. Now i think that'll only happen if Trpmu has a mcstroke in the next year or two. Current course looks more like GOP going open white supremacy until they collapse into a rump party, collapse the government, or climate apocalypse.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

another option is that the system-rigging continues apace and the republicans continue to rule the country despite receiving smaller and smaller shares of public support, and the dems refuse to question their legitimacy because that might destabilize the system

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Even pre-Trump you could easily be fully fash as a Democrat and not even raise any eyebrows so long as you weren't too vocal about AR15s, banning abortions, or the only real racism being how anyone's allowed to get mad at you for dropping hard Rs, so if someone keeps acting like their Republican party affiliation is non-negotiable it's pretty clear exactly where they stand

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 00:49 on Jul 23, 2019

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
The NY Times has created a votable list of Summer Hot Takes
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/07/22/style/summer-hot-takes.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

NightGyr posted: