Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The new Last Podcast on the Left is on Howard Unruh, a WWII vet who left the house with a pistol the morning of September 6, 1949, and walked down a street in Camden, NJ, shooting 13 people — some intended targets, some just people who happened to be there. They cite the Pulitzer-Prize-winning article about it by Meyer Berger, which is some real good true crime writing.

Veteran Kills 12 in Mad Rampage on Camden Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stress, Suicide, and the Savannah College of Art and Design
How an art school in coastal Georgia is killing its students — and why no one is talking about it.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Jesus. One of my best friends went to SCAD and had a breakdown, then couldn’t return to photography til years later because the coursework was so traumatic. I didn’t know it was a systemic issue.

The linked article about the school’s troubled past is a pro-click as well. “Because of the body's location, and the blackened remnants of a cardigan sweater and wire-rim glasses, she immediately recognized the man as Juan Bertotto, an affable architecture professor at her school.”

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I should clarify that I went to MICA and my friends and I experienced a lot of similar things. MICA (as far as I know) hasn't covered up any suicides, (and i'm not aware of any successful suicides but i knew of two suicide attempts during the 3 years i attended) but the point still stands that art schools encourage extremely unhealthy behaviors in their students.

Kanine has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Aug 11, 2019

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Golden Gael posted:

I did, yeah! I'm finishing up another this weekend, glad you liked the Nagano story because it was so rich and yet surprisingly obscure for what it was.

I've subscribed! Hearty recommend to folks in the thread.

e: I had conflated your channel somehow with Lemmino who I also watched last night, but my recommendation stands:)

HopperUK has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Aug 11, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember deadlines being so bad that sometimes I'd have three different projects going between different boards, and "resting" was switching which one I was working on. People in my class would fall asleep, start crying, snap at people during crit. I think the attitude towards sleep really is the most dangerous thing because of how mentally and physically unhealthy it makes one to combine stress and no sleep.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kanine posted:

I should clarify that I went to MICA and my friends and I experienced a lot of similar things. MICA (as far as I know) hasn't covered up any suicides, (and i'm not aware of any successful suicides but i knew of two suicides during the 3 years i attended) but the point still stands that art schools encourage extremely unhealthy behaviors in their students.

Grad school also. Also had a friend commit suicide in medical residency.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There's someone in the article comments saying that the stress just is meant to prepare you for the reality of the field :v:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It pisses me off that someone in the comments of the SCAD article is defending the school on the basis of 'the industry is tough and it prepares you for life', as if having a job is the same thing as paying a school for an education and as if an attendance policy so strict a student can't get excused absences for chemotherapy is somehow going to help people bootstraps themselves up.

Besides that, sleep is really really important and if you're setting things up so students are running at a constant severe sleep deficit you're not actually effectively teaching them anything, since shockingly the brain needs to be functional in order to learn properly. I wonder how many of those suicides would have been prevented just by the students getting enough sleep?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Like I think it's fine for a school to push you but there's a difference between that and 'you'll never get enough sleep, you can't get excused absences for medically necessary procedures scheduled in advance so all your classes will drop you, and the mental health services are barebones enough to be effectively useless'. And if you can't get an excused absence for going to chemotherapy, I'm sure you can't get one for going to off-campus therapy, so like... with what time are students supposed to get mental health services, anyway?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've never run into a real-life conventional employment situation that was like medical residency, grad school, art school, or any of the other places where they get off on pretentious torture.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

Kanine posted:

I should clarify that I went to MICA and my friends and I experienced a lot of similar things. MICA (as far as I know) hasn't covered up any suicides, (and i'm not aware of any successful suicides but i knew of two suicides during the 3 years i attended) but the point still stands that art schools encourage extremely unhealthy behaviors in their students.

:ohdear: my niece is currently at MICA. she qualified for a bunch of scholarships, but money's still a worry, so she's doing all this extra stuff like being an RA and giving tours to the newbies and such to get more knocked off her tuition. she also works, of course, but is still carrying a pretty high GPA last i checked. thats a lot of pressure to put on a 19 year old.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There's been some talk lately about restricting the amount of hours people have to work before becoming full on doctors for similar reasons. Residencies and internships are notorious for running fresh grads through the grinder with the excuse of "well they need to know that sometimes things are busy and stressful and..." but nobody can keep up hours like that forever. It's also been proven that that sort of thing has led directly to medical errors that have at times even killed people. Turns out that rested people who aren't stressed out of their minds are better at everything they do. Amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's because they are getting professional quality work for pennies on the dollar, and they do not really care if anybody dies.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's been some talk lately about restricting the amount of hours people have to work before becoming full on doctors for similar reasons. Residencies and internships are notorious for running fresh grads through the grinder with the excuse of "well they need to know that sometimes things are busy and stressful and..." but nobody can keep up hours like that forever. It's also been proven that that sort of thing has led directly to medical errors that have at times even killed people. Turns out that rested people who aren't stressed out of their minds are better at everything they do. Amazing.

