Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They've changed tons from the comic bit I really like it so far and hope they get to finish it and don't gently caress it up

Rio the tick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tino posted:

Homelander > Thanos jizz all over lesser supervillains

Didn't read the comics but I loved his constant poo poo eating grin and his artificial ken doll look.

Perfect casting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'd only ever seen Starr before when an ex made me watch Banshee, and all he was really given to do in that is play a stoic badass who spent time either brooding or loving/fighting the newest arrival to town depending on their pants plumbing.

I would not have guessed based on that he could vanish into a role with this much texture.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Antony Starr is a masterclass in twitchy face acting.

A lot of people give the show credit for toning down the comic's edgelord bullshit, but I think the number one thing they got right was in handling Butcher. The main thing holding the comic back was that Ennis was obviously way too in love with Billy Butcher and his toxic masculine bullshit monologues; even when he was putting him in the wrong, you could tell that Ennis secretly loved it. The show does a great job simultaneously toning Butcher way down and showing just how badly he's loving his own self up, and what a place of weakness it comes from.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The fact that he's an unreliable narrator in his own origin story really made for a Hell of a cliffhanger.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

A lot of people give the show credit for toning down the comic's edgelord bullshit, but I think the number one thing they got right was in handling Butcher. The main thing holding the comic back was that Ennis was obviously way too in love with Billy Butcher and his toxic masculine bullshit monologues; even when he was putting him in the wrong, you could tell that Ennis secretly loved it. The show does a great job simultaneously toning Butcher way down and showing just how badly he's loving his own self up, and what a place of weakness it comes from.

Yeah Butcher is pretty much a unlikable trainwreck of character especially in terms of failed relationships.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

He thinks they’re voodoo zombies so he can protect his family with a circle of protection made of salt. It fails in a fashion that makes this entire show look tame.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
We're also not considering the possibility that Becca's still dead and 'she' was just Doppelganger doing Homelander's bidding. It'd stand to reason that there might be Supes with psychic abilities, so the idyllic scene might be all in Billy's head, and the kid might not be real, either.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe the TV series is just a secret ad for Midwest life?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Boinks posted:

I'd love to see the people in here who complain about Ennis try to read Crossed.

I read it on your dare and stopped at issue 2 because bullets in flight reach 100-300 degrees celcius and bacteria and viruses all die off around 75. Gross out edgelord poo poo is no excuse to ignore basic physics and biology.

:colbert:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We're also not considering the possibility that Becca's still dead and 'she' was just Doppelganger doing Homelander's bidding. It'd stand to reason that there might be Supes with psychic abilities, so the idyllic scene might be all in Billy's head, and the kid might not be real, either.

I don't know, that would be a pretty massive copout to the cliffhanger

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I do think it's strange that no one has questioned that all the supes started appearing a few decades ago and only in America and they all work for Vought. What an amazing coincidence. God works in mysterious ways :v:

American Exceptionalism, you wanna come over here and argue about it with the flying eye-lasering invulnerable man? Yeah, I didn't think so :smugbert:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's all possible but judging from that interview with Kripke and how he ran Supernatural, I really doubt it. He likes to make season finales simultaneous jumpoff points for the next season and that rarely comes with lovely fakeout escape hatches like clones/illusions/etc.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Crossed is one of the lamest comic book series I have ever comr across and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you get paid to read it. it's maximum Garth Ennis at his absolute worst

This. It's ur-edgelord horseshit with no redeeming value.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Season two is going to have Deep get progressively more and more sexually harassed in increasingly awkward ways I bet.

That Dolphin had powerful friends.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Season two is going to have Deep get progressively more and more sexually harassed in increasingly awkward ways I bet.

That Dolphin had powerful friends.

I really enjoyed that there's no arc to that dude's story, just a continual downward slide.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I went to re-reading the series and urk, did not age well. It's not quite watching-Boondock-Saints-a-year-later-and-having-no-idea-what-the-gently caress-I-enjoyed-about-it-the-first-time, but it's on that street.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

On ep 4 right now and I have 2 thoughts. The first is that this is absolutely fantastic. The second is that the number of people who just straight up explode is awesome and I bust out laughing every time.

edit: THE loving SPICE GIRLS SPEECH IM DEAD HOLY poo poo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 1, 2019

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Please stop talking about Crossed, thx.

This show has taken a lot of great lessons from the Preacher adaptation. Both successes and failures and I’m impressed. You don’t need the plot to be exactly the same to get the core of what makes it great. You can also be extremely raunchy while toning poo poo way down. loving rad show, here’s to 4-6 great seasons.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My extended family all hail from Akron originally so that line really hit home for me.

