Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had a 128, it was a good driver but man the little stuff that broke was really annoying. Typical superior German electronics and adhesives. It never stranded me.

... Except immediately after buying it, I found out the gas gauge was hung up at 1/2. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had a 128 which was reliable except the lens of the CHMSL kept cracking and peeling off. It got replaced under warranty twice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ran the VIN and it's a NY car....I'm in FL.

This should be interesting.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Someone fled NY with a RWD car. Perfectly logical.

Honestly, mine didn't look too bad as a result of living in Vermont, it's probably fine.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well that's all good besides the fact that apparently Carmax just now offered him what he was asking for it, and now wants to charge me $1500 more for it.

What the gently caress is wrong with people.

[e] Going to look at the Z4C later (apparently) so i'll see how that goes

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

N54 engine question (‘08, e61):

Locally I can find ethanol free 90 octane, and 93 octane with 10% ethanol. Any price difference is largely negligible.

A poke around the bmw forums (dear god, BRO, these cars are getting way too cheap while their design is aging well to keep idiots away- the signal to noise is amazing) seems to point to ethanol content in fuel being what kills HPFPs.

Thoughts?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Alarbus posted:

The heat exchanger buried in the dash failed. No idea if that's common or not, to be honest. It also happened during the hottest week of that year, and we were doing a long road trip the following month, so it turned into a good reason to car shop. I don't recall seeing that on the E90 forums, and my prior one was fine, so who knows.

And sure the Z4MC is better, but it's also a lot more rare, and expensive. The 128 is a pretty "normal" car, and is just solidly good. And was produced in greater numbers. :)

Yes, the E90 definitely has the A/C evap under the dash that fails. In fact, I’m sure the 1 series inherited that from the 3 series. Just a phenomenally stupid engineering decision.

The upside for you, potentially with the I6, is there’s an access panel in the firewall to facilitate replacement. Might be there for the 1 series, it’s definitely there on the E90. The fun part for M3 owners is when they decided to put the wider V8 in it they just said gently caress it to any access panels that were covered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Someone fled NY with a RWD car. Perfectly logical.

Honestly, mine didn't look too bad as a result of living in Vermont, it's probably fine.

I had mine in MA and it was probably fine but in fairness it was only for 3 years.

I move around a lot for work and such, now I'm worried that people will get suspicious whenever I go to sell my car that has been registered (by me, single owner) in NC, MA, and MI.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Can we make a list of all the different BMWs that are the "last pure BMW"?

Z4MC at the top, plz.

The E21 was the last pure BMW since a traditional BMW was a kooky, economical and comfortable but modestly spirited car for eccentric people, the E30 came along and ruined it all with its mass appeal and aspirational image.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 4, 2019

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
lol this owns, do you have video?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Can we make a list of all the different BMWs that are the "last pure BMW"?

Z4MC at the top, plz.
e92 328 baby. last 3 series 2 door with a manual transmission and an NA straight six. plus unlike the four door, it doesnt look like a hot melted turd

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

glyph posted:

N54 engine question (‘08, e61):

Locally I can find ethanol free 90 octane, and 93 octane with 10% ethanol. Any price difference is largely negligible.

A poke around the bmw forums (dear god, BRO, these cars are getting way too cheap while their design is aging well to keep idiots away- the signal to noise is amazing) seems to point to ethanol content in fuel being what kills HPFPs.

Thoughts?

I think a lot of "x kills HFPFs" is correlation based, but HFPFs fail, so does it also mean causation? I'd run the higher octane and keep the rest of the motor happy. HFPF prices have come down a TON and they're not super hard to replace.

In other news, I need to get you a price for parts, I've just been bogged down with life stuff. :( sorry.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah I'm betting a HPFP is cheaper than a piston with a hole in it

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

angryrobots posted:

Yeah I'm betting a HPFP is cheaper than a piston with a hole in it

idk man I feel like i could find you a piston with a hole in it for like peanuts

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

meatpimp posted:

In other news, I need to get you a price for parts, I've just been bogged down with life stuff. :( sorry.

