Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Just Chamber posted:

Was there any way to fix the blurriness people are getting on pc? It's like the resolution scaling is turned down to 75% or something but there's nothing in options to fix this.

It looked like absolute dogshit on my machine until I turned off the grease filter (AA) the game ships with. At 1440p it's not like I really need AA that badly anyway. Game looks nice and crisp now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm reading a lot of reports of NPC ships despawning when you look at them since last patch 2.05.
2.06 is already in the works.

I'm on PS4 and the game is crash-free until I turn on multiplayer, then it's one crash after the other. So I haven't turned it on again.

Ah, good news. The low fps and crashing on multiplayer is completely gone now. I can finally walk around in the nexus and see other people hop around and look at their ships.
Fun stuff.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 16, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What video card do you have? My 1080ti with 1.5SS is getting killed at basically the same settings as you. I’m trying to figure out something to bring the performance up.

I have a regular ol GTX 1080, 16 gigawatts of DDR3 RAM, and an old crusty I7 3770K. Game is running from an SSD. I can say that I've gone into Nvidia control panel and disabled vsync and most other graphics options, and only relied on my Oculus Tray Tool as well as the in-game options. I haven't played for more than an hour at a time and am still relatively in the beginning of the tutorial, so performance may very well change. I do have vsync enabled in the in-game options but as I understand it, this just caps framerate to your monitor's refresh rate, not the headset, and I have a 144hz monitor. I've tried some options like turning the in-game resolution all the way down, since the mirror reprojection or whatever appearing on the monitor is running at full resolution and killing GPU performance, but when I did that I didn't see an increase in performance from the headset, only a decrease in aliasing quality. The good/bad news is it runs fairly well and is more than tolerable. Because the game needs patches to run better, it seems that I don't need to balance quality with performance because the game will under-perform regardless, and I haven't noticed much if any performance hit by cranking up the texture quality.

Inacio posted:

It looked like absolute dogshit on my machine until I turned off the grease filter (AA) the game ships with. At 1440p it's not like I really need AA that badly anyway. Game looks nice and crisp now.

As far as I know, only FXAA does the whole screen blurring/filtering thing, so if you want to use a low-overhead AA you can always just use TAA. That just sharpens up the edges a bit. To my knowledge, this doesn't make everything slightly blurry like FXAA does, but maybe in this game it does?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hate to double post but I don't want this to get lost: As I understand it, the game is up to 2.05 on PC with 2.06 testing underway? Should the version number still say "2.0" at the bottom left when you're in the intro load/new game screen? Or should it say 2.05? I ask because afaik 2.05 was released into production on Steam but my version still says 2.0, and no amount of restarting Steam will force an update.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
2.06 fixed none of my problems. Still crash every few minutes no matter what I am doing. Still get not so great performance. Still can't remap controls.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ToastyPotato posted:

2.06 fixed none of my problems. Still crash every few minutes no matter what I am doing. Still get not so great performance. Still can't remap controls.

For control remapping, have you tried using the Steam remapping tool? I haven't tried it, but it seems to have every mapping option listed there and the ability to make changes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ran into a weird thing the other day, bunch of friends went to the nexus to grab a team mission, all 4 of us joined up, but when we left we ended up almost like, desyncd? Two of us got sent to one spot, and two of us got sent to another and we never met. I think when one of us hit the completion trigger, it hit for all, but I'm not sure exactly what happened.

Nexus is generally is really prone to causing crashes for us.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Regarding VR controls, is there some sort of motion based movement at play here? Sometimes when I move my hands I move forward or jump a bit

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Regarding VR controls, is there some sort of motion based movement at play here? Sometimes when I move my hands I move forward or jump a bit

What controller are you using? I haven't seen that issue on my Oculus Touch, though I did need to turn the sensitivity for movement and flying all the way down to 5 from 25, and that smoothed out a lot of it. Is it possible an angry animal is poking you in the rear end and shunting your forward?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm using WMR with some sort of custom bindings. It definitely seems like I'm triggering some sort of motion control, but its so inconsistent that I can't figure out exactly how I'm doing it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, you can punch, which is a motion based command. Also the touch controllers are position sensitive in this game. If you press forward on the stick and then swing your arm down and hold it behind your back, youll walk backwards. I have never seen the point of this but a bunch of games do it, so maybe someone is using it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That may be a holdover from the Playstation Move controls (both here and in other games). They have to use the controller orientation for walk direction there because they don't have an analog stick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Has anyone had luck getting a HOTAS to work for in-ship controls? I've got one setup on my desk anyway for Elite and it seems like that would feel better for ship flight than the Oculus Touch.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

chaosapiant posted:

For control remapping, have you tried using the Steam remapping tool? I haven't tried it, but it seems to have every mapping option listed there and the ability to make changes.

