Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Serisouly is there anyway to further increase FOV in first person? Or decrease pop in, I know my comp can handle it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I almost died on the hazardous starting planet but I was more annoyed that the second planet, where I had to build my first base, was also hazardous and just generally ugly. The base building tutorial went on forever with adding new stuff and the whole time I was like "but I just wanna get out of here".

Can I build multiple bases or if I build a new base computer on another planet does it move my main base? I don't have to go back and deconstruct the old base or anything right? This is usually around the point where I would drop the game in previous updates but I'm determined to carry on a bit more this time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

fuf posted:

I almost died on the hazardous starting planet but I was more annoyed that the second planet, where I had to build my first base, was also hazardous and just generally ugly. The base building tutorial went on forever with adding new stuff and the whole time I was like "but I just wanna get out of here".

Can I build multiple bases or if I build a new base computer on another planet does it move my main base? I don't have to go back and deconstruct the old base or anything right? This is usually around the point where I would drop the game in previous updates but I'm determined to carry on a bit more this time.

You can build as many as you like, or at least a pretty large number of them. It's a little more of a hassle now that portals need to be powered to work, but you can teleport to them even if they don't have a working portal (or a portal at all)

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I just tried the game out for the first time today using the PSVR headset on my PS4 Pro. I typically enjoy space sim games, even ones that most people would consider boring or devoid of content, but I gave No Man's Sky a pass when it came out due in no small part to all the bad press surrounding its release. However, in the years leading up to Beyond, I got my PSVR and PS4 Pro and I've been anxious to use it in a space sim game since apparently you can't get Elite Dangerous to run on it. :(

I made it up to the part where the base building tutorial began before taking a break because the PSVR headset is the kind of thing I can't wear for more than an hour before wanting to take it off for a while. So far, I'm intrigued. The crafting system is a little intimidating and I found all the long journeys I needed to take to find all the raw materials for it rather cumbersome. I prefer exploring using smooth controls, but I'm thinking I might have to switch to teleport because it seems like a slightly quicker method of getting around. However, once I finally repaired my ship and blasted off in to space I started enjoying myself. Sadly, almost as soon as I took off the game wanted me to land again so it could teach me more things on the ground, but I'm willing to stick it out a little longer just as long as there are more space travel for me to do afterwards.

The game runs fine on the PSVR even though textures do look pretty low res even at medium distances. It's not like I was expecting something super sharp from the PSVR considering my experiences with the thing suggests you can only expect really sharp images from it on games with a minimalist approach to graphics such as Rez or Polybius, but I was hoping for something a little less fuzzy. Still, I'm just happy to have another game to play with using the headset.

That's all for now. I'm only an hour in, but thankfully the weekend is almost upon us and once that happens I'll have far more time to experience it more fully.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone have a fix for failing to launch on steam? just closes out at the hello games screen

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I just picked this up and followed we of the steps to make it run smoother in VR before launching the first time. Wouldn't say it runs great but it's certainly playable on my ryzen 1700 and 1080ti. I was a little confused about the opening part and died pretty quick but that was partly due to my touch batteries apparently dying at the same time (which was odd since I haven't used my rift in a while but I digress). I didn't mind the hazard planets I spawned on and it certainly have me a reason to get my rear end in gear and figure out the game mechanics quickly. Stopped right at the start of the base building tutorial. It out me on another hazard planet with a bunch of short palm looking trees hopping around. Performance could be a bit better, the ship flight mechanics aren't great either (no idea how to roll yet) but overall seems like a pretty good time. Landing on a planet and watching 15-20 trees and jellyfish looking aliens hop around was certainly interesting. Not a fan of the snap turning and vision reduction while in motion though, and I can't find any way to switch those options. I was lucky enough to have an iron stomach in VR and I'd like to take advantage of that.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 15, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't even know there were safe planets. I just assumed every planet had its own kinds of hazards to deal with. I spawned on a corrosive planet first and had trouble figuring out what I was supposed to even do. Then I died. I started a new game, spawned on a new corrosive planet and figured out what the tutorial was an haven't had any issues since. Though maybe it would be better to have a forced quest pop up the first time the player lands on a hazardous planet telling them what it is and what material to get to deal with it.

