Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rear end posted:

The Middle Eastern airlines (Etihad, Emirates and Qatar Airways mostly) are really loving nice.

turkish is quite nice too, although not as decadent as emirates. their transatlantic flights can be surprisingly cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I only fly airlines where the stewardesses must cover their hair in modesty

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

also every retail store with more than a few cashiers should have one long line feeding to whichever cashier is free

(i think fry's electronics does this)

the last few times I’ve been to a frys this has made it very stark how far frys has fallen from its glory days. the big stores like Sunnyvale have 50+ cashier stands, but these days you never see more than 5 staffed, and not much of a line

it’s kinda mysterious how fry’s still exists tbh, what with the 1-2 punch of amazon destroying retail and that one frys exec who embezzled shitloads of money (to gamble in vegas, so they weren’t able to claw much back)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Management posted:

truetone is very sensitive to screen calibration. replacement screens already do a poo poo job because they don’t update the factory calibration data, so the gamma correction is wrong. once you start adjusting the colors dynamically it gets pretty hosed.

True Tone is on OLED displays as well that are pretty much impossible to keep calibrated, this is moronic.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

prices aren’t the only thing their fleet of 737s wants to bring down

aside from the joke there’s an easily googled photo of the southwest 737max fleet sitting grounded in victorville ca, and apparently they’re putting feelers out to airbus

not the first time the latter has happened, but it’s likely to be more serious than just bargaining leverage this time around. the max debacle has been an object lesson in how far it’s safe to keep incrementally upgrading a really old airplane design. southwest management is a bunch of fools if they haven’t realized by now that the max is the last 737 family airframe they should buy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lambert posted:

True Tone is on OLED displays as well that are pretty much impossible to keep calibrated, this is moronic.

we’re talking about airlines now flac stymie

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BobHoward posted:

aside from the joke there’s an easily googled photo of the southwest 737max fleet sitting grounded in victorville ca, and apparently they’re putting feelers out to airbus

not the first time the latter has happened, but it’s likely to be more serious than just bargaining leverage this time around. the max debacle has been an object lesson in how far it’s safe to keep incrementally upgrading a really old airplane design. southwest management is a bunch of fools if they haven’t realized by now that the max is the last 737 family airframe they should buy

airbus has a design that’s almost exactly as old. the problem isn’t age it’s that the 737 design just couldn’t accommodate the new fuel-efficient engine and the airbus equivalent could, so Boeing slapped it on anyway rather than cede the midsized jet market to airbus and welp

if the design had been slightly different so that the engine could fit on without a redesign they’d never have done all the crap they did to try and make it work anyway.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

evilweasel posted:

airbus has a design that’s almost exactly as old. the problem isn’t age it’s that the 737 design just couldn’t accommodate the new fuel-efficient engine and the airbus equivalent could, so Boeing slapped it on anyway rather than cede the midsized jet market to airbus and welp

“almost exactly as old” is doing a lot of work there. it’s describing a gap of 20 years, and elides a giant difference in the engines the respective planes were originally designed for

737’s first flight was in 1967. like most 1960s jetliners it was designed for turbojets, comically narrow (and inefficient) by modern standards. it was updated in the 1980s for the cfm56 turbofan; that program was a success, but already stretched the limits of what could be done, and even so boeing had to settle for a reduced fan diameter version of the cfm56

a320’s first flight was 1987, and it was designed around the full diameter cfm56

the rest, we agree on: when even larger diameter turbofans needed to be installed, the a320 required reasonable tweaks, but the 737 ought to have been shitcanned in favor of a clean sheet design, drat the market share

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
the 737 was also designed when jet bridges were much rarer and so boarding an aircraft required stairs. The shorter height of the 737 facilitated that, and could accommodate the previously mentioned tiny engines.

It really is hard to overstate how old and outmoded the 737 design is.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fry's and micro center both do this

so does best buy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

El_Elegante posted:

the damage i cause by air travel is negated by the guilt i feel while doing so

:worship:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
hot take: Alaska Airlines is Not Good

Bankers forced them to take on Virgin America which neither side wanted, then they proceeded to throw out everything that Virgin did right, down to their uniforms (Banana Republic did actual clothing engineering on crew uniforms for VA, then they got a bridal gown designer with an asian name who Wasn't Vera Wang to do the new Alaska clothing and it apparently sucks). They also went from a 100% 737 fleet to now having to deal with Airbus, good job there.