Akron is truly a shithole.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, that was one main thing that turned me off of the comic. Butcher is cast in the role of "amoral bastard, but you can't help but kinda want to like him", except the writing in the comic usually didn't manage to deliver on the latter half, so you ended up with "amoral unlikable bastard that is constantly being wanked by the writing". Show Butcher is less over the top, and just as importantly Urban is so loving charming that you actually do kinda want to like him. That loving Spice Girls monologue :allears:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

we've already seen a shapeshifting supe

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'd keep watching a few eps just for Starr's performance but I'd be halfway out the door if they pulled some fakeout evil clone android duplicate dream sequence poo poo on us with that finale. I get that they've established the possibility in the world with superhero sci fi fantasy stuff buyin. But storytelling wise, you can't set up profound narrative stakes for the audience and then tell them "whoops looks like you should have cared less because we were lying, you idiot. You absolute rube."

That stuff may work in actual comics, but if you're trying to do comic-inspired prestige TV you burn through goodwill real fast with that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The show is dead to me if it uses Doppelganger for a stupid twist like that. Like, instantly burnt goodwill.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I get the feeling they're setting is up so Butcher slowly turns into more of a monster instead of the comic where he was always a psycho and just needed an excuse to hurt people.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Started reading the thread after finishing the show, and stopped when people were putting both book stuff concerning possible s2 as well as actual show stuff. :yikes: For people that have not read the source material, it was like a minefield reminiscent of the GoT threads.

In any event, loved the series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

I get the feeling they're setting is up so Butcher slowly turns into more of a monster instead of the comic where he was always a psycho and just needed an excuse to hurt people.

Butcher has already killed a baby for literally no reason whatsoever. I'd be interested to hear when someone becomes a monster in your opinion.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

karl urban is doing the perfect english accent for this show.

if he sounded any different the show would be lesser for it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jedit posted:

Butcher has already killed a baby for literally no reason whatsoever. I'd be interested to hear when someone becomes a monster in your opinion.

He was more trying to kill himself to avoid being tortured, maybe.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I took Butcher's action in the finale as flipping the table to deny Homelander the pleasure of raking in all the chips when Butcher realized his Ace in the hole was really a duece. The baby being there wasn't anything he could realistically fix at that point under the laser glare of a god.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

THE loving SPICE GIRLS SPEECH IM DEAD HOLY poo poo

this scene and how it rolls into the slapstick bit with the dolphin right after, it seriously reminded me of mel brooks. the writers either really get comedy or they're bright enough to steal from great sources and make it fresh.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was Stillwell's baby the same baby as the eye laser baby from before? I was half expecting to see the baby emerge from the rubble in a post credits scene.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

No as far as we know it's just a normal baby, a different baby from both the eye laser baby they discover in the facility and Homelander's baby with Becca.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

edit: THE loving SPICE GIRLS SPEECH IM DEAD HOLY poo poo

Yeah this was my favorite part of the show.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Crimpolioni posted:

He was more trying to kill himself to avoid being tortured, maybe.

To be fair to Butcher, which is not something I think I need to be, both the baby and the nanny were already as good as dead as soon as Homelander opened up with the eye-lasers. It's like the plane incident: Homelander has zero regard for non-supe life and leaving them alive and unexploded would have been entirely off-brand. "Stillwell, baby, and nanny die in terrorist bombing" is something that can be sold to the news; Stillwell, and only Stillwell, burned to death inside her home by mysterious entity with eye-lasers isn't.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Was Stillwell's baby the same baby as the eye laser baby from before? I was half expecting to see the baby emerge from the rubble in a post credits scene.

Nah, Stillwell knows it sucks to be a superhero and their lives are all kinds of hosed up.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Watching it again so the wife can see it and man, I gotta give it to Elizabeth Shue. She sells the poo poo out of "walk with pet lion on leash, do not show any fear, whatever you do don't show him any fear" for the season.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Everything that happens to Deep in episode 7 is hilarious but so disturbing. The Gills scene was so uncomfortable and just kept going.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Everything that happens to Deep in episode 7 is hilarious but so disturbing. The Gills scene was so uncomfortable and just kept going.

The whole sub-plot of him bragging that he was the second in command with the Seven then getting exiled to Midwest for his various PR fiascos was pretty hilarious.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
His sad little smoothie with way too much alcohol in it that "smells like a comeback"

Had to remind myself of his first episode scene to avoid feeling too bad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Just finished all of the first season. Easily the best show I've seen since Breaking Bad. I've never liked Marvel movies because they were so over the top with bullshit, so I think this really hits the perfect super hero niche for me. I'm actually excited to see how the story lines for all the characters develop in the next season, not just the main 1 or 2, but pretty much all the characters, which is a rarity. Generally you'll have characters that are in the show, but you don't particularly care about. All the characters are interesting and you could easily develop the show around them, which is unique for many shows.

........or maybe I'm just high off of finishing the season. Either way good poo poo.