I haven't tried VR yet, maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I've mostly just been ticking off quests and seeing what new things are there. The new anomaly station is pretty cool.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

It's also a particularly cool-looking glitch type:

Sad to see the game bug out like this. Should report it on the forums.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

cheesetriangles posted:

Sad to see the game bug out like this. Should report it on the forums.

lol

also, it's cool to see NPCs walking around out and about, even outdoors. Also cool to actually be able to understand them now that I can select basic words to learn

The stats on this ship suck but I bought it because it's so L O N G

edit: the flora and fauna statistics are meaningless but they're still worth a read imo

given that this "plant" is a levitating rock sprouting a beam of light I think I'll pass on consuming it

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 15, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyarb posted:

Serisouly is there anyway to further increase FOV in first person? Or decrease pop in, I know my comp can handle it...

I believe there were mods at some point to remove all of the pop-in in the early versions of the game that looked like poo poo. I'm sure there's going to be something like that for this build.

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...
Spent about 2 hours on PS4 Pro + VR yesterday. Very positive; though had to tweak things and switch off teleporting (yuk). No crashes, but one or two odd glitches.

I have a previous (big) save and I'm weighing up the odds between starting again (and grinding open all of my slots, 300mil and sweet mods) or using the old save. Old save has a bug where I never got the Artemis quest, but at 139 hours - I hardly want to bin it.

I wish you could restart certain story lines; namely the base building ones and Artemis.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

DaveKap posted:

That said, I agree that patching out the ship generation progression was a stupid move, but it happened before the current update.
Progression/level tracking stuff like that is just as bad though. You want to see awesome ships and multi tools and whatnot to spur you on, you just need to find interesting ways to block it off.

The best way to do it is either put more valuable things in riskier planets/systems where lower level players can’t survive or have those sorts of things lying around wherever but just have them be guarded by sentinels/NPCs/tech that low level players would get obliterated by.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The planet I need to build my base on is relatively fine, but inhabited by this gigantic rear end in a top hat, which scares me to no end.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

5er posted:

Here's my quick 'oh poo poo, a new update, let's reinstall and see if it's any better' story.

I started a 'normal' game. Even with an i9 PC with an M.2 SSD and an install of Win10 that's less than a week old, loading still took two minutes.
When you first install the game (and after certain major updates, such as the one that just hit) it compiles shaders on first launch, which takes a couple minutes. From then on, it takes a few seconds to start the game up.

Fayez Butts posted:

There might also be a resolution scaling feature in the graphics options that would say like 75% or something.
I may be mis-remembering but at launch someone had to make a mod to get the internal resolution up to 100% so that's likely still an issue. There are a ton of bugs in the PC release that have been around since the game launched and it's not surprising this would be one of them. Hello Games seems to shove a lot of low-priority bug reports into the trash.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 15, 2019

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

chaosapiant posted:

Someone up-thread mentioned the game looked "low-resolution". I'm having a similar issue, despite the resolution being set to 2560x1080 in game. My guess is that the game has an "internal resolution" that has been knocked down a few multipliers because VR performance. Even though I'm not using VR. That should be a fairly easy thing to fix.

I selected all the "don't scale stuff" on the compatibility part of the executable options of win 10. I'm not sure if its placebo effect, but I feel like it helped. Also, steam people, unlock the experimental branch, they have been putting the latest fixes in there. the code is "3xperimental"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A new bug patch came out tonight, I am now able to share videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PtiKSg7ug

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

I just picked this up and followed we of the steps to make it run smoother in VR before launching the first time.

What are those?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Oceanbound posted:

The planet I need to build my base on is relatively fine, but inhabited by this gigantic rear end in a top hat, which scares me to no end.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Steve Yun posted:

A new bug patch came out tonight, I am now able to share videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PtiKSg7ug

:nice:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m staying away from VR for now until they fix/address some of the glaring poo poo. Especially the UI. That said for a first attempt it’s ok and given all the work they’ve done I’m sure they’ll eventually unfuck this as well.

The QoL changes are real loving good and I’m looking forward to playing again. Maybe I’ll get through all the early poo poo and get me some ships / freighter / frigates then switch to VR when I want to explore or build on a planet.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
lol at everybody getting hosed over in new game tutorial

I started a new game because of VR, so I was a little slow getting things done. Like everybody else, I started on a planet with hazardous weather, but was able to get my poo poo together before dying on the planet. What did get me was flying my jalopy of a ship to another planet, depleting my resources, and learning the new base building mechanics. Of course this planet also has hazardous weather AND vicious creatures. I couldn't focus on anything very well because I kept having to run or fight off those mean fauna. My mining beam almost out of energy at 8%, I'm about to get cooked because heat shields were about to fail, and finally an aggressive creature attacked and killed me.

