Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The only people who get married in North Cagillacky are cousins. :banjo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The only people who get married in North Cagillacky are cousins. :banjo:

Does being inbred classifiy as a disability in the US?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Does being inbred classifiy as a disability in the US?

Not according to Steve King.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008
I'd love to have pets in the office, but if I touch something a dog has recently touched and then touch my face my eyes will be dried out and I'll be sneezing all day. :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I know that the tipping point hasn’t fully happened yet but make sure y’all are positioning yourself appropriately for any sort of recession that may or may not hit in the next year or so.

Get your financial and mental health in a good place.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

GreenNight posted:

Not according to Steve King.
As much of an rear end in a top hat as that man is, I understood broadly what he was saying, but my god that guy doesn't know how to make a point. In fact, I'm not even sure what his point was. There's incest in every family tree? What, you want a cookie for figuring that out? Does this make incest good? What is your point, Steve King??

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

I know that the tipping point hasn’t fully happened yet but make sure y’all are positioning yourself appropriately for any sort of recession that may or may not hit in the next year or so.

Welp, I’d be hosed both ways.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I am super curious about this.

Hells of sorry about the delayed response. They were trying to add an export line to some directory structure that didn't exist, to make it easier to run an older version of python they were told not to use. Because they are just that fuckin stupid.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

So is the appropriate course of action to move to a higher paying job while the economy is still hot or burrow into the low paying cushy job you can't get fired from?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

cheque_some posted:

So is the appropriate course of action to move to a higher paying job while the economy is still hot or burrow into the low paying cushy job you can't get fired from?

There is no right answer. You are rolling the dice either way. Just live your life and use this as an excuse to not make risky purchases.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Spend the money paying off my house. If I do it right I could be debt and mortgage free in 5 years.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
This should be a good reminder to everyone to always have like 6 months to a year of expenses saved up. Even if you gotta eat ramen now to make it happen, it's easier to stock up during the good times than try to work out how to survive in the bad.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
hmmmmmmm hey bossman what does it mean when you've had to cancel three daily stand-ups because everyone's too fuckin' busy to come to the daily stand-ups and the board is stale because everyone's too busy doing actual work with our existing ticket system and work order system to play cards?

does it mean that the whole agile/kanban for admin/security/tech channels thing isn't working out

because i think it means that

tune in at 11 for a detailed report

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Exit Strategy posted:

hmmmmmmm hey bossman what does it mean when you've had to cancel three daily stand-ups because everyone's too fuckin' busy to come to the daily stand-ups and the board is stale because everyone's too busy doing actual work with our existing ticket system and work order system to play cards?

does it mean that the whole agile/kanban for admin/security/tech channels thing isn't working out

because i think it means that

tune in at 11 for a detailed report

Out of curiosity, what do your standups look like? 15 minutes long with each person quickly going through what they finished, what they're working on and where they're stuck?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Out of curiosity, what do your standups look like? 15 minutes long with each person quickly going through what they finished, what they're working on and where they're stuck?

Half an hour long while the boss asks rhetorical questions into dead air on a Teams meeting and everyone busies themselves doing actual work since it's a "stand-up" meeting across seven office buildings in five countries and four timezones worldwide.

Again, I'm not against Agile or Kanban. This, though? This is something that LOOKS like Agile/Kanban but is really just make-work in a situation where there's already too much work.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 16, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

Half an hour long while the boss asks rhetorical questions into dead air on a Teams meeting and everyone busies themselves doing actual work since it's a "stand-up" meeting across seven office buildings in five countries and four timezones worldwide.

That's not a standup. That's a meeting.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not a standup. That's a meeting.

It's in my calendar as "EU/NA/SPac Agile/Kanban Stand-Up Meeting" every morning at 10:30 EDT. You know it's not a standup. I know it's not a standup.

My boss thinks it's a standup.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

It's in my calendar as "EU/NA/SPac Agile/Kanban Stand-Up Meeting" every morning at 10:30 EDT. You know it's not a standup. I know it's not a standup.

My boss thinks it's a standup.

Talk to you boss. Have a candid conversation. Voice your concerns, suggest changes, do some research on scrum best practices and present the change to him. It can be really hard to change to an Agile mindset and a lot of people struggle with it.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Talk to you boss. Have a candid conversation. Voice your concerns, suggest changes, do some research on scrum best practices and present the change to him. It can be really hard to change to an Agile mindset and a lot of people struggle with it.

God dammit CLAM DOWN I'm here to bitch, not to receive serious suggestions. :colbert:

In all seriousness, I do plan on doing that next week before I leave. It'll be to the benefit of whoever fills this slot once I'm gone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

YOU'RE WELCOME

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
So, for the future or other people, one thing that actually saves time is to have everyone spend the first five minutes silently writing down their answers to the questions:
What did I do yesterday?
What am I working on today?
Where am I stuck?

