Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Less Fat Luke posted:

Entering and exiting your ship will do it.

As long as it isn't on a freighter you don't own, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait, lol, there’s a save device?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

victrix posted:

Where do I disable those?

Those are all unchecked, and I still get the 'Config loaded: Official configuration' when I start up.

What's really baffling is X works for everything else, including hold to interact (even press x to place custom marker in visor). It's solely 'hold to tag' that doesn't work.

If those are disabled, then right click No Man's Sky icon in Steam, and check to make that its own "control config" is set to global so it uses the global setting you set. Each game can have it's own config that will override your global settings. Beyond making sure all that poo poo is unchecked, I'm not sure what else the issue could be. If that doesn't work try basic stuff like plugging controller into different USB port, restarting PC, and try unplugging any additional controllers you may have plugged in. I've experienced some games not recognizing my Xbox controller because my Thrustmaster HOTAS was also plugged in.

I hope some of this helps.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, lol, there’s a save device?

Yeah it's one of the things you can craft a bit down the line. It's a placeable object like the refiner.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm chomping at the bit to get home tonight and veg out in my VR space helmet and shoot grass. NMS in VR is easily one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, up there with Elite Dangerous in VR and the first time I ever played Morrowind or Ocarina of Time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Probably worth noting that (unless Beyond just changed it) NMS treats auto saves and manual saves differently. You auto save any time you exit your ship. Manual saves happen when you click on a crafted save point or beacon and choose to save. There have been a few times when my auto save got corrupted and left me desynched from geometry in a weird way (like the game thought I was 500 yards to the left of where it looked like I was, making it impossible to do things like land on a space station) and had to go back an hour to a manual save to fix myself. It doesn't hurt to do both regularly!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

huh, activating waypoints gives you Navigation Data now. Nice.

Hrrrrm, my Signal Booster needs "Drop Pod Coordinate Data" as a specific item, anyone know where I get that? The wiki isn't updated on that yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Speedball posted:

huh, activating waypoints gives you Navigation Data now. Nice.

Hrrrrm, my Signal Booster needs "Drop Pod Coordinate Data" as a specific item, anyone know where I get that? The wiki isn't updated on that yet.

At a guess, buy it from the cartographer in a station?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

At a guess, buy it from the cartographer in a station?

He just gives planetary point-of-interest maps which seems to be a different item. Hmm.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just Chamber posted:

This actually seemed to work for me so thanks for that, does seem less blurry now.

Awesome, I'm glad it worked. I don't know if this is an issue with Windows Scaling or whatever, but I run my Windows 10 with with 125% scaling so I don't strain my eyes but some games just don't render properly unless I change that setting.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Broken Cog posted:

Research Large Base Structures and just use those instead of using the modular pieces.

Edit: Speaking of, what's the best way for getting tons of Pure Ferrite? Buying it from stations is a bit inconsistent.
the wiki says ferrite dust + carbon or condensed carbon = magnetized ferrite and magnetized ferrite alone in a refiner will break down into pure ferrite, but i have no idea if that's up to date

if they haven't changed it, you should be able to refine your way to almost anything, especially the basic materials needed for base building. like carbon or condensed carbon + oxygen (from an oxygen generator usually) outputs far more carbon than you put in

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Some of the planet's I've been on have big rocks full of Pure Ferrite, you just need an Advanced Mining Laser to get them.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
That's the sucker way, printing materials is the way to go for sure. You just need the oxygen harvester and the med/large refiner unlocked.
Harvest oxygen, oxygen + condensed carbon = more con carbon (and keep the harvester fueled), con carbon + pure ferrite = mag ferrite, and break down the mag ferrite. You have unlimited fuel and building material because the reactions give out more than you put in.

