Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Al! posted:

parker molloy knows a thing or two about defending monsters

journalists have a class interest in defending their profession regardless of any other political consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Pretty sure I saw that on a Twilight Zone episode and things didn't work out too well.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tulip posted:

journalists have a class interest in defending their profession regardless of any other political consequences
what we call a "journalist" today is more akin to someone who regularly and aggressively whores themselves out for political and professional access. i blame the post-watergate journalism boom. from the start, the people trying to be the next Woodward and Bernstein came from the Ivy League, and as newsrooms started dying out at the end of the '80s as a result of an oversaturated market, it only got worse

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

get that OUT of my face posted:

what we call a "journalist" today is more akin to someone who regularly and aggressively whores themselves out for political and professional access. i blame the post-watergate journalism boom. from the start, the people trying to be the next Woodward and Bernstein came from the Ivy League, and as newsrooms started dying out at the end of the '80s as a result of an oversaturated market, it only got worse

our situation today is roughly equivalent to the era of "yellow journalism" where stories and coverage were strictly determined by the owners of the outlet and journalists were mostly mercenaries who would write whatever for whomever for a paycheck. the twitter jornos who complain about leftists wanting to silence free speech have their stories killed for being too politically sensitive all the time, they just don't usually talk about it because of "professional ethics"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

theory: nobody on Twitter whose avatar is a picture of themselves in that particular cartoon style has opinions worth listening to

Parker Molloy's brain has melted, unfortunately

not infested with worms spiders, but it certainly has started to cover creases

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/WashTimes/status/1158442617023139841

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Victory Position posted:

Parker Molloy's brain has melted, unfortunately

not infested with worms spiders, but it certainly has started to cover creases

someone mentioned manufacturing consent and she was like, what’s that?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/poliscibitches/status/1158196133069381634

amazing self own here

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

an assault rifle is easy to recognize because it's name starts with the letters AR as in AR-15

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

no it stands for ARmalite-15 (the AR in armalite stands for assault rifle)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jenny Agutter posted:

an assault rifle is easy to recognize because it's name starts with the letters AR as in AR-15

actually it stands for armalite which is the company that originally made the rifle pattern and *gets shot in the head by a spree shooter despite having big iron on my hip*

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

im just amazed that you wouldn't look up the definition of assault rifle before making that tweet so maybe im getting trolled here

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

assault rifles are defined by doing more damage per bullet and having better aim down sight accuracy and zoom than smg's but also having worse recoil

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

turn off the TV posted:

no it stands for ARmalite-15 (the AR in armalite stands for assault rifle)

No, Armalite makes the gun, but it’s an assault rifle. it’s called 15 because there were 14 made before it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The AR is actually short for murdARgun

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Weird branding, but hey, it's their money.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/laughdugrylegal/status/1158409666231242758

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol this is my poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the hot the take article or the parody account reply

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"cruel anti-landlord policies" makes me lean towards parody post

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

"cruel anti-landlord policies" makes me lean towards parody post

https://twitter.com/laughdugrylegal/status/1157611351944171521?s=20

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Corbyn just hates those goblin bankers smh

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Where's the own? :confused:

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Corbyn just hates those (((goblin))) bankers smh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zipperelli. posted:

Where's the own? :confused:

That’s not the usual definition of “assault rifle”.

Whether or not you think it’s an acceptable definition, cons certainly don’t and they’re not going to respond with ellipses.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

That’s not the usual definition of “assault rifle”.

Well I'm down to be educated here. As far as I know, an "assault rifle" is a rife capable of semi-/burst or full auto fire, with a pistol grip, forward handguard and detachable magazine?

The FAWB (now defunct, but the best way I've seen them defined) defined them as a rifle having or having the capability for:
- Semi-automatic firearm capable of accepting a detachable magazine
- Folding or telescoping (collapsible) stock
- Pistol grip
- Bayonet lug
- Threaded barrel
- Grenade launcher
- Barrel shroud

I was under the impression that if your rifle holds 3 of those, that would be considered an assault rifle. It would seem I'm wrong, so what would be the actual definition?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zipperelli. posted:

Well I'm down to be educated here. As far as I know, an "assault rifle" is a rife capable of semi-/burst or full auto fire, with a pistol grip, forward handguard and detachable magazine?

The FAWB (now defunct, but the best way I've seen them defined) defined them as a rifle having or having the capability for:
- Pistol grip
- Bayonet lug
- Threaded barrel
- Grenade launcher
- Barrel shroud

I was under the impression that if your rifle holds 3 of those, that would be considered an assault rifle. It would seem I'm wrong, so what would be the actual definition?

That's the definition of an assault weapon. I've always seen assault rifle defined as a select fire rifle that can do full auto that uses an intermediate caliber cartridge.

AFAIK assault rifles have been banned since 1968.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

turn off the TV posted:

That's the definition of an assault weapon. I've always seen assault rifle defined as a select fire rifle that can do full auto that uses an intermediate caliber cartridge.

but... but... a rifle IS a loving weapon.... like, what!?

Our gun laws are so loving dumb.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

turn off the TV posted:

not banned per se; full-auto firearms are still around, but you need a federal firearms license (FFL) to buy and own one and there are a lot of controls on guns entering and leaving the market so a lot of the ones that still exist have been around since pre-68

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zipperelli. posted:

- Pistol grip
- Bayonet lug
- Threaded barrel
- Grenade launcher
- Barrel shroud

The definition of “assault weapon” is unrelated to the definition of “assault rifle”.

Like, no one considers shotguns to be “rifles” even if they have rifled barrels.

For that matter, pistols have had rifled barrels longer than long guns have.

An assault rifle, as conceived of in the early postwar period, has to be capable of automatic and/or burst fire.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zipperelli. posted:

Assault rifles are probably legally assault weapons but not all rifles which are assault weapons are assault rifles.

I don't know who came up with the term assault weapon but their brain wasn't completely on the level.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
this is the most pedantic derail I think CSPAM has ever had

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

this is the most pedantic derail I think CSPAM has ever had

entirely relevant though; now stop contributing to thread content

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zipperelli. posted:

Legal terms are always a mess.

A Glock is quite clearly a device that is destructive, but to the ATF, a “destructive device” is a term of art under the National Firearms Act. It includes things like grenade launchers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

not banned per se; full-auto firearms are still around, but you need a federal firearms license (FFL) to buy and own one and there are a lot of controls on guns entering and leaving the market so a lot of the ones that still exist have been around since pre-68

iirc to have any kind of fully automatic weapon you need a machinegun license, which are all prohibitively expensive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zipperelli. posted:

entirely relevant though; now stop contributing to thread content

it’s not really relevant that’s kind of the point.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CharlestheHammer posted:

it’s not really relevant that’s kind of the point.

what about the tweet that i posted earlier that started the conversation where someone claims to be a pedant and gun under stander because she shocks chuds by knowing the definition of assault rifle and then gives the wrong definition for assault rifle

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

iirc to have any kind of fully automatic weapon you need a machinegun license, which are all prohibitively expensive.

an FFL, yes, and the license itself isn’t super expensive but it does come with baggage and restrictions because you basically have to become a firearms dealer and comply with the relevant laws and regulations

all the machineguns that are still on the market are pretty expensive though, like $5k is the cheapest they get iirc

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
anyway it’s time for someone to bring up the definition of assault gun, which were those big flat-shooting artillery pieces on tracks that the Red Army used to destroy Nazi bunkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lets stop gunchat and start up buttstuffchat

https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/status/1155098037590487040