Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

here is a weirdly enjoyable youtube channel

https://youtu.be/o7xrWH8MYZk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I like to watch something like River Monsters while I eat sardines and pretend I am the alligator pike or whatever abomination they are featuring that is eating everything

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i like to pretend the brisling sardines are enormous sharks and i am a giant of a man devouring them to sate my endless appetite and also i live in a castle and am very horny

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i like to pretend the brisling sardines are enormous sharks and i am a giant of a man devouring them to sate my endless appetite and also i live in a castle and am very horny

Hell, :same:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

That was a pretty weird dream I had last night but how odd, I don't remember telling anyone about it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
HEB's Hill Country Fare brand now sells 67 cent sardines here hooooly poo poo.

It says wild caught, but not where. Do I buy all of them, or none? I'm so conflicted.

E: wait they say product of Morocco. Is that good or bad?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I like Moroccan dines. If I were you I'd buy one can, eat it in your car in the parking lot, then decide if you want more. Bonus points if you eat them with a pocket knife while sitting on the hood

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zoe posted:

HEB's Hill Country Fare brand now sells 67 cent sardines here hooooly poo poo.

It says wild caught, but not where. Do I buy all of them, or none? I'm so conflicted.

E: wait they say product of Morocco. Is that good or bad?

I literally just got a tin of their hot sauce ones and they were good as hell, I'm totally gonna stock up next time I go

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I bought the KO mackeral with Lemon along with the jalapeño one from HEB a few weeks ago. The lemon one is veeeeery good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also got a can of beach cliff sardines in soybean oil with 'hot chilies', I've never had this brand but usually I'm pretty underwhelmed but I got these cheap so what the hell. Anything cool I can do with em besides just eat them normal or scramble eggs with em like I'd usually do?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

sexpig by night posted:

I also got a can of beach cliff sardines in soybean oil with 'hot chilies', I've never had this brand but usually I'm pretty underwhelmed but I got these cheap so what the hell. Anything cool I can do with em besides just eat them normal or scramble eggs with em like I'd usually do?

I’d use them as an ingredient

I had Beach Cliffs in soybean oil as my introduction to sardines and that was a bad idea. I found them to be fishy but not in a good way

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Wow what a great thread.

Been eating some 'dines on toasted pumpernickel lately. Grocery Outlet's been carrying nice 4.3oz cans of Season brand in tomato and mustard sauce for just $0.79 each, so I stocked up on that last week. Hearing 'yall talk about the KO tapatios, decided to try out my toasty 'dines with some hot sauce today. Tried both Cholula and Tapatio, great results. Thanks goons.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Still too intimidated to try these in fear I’ll not do it properly

I guess really good toasted baguette rounds with guacamole and hot sauce

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

you have permission from a king right there to do whatever you will

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Keith Atherton posted:

Still too intimidated to try these in fear I’ll not do it properly

I guess really good toasted baguette rounds with guacamole and hot sauce

keith atherton eat the fish

all you need is a fork and a sink to lean over

or if you wanna be a fancy bastard put it on some crackers like I do (with mackerel because I still don't like actual sardines :( )

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If anything at least eat one by itself & post your opinion on it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I really need to buy some more fish before the fall contracts start. I can't wait to see people whig out about my canned fish and crackers between jumps in containment.

Like I've ran into dudes on a site that will complain about the smell of some tuna. :getin:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 24, 2019

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

By some measure the saddest news story of the year so far

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

speaking of sardine sob stories i went to the grocer yesterday, the KO meds had a little sign that said

SALE
WHILE STOCK LASTS

but sign alone, the fish long gone.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol the comments on this one is full of delightful British insults

also: "humming and harring" lmao

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
are those sardines in tomato any good? I've never tried em but I usually get disappointed in stuff canned in tomato sauce

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

are those sardines in tomato any good? I've never tried em but I usually get disappointed in stuff canned in tomato sauce

typically not, no.

I'm being sardine-realist here. Tomato packed 'dines tend to be the worst and most intended for sauce based use. 'specialty flavored ones' like Mediterranean ones packed with olives, those packed with peppers, or special flavors tend to be best. IMO the smoked mackrel with special flavorings like these tend to be even better than the sardines.

The tomato packed sardines tend to be the "tuna in olive oil in cans of dubious origin" of '...the hell do I do with this" fish.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i like a nice, whole complete 'dine and i typically find the ones in tomato sauce crumble and fall apart more easily. perhaps the acidity of the tomato does it. i have no idea.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Tom Gorman posted:

i like a nice, whole complete 'dine and i typically find the ones in tomato sauce crumble and fall apart more easily. perhaps the acidity of the tomato does it. i have no idea.

Tomatoes are pretty acidic so that probably does it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tomato sardines tend to be bad, but that's because the tomato sauce is often used to to cover the texture of bad sardines. Or maybe it really is just the acidity. Buying good sardines and tomato sauce separately and then combining them for lunch is definitely a nice time, though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

also because, in my experience, the 'tomato sauce' they come packed in always seems to be like, the stuff 'Chef Boy'ar'dee' ravioli comes packed in, the sauce itself just seems to be nasty.

Like if it was real nice quality premium spaghetti stuff, like the crap you pay like $8-9 bucks a jar for (let's be honest, you've probably splurged and tried that rather than make a good one yourself, some of the good ones are pretty decent), they might be alright, maybe.

