Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

No Wave posted:

But messing around with the watchtower jump is better gameplay than the DoH fight.

The DoH fight is really fun, though it is a lot easier than the other end game boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The easiest endgame boss fight imo is Sword Saint, who actually gets hosed up by constant agrression and good parrying and can go down pretty quickly from it. Owldad and DoH are both such ridiculous walls of HP with unshakable posture bars all you can do is wail on them forever to slowly carve down their life bars, which don't play terribly well to the game's premise as an anime swordfight sim.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DoH is a dark souls boss, it's reasonably easy to avoid all his short range attacks and deplete his health bar. Because he has massive posture it's not even too much slower than deflecting everything

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

multijoe posted:

The easiest endgame boss fight imo is Sword Saint, who actually gets hosed up by constant agrression and good parrying and can go down pretty quickly from it. Owldad and DoH are both such ridiculous walls of HP with unshakable posture bars all you can do is wail on them forever to slowly carve down their life bars, which don't play terribly well to the game's premise as an anime swordfight sim.
I like to think that all the bosses that have things I don't like like small arenas, crud that traps you on the edges, ridiculous posture bars, huge resistance to aggression, obstacles that make your lock on dot disappear, poison mechanics, and summons are there to make the Isshin fight feel even better because it only has the fun things in the game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 3, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My DOH victories are typically shorter than my Sword Saint or Owldad victories, although admittedly I don't think I've tried using many damage buff items on them. He's really not too much of a slog, thanks to all those attack windows you have against him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah he has a fair amount of health but you can hit him pretty much constantly.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh goddamnit, I knew the moment you get stabbed in the back in the memory that the big gently caress off sword was Owl's
And sure enough, there he is, demanding you give up the Dragon Heritage.
I'm guessing this is the first fight where contact medicine will be useful. That jerk and his smoke.

Also super glad I went back and killed that purple jerk on the pagoda a bunch out of petty revenge once I got his moves down, turned out to be useful for this part of the game!

In other news, I defeated two of the four headless I know about (the one in the Outskirts and the one in the pond behind the palace) and it's really neat they turned out to be the heroes from the candy. Went back to Senpou to see if maybe those statues lost their heads instead! (I'm assuming those are the heroes anyway) but no change, though the crickets in there don't seem to care about me anymore. Don't know if that's a bug :v:, because I have the stone, or if they're just not jerks like the crickets in the dungeon.
Holding off on the other two as I'm low on confetti.

Now to the thing in the ape cave. :skeltal:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

DoH felt the most like a Souls fight to me, along with the Corrupted Monk. The really parry-intensive fights kicked the poo poo out of me until I realized how big the timing windows were. Treating it like the parry system from Souls at first had me thinking this game was like 100x harder than it is (not that it's still not hard as poo poo, I think I'd still put it above any of the other From games honestly, though a big part of that comes from not being able to just summon in some twinked out rando to demolish bosses).

I'm on the last boss now and it feels much harder to me than any of the Souls ones. Those always kinda felt like victory laps, usually very cool, impressive fights that were kind of a mix of everything but weren't particularly scary. This one hits really, really hard and has some super hard-to-follow moves and it honestly doesn't really feel that much like any of the other bosses.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I actually really enjoy the corrupted monk fight from a parry gameplay perspective.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Corrupted monk you maybe could play like a souls game but you can just go toe to toe with her. Really nice fight outside of the silly phantom phase.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Phantom phase is skippable, just hop up to the tree branch as the first phase ends and you can plunging deathblow her as soon as she appears for the second phase. I don’t think I have ever even tried to fight that phase normally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sure the phantoms immediately despawn if you go to the highest branch (it's really irritating until you learn that). I'm not deathblowing one of my favorite bosses tho.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
mechanics question:
-what do perfect deflections do to your and the enemie's posture bar?
-is there such a thing as a not-perfect deflection? Is that just a block? What does that do to your/their posture bars?

I should probably read a mechanics guide. I think I know these things but i'm not sure I do.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

redreader posted:

mechanics question:
-what do perfect deflections do to your and the enemie's posture bar?
-is there such a thing as a not-perfect deflection? Is that just a block? What does that do to your/their posture bars?