Their gates in JFK were in the basement of the BA terminal somehow, and when I asked them to fill up my water bottle on a flight, they said "yeah we got an email about that… we can't do that any more…"

They want to be Southwest so bad but can't.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

if we’re doing airline stuff then, for anyone in Europe who flies regularly, I just want to recommend EasyJet Plus. i pay 200 quid a year for it and I get a front row seat every flight, free carry on, advance boarding ahead of the plebes, dedicated check in if I have hold bags, fast track security lane (which is worth the money alone during the summer when the airports are full of amateur flyers), and I can switch to an earlier flight free of charge. It basically makes EasyJet flights more agreeable and pleasant than a BA flight costing 10 times as much and is astonishingly good value

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

They also went from a 100% 737 fleet to now having to deal with Airbus, good job there.
Unless the 737 max can be saved, this is probably going to be unavoidable for any airline including Southwest now.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
a reminder that while Boeing was whining that making a clean-sheet successor to the 737 would cost too much, they spent over $40 bil on stock buybacks in the last 6 years. The entire 787 program cost around $30 bil, and a good chunk of that was just sheer incompetence at outsourcing.

also they're gonna try the oldest game in the book at re-branding
https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1150602370104975360

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

boeing 737-max body count

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jimmy Carter posted:

a reminder that while Boeing was whining that making a clean-sheet successor to the 737 would cost too much, they spent over $40 bil on stock buybacks in the last 6 years. The entire 787 program cost around $30 bil, and a good chunk of that was just sheer incompetence at outsourcing.

also they're gonna try the oldest game in the book at re-branding
https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1150602370104975360

lol

the perfect crime :discourse:

:capitalism:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the angle of that photo is just perfect in emphasizing how far forward they had to go to place the giant better moderns engines to avoid having to reclassify the airplane, and why even the best ~software solution~ would have been a nightmare to create even in a best possible world

drat

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

guillotines that remove the heads of executives quickly are a crime against the hundreds upon hundreds of lives lost so that some tycoon could add more money onto their already unfathomable mountain of wealth

the rustier and slower the better, imo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rumor is the naming scheme is going to be:

iPhone 11 for the XR equivalent
iPhone 11 Pro for the Xs equivalents

because lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm buying the Pro for Workstations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

iPhone 11 Pro Plus Max limited edition Red

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jal economy plus is the best time i’ve had on an airplane and i most certainly hate flying more than all of you

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

iPhone 11
PowerPhone 11

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

jal economy plus is the best time i’ve had on an airplane and i most certainly hate flying more than all of you

Lufthansa economy is the best. They just didn’t stop handing out free booze the one time I flew on them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

iPhones Pro

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I recently flew for the first time in like 5 years and with earplugs, noise canceling headphones, several airline bottles of booze, and an Apple® branded electronic device, it was fine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Lufthansa economy is the best. They just didn’t stop handing out free booze the one time I flew on them.

p. much every non-american carrier hands out free booze. they also have food that, while still being airline food, resembles actual food instead of "some meat-esque thing in brown sauce" that you seem to get no matter what you order on carriers like united

turkish is probably the best economy class food i've had

Aziz of Arabia
Jul 19, 2019

by R. Guyovich
what do airplanes have to do with Apple computer corporation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Aziz of Arabia posted:

you can use an apple brand credit card to buy airline tickets...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Aziz of Arabia posted:

what does anything have to do with anything?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

PowerPhone 11

hell yeah release the PowerPhone Tim

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ugh, yes, can we please stop having interesting chat about the deadly failures of another massive corporation and instead make fun of the stupid names of apples latest toy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how many lives must we lose to the touch bar before apple starts taking this seriously?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The_Franz posted:

p. much every non-american carrier hands out free booze. they also have food that, while still being airline food, resembles actual food instead of "some meat-esque thing in brown sauce" that you seem to get no matter what you order on carriers like united

turkish is probably the best economy class food i've had

every carrier offers better food and free booze in economy for international flights, including american ones.

Lufthansa, air italiana, klm, etc. all the major international carriers for each country have the same poo poo reputation for their domestic flights as delta/united/american

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

infernal machines posted:

how many lives must we lose to the touch bar before apple starts taking this seriously?

shocked to death by a short in the touch bar. thats how I want to die

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

Unless the 737 max can be saved, this is probably going to be unavoidable for any airline including Southwest now.

southwest is uniquely affected because their fleet is only 737s. no wide bodies, no puddle jumpers, no planes of any kind except 737 variants

other airlines may buy a lot of boeing, but they will be using a variety of boeing models. idk about foreign airlines, but the other three american airlines operate a mixture of everything boeing has made in the last 20 years: 717, 737, 757, 767, 777, 787, in addition to a variety of airbus models

not just variants of a single narrow-body aircraft design from the 1960s

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

using anything with a touch bar means you're cursed and already dead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

rumor is the naming scheme is going to be:

iPhone 11 for the XR equivalent
iPhone 11 Pro for the Xs equivalents

because lol