But the combination of generally crap tomato sauce and weird fish just aren't doing themselves much of a favor together. And, I'm going to go off on a real tangent here, tinned fish and even real nice tomato sauce typically just isn't what I want. It's just a weird flavor/texture combo to start with.
Now, if you're talking adding ANCHOVIES to a good tomato sauce, alright. Now we're talking. But really, that's adding a salt bomb/umami component to a pasta sauce. That is something else. That's kinda like adding capers to a sauce. It's more of a seasoning. Sardines, as they are, well, they're sorta soft-ish fish just kinda doing their own thing waiting to be eaten kinda on their own. Not really a white-fish fillet waiting to be sauced, not really a seasoning thing to be added to a sauce...it's just sorta..fish stuffed in there. Mushing them up in tomato just really isn't doing either thing any favors.

WELL THATS MY FISH AND TOMATO SAUCE STORY THANK YOU

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Just had some jalapeno KO dines in a bowl with saltines. Was delicious. Thanks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KO tomato dines are pretty decent though. I like to toss those in some pasta, monch on them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i like tomato dines. ymmv

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No I have decided

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I do not like tomato dines, but I've only been able to try it with the cheap ones.

I mentioned seeing some 67 cents generic HEB 'dines awhile ago. Well I took one can of the plain smoked ones in oil home just to sample it.

The ultimate test of 'dine goodness for me is how they taste kind of mashed up in a bowl of plain fluffy rice. So I waited till the next time I had a big pot of it ready I was using in a casserole and cracked open the can.

Looked a little scary:

(I took this picture to horrify some Discord friends.)

There were a couple of little scales in there that I wasn't sure about, and let's be clear, I'm not in the habit of going near any 'dines that cost under a dollar. But Hill Country Fare is just HEB's great value equivalent and I trust HEB. And drat, glad I did because these were delicious. Nice firm texture and good flavor. Just the right amount of smoke flavor without it being overpowering.

Also tried these at the time which were just a little more expensive:

Now, being that these were also from Morocco and looked identical in size, just a bit grosser because they were broken up a bit, I was like heh okay, these are the exact same sardines just with slightly nicer packaging.' But these wound up going to the dog, the oil was unpleasantly heavy and the fish itself tasted dry in that same weird way tuna in water does. (dog was happy however.)

Since for all I know they'll raise the price later or switch them out for something else, when I was at HEB again on Saturday I bought an entire drat dozen of them. The other flavor there was Louisiana hot sauce, which had already been picked clean as far back on the shelf as any normal human could reach, but only a few of the plain smoked ones had been touched.

It kind of blows my mind that these fish can be harvested on the other side of the world, cleaned and crammed in a can, shipped to stores and still be sold at a profit for 67 cents. Some 'dines on a bowl of rice, maybe with a little steamed broccoli on the side and that's such an awesome meal for barely a dollar in total.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 29, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just ate some dines with louisianan hot sauce over the sink straight out of the tin

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

when I eat my dines from the tin i dont need no stinkin sink - my mouth is the sink !

i have a big mouth

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i was trying REALLY hard not to get oil on my favorite shirt and tie combo

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
plain olive oil dines on toast with onion, chilli, parsley, mint and dill, plus the orange stuff is some tomato sauce/salsa stuff from a recipe someone posted a few pages back that's loving awesome

also my cat foolishly sniffing the manky left over avocado (which didn't go with the salsa *at all*)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

toiletbrush posted:

plain olive oil dines on toast with onion, chilli, parsley, mint and dill, plus the orange stuff is some tomato sauce/salsa stuff from a recipe someone posted a few pages back that's loving awesome

also my cat foolishly sniffing the manky left over avocado (which didn't go with the salsa *at all*)

Oh my God. I need that, right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zoe posted:

I do not like tomato dines, but I've only been able to try it with the cheap ones.

I mentioned seeing some 67 cents generic HEB 'dines awhile ago. Well I took one can of the plain smoked ones in oil home just to sample it.

The ultimate test of 'dine goodness for me is how they taste kind of mashed up in a bowl of plain fluffy rice. So I waited till the next time I had a big pot of it ready I was using in a casserole and cracked open the can.

Looked a little scary:

(I took this picture to horrify some Discord friends.)

There were a couple of little scales in there that I wasn't sure about, and let's be clear, I'm not in the habit of going near any 'dines that cost under a dollar. But Hill Country Fare is just HEB's great value equivalent and I trust HEB. And drat, glad I did because these were delicious. Nice firm texture and good flavor. Just the right amount of smoke flavor without it being overpowering.

Now, being that these were also from Morocco and looked identical in size, just a bit grosser because they were broken up a bit, I was like heh okay, these are the exact same sardines just with slightly nicer packaging.' But these wound up going to the dog, the oil was unpleasantly heavy and the fish itself tasted dry in that same weird way tuna in water does. (dog was happy however.)

Since for all I know they'll raise the price later or switch them out for something else, when I was at HEB again on Saturday I bought an entire drat dozen of them. The other flavor there was Louisiana hot sauce, which had already been picked clean as far back on the shelf as any normal human could reach, but only a few of the plain smoked ones had been touched.

It kind of blows my mind that these fish can be harvested on the other side of the world, cleaned and crammed in a can, shipped to stores and still be sold at a profit for 67 cents. Some 'dines on a bowl of rice, maybe with a little steamed broccoli on the side and that's such an awesome meal for barely a dollar in total.

yea I love the Hill Country Fare tobasco sardines, cheap as hell and taste like the ones I'd normally pay a twice the price for.

toiletbrush posted:

holy poo poo that looks good

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

toiletbrush posted:

This is acceptable.

Please post your knife.
(the one used to cut your radishes, the cleaver used to mark the board is not needed)

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 30, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
that's a little busy. have you tried eating them straight from the can over the sink??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Zoe posted:

I really like Season brand 'dines in water or olive oil but that sunflower oil sounds awful. Soybean oil also seems like a really bad choice as an additive for any brand too :barf: