Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Dropbear posted:

Why would they do that? Why even give the option of choosing your advancement if there's a "meant to do this"-build?

FWIW this isn't specific to Octavia - any Wizard/Sorc will use their cantrips as their default attack even when holding ranged weapons because acid spray targets touch AC which is (much) easier to hit than real AC (especially considering nerds have bad BaB progression).

There's a way to force Octavia to use her bow as autoattack though : put the "Charge" ability on her bar. It'll look dithered out since she can't charge without a melee weapon but you can still right-click it to set it to autocast, which overrides the "cast cantrip by default" AI and lets her do the shooty thing by default instead. Don't ask me why it works. It just does :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

grah posted:

You actually can't leave the tomb even if you wanted to go back, the door locks behind you as soon as you open your first door inside.

Yeah, I meant reloading a save. Even if you have one just outside the tomb, the trek to find a merchant is too goddamn long

Phlegmish posted:

I will search for the supplies.

I know I should have been more prepared, but this tomb is hard, right? I guess on the positive side, I was able to clear most of it on one rest.

Quite a few have given up here. Probably the last significant roadblock till the endgame.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 23, 2019

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I did it in one go on hard, though you don't really need much in the way of resources when you're a crit fishing Scion cowering behind Valerie

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Vordekai's Tomb is the last really good part of the game, I think. After that it's all varying degrees of unfinished or underwhelming, though it doesnt hit a nadir until the House

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I put it on Story difficulty to get past the Soul Eaters, then I ran into some zombies who had supplies on them. I'm going to rest, put it back on Normal, and try to go from there. Not tonight though, first I need a break and some real-life rest.

Death Ward will help with all this draining bullshit? Both stats and levels?

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

They released a patch... Supposedly it fixes the mercs as advisors bug, but folks in the comments are stating otherwise.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I put it on Story difficulty to get past the Soul Eaters, then I ran into some zombies who had supplies on them. I'm going to rest, put it back on Normal, and try to go from there. Not tonight though, first I need a break and some real-life rest.

Death Ward completely unambiguously blocks any sort of level drain I'm aware of, so it'll definitely help with that. For stat damage/drain it's going to really depend on the source, but the likely answer is no. For stuff like Shadows/Wraiths it can be reasonably argued that Death Ward should protect against their stat damage/drain on attacks, but as written it does not.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Kobal2 posted:

FWIW this isn't specific to Octavia - any Wizard/Sorc will use their cantrips as their default attack even when holding ranged weapons because acid spray targets touch AC which is (much) easier to hit than real AC (especially considering nerds have bad BaB progression).

There's a way to force Octavia to use her bow as autoattack though : put the "Charge" ability on her bar. It'll look dithered out since she can't charge without a melee weapon but you can still right-click it to set it to autocast, which overrides the "cast cantrip by default" AI and lets her do the shooty thing by default instead. Don't ask me why it works. It just does :).

If you build Octavia as a melee rogue (she's not terrible at it except for the poo poo CON and if your main is a wizard with less lovely opposition schools it's not entirely unreasonable, though definitely suboptimal) you can set her auto AI to Coup de Grace instead so she doesn't randomly charge every time she can.

Lord Koth posted:

Death Ward completely unambiguously blocks any sort of level drain I'm aware of, so it'll definitely help with that. For stat damage/drain it's going to really depend on the source, but the likely answer is no. For stuff like Shadows/Wraiths it can be reasonably argued that Death Ward should protect against their stat damage/drain on attacks, but as written it does not.

Death Ward when undead are about and Delay Poison Communal /all the time/ are your friends. Late game either Freedom of Movement on everyone all the time or every single character takes Blind Fight. These things will save you a ton of aggravation.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Death ward helps against specters, Astra/Thanatodaemons and Enervation/Energy Drain, but not against Soul Eaters and poo poo like Gaze attacks/abilities.
Soul Eaters are a unique case in how the do damage/drain on your wisdom, so just deal with them with extra caution.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think Jaethal is immune to Soul Eaters because she's immune to pretty much everything bad. Honestly making Jaethal my tank was such a good idea. There's not alot in the game that you can't overcome by just walking a Jaethal with some levels of TSS up to it and summoning a bunch of skeletons as backup. She laughs at everything except direct damage.

Even if it doesn't go well she's unkillable so as long as you buy cause wounds scrolls/potions its fine. Or just prepare your Cleric with those spells and switch them to normal healing when you need to.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 24, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I ended up putting the game on Story mode for the rest of the dungeon. It feels lovely, but I don't want to lose hours and hours of progress. It all kind of took the wind out of my sails, I don't feel as motivated anymore.

I solemnly swear that during my next playthrough I will wipe the floor with Vordekai's Tomb, fair and square. If I bring a ton of supplies and Death Wards, I should be able to win.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I ended up putting the game on Story mode for the rest of the dungeon. It feels lovely, but I don't want to lose hours and hours of progress. It all kind of took the wind out of my sails, I don't feel as motivated anymore.