Oscar aint no Slouch fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 16, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Refining it they way takes an obnoxious amount of dicking around in the crafting interface. Just be space rich and buy an entire shipload of pure ferrite from a random alien at a space station in a wealthy system.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Save all of your nanites to upgrade your scanner. You'll be a millionare in no time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

If those are disabled, then right click No Man's Sky icon in Steam, and check to make that its own "control config" is set to global so it uses the global setting you set. Each game can have it's own config that will override your global settings. Beyond making sure all that poo poo is unchecked, I'm not sure what else the issue could be. If that doesn't work try basic stuff like plugging controller into different USB port, restarting PC, and try unplugging any additional controllers you may have plugged in. I've experienced some games not recognizing my Xbox controller because my Thrustmaster HOTAS was also plugged in.

I hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the help, no joy though. It's not an issue with the game not recognizing the controller, it's literally that one specific interaction - visor + hold X to tag = no joy. Everything else works :psyduck:

Gave up and submitted a bug report, playing the game is pretty fooked atm between that and no keybinds for m/kb though.

Thatsnotverynice
Jun 4, 2019

I really want to like this game, but i always end up feeling overwhelmed and just end up playing something else

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Well, the 2.06b hotfix just dropped on PS4 and XBone and 2.06c just dropped on PC. Main note in this one:

Hello Games posted:

* Don’t let the VR player punch in places they aren’t allow to use weapons.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Two patches, and the game still randomly plasters YOU HAVE AN UPGRADE AND MUST NOW UPGRADE all over my viewscreen. Also thanks game, for making my sensor booster useless and for forcing me to use a space station vendor instead. It's not enough to offset the positive things, but... oh wait a minute, the upload all button is still disabled. Welp, we officially have reached neutral on this patch then

I swear, this game sometimes. :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Libluini posted:

Two patches, and the game still randomly plasters YOU HAVE AN UPGRADE AND MUST NOW UPGRADE all over my viewscreen. Also thanks game, for making my sensor booster useless and for forcing me to use a space station vendor instead. It's not enough to offset the positive things, but... oh wait a minute, the upload all button is still disabled. Welp, we officially have reached neutral on this patch then

I swear, this game sometimes. :v:

Did you start a new game? Or are you playing an old save?

Also, does this game have rivers and lakes and such? I know there’s small water pools and oceans, but running water from mountains isn’t a thing Ive seen.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Thatsnotverynice posted:

I really want to like this game, but i always end up feeling overwhelmed and just end up playing something else

The secret is to just realize that nothing really matters in this game and just do whatever you want.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Any advice on how to make the most out of the game in the early stages? Do I just follow along the main quest in the log or should I start branching out early on and do my own thing?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Also, does this game have rivers and lakes and such? I know there’s small water pools and oceans, but running water from mountains isn’t a thing Ive seen.

Old save (because no way in hell do I start again at zero after spending 60 hours grinding up blueprints and poo poo)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Thatsnotverynice posted:

I started a new game, and forgotten how much of a chore it is to get anywhere in the game. It's like Terraria my first play through, just thrown to the wolves and have to figure things out. At least with NMS, they have tutorials and tips to help you progress through important stuff.

If I were you don't focus on building it'll be a drain on your resources, just learn enough to get a signal booster. Instead go through the Artemis storyline. It will help unlock useful stuff. When on planets, mine important resources and stockpile some of it. Make sure your multitool has mining beam and terrain manipulator and advanced mining beam, the latter two you'll have to craft.

Keep in mind, when the game first launched, all there was to do was just fly around on planets, mine and grab resources, visit space stations, and hyperspace jump to other systems. A lot of us had a lot of time learning the basics because that's all there was. So we focused on just finding crashed starships to upgrade to a 48 slot hauler, grinding to get the hyperdrive upgrades to we can travel far in one jump, and finding drop pods to upgrade exosuit inventory. Then eventually when building, exocraft, freighters, and portals was put into game, we already knew everything else up until that point, so we focused on that stuff next. Now all this stuff is thrown at your face at once, so I can see how it can be overwhelming.

