Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Kerrow posted:

Speaking of gliding..

Ural Airlines A321 ditched into a cornfield after birdstrike on takeoff

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1161887696790458368

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1161892508252692480

It’s amazing that we all have the technology to see video of a plane crash in another country from inside the plane.

Pilot seemed to do a good job, considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

It’s amazing that we all have the technology to see video of a plane crash in another country from inside the plane.

Yeah that looked loving pro, weird that there were no announcements to brace or anything.

From the video it looked like it only took 3-4 seconds to come to a stop. I wonder how much speed they were able to bleed off before hitting?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah that looked loving pro, weird that there were no announcements to brace or anything.

From the video it looked like it only took 3-4 seconds to come to a stop. I wonder how much speed they were able to bleed off before hitting?

Soft farm soil and corn stalks are basically an arrestment device

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
RAAF C-17 buzzes Perisher ski resort

https://i.imgur.com/1ygfBJJ.mp4

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 15, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
So they made a A317

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

CarForumPoster posted:

I wonder how many of the injured passengers were filming instead of bracing. I would have hoped there’d be some announcement- maybe prior to this video starting? Or maybe just Russia says figure it out, passenger.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kerrow posted:

Speaking of gliding..

Ural Airlines A321 ditched into a cornfield after birdstrike on takeoff

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1161887696790458368

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/status/1161892508252692480

Sullinski? Sullinov? I'm workshopping here

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO

Jealous Cow posted:

Judging from the distance between the last road and the small structure they go past at 0:21 being about 510 meters and taking them 6 seconds, that puts them around 165 knots 8 seconds before impact.

e:

Kerrow fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 15, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I wonder how many of the injured passengers were filming instead of bracing. I would have hoped there’d be some announcement- maybe prior to this video starting? Or maybe just Russia says figure it out, passenger.

My first thought. I'm driving a car headed to a telephone pole. "Hey honey, take some footage."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

drunkill posted:

RAAF C-17 buzzes Perisher ski resort

https://i.imgur.com/1ygfBJJ.mp4

I know I'm in the extreme minority but; More than 1 meters distance, not impressed. If something isn't on fire at the end I'm not satisfied :arghfist::downs:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kerrow posted:

Judging from the distance between the last road and the small structure they go past at 0:21 being about 510 meters and taking them 6 seconds, that puts them around 165 knots 8 seconds before impact.

Assuming uniform deceleration (no idea how terrible that is) that’s a bit over 1.4g “eyes out”. That would’ve been... interesting to experience.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Assuming uniform deceleration (no idea how terrible that is) that’s a bit over 1.4g “eyes out”. That would’ve been... interesting to experience.

That's in the ballpark of a fast sports car on a race track braking. With just a lap belt you'd probably smack your head on the seat in front, but you could easily brace yourself against it if you were a fit adult. Children or the elderly would have a harder time, but they'd have plenty of time to recover while they waited for someone from the airline to show up and get them off the aircraft.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

That's in the ballpark of a fast sports car on a race track braking. With just a lap belt you'd probably smack your head on the seat in front, but you could easily brace yourself against it if you were a fit adult. Children or the elderly would have a harder time, but they'd have plenty of time to recover while they waited for someone from the airline to show up and get them off the aircraft.

The videographer managed to hold on to their phone through it so it was probably pretty smooth. (My phone went flying that time I was in a plane crash.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

Soft farm soil and corn stalks are basically an arrestment device

The PHAK literally says that a field of mature corn will apply the same deceleration to an aircraft wings as a runway emergency arresting net, yep

They probably learned that from experience

e: sorry, the AFH, my bad

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 15, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Upper: 707

Lower: Convair 580

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/sGuGfmL.mp4

Inacio posted:

This one is real:

Transavia PL‐12 Airtruk

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Inacio posted:

See also the LAK Genesis 2:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAK_Genesis_2

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

planes crashin all over errywhere

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1162103618889297933

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

turn left dale noooooo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

left traffic dale noooooo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrChips posted:

turn left dale noooooo

pull up dale noooooo

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Platystemon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/sGuGfmL.mp4

This one is real:

Transavia PL‐12 Airtruk

This the Mad Max Thunderdome plane?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the air force planes emit chemtrails at ~36000ft which is horrible but we forgot about that one dick down the road who literally sprayed highway 69420 with organophosphates

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've seen a similar stunt performed. It was on I-5, Central Valley, California. We were on a stretch that was 3-4 lanes each way, with a dirt divider of 50-75 between north and southbound traffic. We'd been watching this light plane doing fancy turns and generally trying to freak out whoever was in the passenger seat. Then the pilot goes for the big number to end the show. He takes the plane under the utility lines at the outside of the freeway, under BOTH sides. He missed clipping an 18-wheeler's cab by at most 50', probably less but it was 40 years ago and happened very quickly. We were also a couple of lanes over and behind the truck which makes it even hard to judge. Way too loving close by any estimate.

And that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen someone do with a plane IRL.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

He's based at my airport. I see that plane every couple of days. We knew of the incident within minutes of the event. Good to know everyone was safe.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/dispatchug/status/1162358412887384066

Wildebeests and aircraft don't mix

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Just imagine those pilots and the ones from the Ural Air flight earlier one upping each other.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but who gets to eat the wildebeest?

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but who gets to eat the wildebeest?

Nobody, game meat is illegal in Kenya.

I used to live just a few KM south of that airstrip. It's not a surprise that they'd hit wildlife, but it's odd they'd be wildebeest. They're not the type to just dart out on to the runway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gonna need a gnu aircraft.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

St_Ides posted:

Nobody, game meat is illegal in Kenya.

I used to live just a few KM south of that airstrip. It's not a surprise that they'd hit wildlife, but it's odd they'd be wildebeest. They're not the type to just dart out on to the runway.

So what you’re saying is that it’s lions.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

So what you’re saying is that it’s lions.

Too many humans for lions to bother going there right now. The Great Migration is in full force (hence the wildeys being there in the first place) so the lions are likely so full of food, they won't bother. Hyenas are possible, but they'd rather have fresh their own fresh kills during migration.

Most likely the jackals and vultures will strip it, or it'll rot.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

St_Ides posted:

Most likely the jackals and vultures will strip it, or it'll rot.

Can't they at least save the engines and avionics?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I know that bird strikes can be an issue, but do you know how to deal with an air mattress migration?

Found in the schadenfreude thread.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I think I've found some excellent AI, subsection Engines

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:drat:

Thats some fun engines

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Gonna need a gnu aircraft.

I appreciated this, friend.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Can't they at least save the engines and avionics?

The funny thing is how much stuff gets stolen from the balloon operations and where it shows up. Uprights (removable plastic poles that hold the burner frame above the basket) make the best Maasai rungu (a club like thing that also shows others your status in the community). We've lost entire balloon systems in the river, and we're convinced that the walls of the basket got turned in to the walls of a local house.

That airstrip is far enough out of the way that there won't be random people just walking by to strip it. But I'm sure they'll have someone guarding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

loving acronyms.
INS
INR
IRU
ERS
One of these is not the same as the others.