I was visibly irritated at the situation I was put in, but eh, poo poo happens. Reminds me of first starting out Terraria, I didn't know anything and kept dying from zombies and slimes while trying to find resources and figure out how to craft necessary stuff.

edit: Going to list some quality of life fixes for VR I hope that might get looked into

-Accessing inventory, quick menu, and swapping weapons is a little slow because we have to take one hand and point at the wrist of the other. This would be okay, if the process was a little more responsive. Right now it's a little slow because I'm having to aim just right at the right distance before the options appear.

-Flight control is a little uncomfortable for me because I feel like I'm having to stretch my arms out more than I should to use throttle and joystick.

-Compass in spaceship is way too high to be of any use, it has got to be lowered more, especially when combating pirates.

-When using smooth locomotion and moving forward (need to use right thumbstick on Index), your left hand also needs to be out in front of you a little bit or else locomotion goes wonkers. This is a little annoying because maybe I want to relax my left arm for a little bit while moving around or maybe I want to access my visor while on the move.

-Accessing dropped cargo containers, machinery, terminals and is a little slow and annoying. This is because with Index controller, you have to move right hand towards the object, grip controller (Index), then pull back to access objects. This in itself would normally be okay, but getting to the point where the game recognizes that you are going to initiate accessing the object is crap. Sometimes I have to move around that portable refiner a bit before while waving around my right hand before it recognizes that I'm about to access it. This happens with all objects.

-The playable area with your headset is too small. Even though I have about a 8ft x 8ft play area, the game only allows about an arm spans worth. So if you lean in any direction too much, game will freak out and prompt a message to you. If the game won't allow us to get up and walk around in this manner, it's fine, but we need a little more wiggle room than what they currently give us.

ijii fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 15, 2019

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Ugh. Hyperdrive takes too long as it is, but when the game bugs out and your wormhole never ends it's so much worse.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bedurndurn posted:

when the game bugs out and your wormhole never ends it's so much worse.

Title please

Crossposting from the VR thread:

Songbearer posted:

Played about 3 hours of NMS VR in multiplayer and had a great time. After the standard VR Fumbling Moment where you try to figure out how to use the interface I got in my ship and visited my friends base and exploring planets is every bit as awesome as I hoped it would be.

I visited my base I made on the flatscreen years ago because I liked the area overlooking a huge trench and man was that awesome to see in VR. I think it'd be super cool to use the desktop screens on the Rift and watch some movies on a verdant garden planet like it was a open door theatre.

There's no option for head turn direction control which is annoying, it wants you to use snap turn or smooth turning instead which I never enjoy doing. I much prefer to physically turn my body, but at least with front facing I can have my chair behind me and sit in it when I get in an exocraft or a ship. I love how you have to open the canopy to get out and how pretty the interiors are.

People on the flat get to see you move your arms etc but from what I've heard the avatars are a complete mess and also their position for the multitools are bugged to sin, but freaking out your friends by rubbing their faces is still a good laugh and blasting around the planet on an exocraft is exhilarating.

My PC is fairly beefy (8700k, 2080, 16gb RAM) so no real performance issues except some ASW on the initial load.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
re: Hazardous weather

There's probably not a single planet I've been on that doesn't have that. Really only the frequency of it changes. IMO that's loving annoying when you want just chilly scooting around alien worlds in VR.

ragzilla posted:

The menu only pops if you have your multitool out (it's the multitool menu not a glove menu).
I suppose it'll only tell you in the tutorial to scratch your head to pop out the multitool, because the guide doesn't, and IMO it's not intuitively discoverable.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

How are you guys finding ships distress beacons after the update? I've been trading nav data everywhere and all I get is ruins.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose it'll only tell you in the tutorial to scratch your head to pop out the multitool, because the guide doesn't, and IMO it's not intuitively discoverable.