I should probably read a mechanics guide. I think I know these things but i'm not sure I do.

Perfect timing causes a deflection, making your enemy's posture go up and not affecting yours. Otherwise you just block, which increases your posture and doesn't do anything to the enemy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Deflects against some enemies will damage your posture bar, but they will never actually cause a posture break. So you can continue deflecting indefinitely in spite of having full posture (although as soon as you accidentally block an attack instead you'll get stunned).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Corrupted monk you maybe could play like a souls game but you can just go toe to toe with her.
same with DoH, and it's a really fun fight imo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Deflects against some enemies will damage your posture bar, but they will never actually cause a posture break. So you can continue deflecting indefinitely in spite of having a full posture meter (although as soon as you accidentally block an attack instead you'll get stunned).

yeah, this is an incredibly important thing about Sekiro - as long as you're deflecting, your posture can never break. This means that you can go head to head against everything in the game with zero upgrades and it'll be fine as long as you never mess up a deflect, which is one of the things that makes this game so awesome!

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 3, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

what doh attacks are worth deflecting aside from the stomp? maybe i'll try him if i install that boss rush mod some day.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 3, 2019

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Now I'm gonna have to fight the Monk with parries in NG+, I just saw the big sweeping attacks with a long windup and a generous window to punish whiffs and instinct kicked in.

It seems like my experience with bosses has been pretty different than most peoples' - I died more times to the dude on the horse than I did to Lady Butterfly, and Guardian Ape didn't give me much trouble at all. Outside of this run-up to the endgame, I think I died the most times to Genichiro and the Ashina Seven-Spears dude in the Reservoir area.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

No Wave posted:

what doh attacks are worth deflecting aside from the stomp? maybe i'll try him if i install that boss rush mod some day.

Anything that doesn't use fire. People say his close-ranged flame combo is good to parry too, but honestly, I always found that just popping your umbrella and riding it out is the cheapest, safest, and generally best option.

Here's my NG+2 kill of the big guy. Did it in 6:30, so not exactly an absurd marathon of a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzivzPiD_o0

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

the Ashina Seven-Spears dude in the Reservoir area.
This one is not unusual!!! For sure the most op dude you meet in an early area, and surrounded by such weak trash mobs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Now I'm gonna have to fight the Monk with parries in NG+, I just saw the big sweeping attacks with a long windup and a generous window to punish whiffs and instinct kicked in.
parrying her extended melee combo is what convinced me I wanted to do my no upgrades no heals run

it's so satisfying :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQONxJTomm8&t=250s
(4:10)

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

No Wave posted:

This one is not unusual!!! For sure the most op dude you meet in an early area, and surrounded by such weak trash mobs.

Haha ok good, I rarely see anyone mention him and I was frankly embarrassed by how many times that dude kicked my rear end. On the plus side he definitely did his job of teaching me how to time mikiri counters.

Your Computer posted:

parrying her extended melee combo is what convinced me I wanted to do my no upgrades no heals run

it's so satisfying :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQONxJTomm8&t=250s
(4:10)

drat okay that does look fun as hell. Were you able to complete the entire game that way? That's insane if so.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drat okay that does look fun as hell. Were you able to complete the entire game that way? That's insane if so.
I got all the way to the last boss, but at that points the fights were so long l threw in the towel :shobon: The hardest fight was definitely the second rooftop fight, which took a whopping 8 minutes of parrying and by the end my hands were cramping bad. So satisfying though!

I've got a playlist of all the fights I did (spoilers, obviously) if you're interested. My arbitrarily made-up rules were no vit/atk upgrades, no healing, no prosthetics, no consumables and no skills other than Mikiri Counter, and I also tried to avoid resurrection (although I ended up using it in two of the fights)

O'Rin is one of my favorites, probably because the fight was practically made for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_eevMkfYXg

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I started my fresh No Charm, Demon Bell run and I'm rusty as hell. Even died to armored knight trying to pick up his parry timing (He has a unique line if you lose, talking about getting rejuvenating water for his son)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Shinobi owl sucks. I only tried him about 4 or 5 times so far but I'm getting worse with each try.