I use mouse and keyboard primarily. I use pad to fly though because mouse and keyboard flight is not pleasant.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Total guess: You got a broken terrain seam and the camera's frustum culling began rendering everything around you from the underground. For the most part, the game runs fine on PC at max settings.
There’s something about caves that can tank the FPS, I’ve got a base in a cave and if you inch forward then moment the ambient sound switches from outdoors.wav to spooky-cave.wav the frame rate tanks, and immediately goes back to normal if you inch back again.

There’s some crazy rear end seam issues though for defs

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

toiletbrush posted:

There’s something about caves that can tank the FPS, I’ve got a base in a cave and if you inch forward then moment the ambient sound switches from outdoors.wav to spooky-cave.wav the frame rate tanks, and immediately goes back to normal if you inch back again.

There’s some crazy rear end seam issues though for defs

I think NMS does a lot of "line of sight" terrain generation due to its handling of proc gen, and since most things are obscured visibly by cave geometry the game is "running behind" on generating terrain, causing it to stutter and pause while it's trying to generate what you see.

I'm curious if folks on SSDs are seeing this issue, as an SSD seems like it would be a good answer to combat the game's constant on-the-fly terrain generation.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So uh... I can't rebind hotkeys so I can't use m/kb

So I'm using a controller, and I can't tag things in the visor

Like, 'hold X to tag target' does nothing

This is making navigation pretty drat annoying, there any fixes out there?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

victrix posted:

I'm assuming Steam? Go to Steam->Settings->Controller and disable/turnoff/uncheck all of it's dumb options to "manage controller input" for you. That should allow NMS to take priority of your device and let it be used properly.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there any way to improve the draw distance in this game through some ini edits or something? I know it'll probably make performance even worse but it's pretty lame driving around on the surface of a planet seeing details populating 50 yards in front of you all the time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I'm assuming Steam? Go to Steam->Settings->Controller and disable/turnoff/uncheck all of it's dumb options to "manage controller input" for you. That should allow NMS to take priority of your device and let it be used properly.

Where do I disable those?

Those are all unchecked, and I still get the 'Config loaded: Official configuration' when I start up.

What's really baffling is X works for everything else, including hold to interact (even press x to place custom marker in visor). It's solely 'hold to tag' that doesn't work.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you press forward on the stick and then swing your arm down and hold it behind your back, youll walk backwards.

What?!

haveblue posted:

That may be a holdover from the Playstation Move controls (both here and in other games). They have to use the controller orientation for walk direction there because they don't have an analog stick.

What?! I know my Lenovo is a piece of poo poo but at least it has analog sticks. Pure madness. Didn't even occur to me that someone would make a controller without analog sticks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of rebinding: I'm just playing KB+M and the rebind controls menu doesn't seem to work for me. I try to click something to rebind and nothing happens.

Is there any way to make the scan visor a toggle? I heard that's the case in VR.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Move controllers weren't even designed for VR, they were meant for motion-controlled flat games on the PS3. Originally they were used by pairing one Move with a "navigation" controller that had a stick and some buttons, but support for this second controller was not included in PSVR, probably because it wouldn't have position tracking. So every game uses a Move controller in each hand. The total available controls are 6-axis tracking on both hands, 10 digital buttons, and 2 analog triggers, and every game has to fit into this somehow. It's somewhat mitigated by being able to use the DS4 as a large, clumsily shaped motion controller since it also supports basic position tracking (or the Aim controller which is a two-handed gun with two sticks). Presumably all of this was felt by Sony to be a better option than investing a bunch of resources in a brand new one-hand motion controller for what was seen at the time as a big gamble on a niche gimmick.

New Moves is probably the #1 thing Sony could do to improve the platform, slightly ahead of an upgraded console GPU. Every so often there's a hint that they're working on it like a patent filing or something but nothing has been announced yet.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 16, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah the Move is a controller that already existed and works serviceably well with VR, especially since it relies on the same tracking technology that the headset does. There was a pretty clear patent by Sony for a new VR controller with analog sticks some time back that will definitely be used for the second version of PSVR. The Moves aren't ideal but some developers have found pretty clever uses for them despite their limitations. Like for NMS their solution for sprinting is pretty elegant, I thought, and there are a lot of context-sensitive actions you can perform with them.

