Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Convincing new recruits it's an ancient and honourable warrior tradition is probably an ancient and honourable warrior tradition though

e: Heavens, what a terrible snype. Content:

Joseph Lister, the 1st baron Lister and surgical pioneer, is famous to this day for championing antiseptic surgery, earning him public monuments in both London and a hospital named after him in Chelsea. He also managed to kill 3 people while operating on 1 person.

Ichabod Sexbeast has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
im 28 and like to get in fights with racists on twitter can i join the ancient warrior club

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PMush Perfect posted:

im 28 and like to get in fights with racists on twitter can i join the ancient warrior club

If you want my pubes, just ask

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

what why would i want someone elses pubes ive got plenty

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Convincing new recruits it's an ancient and honourable warrior tradition is probably an ancient and honourable warrior tradition though

Joseph Lister, the 1st baron Lister and surgical pioneer, is famous to this day for championing antiseptic surgery, earning him public monuments in both London and a hospital named after him in Chelsea. He also managed to kill 3 people while operating on 1 person.

They asked for fast, he gave them fast.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PMush Perfect posted:

what why would i want someone elses pubes ive got plenty

why even be an ancient warrior if you don't get strange pubes tho

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krankenstyle posted:

why even be an ancient warrior if you don't get strange pubes tho

just lol if you're pubes aren't already strange

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Joseph Lister, 1st Baron Lister (1827-1912), was the pioneer of antiseptic surgery. Robert Liston (1794-1847) was the first man to use ether anaesthetic in Europe, and was a famously fast surgeon in a time when speed was the best way to improve survival. The 300% mortality case may be apocryphal, especially as he was apparently rather abrasive, so when asked about his operations he didn’t say much and people just made up stories. He did punch Robert Knox for disrespectful treatment of a body used for dissection, and was a very successful charity surgeon so one can see why people might not have got on with him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

I still doubt that carrying pubes around is an ancient warrior tradition.

I thought they meant carrying regular hair of loved ones.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

He also managed to kill 3 people while operating on 1 person.

I know of Robert Liston killing three people in one go, how did Lister manage it?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

I know of Robert Liston killing three people in one go, how did Lister manage it?

Saddled the family with crippling medical debt, indirectly causing a murder/suicide.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The funny thing about being ahead of your time is that it usually means you're not going to be recognized prehumously.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vindolanda posted:

Joseph Lister, 1st Baron Lister (1827-1912), was the pioneer of antiseptic surgery.

And now I understand where the name of the mouthwash came from

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Phy posted:

And now I understand where the name of the mouthwash came from

Literally yes! The company which made it, IIRC, had no actual connection with him. They just figured shoving his name on the bottle would make it seem healthier and clean and poo poo and people gobbled it up

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't it also originally marketed for venereal diseases?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To continue pube talk:

There is a (now debunked) myth that if a fisherman wanted to have a good catch, he would add one of his wife's pubic hairs to the lure. Something something female pheromones something something.

This has largely been discredited, so don't use your pubes for fishing ladies, save them for ancient and noble warriors.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't it also originally marketed for venereal diseases?

Good for sanitizing floors, curing dandruff, and all your body holes, apparently.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CleverHans posted:

Good for sanitizing floors, curing dandruff, and all your body holes, apparently.

Lmao at the line about women crowding the hospitals. Stop hurting yourselves, women! You're making things inconvenient for everyone else.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Red Bones posted:

Lmao at the line about women crowding the hospitals. Stop hurting yourselves, women! You're making things inconvenient for everyone else.

Dang biddies bleaching their stank pussies why would they do a thing

https://bust.com/images/articles/36746/Incompatible_hygeine_ad.jpg

LYSOL YOUR BITS TO AVOID DIVORCE

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 23, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Public hair sounds reasonable if you're wanting a lock of hair but it's a secret affair so you can't cut the hair on your head

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Public hair sounds reasonable if you're wanting a lock of hair but it's a secret affair so you can't cut the hair on your head

plus it's great if you're nasty

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samovar posted:

I dunno, he was a real smeghead.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
complicating the "feminine hygiene" thing is that it simultaneously refers to the unnecessary and harmful practice of douching and also to attempts at home abortion

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Literally yes! The company which made it, IIRC, had no actual connection with him. They just figured shoving his name on the bottle would make it seem healthier and clean and poo poo and people gobbled it up

I’m posting between stops on the Underground so can’t check, but I think performing surgery in an antiseptic environment (Lister’s method involved carbolic acid washes) was called “Listeric surgery” sometimes early on, so the word “Lister” became synonymous with hygiene through chemicals. The burns from carbolic acid on open wounds prompted modern aseptic surgery, where the operating area, surgeons, instruments, and patient are thoroughly cleaned before the first incision.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Byzantine posted:

So if public hair gets ancient and noble warriors to conquer far off lands, what do armpit hairs get the fair damsel? A monk skilled in calligraphy?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

tribbledirigible posted:

So if public hair gets ancient and noble warriors to conquer far off lands, what do armpit hairs get the fair damsel? A monk skilled in calligraphy?

The UK

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Cutting a lock of public hair in honor of a secret affair seems counterproductive

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Phy posted:

Cutting a lock of public hair in honor of a secret affair seems counterproductive

this guy doesnt gently caress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I wonder what the first instance of pranking a rookie by sending him on a bullshit errand or making up a fake tradition to make him look stupid was like.

"Alright maggot. Why don't you make yourself useful and get some copper and elbow grease from Ea-Nasir. Now go be quick about and don't show your worthless hide around here again until you've gotten them."

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I imagine snipe hunting goes back to our earliest days as hunter-gatherers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

It's gotta be right up there with farting around your friends as a joke.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

Pretty much. And historians did this a lot. One historian wrote about how Claudius' wife would go to brothels and hold contests about how many men she could service.

A story from Byzantium that's supposedly true is that Harald Hardråde, leader of the varangaian guard, had a crush on empress Zoe and once asked for one of her pubes.

I recognized that name and thought surely it isn't the harald hardrade but I forgot just how much the vikings got around.

CainsDescendant posted:

Wonder if anyone ever got eaten by a tiger after getting sent out on a wild goose chase.

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Jul 24, 2019

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Red Bones posted:

Legit, apparently, ladies of the evening back in the old west would douche with carbolic acid so this is an improvement? I guess?

Also, per InediblePenguin's post, carbolic had the two-for-one bonus of being a reproductive toxin, in addition to straight up obliterating all living cells it contacted.

CleverHans has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Jul 24, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe Harald's Greek wasn't that good and he was just asking for a lock of regular hair and misspoke.

I have no idea what the Greek for pubes is but Ive heard they don't really differentiate between toes and fingers and use the same word for both. Perhaps the same is true of hair and pubes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I recognized that name and thought surely it isn't the harald hardrade but I forgot just how much the vikings got around.

After his brother, Olaf the Holy, were killed in battle he spent some years in exile. He first went to Rus where the king, Yaroslav the Wise, advised him to make some money. He then went to Byzantine, spent some years as a guard and then robbed the emperor blind (both metaphorically and literally) before becoming the last viking king of Norway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vikings were basically D&D adventurers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Collecting pubes from every nation of the world

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sadly we will never know if Harald managed to obtain empress Zoe's pubes, but according to one source he was arrested for defiling a noblewoman.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Any true norseman would defile any nobility on principle alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Alhazred posted:

He first went to Rus where the king, Yaroslav the Wise, advised him to make some money.

:hmmyes: Quality advice, Yaroslav living up to his epithet.