Dude, no thing at all. I’m ALSO trying to Frankenstein two accords (there’s a single post in the you did what what to your ride thread) together currently, while being home for the only week this month. There is ZERO rush on my end. Oh, and I STILL don’t have the loving title for this thing, so trips around the block are on expired out of state plates with current insurance. Oof.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You can put the DISA intake on the N52 and get ~270HP, I was looking at 128s and mostly found it was very difficult to get one that has the M Sport package, 6MT and leather

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

e92 328 baby. last 3 series 2 door with a manual transmission and an NA straight six. plus unlike the four door, it doesnt look like a hot melted turd
e85/e86 were the last with hydraulic steering. You can keep the steer-by-wire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

E28 imo

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

lol this owns, do you have video?

We're getting close.

Ofc there's also this one

And two more pages you get the idea. I also have a thread I don't update enough, filter AI by the 70s tag if you want to know more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to look at the Z4C yesterday and it was easy to pass on it, clearly wasn't taken care of very well, and when the guy drove it up to the place we were meeting he pulled the front end of the car right over a parking block with a loud SCRAAAAAAAAAAPE and got out of the car like it was a normal occurrence. Looking underneath the front end it was clear he did it often. Drove the car anyway tho because I have never driven one and was curious, in sport mode the AT shifts loving HARD it was kind of bizarre, if I was to get one of these cars it would definitely have to be an MT, the AT just didn't feel right in that car. And the seats weren't very comfortable or supportive either. Other than that it was pretty fast and handled really well.....Don't know if i could live with it as a daily tho.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah if you’re gonna be daily driving this car you’d be better off with the Z3 Coupe since it’s got all that storage available and is the weirdest and best BMW.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Caught a flat tire in the e46 late last night coming home. Had to get towed to the tire shop near my work.

I'm guessing I should go with PS4 right? Also the tires on it are fairly new so I was thinking of just replacing the rears for now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

beanieson posted:

Yeah if you’re gonna be daily driving this car you’d be better off with the Z3 Coupe since it’s got all that storage available and is the weirdest and best BMW.

regular z3 coupes are so amazingly expensive for being a non-M car.

maybe you can find my former z3mc which went off to florida with the new owner 5 years ago

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Went to look at the Z4C yesterday and it was easy to pass on it, clearly wasn't taken care of very well, and when the guy drove it up to the place we were meeting he pulled the front end of the car right over a parking block with a loud SCRAAAAAAAAAAPE and got out of the car like it was a normal occurrence. Looking underneath the front end it was clear he did it often. Drove the car anyway tho because I have never driven one and was curious, in sport mode the AT shifts loving HARD it was kind of bizarre, if I was to get one of these cars it would definitely have to be an MT, the AT just didn't feel right in that car. And the seats weren't very comfortable or supportive either. Other than that it was pretty fast and handled really well.....Don't know if i could live with it as a daily tho.

hard shifting good or bad? the one i drove was in the "good for a traditional automatic" category, at the time.

that's pretty much how i remember it though, weirdly wide sporty seats for fat asses larger than mine own and a front airdam before every manufacturer had a minimum height to clear parking blocks. it was kind of a weird spot between a GT 2 seater and a sports car, especially with how low and hard-sprung it was.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Popete posted:

I'm guessing I should go with PS4 right? Also the tires on it are fairly new so I was thinking of just replacing the rears for now.

Yes. Yes they are.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BraveUlysses posted:

maybe you can find my former z3mc which went off to florida with the new owner 5 years ago

Gotta pay if you want to drive a Bond Car, baby

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

BraveUlysses posted:

Really only the M54 ones. I picked up an M52TU one for 11k and getting go fast parts for it is a pain in the rear end but otherwise it's incredible.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gotta pay if you want to drive a Bond Car, baby

that was a 4-cylinder Toadster but yeah. I’ve been trying to find a high-mileage/beaten-on/broken-down Z3C to swap all my 332Ti guts into and can’t find anything for less than $7k, with most of them over $10k (for a non-M). which is pretty crazy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
regular z3 interior is so bad looking, got drat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress me apparently. e46 is sitting at the tire shop waiting for Tire Rack shipment so I was driving the e36 today running errands and got another flat tire!

Fun times rolling/carrying my spare up the on-ramp and to a gas station to fill it with air and then back to my car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I test drove the 135i, it was a nice car and it drove really good, but unfortunately it's a NY car and i just don't want to deal with the rust. Calipers were completely rusted and the rotors were toast, all rusted and pitted so at the very least it needed pads and rotors, possibly calipers if the bleeder screws were rusted shut. Underneath lots of suspension nuts and bolts rusted, and even under the hood there was rust. The owner mentioned he had to replace the loving oil pan because it had rusted through and was leaking. I know some of you think that's normal poo poo but not down here, the way I look at it is I live in Florida and should not have to deal with any rust at all, period. Too bad because if it was a FL car I would have bought it. And MAYBE possibly if he kept the original price he had at just under 7k I might have considered it, but then he raised the price on me to 8.4k so gently caress that.

I made the mistake of buying a Miata from Ohio once and vowed never again.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My steering wheel was dirty so I decided to hit some stuff with some leather cleaner and conditioner.

:rip:

I've got to say, I've never really had that happen before, especially not to that level.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Superior German fill in the blank

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So I test drove the 135i, it was a nice car and it drove really good, but unfortunately it's a NY car and i just don't want to deal with the rust. Calipers were completely rusted and the rotors were toast, all rusted and pitted so at the very least it needed pads and rotors, possibly calipers if the bleeder screws were rusted shut. Underneath lots of suspension nuts and bolts rusted, and even under the hood there was rust. The owner mentioned he had to replace the loving oil pan because it had rusted through and was leaking. I know some of you think that's normal poo poo but not down here, the way I look at it is I live in Florida and should not have to deal with any rust at all, period. Too bad because if it was a FL car I would have bought it. And MAYBE possibly if he kept the original price he had at just under 7k I might have considered it, but then he raised the price on me to 8.4k so gently caress that.

Good call. It's just not worth it. Once that crap starts it is just cancer that you'll be perpetually fighting but never actually cure. That poo poo is not normal no matter what New Englanders or Midwesterners say. Cars should last decades plural, not maybe one singular decade if you're lucky.

We've got cars from the 80s still getting daily driven around here in the PNW, especially old BMWs and Volvos.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IDK if you gotta get something ASAP but there's a pretty good market for 135s if you are willing to hunt a bit for a good example.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

My steering wheel was dirty so I decided to hit some stuff with some leather cleaner and conditioner.

:rip:

I've got to say, I've never really had that happen before, especially not to that level.

Christ, the F80 as well? Mine is super beat, just worn down and sticky at times. I’ve been meaning to try a leatherique treatment. Failing that I don’t know what to do. Alcantara sucks for touch surfaces but it’s significantly cheaper than a new wheel.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wait, 135 or 128?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Christ, the F80 as well? Mine is super beat, just worn down and sticky at times. I’ve been meaning to try a leatherique treatment. Failing that I don’t know what to do. Alcantara sucks for touch surfaces but it’s significantly cheaper than a new wheel.

Yeah, that's the f80. It was Lexol cleaner and conditioner and the majority of that happened right off the bat. I thought the wheel was just super dirty at first, but nope, it was the finish on the leather coming off. I don't feel like I was super aggressive or anything, not any more aggressive than I would have been on either of my other cars with a leather wrapped wheel anyway.

Could be worse I guess?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 6, 2019

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

Yeah, that's the f80. It was Lexol cleaner and conditioner and the majority of that happened right off the bat. I thought the wheel was just super dirty at first, but nope, it was the finish on the leather coming off. I don't feel like I was super aggressive or anything, not any more aggressive than I would have been on either of my other cars with a leather wrapped wheel anyway.

Could be worse I guess?

That's exactly what happened to mine, just at 9 years / 68k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-rare-1999-coupe-excellent/6945081663.html

“firm price”.

ugh.