Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

I get that a script is not a novel, but the prose seems really bad.

the script also refers to jon snow as a "diminutive man" when kit harrington is 5'8", a normal height that is not short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

the script also refers to jon snow as a "diminutive man" when kit harrington is 5'8", a normal height that is not short

Yeah, that’s the weirdest flex in there. And it’s a recurring thing in Season 8. Dany and Sansa dunk on Jon for being short for no reason when it’s never come up before in the series. God knows how many other sleights on other actors are buried in the other five scripts for that year.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Everyone knows that Jon/Kit's on the shorter side, what's the point of adding that.

It resembles Eye of Argon.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 6, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I don't think he's actually 5'8. It's still weirdly mean-spirited unless he himself is in on the joke

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Watch HBO reboot the series just cause of all the poo poo they got for the last season.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You know who else in the cast is short?

Maisie Williams

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Everyone knows that Jon/Kit's on the shorter side, what's the point of adding that.

5'8" is an average and respectable height, "on the shorter side" starts at 5'7.5" :colbert:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Typical Goon posted:

I'll throw in a hot take and say that after my series re-read I'm of the opinion Dance is the second best book and maybe even the best

why tho? Tyrions chapters are poo poo and "where do whores go". Isn't Dany just moping about Daario and watching everything she built up turn to poo poo? Jon gets killed which is cool. Reek chapters are probably the best.

hahaha Jon is still dead in the books. And Dance was literally the second half of Feast. Its like I forget for a little while just how hosed this series is, and everytime I remember it's just hilarious. They should put "Meanwhile... back at the Wall" on his loving gravestone.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

Watch HBO reboot the series just cause of all the poo poo they got for the last season.

Someone will reboot it in a few years, and have the plot whittled down to a 10 episode miniseries.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best chapter of Dance is the hell march on Winterfell.

Varys's plan going completely off the rails because Tyrion trolled his puppet king was funny too.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 6, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
LMAO if you don't realize everything below 6' is tiny.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

kcroy posted:

Someone will reboot it in a few years, and have the plot whittled down to a 10 episode miniseries.

"Ok guys, the next book will be out before this series ends. I swear!" *deposits fat check and goes to TGIFridays*

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

kcroy posted:

why tho? Tyrions chapters are poo poo and "where do whores go". Isn't Dany just moping about Daario and watching everything she built up turn to poo poo? Jon gets killed which is cool. Reek chapters are probably the best.

hahaha Jon is still dead in the books. And Dance was literally the second half of Feast. Its like I forget for a little while just how hosed this series is, and everytime I remember it's just hilarious. They should put "Meanwhile... back at the Wall" on his loving gravestone.

Dance is when GRRM starts to go more 'deep' with his metaphors, and its quite subtle so most people miss what he is doing, I know I missed it my first time reading. I absolutely hated the Meereen chapters and was bored silly of them, but on a re-read I started to see what GRRM was aiming for, and knowing the ending of the series is 'Nazi Dany' the chapters make a lot more sense.

Basically the Meereen chapters are about Dany's inner struggle, and her sexual choices are that inner struggle personified. She wants Daario, who she describes herself as "war and woe" He represents her 'fire and blood' desires and her conquerors instincts, but at this point shes still deluding herself (and the readers cause of POV bias) into thinking that she's a just ruler. Hizdahr represents peace and Meereen, which she finds unbearable and disgusting, there is a line in the chapters that really underscores this that is something like "she must return to her huband, Hizdahr of the tepid kisses, who had given her peace"

Then there is the fun of trying to figure out all the murder mystery style subplots about who is the Harpy (the green grace) or who poisoned the locusts (Shakaz) which are also very subtly hinted at but not explicitly said and I think the Dany chapters are equal to the Theon chapters in terms of character development and subtle subplots.

Tyrions chapters are kind of poo poo, but not as bad as most people say. Dance does have the problem where GRRM gets lazy with his writing and keeps repeating dumb phrases "where do whores go" "nipples on a breastplate" etc but I think the narrative is on a deeper level than any of the other books, even if the writing is technically worse.

Near as I can tell the plot of the Tyrion chapters is that he is basically destroyed in the beginning, living only through hate and desire for vengeance. He doesn't think life is worth living and the only thing he wants is to see the destruction of his family. He's basically suicidal and constantly thinks about eating the poisonous mushrooms he found in his first chapter, only living because of his desire for vengeance. This all changes when he meets Penny, she represents innocence and goodness and Tyrion finds himself drawn to protecting her, even though he finds her naive and foolish. In the last chapter when they escape from their slave owners he finally throws away the mushrooms and risks himself to make sure Penny comes with him, for no other reason than he feels responsible for her. He's moved past his horrible little demon stage and is back to the Tyrion of the first three books.

I can see why a lot of people don't like Dance, its not as action filled and more heavy on metaphors and hidden subplots and world building, but that's personally what I've always found most attractive about ASOIAF, as opposed to the standard fantasy poo poo about knights and dragons or whatever.

People in this thread should re-read the books. They're actually pretty good

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is Dany making GBS threads her brains out a metaphor for.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

the 2007 troop surge

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

drat you got me, in the book series that's longer than the bible and LotRs combined there are a couple of bad lines, the whole series is ruined

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Season 8.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The more she drank, the more she shat, and the more she shat, the more she burned down Kings Landing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nine-gear crow posted:

The more she drank, the more she shat, and the more she shat, the more she burned down Kings Landing.

Interesting nickname for her bhole

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Tyrions chapters are kind of poo poo, but not as bad as most people say. Dance does have the problem where GRRM gets lazy with his writing and keeps repeating dumb phrases "where do whores go" "nipples on a breastplate" etc but I think the narrative is on a deeper level than any of the other books, even if the writing is technically worse.

Near as I can tell the plot of the Tyrion chapters is that he is basically destroyed in the beginning, living only through hate and desire for vengeance. He doesn't think life is worth living and the only thing he wants is to see the destruction of his family. He's basically suicidal and constantly thinks about eating the poisonous mushrooms he found in his first chapter, only living because of his desire for vengeance. This all changes when he meets Penny, she represents innocence and goodness and Tyrion finds himself drawn to protecting her, even though he finds her naive and foolish. In the last chapter when they escape from their slave owners he finally throws away the mushrooms and risks himself to make sure Penny comes with him, for no other reason than he feels responsible for her. He's moved past his horrible little demon stage and is back to the Tyrion of the first three books.

I can see why a lot of people don't like Dance, its not as action filled and more heavy on metaphors and hidden subplots and world building, but that's personally what I've always found most attractive about ASOIAF, as opposed to the standard fantasy poo poo about knights and dragons or whatever.

People in this thread should re-read the books. They're actually pretty good

Tyrion's "horrible little demon" stage is barely a thing. He murders the woman who sold him out and the father who abused and insulted him, but pretty much all of his evil plans are passing fantasies that are done with by the time he's on the road to meet FakeAegon. And Tyrion's Wacky Slave Adventure is just embarrassing.

The only redeeming things about ADWD are Asha's chapters and Jaime's. Brienne's journey could be condensed into one, maybe two chapters of 'War is bad, mmkay?' and Daenerys turning into an utter moron just so they can create artificial stakes is pitiful. I'm lukewarm on the Dorne stuff and the Golden Company plot because while not -actively- bad, they feel extraneous to the real story. I'm half convinced GRRM came up with them on the fly to make good on his "mummer's dragon" prophecy in the House of the Undying and don't see how they can end in anything but a colossal dud.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

5'8" is an average and respectable height, "on the shorter side" starts at 5'7.5" :colbert:

Which is fine, because Kit Harrington's actual real life not-numbers-made-up-by-his-publicist height is about 5'6".

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Tyrion's "horrible little demon" stage is barely a thing. He murders the woman who sold him out and the father who abused and insulted him, but pretty much all of his evil plans are passing fantasies that are done with by the time he's on the road to meet FakeAegon. And Tyrion's Wacky Slave Adventure is just embarrassing.

The only redeeming things about ADWD are Asha's chapters and Jaime's. Brienne's journey could be condensed into one, maybe two chapters of 'War is bad, mmkay?' and Daenerys turning into an utter moron just so they can create artificial stakes is pitiful. I'm lukewarm on the Dorne stuff and the Golden Company plot because while not -actively- bad, they feel extraneous to the real story. I'm half convinced GRRM came up with them on the fly to make good on his "mummer's dragon" prophecy in the House of the Undying and don't see how they can end in anything but a colossal dud.