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any way to make the scan visor a toggle? I heard that's the case in VR.

Not on a normal controller, but it is in VR. Can't zoom in VR though which is a bit of a drag.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of rebinding: I'm just playing KB+M and the rebind controls menu doesn't seem to work for me. I try to click something to rebind and nothing happens.

I have this bug too, the only workaround is to use a controller till they fix it, or suffer the defaults.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just did my first Nexus mission. I killed a bunch of pirates together with some stranger. It was pretty fun! 250 nanites reward.

The latest patches seem to have fixed all crashes and framerate issues on my end, so I like this update now.

Does anyone see all messages in the Nexus by other players in the native language of the players? I've been getting Spanish, German, Italian,... messages whenever someone starts or joins a Nexus mission.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I think NMS does a lot of "line of sight" terrain generation due to its handling of proc gen, and since most things are obscured visibly by cave geometry the game is "running behind" on generating terrain, causing it to stutter and pause while it's trying to generate what you see.

I'm curious if folks on SSDs are seeing this issue, as an SSD seems like it would be a good answer to combat the game's constant on-the-fly terrain generation.
The terrain gen in NMS is basically the same as Minecraft, generating chunks around you as you move, the only difference being NMS generates chunks at different scales and also shears them up and down with a height map (that’s why terrain features like ‘worms’ follow the ground), so the terrain should already be generated. Plus it doesn’t get better with time, it stays tanked till you leave.

There’s clearly some sort of procgen streaming going on though, you just have to turn in a different direction and you can see fine detail being regenerated again and again...slowly. I guess it’s a side effect of giving so much cpu/gpu to maintaining VR frame rates.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, NMS has always done that, it's just more subtle outside of VR. It's also supposed to be harder on the CPU than the disk since it's really just running through a whole lot of math and should have all the assets it can pick from loaded already.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

A few things I noticed running on Windows 10/NVIDIA 1080/SSD/16GB RAM/Intel i7:
1) Setting the game to borderless instead of fullscreen will make any transparent edge look jaggy and low resolution as hell, even with TAA enabled. Have to set it back to fullscreen and restart the game to fix it. Examples: edge of horizon/sky and trees.
2) Loading, while not the worst, was noticeably slow compared to NEXT. 2.06b patch seems to have fixed that for me. Loads super quick now.
3) Sometimes while scanning, the image it generates in the middle of the screen that tells you how many units earned, etc. is just a black square. I also noticed that my base planet has a large yellow exclamation mark symbol where it lists resources like copper, frost crystals, etc. No idea what that's about.

Not really experiencing any stability or slow down issues. Played for a few hours straight last night and got to the part in the Artemis quest line where you first meet Apollo and go to the anomaly/Nexus.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I get the yellow exclamation point on certain button binds. For instance the main screen asks me to hold (!) in order to delete a save.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I get the yellow exclamation point on certain button binds. For instance the main screen asks me to hold (!) in order to delete a save.

I got that on PS4 too, not sure if the recent patches fixed it though. I reported it anyway.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, base building sucks and is super tedious... are there prefabs that I can eventually plop down instead of manually placing every drat floor, wall, or roof?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can pretty quickly unlock complete placeable rooms and corridors, yes. Those seem to come from the Nexus now, advance the storyline until it shows up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Deakul posted:

So, base building sucks and is super tedious... are there prefabs that I can eventually plop down instead of manually placing every drat floor, wall, or roof?

There are complete rooms you can build but aside from that, no.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Research Large Base Structures and just use those instead of using the modular pieces.

Edit: Speaking of, what's the best way for getting tons of Pure Ferrite? Buying it from stations is a bit inconsistent.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 16, 2019

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

victrix posted:

Have the exact same bug using an Xbox One controller, really makes finding underground POIs a pain in the rear end (and half the time the game boots it doesn't recognize controller input).

Also I tried in VR and holy poo poo the stuttering when you turn your head made me immediately want to vomit, even with the refresh rate fixes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just reminding everyone that you can send bug reports/feature requests here: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=167605

Please do so.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to save manually? I play in VR, if that matters. Every time I go to the menu, it says it auto saved X minutes ago, but I can’t press the manual save button

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Entering and exiting your ship will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

Entering and exiting your ship will do it.

This, and building an actual save device. Also activating the discovery beacon things near buildings. But entering and exiting your ship is the easiest one.