Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will AEW survive the year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 102 47.66%
No 17 7.94%
Yes after TNA buys it 95 44.39%
Total: 214 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

And neither would Jericho, ya double dingus. He could even show up and not even wrestle.

Jericho works best as an attraction who can be slotted in and out at random and who should go weeks without being seen so he can get shock moves.

Chris James 2 posted:

New Japan tag matches are completely skippable, though credit to the thought people didn't realize that during the G1, the annual tour that makes it more obvious than most

undercard multi-mans are god's own work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I just checked and lol Chris Jericho has wrestled 9 matches in the last two years

The dude genuinely may not be able to physically handle being the main attraction of a new promotion

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Draxion posted:

We all remember Jericho's IWGP intercontinental title run right

Made WWE fans Real Mad (less so than we're seeing currently but still), beat up Naito multiple times, fought on a cruise, and tapped out EVIL. It ruled, needed less being mean to EVIL and more embarrassing Naito and much more making WWE fans mad though

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I just checked and lol Chris Jericho has wrestled 9 matches in the last two years

The dude genuinely may not be able to physically handle being the main attraction of a new promotion

The great thing about Jericho is that he can be there every week and be entertaining without having a match. Then when he has a match it can feel like a big deal.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don't make your champ wrestle every show, what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The great thing about Jericho is that he can be there every week and be entertaining without having a match. Then when he has a match it can feel like a big deal.

Yeah but a champ who literally doesn't wrestle isn't a draw

How long can AEW sell tickets with "See our champ I dunno maybe cut a promo" for months at a time

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
jericho needs some goons

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

That match with Okada felt like the opposite of a big deal.

I would entirely change my tune on Jericho as champion if he had goons, though. This is a perfect role for the Best Friends.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Have your champ roll up, cut a promo, get into a fight. They did that for like 4 months with Steve Austin chasing Rock into WMXV(and the only match on the card worth a drat btw). Its all in the presentation and context.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd rather see Jericho do promos than matches tbh

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

coconono posted:

Ishii yelling into a mic for 2 minutes and then a tiny japanese lady with ginormous breasts translates it to "Ishii is happy to be in america, many will die, few will survive, you will be entertained"

So yeah, I would like Ishii world champion, please AEW.

That is the funniest thing I have read all day. Kudos!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Draxion posted:

I would entirely change my tune on Jericho as champion if he had goons, though. This is a perfect role for the Best Friends.

Dustin and Greg as Jericho's weird henchmen would rule.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How long can AEW sell tickets with "See our champ I dunno maybe cut a promo" for months at a time

The current WWE champion is their biggest draw and wrestles like four times a year - it will be fine

Also television hasn't even started yet and we don't know that Jericho will be champion or that he will not wrestle regularly. We know nothing about how the weekly show will play out but continue to think the sky is fallin'

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

Don't make your champ wrestle every show, what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Thank you

People's "criticisms" of the product so far have blatantly been ridiculous from the get-go, it's comical

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

going "WWE did x and it was bad" or "NJPW did x and it was good" as an argument for anything is really loving dumb

You can make lots of stuff work in wrestling as long as you book it competently!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

200 dumb rear end mel clamdigger posts yep its the AEW thread

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A. There is no reason to be so insulting over a wrestling argument
B. You are the one who favorably compared Brock Lesnar's title run to Okada so glass houses
C. I have no idea what point you are trying to make other than you seem desperate to disagree

A champ who wrestles every show of a new promotion would be good and I don't see how your reference to Okada disproves that

Its the fact that the champ is wrestling on the card that matters, not that its an amazing five star classic

Oh no, not forums :decorum:

Besides that, you seem to be incapable of grasping that you can, in fact, do poo poo differently than the WWE does given that you brought up Lesnar entirely unprompted, and your opinions are dumb either way because you're literally arguing that devaluing your champion by making them just another guy or gal as opposed to the literal best wrestler in the world that you have to earn the right to even face is a good thing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Let me introduce you to the radical concept of having more than one person on the roster that can draw.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

well really it's like 50 threads across the forums that he shits in

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Do it ironically posted:

I wouldn’t put all my eggs into the Jericho basket, love alcoholic dad bod living his best life but judging by the dad bod getting increasingly bigger and bigger, he’s probably going to get a serious injury in the ring sooner than later
You're not wrong, but it'd still surprise me, because Jericho has never been out injured.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

coconono posted:

I would agree with you if it was a company with a house show circuit but if the TV show is the only wrestling they do all week I feel like its not a bad idea

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Oh no, not forums :decorum:

Besides that, you seem to be incapable of grasping that you can, in fact, do poo poo differently than the WWE does given that you brought up Lesnar entirely unprompted, and your opinions are dumb either way because you're literally arguing that devaluing your champion by making them just another guy or gal as opposed to the literal best wrestler in the world that you have to earn the right to even face is a good thing.

ok cool weird angry dude best of luck with that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fighting champions are cool, but should strictly be limited to babyfaces (and not even *every* babyface champion). Heel champs absolutely should not be fighting every show.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

karmicknight posted:

I've wanted this basically ever since hearing Dustin tell a story about how one time he and Jericho sung Buddy Holly at a karaoke place and so he feels like they have a very deep connection.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would agree with you if it was a company with a house show circuit but if the TV show is the only wrestling they do all week I feel like its not a bad idea

WWE house shows are drawing like high school gym levels of attendance right now but you know that already with your head in the sand

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Awww ...

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/luke-perrys-son-honored-late-father-final-role/story?id=64506810&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

What if in addition to the Best Friends being Jericho’s goons, what if Jericho also came to possess a whistle that allowed him to control Luchasaurus?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

WWE house shows are drawing like high school gym levels of attendance right now but you know that already

I am not sure what that has to do with what I said

I said if you do house shows, its dumb to make your champ wrestle all the time, but if you don't, your champ will stay healthy doing one match a week so why not.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Gonna give Mel Mudkiper The Judas Effect

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure what that has to do with what I said

I said if you do house shows, its dumb to make your champ wrestle all the time, but if you don't, your champ will stay healthy doing one match a week so why not.

You don't want your champ wrestling all the time regardless is the point

poo poo isn't special if you get it all the time and it doesn't matter if there's a house show circuit, weekly tv, podcasts, streaming shows, ham radio shows on a network or a fuckin' telegram being sent about it constantly

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

What if in addition to the Best Friends being Jericho’s goons, what if Jericho also came to possess a whistle dagger/flute that allowed him to control Luchasaurus?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You don't want your champ wrestling all the time regardless is the point

what does that have to do with WWE having low house show attendance

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:cry:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

karmicknight posted:

jericho declares himself "the bestest friend"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what does that have to do with WWE having low house show attendance

Ah, I see - you just want to argue in circles then

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Ah, I see - you just want to argue in circles then

No I mean I genuinely didn't get what your point had to do with what I said

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I guess I should rephrase:

don't let your champ work meaningless matches. When the champ hits the ring, its like God herself is passing out tablets of wisdom. The entire planet stops and watches. If you cannot maintain that aura as a champ you are doing it wrong. Everyone that put you in that spot should feel badly because they've failed. And there are no failures in wrestling.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No I mean I genuinely didn't get what your point had to do with what I said

You're made of spare parts, aren't ya bud

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

coconono posted:

I guess I should rephrase:

don't let your champ work meaningless matches. When the champ hits the ring, its like God herself is passing out tablets of wisdom. The entire planet stops and watches. If you cannot maintain that aura as a champ you are doing it wrong. Everyone that put you in that spot should feel badly because they've failed. And there are no failures in wrestling.

I can see the mentality to that but I am just not sure if its a good look for a brand new promotion.

The champ doesn't have to have big meaningful title matches every week, but if you're trying to build a reputation for a brand new title I feel like giving it to a fighting champ gives it some credibility

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Jericho looked awful and slow at fftf and the Judas Effect is trash. If they're going to put the title on him, which they will, I would rather they do it sooner that later before he totally breaks down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the champ really should be kylie rae i think everyone here can agree on that