Most of the stuff you're talking about is in Feast, not Dance,. I do agree with you about Brienne's story arc, we didn't need half a book of her doing nothing but being a character foil for Jaime. I'm curious what you mean by the "real story" though, isnt the real story whatever GRRM decides to write? There is a lot more to the story than just the battle against the Others, I personally am much more interested in how the 'Nazi Dany' plotline turns out, and I think the fAegon/Golden Company/Dorne stuff is going to prove very important into her eventual descent into madness. If the last books ever come out they won't I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up like the show and they end up dealing with the Others a lot faster than most people expect.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Most of the stuff you're talking about is in Feast, not Dance,. I do agree with you about Brienne's story arc, we didn't need half a book of her doing nothing but being a character foil for Jaime. I'm curious what you mean by the "real story" though, isnt the real story whatever GRRM decides to write? There is a lot more to the story than just the battle against the Others, I personally am much more interested in how the 'Nazi Dany' plotline turns out, and I think the fAegon/Golden Company/Dorne stuff is going to prove very important into her eventual descent into madness. If the last books ever come out they won't I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up like the show and they end up dealing with the Others a lot faster than most people expect.

If I had to guess (and I do, since books aren't happening), I'd say that Dany has to leave Essos with a bad taste in her mouth after Meereen is freed but remains poo poo, and then arrives in Westeros to see that the locals prefer FakeAegon to her and her unwashed savages. Then a dragon dies and her mommy issues go into overdrive....

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sephyr posted:

I'm lukewarm on the Dorne stuff and the Golden Company plot because while not -actively- bad, they feel extraneous to the real story. I'm half convinced GRRM came up with them on the fly to make good on his "mummer's dragon" prophecy in the House of the Undying and don't see how they can end in anything but a colossal dud.

I'm on board with whoever it was that said Dany finding fAegon on the throne is why she ends up burninating the countryside capital. It makes a lot of what happened more meaningful.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The mountain that does not write has already gone on record to say that Danny is still in essos by the end of wow, but at least she gets to meet up with tyrion (right at the end). I think he said she was about to cross the narrow sea. So perhaps her host has walked across the continent through trial and tribulation, like that one crusade.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Collateral posted:

The mountain that does not write has already gone on record to say that Danny is still in essos by the end of wow, but at least she gets to meet up with tyrion (right at the end). I think he said she was about to cross the narrow sea. So perhaps her host has walked across the continent through trial and tribulation, like that one crusade.

He's just throwing out fishing lines and hoping that his fans put the chapters yet unwritten into his mail box. Seems like a game of bones is needed once again!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Collateral posted:

I'm pretty sure this never happened? He stopped releasing WoW chapters years ago cause he didn't want to give up anymore of the story for free

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

A Typical Goon posted:

He stopped releasing WoW chapters years ago cause he didn't write any.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
remember when the show cut the aegon plot line and forgot about the golden company, then put the golden company in the last episode just to have them all die instantly and do nothing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

remember when the show cut the aegon plot line and forgot about the golden company, then put the golden company in the last episode just to have them all die instantly and do nothing.

I do, it was just barely stupid and absurd enough to stand out from the background of how loving bad season 8 was.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

I loved it. The Golden Company's presence in the show is a perfect representation of the final season as a whole.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The apocalyptic zombie horde should have been the ending where most of the main characters die. I feel the books would never end with a happy ending for anyone but a villain.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Collateral posted:

'Leaked' stuff about the battle of Meereen has the Iron fleet arriving at the end of the battle and wrecking the slaver navy to the surprise of everyone, so she should have a fuckton of ships available, after she stops making GBS threads by the riverside and gets back aftwer whatever dumb stuff happens with the Dothraki.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm interested in seeing how the Iron fleet stuff all turns out, Victarion's chapters are full of Moqqoro predicting that Victarion is gonna get hosed eventually and Victarion just nodding along and not realizing he's getting hosed with

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm interested in seeing how the Iron fleet stuff all turns out, Victarion's chapters are full of Moqqoro predicting that Victarion is gonna get hosed eventually and Victarion just nodding along and not realizing he's getting hosed with

Isn't Victarion like legitimately mentally disabled? That's what I got from his chapters. Not like Asperger's or something, but like a boxer or football player with too many concussions.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jack2142 posted:

Isn't Victarion like legitimately mentally disabled? That's what I got from his chapters. Not like Asperger's or something, but like a boxer or football player with too many concussions.

I actually thought it was specifically something like Aspergers. He references how he was never good with words and stuff even when he was young before presumably, he had multiple concussions from fighting or whatever.

*edit forgot the word thought.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 9, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He hates laughter because he can't tell if people are laughing at him.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
But on the other hand it was pretty smart when he hedged his bets and burned those 7 whores on the ship in the middle of an ocean as a sacrifice to the drowned god, the Red God and the Seven all at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Not gonna lie, the Victarion chapters alone are worth the books

Here comes a dumb armor-wearing insane viking not realizing most of anything around him, and he's so much FUN to read

Worst part of the later books is legitimately Brienne's chapters of wandering around, that was the only part where I was actually bored