Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It's kind of like a poison rana, but Naito is inverted. It winds up landing a bit more like a Canadian Destroyer since Naito is sitting and it's a piledriver position. That poo poo is crazy and I'm surprised Ibushi and Naito haven't figured out some scarier and more dangerous variation of it yet through all of their matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had "I've got news for you, jack!" in HBK's voice running through my head all day.

send help

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Low Desert Punk posted:

https://twitter.com/mrlariato/status/948901472594550784

what would you call this move? person in the comments says tornado piledriver which like, i guess

i am going to call it a "cyclone double poison ultimate death rana"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I consulted with history's greatest PBP man and he has informed me this move is called the "WHATAMANEUVER"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Are you sure it wasn't the "TOTAL DEBACLE"?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

I consulted with history's greatest PBP man and he has informed me this move is called the "WHATAMANEUVER"

:eng101: funny enough, Kelly’s response to that move was “what a counter!” And Callis just goes “what the hell?!”

Nobody loving knew what the hell it was, I think the GDT was just :stare: and “WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT”

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Yeah that's Naito going for the Combinación de Cabrón and Okada attempting to counter it with his Air Raid Crash Neckbreaker but Naito countering that with a Poison Rana.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
'Taker, top ten skullet, y/n

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Randaconda posted:

'Taker, top ten skullet, y/n

n: it lacks body, heft

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

look at all the bad people with skullets. the undertaker. trump under the combover. hulk hogan. bozo. jesse ventura. lars ulrich.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cavauro posted:

look at all the bad people with skullets. the undertaker. trump under the combover. hulk hogan. bozo. jesse ventura. lars ulrich.

Paul Heyman, too

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I guess the better question is has anyone ever had a good skullet in wrestling?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

Probably some luchadores, since they wrestle until they're 60.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jake Roberts

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jake ain't good. never was, never will be. he's just remorseful and a sympathetic character. you can do it jake. you god drat bastard

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Benne posted:

Earthquake

Damien Demento

Kane for a little while

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are there any bad stories out there about Jimmy Hart? He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but that could just be because he's 200% carnie.
His friendship with Hulk Hogan notwithstanding I haven't really heard anything bad about him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm dumb, what is the deal with the NEVER Openweight titles in New Japan? are they just the "defend this belt anywhere" titles? I was under the impression the US Title was the one expected to be defended overseas, but idk. I really don't understand what the deal with the NEVER stuff is.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

far as I can tell NEVER and IWGP are like (kinda fictional) commissioning bodies for titles, like WBC, IBF, etc are for boxing

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NEVER was a brand that NJPW used to have where young lions and low card guys would wrestle outside talent (basically a precursor to the Lion's Gate shows). They introduced a belt for that brand, then put it on Masato Tanaka and stopped doing NEVER shows soon after.

They made up a fairly ludicrous acronym for what NEVER stands for but I can't remember it off hand.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DLC Inc posted:

I'm dumb, what is the deal with the NEVER Openweight titles in New Japan? are they just the "defend this belt anywhere" titles? I was under the impression the US Title was the one expected to be defended overseas, but idk. I really don't understand what the deal with the NEVER stuff is.

NEVER started out as its own series of events to showcase young wrestlers both in NJWP and also freelancers. It was also a very Japanese acronym: "New Blood", "Evolution", "Valiantly", "Eternal" and "Radical".

The current Lion's Gate shows are basically what they were trying to do with NEVER.

They did like 10 shows from 2010 to 2012 with the final show being a tournament to crown the first NEVER Openweight champion. The idea was to defend the title only on NEVER shows but that was the last ever show.

But the shows folding basically meant they had another title to work with on the main New Japan shows so it became the "old strong guy" title instead.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The NEVER title was originally for upcoming wrestlers, it stood for "New Blood", "Evolution", "Valiantly", "Eternal", and "Radical". The first person to win it was Masato Tanaka at 39 so uh, they never really did what they wanted with the belt. Its always just been a whatever belt.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MrBling posted:

Are there any bad stories out there about Jimmy Hart? He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but that could just be because he's 200% carnie.
His friendship with Hulk Hogan notwithstanding I haven't really heard anything bad about him.

I found him annoying on Legends House but I can't remember why.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

DLC Inc posted:

By no means am I an expert, but the NEVER Belts (which were created for a now-defunct sub-brand/division in NJPW) are “Openweight” to allow for fun match-ups across the weight classes. The Trios titles run with this idea (allowing guys like Taguchi to team with Tanahashi/Yano/whomever), while the NEVER singles belt has basically turned into a 3rd Tier singles belt that typically goes to brawler/stiff guys (Ishii, Shibata, etc.). The US title is sort of a replacement/equal 3rd tier belt, so I dunno why the NEVER belt exists, but sometimes the matches for it are fun! :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The trios title is mostly there to make the tag divisions look a bit less bad by comparison

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, Ospreay held the NEVER belt recently and Taichi talked about defending it against juniors, so they're trying to acknowledge that a bit more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that is so bizarre but then again I always thought it was neat/weird to have Junior versions of titles just so people who weren't 6 foot 5 and 250 pounds could still do cool poo poo too. I've only just been getting heavily into NJPW stuff this year i.e. watching those History of Bullet Club vids and seeking out a lot of the classic matches from years back.

Was the AJ Bullet Club era the point where NJPW started getting extremely mainstream or was that gradually happening anyway?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the never title is alternately the old guy brawler title, the title where the holder gets to name his own stips, and the openweight title that is used to start the transition from junior to heavyweight

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

that is so bizarre but then again I always thought it was neat/weird to have Junior versions of titles just so people who weren't 6 foot 5 and 250 pounds could still do cool poo poo too. I've only just been getting heavily into NJPW stuff this year i.e. watching those History of Bullet Club vids and seeking out a lot of the classic matches from years back.

Was the AJ Bullet Club era the point where NJPW started getting extremely mainstream or was that gradually happening anyway?

Yeah, it also very much coincided with the start of them doing their first bits of English commentary, and I think also the first year or so of the Axess show.

Popularity was certainly building before that, Prince Devitt Bullet Club was very popular, but I do seriously think the English option helped them a lot, even if there are definitely those who still prefer the Japanese commentary.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I like how the NEVER title is used currently, or at least seems like it will be used going forward, alternating between the designated "pissed off old guy brawler" belt and the "ascending junior star transition" belt when they have someone like a Will Ospreay or Shingo Takagi they want to push as being on the level of heavyweights while still classified as Juniors. I'd love to see Shingo take it off Ishii sometime in the fall and maybe at Wrestle Kingdom have a rematch with Will for it, maybe get his win back.

The Trios belts are a fun distraction and give some guys not being utilized elsewhere something to fight for, but when the tag division is weak the Trios titles suffer way harder it seems like. Makabe, Yano, and Taguchi are tied for most defenses and have the 2nd longest reign simply because they've only fought varying formations of Bullet Club all year. LIJ and Suzuki-gun are apparently not even interested at this point.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
my only problem with the trios title is yano dosent even bring it to the ring

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Every singles belt in NJPW that isn't the World belt is there as an excuse for their top guys who aren't currently "The Guy" to have singles matches. Seriously, they dont have singles matches as a rule unless its for a reason, and when there are no tournaments going, the belts are what they use as that reason.

I think there were only a handful of non title/Tourney singles matches all year. What is it, C block finals, Mox v Shooter, and Shingo's recent foray into the Heavyweight division?

Every time people talk about dropping titles they are perhaps unknowingly asking NJPW to have less singles matches.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 23, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rename the main belt to the G1C Heavyweight Championship and only defend it at the dome on january 4 against the winner of the international wrestling grand prix tournament. nowhere else. the new G1C governing body will be handling the restructuring

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Bring back the U-30 title

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Draxion posted:

Bring back the U-30 title
DDT Pro just introduce the O-40 title as their new parody/comedy belt that only works in DDT Pro because in the WWE it would just be regular title

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What are the best Awesome Kong matches? I remember her being awesome and I marked the gently caress out for her at DoN, but I'm having a hard time thinking of specific matches, and cagematch and profightdb both make her career look pretty dire.

Am I getting "is generally cool and beat up Bubba the Love Sponge" confused with "is an actual good wrestler" in this case?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think at least with her TNA career it was more of a vibe than individual matches. She was booked like a monster and she delivered on it and it was cool. She'd just toss around all the smaller women and then Gail Kim or Taylor Wilde would dart and dive around her looking for the best way to take her down.

I'm not super familiar with what she did outside TNA though and don't remember any highlights from her brief WWE stint.

She also kind of came along in that first generation of "SHIMMER" women before women's wrestling really had its boom so I think she probably had a lot less really strong opponents to do good work with than the current generation does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
She had a great match in SHIMMER with MsChif.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sorry to kind of clog up this thread (and especially since this question is probably not gonna go over great), but discussion in the Network thread re: Benoit got me thinking.

Is there something I'm missing with that whole case? Because it seems like, by the time of his death, Benoit was so brain-damaged from repeated concussions that he couldn't reasonably be considered in control of his actions or of sound mind. With that in mind, it seems really odd to treat him like one of the business' greatest monsters when, to me, it sounds more like he and his family are just more tally marks on Vince's body count.

e: And like, I don't even mean that in some kind of insane conspiracy-theory way, I just mean that if it weren't for WWE's horribly unsafe working practices and lack of any type of give-a-gently caress about their workers' long-term health Benoit and his family would probably still be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm inclined to agree, but the ritual nature of the killings, the time elapsed between them, etc. belies the simple conclusion that he committed his actions in a psychotic episode where he didn't understand what he was doing at all. But if we're ranking the wrestling industry's greatest monsters, I'd say Zumhofe, Smith, Moolah, and that Mexican serial killer woman are worse people who acted with more premeditated malice.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: And like, I don't even mean that in some kind of insane conspiracy-theory way, I just mean that if it weren't for WWE's horribly unsafe working practices and lack of any type of give-a-gently caress about their workers' long-term health Benoit and his family would probably still be alive.
No, see, the effects of inequality are bad, but the causes? The causes are extremely good.