I solemnly swear that during my next playthrough I will wipe the floor with Vordekai's Tomb, fair and square. If I bring a ton of supplies and Death Wards, I should be able to win.

That's the spirit. You will ace the optional Daemon Group fight too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does Metamagic - Heighten mean I can fill my entire magus spellbook with Shocking Grasp to hit people with instead of fancy-pants nonsense?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Does Metamagic - Heighten mean I can fill my entire magus spellbook with Shocking Grasp to hit people with instead of fancy-pants nonsense?

Yes. Using metamagic to make a bunch of copies of shocking grasp is basically the magus's whole reason for being

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

sassassin posted:

I mean, a lot of those higher level spells very much have their useful purposes, but if you really just want to hit things with touch spells why fill the upper slots with Shocking Grasp when you could fill them with Vampiric Touch instead? Unless you're fighting a bunch of nonliving things, it's higher damage, a better damage type, and has a positive effect for you as well.

But yes, Heighten allows you to fill higher level slots with lower level spells. Technically you should be able to regardless (it just still counts as the base level spell, as opposed to Heighten actually boosting the level), but I don't think Kingmaker lets you do that.

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. Using metamagic to make a bunch of copies of shocking grasp is basically the magus's whole reason for being

Most of the tools to make Shocking Grasp the go-to damage spell for Maguses aren't actually in the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I used heighten to give Octavia a bunch of Sirocco casts because the final boss is bullshit

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Got through the Pitax stuff yesterday, now just waiting around I guess for the next main quest to trigger, so doing a lot of Kingdom management which was fun in small doses but starting to get tedious. If I play through again think I will look into the more automated version of it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, a lot of those higher level spells very much have their useful purposes, but if you really just want to hit things with touch spells why fill the upper slots with Shocking Grasp when you could fill them with Vampiric Touch instead? Unless you're fighting a bunch of nonliving things, it's higher damage, a better damage type, and has a positive effect for you as well.

Necromancy is an abomination.

I really like how Magus strikes a balance between preparation and spontaneous casting with spell recall. Put 100 hours into the game now and still figuring out basic things like the metamagic feats and what keen does.

Outflank is a ludicrous trait. The accuracy bonus is great on its own. Then someone crits and a primal hydra explodes.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Made a mod for custom local map markers: https://github.com/v1ld/pfk-custom-map-markers/releases/download/v1.0.0/CustomMapMarkers.-.1.0.0.zip

Use Shift + Left click on the map screen to create new markers. They'll show up with the POI flag icon. The mod menu lets you change their name and icon type, as well temporarily hide or permanently delete them:

Here's how those 4 show up on the map:

No save dependencies, mod can be uninstalled safely. The mod's markers are saved to a custom file next to where your screenshots are saved, they don't touch your save files at all. They're saved when you change areas or when the game makes a new save.

I haven't looked at the global map yet, local map markers are what I've wanted since almost day 1.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 26, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How do I get rid of the spider plague?

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Assign an advisor, go to the bald hilltop, kill a fey, carry on.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

sassassin posted:

Yes but if it's an eldritch scion (or any spontaneous caster) then casting a metamagic spell will take a full round action. ES is the wrong archetype for this.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Mordecai posted:

Assign an advisor, go to the bald hilltop, kill a fey, carry on.

Huh. I killed that lady and it's still going. Guess I'll check my advisor settings.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Version 1.0.0 of the Custom Map Markers mod is now on the Nexus: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/131

If you downloaded that 0.9.0 version from last night, upgrade to 1.0.0. It has a minor but necessary bug fix.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm in Old Sycamore and getting combat messages that Harrim is trying to grapple a trap and spiders are failing their reflex saves. I'm not in combat and he's even not in my party.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

sassassin posted:

I'm in Old Sycamore and getting combat messages that Harrim is trying to grapple a trap and spiders are failing their reflex saves. I'm not in combat and he's even not in my party.

This is normal. Harrim is trying to escape kobold jail.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

grah posted:

This is normal. Harrim is trying to escape kobold jail.

I rescued him ages ago. Gone back to clear out bits I missed.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

sassassin posted:

I rescued him ages ago. Gone back to clear out bits I missed.

If you didn't have him join your party he'll keep wandering around there fighting stuff. You can find him and talk him and still pick him up if you want.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

grah posted:

If you didn't have him join your party he'll keep wandering around there fighting stuff. You can find him and talk him and still pick him up if you want.

I did that. He and Jaethal were at Oleg's last time I saw them, waiting for the end of the chapter.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm developing a very masochistic relationship with this game. It's the most Baldurs Gate game I've played since 2 and is a lot of fun that way. But the amount of boring loving grinding bullshit is really unbelievable.