SpeakingSalmon
Oct 21, 2010

wyoming posted:

Oh goddamnit, I knew the moment you get stabbed in the back in the memory that the big gently caress off sword was Owl's
And sure enough, there he is, demanding you give up the Dragon Heritage.
I'm guessing this is the first fight where contact medicine will be useful. That jerk and his smoke.

Also super glad I went back and killed that purple jerk on the pagoda a bunch out of petty revenge once I got his moves down, turned out to be useful for this part of the game!

In other news, I defeated two of the four headless I know about (the one in the Outskirts and the one in the pond behind the palace) and it's really neat they turned out to be the heroes from the candy. Went back to Senpou to see if maybe those statues lost their heads instead! (I'm assuming those are the heroes anyway) but no change, though the crickets in there don't seem to care about me anymore. Don't know if that's a bug :v:, because I have the stone, or if they're just not jerks like the crickets in the dungeon.
Holding off on the other two as I'm low on confetti.

Now to the thing in the ape cave. :skeltal:

The crickets at Senpou are normally less aggressive than the Dungeon ones, unless you get hit by the immortal zombie barf, then the temple crickets will mob you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

redreader posted:

Shinobi owl sucks. I only tried him about 4 or 5 times so far but I'm getting worse with each try.

Do you have Living Force? He's flammable - tagging him with your flamethrower when he gives you an opening and hitting him repeatedly with your flaming sword is a great way to extend your combos and deal more health and posture damage.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

redreader posted:

His tracking is awful if you keep at a distance, so you can play keepaway and bait him into whiffing attacks pretty easily. You can actually cheese the entire fight like that I'm pretty sure, which is always an option if you just want to be done with it, but once you've chipped away some health the rest of the fight gets a lot easier since he starts actually taking posture damage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

His tracking is awful if you keep at a distance, so you can play keepaway and bait him into whiffing attacks pretty easily. You can actually cheese the entire fight like that I'm pretty sure, which is always an option if you just want to be done with it, but once you've chipped away some health the rest of the fight gets a lot easier since he starts actually taking posture damage.

Mortal Draw is great for cutting away at his health bar, too. You can keep using it after you've run out of emblems and still do decent damage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mortal Draw is great for cutting away at his health bar, too. You can keep using it after you've run out of emblems and still do decent damage.

This was the strat that worked for me. Use confetti, bait his overhead slam or firecracker attack, dodge behind, then mortal draw
https://youtu.be/EbvbCjiO0nY

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Confetti??? Why does confetti work against him?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Confetti is always a damage up, it's just also extra effective against apparitions.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

redreader posted:

Confetti??? Why does confetti work against him?

Confetti lets you do vitality damage through their guard. Makes all the clashing you do while baiting attacks more productive.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

jit bull transpile posted:

Confetti lets you do vitality damage through their guard. Makes all the clashing you do while baiting attacks more productive.

With Ako's sugar and Confetti, you can rush Lady Butterfly's 2nd phase before she even casts an illusion spell.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

With Ako's sugar and Confetti, you can rush Lady Butterfly's 2nd phase before she even casts an illusion spell.

With enough aggression, you don't even need Ako's or confetti, or even any damage upgrades to do that.
I almost did it once, but then died to one of her counters like a fool (i also had no health upgrades)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Her perilous sweep is annoying, it's her only move that she doesnt seem to be able to be staggered out of (going aggro is still pretty easy so this isnt actually a complaint)

Throwing ninja stars to get her off the wire changes the fight so much. It's kind of odd other fights dont have a trick like that.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 5, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

With enough aggression, you don't even need Ako's or confetti, or even any damage upgrades to do that.
I almost did it once, but then died to one of her counters like a fool (i also had no health upgrades)
yeah, in my challenge run I used the charged attack to force her to deflect and got through the fight without her summoning any

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYgLRMxwB0

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

also: am I crazy or does corrupted monk's fifth swing come out faster than the first four?

Weeks
Jan 5, 2018

No Wave posted:

also: am I crazy or does corrupted monk's fifth swing come out faster than the first four?
it definitely does, cause thats one of the only parry timings I memorized on my first playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
All right! I killed the new castle boss, then the first fountainhead boss, and am exploring fountainhead. WTF are those weird mask-wearing things?