It's in the tutorial (and pops a persistent window in the bottom right of the viewport to remind you when you need it during the tutorial). Were you starting a new game or continuing old? Seems like a bit of a flaw in the returning player experience for VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Songbearer posted:

Title please

Crossposting from the VR thread:

My pc is also fairly beefy (R5 2600x, 1080ti, 24GB) and the game runs constantly at 45fps with ASW on, I already did the decoupling of my HMD from my 60hz monitor dance. Any other tips or things you did to get good performance, since our PCs on paper should be pretty similar? Are you superscaling at all?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I solved a situation where my buddy and I ran into some 100% repeatable crashes and a few "holes" in some floors of the station near the weapon trader.

If you go to %APPDATA%\HelloGames\NMS, there will be user folders for saves. Inside the latest one (I had others, but I had old saves), delete the cache folder. I couldn't see any way to delete the game's cache from a menu, and this was a fresh install of the game AND I deleted all my old saves before starting fresh before all this happened (about 4 hours in).

We both were able to crash our games at the same places and had no issues right up until we suddenly did. After clearing the cache folder and letting it rebuild, it's been fine.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Combat Pretzel posted:

re: Hazardous weather

There's probably not a single planet I've been on that doesn't have that. Really only the frequency of it changes. IMO that's loving annoying when you want just chilly scooting around alien worlds in VR.

The worst is when you find a beautiful peaceful planet and get all comfortable then suddenly DEADLY FIRE STORM

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone have a fix for failing to launch on steam? just closes out at the hello games screen

If you haven't already, manually delete all the files in your game's folder, then verify cache integrity so it re-downloads them. This will make sure you don't have an old settings file or mod somewhere in the folders that is now incompatible with the game.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My pc is also fairly beefy (R5 2600x, 1080ti, 24GB) and the game runs constantly at 45fps with ASW on, I already did the decoupling of my HMD from my 60hz monitor dance. Any other tips or things you did to get good performance, since our PCs on paper should be pretty similar? Are you superscaling at all?

I'm getting similar performance, someone else on reddit with a 1080 was also reporting 45fps. Can you elaborate on the decoupling HMD from monitor refresh? What's your primary display, 4k/60hz?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
anyone know how long the tutorial is? I just did the anomaly quest where you gotta talk to everyone in it I'm trying to play with friends but I keep getting quest I guess from the main storyline. Is there a part where it just cuts me loose?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Updating your video card drivers can help. It worked for me at least.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Pigbottom posted:

How are you guys finding ships distress beacons after the update? I've been trading nav data everywhere and all I get is ruins.

Not through nav data, but from the towers with the minigames (and then it's sort of rng?). Might be easier to do with the signal booster

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ragzilla posted:

I'm getting similar performance, someone else on reddit with a 1080 was also reporting 45fps. Can you elaborate on the decoupling HMD from monitor refresh? What's your primary display, 4k/60hz?

My primary display is 1080P/60

If you have an nvidia card, go into the nvidia control panel and turn off V-sync, then it will decouple

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ragzilla posted:

It's in the tutorial (and pops a persistent window in the bottom right of the viewport to remind you when you need it during the tutorial). Were you starting a new game or continuing old? Seems like a bit of a flaw in the returning player experience for VR.
Old savegame.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Dackel posted:

Not through nav data, but from the towers with the minigames (and then it's sort of rng?). Might be easier to do with the signal booster

cool, I'm going to try that thanks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also, when the tutorial sends you to the next planet to build your first base, once you get the base computer tech from the wreck, you can take off and make your base on any other planet in the system if you want I believe.

Sadly you need to build the base somewhere in the first system before you get the parts you need to use your jump drive, but at least you have some leeway. I got lucky in my first planet being radioactive but also plentiful in resources, the second one I stopped at for the base building is a hot fire storm planet but also with much less resources. It does seem to have a crap ton more of the Knowledge Stones though.

This save I started the day before the Beyond update so I might start another just to see if anything changed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not to mention once you build your "tutorial base" you can just disassemble it and take it all with you again so nothing is lost. Then you have those components to setup on a planet you really like. Speaking of which, this thread is lacking in screenshots from screenshot simulator game. I'm at work and wish to be entertained, please post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sekenr posted:

What are those?

Disable v-sync in your graphics card options before starting the game, set the in game frame rate to your hmd refresh rate, turn down the resolution (I think the explanation is they screwed up the implementation and it's doing per eye or something).