Every goddamn enemy drains your stats or levels or permanently blinds you or whatever.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Man, I know D&D games often suffer from inverted difficulty curves, but in this it seems pretty extreme. In the beginning the game bordered on unfair, with encounters killing you instantly if you wander into the wrong (unsignaled) place or just get an unlucky roll. Now that I'm in the Varnhold parts, it's so easy I don't have to bother using most of my abilities, things mostly do nothing to me. (I'm using the turn based mod though, not sure how much that affects this)

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm developing a very masochistic relationship with this game. It's the most Baldurs Gate game I've played since 2 and is a lot of fun that way. But the amount of boring loving grinding bullshit is really unbelievable.

Every goddamn enemy drains your stats or levels or permanently blinds you or whatever.

Part of it is this; in the beginning your options for dealing with the annoying nonsense is pretty limited, but once you get communal delay poison & stuff to effortlessly cure all that crap it becomes a non-issue. I'm not sure what all the constant stat drains & poisons are supposed to bring to the game, though, besides being "authentic", it was just frustrating & now it doesn't matter. The rest of it is probably some character builds just scaling waaay better than the enemies do, my Octavia does something like 75-100 ranged damage on decent rolls per round.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 26, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

terrorist ambulance posted:

Spoken like someone who's forgotten the vampire dungeon(s). And the shade dungeons. And the Illithid dungeons. And the goddamn beholder dungeons that could seriously go gently caress themselves with a rake unless you had the *one* item that made them tolerable (and then they were just a huge, long waste of time) ;)
Don't get me wrong, I love BG2 to bits... but it was far from perfect or free from grindy stuff. BG1 was even worse about it at times - remember how fun that supertrapped ice maze was, with the 1-inch wide corridors seemingly designed to destroy any semblance of pathfinding ? Good times...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Amiri's huge sword got broken during the fight with Armag. Which weapon would you recommend for her?

e: uhh never mind I can't unequip it, maybe I can upgrade it during her companion quest

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 26, 2019

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

Spoken like someone who's forgotten the vampire dungeon(s). And the shade dungeons. And the Illithid dungeons. And the goddamn beholder dungeons that could seriously go gently caress themselves with a rake unless you had the *one* item that made them tolerable (and then they were just a huge, long waste of time) ;)
Don't get me wrong, I love BG2 to bits... but it was far from perfect or free from grindy stuff. BG1 was even worse about it at times - remember how fun that supertrapped ice maze was, with the 1-inch wide corridors seemingly designed to destroy any semblance of pathfinding ? Good times...

The illithid dungeon was so miserable. I made an unkillable greatsword wielding Weapon Master fighter but I tanked his int as low as it would go. I had to do that dungeon with just companions with my all-star sitting at the beginning of the map, because the instant one of the mind flayers would see me, I'd instantly go to 0 int and die.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Amiri's huge sword got broken during the fight with Armag. Which weapon would you recommend for her?

e: uhh never mind I can't unequip it, maybe I can upgrade it during her companion quest

I have her running around with 4 great weapons like a goddamn swiss army knife. It's not an issue with her strength. Other than her sword I have:

- +4 anti-undead earthbreaker I found outside Vordakai's tomb
- +2 flaming bardiche for reach cleaving
- +1 anti-'longshanks' spear for an extra +2 & 2d6 against any humanoid bigger than a dwarf.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

deathbagel posted:

The illithid dungeon was so miserable. I made an unkillable greatsword wielding Weapon Master fighter but I tanked his int as low as it would go. I had to do that dungeon with just companions with my all-star sitting at the beginning of the map, because the instant one of the mind flayers would see me, I'd instantly go to 0 int and die.

Powergaming so hard you owned yourself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's been long enough that I'm willing to give this game another shot.

How did Kinectist and Slayer turn out? Either worth making as a main character?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nephthys posted:

I have her running around with 4 great weapons like a goddamn swiss army knife. It's not an issue with her strength. Other than her sword I have:

- +4 anti-undead earthbreaker I found outside Vordakai's tomb
- +2 flaming bardiche for reach cleaving
- +1 anti-'longshanks' spear for an extra +2 & 2d6 against any humanoid bigger than a dwarf.

Similarly, I have her with a Flaming Earthbreaker and a Cold Iron Earthbreaker for Fey-smashing.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Blockhouse posted:

It's been long enough that I'm willing to give this game another shot.

How did Kinectist and Slayer turn out? Either worth making as a main character?

Kineticist probably wants the turn based mod so you can use gather power and make the most of the turn by turn power granularity. Slayer is a sneak attacker with a bow so it’s fine.

Honestly the difficulty determines how viable things are, if you crank it up to insane you need more work on the optimizing side, if you drop it down the silliest things are going to be fine. Figure out what you want to do, what you will find fun, and then set the difficulty to match your enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Kineticist is so powerful it completely breaks the game. It makes 5 members of my 6 member endless dungeon party into skill bots who's main job is staying out of the way of the kineticist aoes.