Then go around the table and have everyone read what they wrote.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My boss never ever ever asks me what I'm working on. He asks if I need help with anything and if the answer is no, he moves on.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's not just for your boss, it makes sure that everyone knows what everyone is working on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

My boss never ever ever asks me what I'm working on. He asks if I need help with anything and if the answer is no, he moves on.

Okay well, the whole point of a standup is to do that. It's a different way of looking at your work, so the whole team knows what is happening that day and if anyone else has a blocker they can help with. It's not for your boss, in fact true Agile is a flat structure and you won't have a boss there.

e:fb

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's not just for your boss, it makes sure that everyone knows what everyone is working on.

It's a little different here. I'm the only one on the network side, everyone else in our IT meetings are our ERP programmers. No one cares what I do as long as nothing is on fire.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bullet journaling is my task manager of choice. It’s like a personal stand up!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My old boss also sucked at running "standups". They'd go on for at least 30 minutes, often longer unless someone needed to kick us out of the conference room. Someone would inevitably have some topic they wanted to really dive into and he's just let them go at it. Three times a week :smithicide:

Which is... not the purpose of a standup. I'm glad he moved on for a variety of reasons, but that's certainly one of them. I try to keep mine to 10 minutes tops for a team of 4. What're you working on, any issues in your way (but NOT HOW TO SOLVE THEM RIGHT NOW), any general announcements for the team. Done. If you need to deep dive on some topic, schedule your own drat meeting or hash it out on Slack. Don't drag everyone else down the rabbit hole with you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Our CISO is running around with his hair on fire about a new Microsoft remote desktop vulnerability. Nevermind that we don't have externally exposed jump boxes so this doesn't even apply to us, he wants to know how exposed we are. Um, considering this patch came out 3 days ago my guy, why don't you hazard a guess?

SELECT * FROM Servers as S
WHERE S.OS = 'Windows';

Might be your answer.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I always just assume my windows boxes are permanently vulnerable and this way of thinking hasn't failed me yet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I always just assume my windows boxes are permanently vulnerable and this way of thinking hasn't failed me yet

I mean, in fairness, you should adopt this mindset for every network-connected computing device of any kind. It will lead to better security practices!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just assume everything is vuln, and if someone wants your data bad enough they'll get it. It's all pointless.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bullet journaling is my task manager of choice. It’s like a personal stand up!

I really want to like bullet journaling but I have a real hard time being consistent about it.

skipdogg posted:

I just assume everything is vuln, and if someone wants your data bad enough they'll get it. It's all pointless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Our CISO is running around with his hair on fire about a new Microsoft remote desktop vulnerability. Nevermind that we don't have externally exposed jump boxes so this doesn't even apply to us, he wants to know how exposed we are. Um, considering this patch came out 3 days ago my guy, why don't you hazard a guess?

SELECT * FROM Servers as S
WHERE S.OS = 'Windows';

Might be your answer.

NLA is a fairly effective mitigation, from what I have read, as it requires an attacker to have actual RDP valid credentials to do anything. Not 100%, but if they can already login to the box, you might have other issues.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

With the constant scanning of public IPs going on you don’t even need to be an interesting target. I’ve worked someplace that got owned by some dumbass committing AWS keys to GitHub and someplace that got owned by random zero days in services that by their nature have to be open and public facing. In both cases it was just assholes looking for ways to mine buttcoins, nothing more targeted or elaborate. Someone is going to get into your poo poo eventually, but hopefully you’ve done the work to limit the scope and severity of what they can do.

Anyone worth half a poo poo at infosec should never hurt for work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

With the constant scanning of public IPs going on you don’t even need to be an interesting target. I’ve worked someplace that got owned by some dumbass committing AWS keys to GitHub and someplace that got owned by random zero days in services that by their nature have to be open and public facing. In both cases it was just assholes looking for ways to mine buttcoins, nothing more targeted or elaborate. Someone is going to get into your poo poo eventually, but hopefully you’ve done the work to limit the scope and severity of what they can do.

Anyone worth half a poo poo at infosec should never hurt for work.

Yeah I'm gonna be employed forever. 2019 the world is a gently caress born to die

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Some estimating dickweasel is here picking up equipment and he's spent the entire morning bitching about not being able to change his desktop background. Right now, he's going through ringtones on his new phone at full volume.

There's going to be another body in the lime quarry soon, I tell you what.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I'm gonna be employed forever. 2019 the world is a gently caress born to die

71342357854685468 dead firewall rules

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I'll do you one better -- assume you'll eventually be breached, no matter what

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have upgraded myself to a Surface Laptop at work cause one of the Executives returned it; didn't like it. Well it's not an officially supported device so I can't deploy it elsewhere so I deployed it to myself.

I like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

unbutthurtable posted:

I'll do you one better -- assume you'll eventually be breached, no matter what

Assume some part of your infra that you do not control is already breached.

Lock everything down from anyone/anything that’s not absolutely necessary.