The idea that I could be operated on by someone who would fall asleep behind the wheel is so, so frightening. It already takes me a lot of mental effort to be okay with another ape poking around in my inner ape-parts.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's cool how I saw some replies to the SCAD article on social media going "boohoo poor little art students, drawing isnt hard, try doing a real degree in stem" jesus loving christ

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

It's because they are getting professional quality work for pennies on the dollar, and they do not really care if anybody dies.

Actually it’s free for them. At worst employment and salary costs are a break even proposition.

Every medical trainee, with rare exceptions, has a grant attached to them paid for by Medicare that goes to the sponsoring institution. Something like 120k a year, about twice the average resident salary.

80 hours a week is the legal maximum, but only for interns. God help you if you log your hours Honestly. Day 1 of internship I tell my interns that their hours need to be Correct (no violations) and not Honest (with violations), otherwise administration will be on them and they’ll be in deep poo poo. One of my interns didn’t listen and got called up to admin and accused of being incompetent/can’t handle the workload/do we need to take corrective measures sort of thing.

It’s disgusting, but the stakes are incredibly high - I’ve got 6 figures of debt to worry about and getting in trouble during residency can easily kill your career. There’s a huge incentive to go full mouth-shut and head-down just to get it over with.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kanine posted:

It's cool how I saw some replies to the SCAD article on social media going "boohoo poor little art students, drawing isnt hard, try doing a real degree in stem" jesus loving christ

I have an art degree and a CS degree.

The art degree took more time and effort to earn with way more absurdly late nights.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rhandhali posted:

Actually it’s free for them. At worst employment and salary costs are a break even proposition.

Every medical trainee, with rare exceptions, has a grant attached to them paid for by Medicare that goes to the sponsoring institution. Something like 120k a year, about twice the average resident salary.

80 hours a week is the legal maximum, but only for interns. God help you if you log your hours Honestly. Day 1 of internship I tell my interns that their hours need to be Correct (no violations) and not Honest (with violations), otherwise administration will be on them and they’ll be in deep poo poo. One of my interns didn’t listen and got called up to admin and accused of being incompetent/can’t handle the workload/do we need to take corrective measures sort of thing.

It’s disgusting, but the stakes are incredibly high - I’ve got 6 figures of debt to worry about and getting in trouble during residency can easily kill your career. There’s a huge incentive to go full mouth-shut and head-down just to get it over with.

That is very interesting information and thank you for sharing it.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

aphid_licker posted:

There's someone in the article comments saying that the stress just is meant to prepare you for the reality of the field :v:

...the field full of people traumatized by the stress of training in school :-/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kanine posted:

I worked so long and hard in grad school I broke the top enamel off of all my teeth so they were chipped and sharp and even then it's like whew, at least I wasn't in art school.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pick posted:

:capitalism:

Kanine posted:

STEM grads are some of the most delusional idiots that I’ve had the displeasure of interacting with.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

STEM grads are some of the most delusional idiots that I’ve had the displeasure of interacting with.

I was in STEM and it sucked big-time. Worst egos from the shittiest people I've ever met.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

drat, I dated a girl that went to SCAD Atlanta around 2007, we took a few trips down to Savannah around that time. That's insane. I have a good friend who was attending the Atlanta College of Art before it was bought out by SCAD, he dropped out after the acquisition, I guess it was for the best

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Aug 11, 2019

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

i went to SCAD and i had my share of breakdowns there. it operates on a Quarter-based system rather than a Semester-based system, so basically every class is "crunch time", every assignment is worth a lot more of your grade and there's way less time to actually learn how to do things before the project you'll be graded on is due. IMO the only way to truly succeed is to already be a professional-level artist before you even apply, so the only point of actually attending the school is networking and the degree you get afterwards. i'm a Poor so i was trying to work part time while attending which was not remotely viable if you want to both pass your classes and get some sleep at night, but it was either that or literally not being able to afford to eat so

no art school should operate on a quarter based system imo it's laughably ineffectual

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cosmo sex tip posted:

i went to SCAD and i had my share of breakdowns there. it operates on a Quarter-based system rather than a Semester-based system, so basically every class is "crunch time", every assignment is worth a lot more of your grade and there's way less time to actually learn how to do things before the project you'll be graded on is due. IMO the only way to truly succeed is to already be a professional-level artist before you even apply, so the only point of actually attending the school is networking and the degree you get afterwards. i'm a Poor so i was trying to work part time while attending which was not remotely viable if you want to both pass your classes and get some sleep at night, but it was either that or literally not being able to afford to eat so

no art school should operate on a quarter based system imo it's laughably ineffectual

But it's not a school. It's a business with the classes being the product.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Inceltown posted:

But it's not a school. It's a business with the classes being the product.

oh for sure. it was a decade ago for me but if i could take it all back and go to a state school instead i'd do it in a heartbeat. it's still mostly a scam that leaves you in debt for life but like... at least you'll get a useful degree and probably a better education out of it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cosmo sex tip posted:

I will never, ever understand people that take it as a point of pride when they worked through college. I had what amounted to a full time job my first two years. I think back on it with thoughts like "how the gently caress did I actually survive that?" and "I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy." It was awful. Props to anybody else that can work and school at the same time but my response to people that are all like "lol why don't the poors just work through school?" is "I was a poor that did that and nobody should have to do that." Getting through school after quitting that job was pretty tight but scrimping, saving, and living as cheaply as possible on grants and what have you was infinitely better than trying to balance school and a job.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I will never, ever understand people that take it as a point of pride when they worked through college. I had what amounted to a full time job my first two years. I think back on it with thoughts like "how the gently caress did I actually survive that?" and "I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy." It was awful. Props to anybody else that can work and school at the same time but my response to people that are all like "lol why don't the poors just work through school?" is "I was a poor that did that and nobody should have to do that." Getting through school after quitting that job was pretty tight but scrimping, saving, and living as cheaply as possible on grants and what have you was infinitely better than trying to balance school and a job.

anyone that gets through a bad situation, and slams the door behind them is a loving rear end in a top hat

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kanine posted:

anyone that gets through a bad situation, and slams the door behind them is a loving rear end in a top hat

"Why should *I* have to pay taxes so that other people's children can go to middle school? My father worked hard owning a factory to pay to send me to school, and his father only got a 6th grade education and his life was just fine. Besides, if we provide universal middle school, there will be a critical shortage of chimneysweeps and bootblacks, which will be detrimental to the economy"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This problem is exacerbated cuz people say, my parents' age (gently caress YOU DAD) tend to not realize how us millenials are making less money while being required to pay more.

"I paid my way through a bachelor's by mowing lawns every summer" lol right lemme just make below minimum wage for 2.5 months and then I won't have to worry about tuition or you know, living expenses for the other 10 months.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

yeah same honestly. all the money i made went to living expenses/school supplies anyway and the only result was that i had zero downtime. it was genuinely school, work, homework, repeat. if there was any downtime it was used by getting a few hours of sleep. art school is worthless if you're not making social connections and i did none of that because i was working the entire time and was so broke i was practically starving.

no exaggeration there was a point my junior year where i was living on literally 1 baked potato a day, that went on about two weeks before i had a complete emotional breakdown in the street lmao. i have a permanent bald spot due to how much hair i pulled out from stress

don't go to for-profit art school kids it's not worth it

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

I've never run into a real-life conventional employment situation that was like medical residency, grad school, art school, or any of the other places where they get off on pretentious torture.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crab Fishing. Thats basically it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
And from what I've heard, they at least realize that it's only possible with meth and for a relatively short time.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
throw law schools on the pile of lovely educational industries that produce more burn out, mental illness and substance abuse than they do useful graduates.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

cosmo sex tip posted:

no exaggeration there was a point my junior year where i was living on literally 1 baked potato a day

A couple of years ago I read this great article about an unheard of number of cases of scurvy in California. It was seriously creepy, so many cases, in average twenty year olds, right in the middle of L.A..
long story short, it turned out they were all med school students who could only afford/had time to eat at the same lovely hot dog place.
ordinary young people, working and studying all the time, some surviving on a a loving hotdog a day for months (at 50 cents a piece so probably not a great dog), until teeth started falling out.

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting
It's always horrifying learning that the medical education is broken pretty much everywhere.

When I was an intern (in mexico) we had to do "night guards" every third day. We would work 36 hours + extra time depending on your rotating service (internal medicine loved doing expositions and classes, so we were out at 6, and surgery was pretty much operating all day, sometimes finishing the day at 7ish).

Pretty much every night guard was a skeleton team with 3 residents and an intern that were all hungry, tired and sleep deprived, but loving something up (a note, a class, or not reading up a new article) would get you punished and get you another night guard, which would in turn become a vicious cycle.

There was one ortho resident who basically resigned himself to living his whole first year inside the resident quarters since most of his higher ups liked to gently caress with him and punish him for any single detail.

I saw a lot of breakdowns, and they would be pretty much be ignored by the education staff since, "thats real life" and "if you cant handle stress you aren't cut out to be a doctor".

Last I heard, the night guards were now every fourth day, which sounds a bit better, but our health education system should get a whole revamp considering how stressful it is for a 23 year old thats integral for a hospital to function correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first woman featured in his show, about women doing time, is Holly. She is an LGBTQ+ woman who when she was just a teen, was involved with her abusive foster father; eventually leading to robbing two liquor stores and the FFather shoots the clerks dead while she kind of watches him fearfully that he was going to kill her next. Her origins are really hosed up, and the stuff about having to go to court/prison for simply being a teen sex slave hostage repeatedly. Even at the end, her last words to the camera are "Im sorry" and after all the horrible things she is put through, shes still apologzing to a world that let her down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KdZBeWSZg