Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ham posted:

What's the general impression on Valkyria Chronicles 4? The original was one of my absolute favorite games on PS3, from the style, characters, combat and general story beats; how does it compare to it?

I'm sad that they wilted and went back to the first style of game. I was really interested in that active combat hybrid thing they were doing first. Other people seem to be enjoying it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Arthur Morgan being a terrible singer is a charming detail

Also I love how free flowing this party feels. Just soaking in good feelings.
No idea if you're ahead of or behind where I am but I really enjoyed the Chapter 2 mission where you go to the saloon in Valentine with one of the other guys and get really drunk and just have shenanigans all night long and that is a thing that usually sucks rear end in games.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Keep posting that good good cowboy poo poo, I love reading about everyone’s experience with the game :D

Brightman posted:

The only really bad issue I know about Prey is the loading times suck, especially on PS4. If you can play it on PC on an ssd that'd be the way to go. I didn't notice any audio issues but I don't have surround either.

I can deal with that, no big deal. As I understand it the game is very good about being consistent with the rooms and the state of them so I assume that’s why the loading takes forever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You’re talking about the Lenny mission at the beginning of chapter 2

I think I’m at the end of chapter 2, it’s a big party at the camp with everyone.

Like how I played Yakuza Kiwami 2 I took a loooooong detour to ignore the story mission and just go explore around. I fought a grizzly, got Revenanted, discovered a serial killer, got killed five times in a row by a mountain lion in the woods, got in a bar fight, got a raccoon hat, got falsely accused of murder and chased by the cops, found some treasure maps and got rich off gold bars, watched a vaudeville variety show, found a meteor, discovered dinosaur bones, found a lover’s murder suicide, got chased off a plantation, punched my horse, sat around watching some guy’s stuff, fought some outlaws with a machine gun and took a bath where a chubby girl scrubbed my unmentionables.

This is a good game.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 3, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm probably never going to play RDR2 because it sounds like a really cool series of experiences wrapped up in a really bad game. Also because Rockstar is a bit of a slimy tax-dodging company that I'd rather not support. But mostly the first part.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Nah it's a good game

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I'm probably never going to play RDR2 because it sounds like a really cool series of experiences wrapped up in a really bad game. Also because Rockstar is a bit of a slimy tax-dodging company that I'd rather not support. But mostly the first part.

This is pretty much what I thought of it (though I wouldn't say it's 'really bad'), and I think I regret playing it to the end. The Witcher 3 is my favourite game so on paper I should probably love rdr2 (as an open world game with great story, sound and sense of place) but I found it to be a chore a lot of the time with moments of brilliance. If it was about half the length I think I'd like it a lot more. Arthur's core story and character I quite liked, but the side stuff didn't do much for me. And as had been said by others there's a few too many shooting galleries. That combined with the mediocre controls gets pretty old after a while. The first rdr was one of my favourite games at the time so my expectations were pretty high, but my taste has probably changed since then.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Morpheus posted:

Some of the scripted gameplay does feel like (Looks left and right, then cups hand around mouth and whispers) a David Cage game, but most of the stuff I described was main-game-engine explore around and stumble into poo poo type of stuff

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Morpheus posted:

lol holy poo poo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like David Cage games :kiddo:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just saying I hate you all, I finally bought Nier.... wont arrive for a few days though....

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

freeranger posted:

Just saying I hate you all, I finally bought Nier.... wont arrive for a few days though....

I hope you enjoy it. Remember the game does practically nothing to explain the controls and how the combos etc. work so either Google or ask here

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Top notch swords!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hmm John came up with a plan to rob a train by putting a burning oil wagon on the tracks. I robbed an oil wagon and stashed it, and now John says to meet him at the oil wagon so that we can set it on fire and rob the train. John took off towards the oil wagon.

(Scratches chin) hmm, what would Kiryu do?

Guess I’m gonna go learn to fish

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Don't forget pocket hoop racing!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I will probably play No Man Sky the 15th, with the next expansion. Apparently they added everything this type of games usually have and more. Enough content for 30 hours or more.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its kinda nice to see they are still working on No Mans Sky, I've had a copy I got from a charity shop for what feels like 2 years and I've never really touched it but it seems like its gonna get to a stage where jumping in for the first time is gonna be a full experience

edit: oh poo poo this is the VR update? this could be wild

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe now that it has to be optimised for vr it won't run like poo poo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll say I think the “Cowboy Action” in RDR2 (I.e the gunplay) is definitely the worst part of the game and big reason it didn’t grip me.

This is overwhelmingly the main game mechanic, shooting lots of dudes with cowboy guns, and it’s got extremely dated and simplistic 3rd person shooter controls.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

Keep posting that good good cowboy poo poo, I love reading about everyone’s experience with the game :D

i randomly came upon some house in the middle of nowhere and this incredibly creepy brother and sister couple invited me in for dinner. i was pretty sure they were trying to poison me and i also realized i left my shotgun on my horse. got up to leave and they were begging me to stay in the most creepy "were gonna murder you" way possible. noped the gently caress out of there so fast.

also i wasent the biggest rdr2 fan but i really have to give them credit for having the best video game shotguns. the pump action shotty was a beast and it was nice that they decided shotguns having an effective range of 5ft in games is dumb as hell.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 3, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

This is overwhelmingly the main game mechanic

WRONG.

You spend 99.9999% of your time holding down the x button and steering left and right.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RDR2 has an amazing world, a fairly good story and bad missions. This is truth.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Morpheus posted:

This is my experience with the game. The character moments and little scenes you run into are really, really well done. The problem is the gameplay in between each moment.

Plus the controls and menu are bad.

Play Days Gone instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will also not be playing RDR2 because I don't really want to. But imagine it's because I am taking a bold and principled stand on the issues.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I enjoyed every second with RDR2 please dont just never play it cos brainlets on the internet cant fathom how a controller works

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have gotten a lot of entertainment however out of reading posts like "oh come on guys the controls aren't THAT bad, all you gotta do is [convoluted process no other video game has in order to avoid shooting yourself in the face]."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StabMasterArson posted:

I enjoyed every second with RDR2 please dont just never play it cos brainlets on the internet cant fathom how a controller works

:nallears:

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sad that they wilted and went back to the first style of game. I was really interested in that active combat hybrid thing they were doing first. Other people seem to be enjoying it though.

cave emperor posted:

It's very similar to VC1, so if you loved that one you'll probably love VC4. I never played the second or third installment, but from what I understand VC4 is considered a return to form after two mediocre sequels.

Regy Rusty posted:

It is as good or better, if you loved VC1 you need to jump on 4 ASAP

Real hurthling! posted:

Its more vc1 like it feels like an expansion campaign. I petered out after a dozen hours i should go back

Thanks all! Downloading now.

I only tried Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the other games and couldn't gel with the school setting.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I will probably play No Man Sky the 15th, with the next expansion. Apparently they added everything this type of games usually have and more. Enough content for 30 hours or more.

If you want to play an already excellent space game on the PS4 just play Elite: Dangerous.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

RDR2 controls are just like the controls in real life. So you just have to learn it like a baby learns and after a while it becomes second nature.

Montalvo posted:

If you want to play an already excellent space game on the PS4 just play Elite: Dangerous.

I have both Elite and No Man's Sky, they scratch a completely different itch.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I loved RDR2 but even then the best I could say about the control scheme is that it is like driving a manual, clunky and outdated but becomes natural at some point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah No Man's Sky is about being the rudest, loudest space tourist on a road trip to the center of the galaxy, shouting at people speaking foreign languages you can't understand, and deciding along the way you wanna get involved in some robot race's weird techno-bullshit and take a vacation building dune buggies, while Elite Dangerous is about being a space trucker who gets pulled over by space cops and lands on colonies with the grace of a drunken cow.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GTA V and RDR 2 have a sort of stiff, "hey man don't look at me, you pressed the button" feel to the controls, almost like you've got an action figure of your little on-screen dude in your hands, and it either clicks and feels awesome or it feels like unplayable poo poo

If you pressed the shoot button while falling/ragdolling in GTA, you were liable to fire your RPG directly into the ground, instantly killing yourself, even if the cameras wasn't pointed at the ground. I think there was even a button it combination of buttons that ragdolled you right where you stood, so it was possible to accidentally do this at any time. I don't know if that's entirely relevant, and reading back over it it sounds a lot like a serious complaint, so, go back to your businesses I suppose

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ham posted:

I only tried Valkyria Chronicles 2 from the other games and couldn't gel with the school setting.

Oh sweet jesus, you poor loving soul :stonklol:.

Go play VC1 first if you can, it's fairly cheap and a drat good game in its own right.

VC2 is... not. In any way, shape, or form.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh sweet jesus, you poor loving soul :stonklol:.

Go play VC1 first if you can, it's fairly cheap and a drat good game in its own right.

VC2 is... not. In any way, shape, or form.

They played it

Ham posted:

What's the general impression on Valkyria Chronicles 4? The original was one of my absolute favorite games on PS3, from the style, characters, combat and general story beats; how does it compare to it?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Could be worse, they could've only played Valkyria Revolution.

Knight Who Says Ni
Apr 26, 2014

Gripweed posted:

OK, I take back what I said about Okami being good. QTE drawing sequences? When you're drawing with the drat thumbstick, and oh yeah the symbol you're drawing is flower if you're drawing it over a tree but means sun if you draw it over the sky so of course you're drawing it over a tree in the sky so if it's slightly off you get a sun instead and have to go all the way back to the start, and if you take your time to draw it just right well gently caress you there's a time limit so you go back to the start, and have to sit through the same interminably slow unskippable text that this fuckin game has, it took me ten goddamn tires to get through that tree blooming dance section.

Garbage game.

The good news is that these kinds of sequences are pretty rare. If this was the tree-blooming dance towards the beginning of the game, there is only one other sequence like it much later, and it is optional. There are a few other timed drawing sequences that I can remember, but they use Powerslash, so you just have to do straight lines in the right place. Also, those sequences let you do an immediate repeat if you screw up without sitting through interminable dialog.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Wii version of Okami let you paint with the wiimote which was pretty much perfect, unfortunately it also had unique, differently bad control limitations like binding combat dodge to jerking the nunchuck around.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

The Wii version of Okami let you paint with the wiimote which was pretty much perfect, unfortunately it also had unique, differently bad control limitations like binding combat dodge to jerking the nunchuck around.

It also didn’t take widescreen support into account if you had it enabled, which was fun to realize while trying to draw something circular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
People loving Rifftrax, anime, and not being able to use a controller is a great aspect of this thread.