I never delved into multiplayer, but it seems in the past people could harvest stuff from others people's farms to help craft and make money. Normally I'd extend my hand to you with my base/farm, but it's outdated and not powered up. Plus I'm not sure what's the best money making farm setup these days since I've been out of the loop for a good while. Maybe a kind soul in the Nexus can lend a hand.

ijii fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 16, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

No, there's no hydrodynamics in the game, just a water table that defines if something is above water or below water. The world generator also isn't set up to carve out river beds so sea-level lakes and oceans are all we get. Sometimes the coasts form nice fjords and inlets entirely by accident though.

An enterprising player could probably make an artificial river with the terrain manipulator and base parts.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Libluini posted:

Old save (because no way in hell do I start again at zero after spending 60 hours grinding up blueprints and poo poo)

I agree it shouldn’t require a new game, but afaik it’s been best practice to start a new save with every major update.

It’d be nice if the game let you “retire” a character and then start a new game with tons of cash at least so after you get through the tutorial you can then chill out a bit and buy a bunch of poo poo instead of harvesting/mining.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

chaosapiant posted:

I agree it shouldn’t require a new game, but afaik it’s been best practice to start a new save with every major update.

It’d be nice if the game let you “retire” a character and then start a new game with tons of cash at least so after you get through the tutorial you can then chill out a bit and buy a bunch of poo poo instead of harvesting/mining.

I'd just like to transfer my dictionary.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Did something change with pirates? I could always avoid fights by just boosting away from them for a while, but now I suddenly can't shake them anymore.
Edit: Nevermind, I just turned back to the assaulted freighter and fought them off. gently caress you guys, now you're all dead. Should have let me leave :mad:

chaosapiant posted:

My opinion is that I will start a new save whenever I drat well please and no lovely game will be able to force me into this against my will, as irrational as that makes me sound. I would rather snap my game disc in half then succumbing to this bullshit :argh:

Or you know, (sees the vanishing-ship-bug for the first time) I'll just play other games while the devs are fixing their bugs.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I see a lot of folks complaining about being unable to remap keybinds and I have a solution.
https://www.autohotkey.com
I know, I know, I'm probably the most pissed off when a game developer won't let me rebind WASD to ESDF, use the ' and " keys, or properly bind mousewheel up and down, but the No Man's Sky devs have refused to remove certain hard coded binds since the game launched, so AHK is the only solution to this game's binding problems.
Here's some example code for what I do:
code:
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 5000
#HotkeyInterval 1500

NMS := true

#if WinActive("ahk_exe NMS.exe") && NMS
f::d
e::w
d::s
s::a
r::e
t::r
g::f
a::e
[::g
q::t
`;::LShift
'::q
w::q

#if WinActive("ahk_exe NMS.exe")
\::
  NMS := !NMS
return
The \ key will switch the bindings on and off for when you want to name things or use text chat. This is a basic WASD to ESDF script, so hopefully that will direct you towards how to more customize it to your liking. Semi-colon is typically "commenting out" in this language, making a line not actually work, so when you see the backtick semicolon, that's a way of "escaping" the semi-colon as a comment command so you can use the semi-colon key as a rebind. The reason I have semi-colon, apostrophe, and left square bracket as keybinds is because that's the best way to do extra mouse buttons for games that don't know what those buttons are (a lot of them, game dev is hard!) The Interval stuff at the top is to keep AHK from complaining at how often you're using a rebind (a way of preventing infinite looping scripts.) This script is the only way I can play this damned game without tearing my hair out, I hope it can help at least one person here!

Also, don't run AHK in the background with Destiny 2 or Fortnite. Apparently the devs for both of these consider it a hack.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
What would be a good VR set to look into on the PS4? I've always hesitated, but it looks like the prices are dropping a bit?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LaserShark posted:

What would be a good VR set to look into on the PS4? I've always hesitated, but it looks like the prices are dropping a bit?

There is only one VR headset for the PS4, your choices are which games come with it and whether Moves are bundled in.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

How do you dismantle stuff at your base? PS4 controls say to use LT but all that does is bring up the annoying wiring interface.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I did the thing where there was a firestorm outside so I watched YouTube in my ship in VR until things settled. Also exploring my favourite snow planet was just beautiful so I scaled a mountain and just sat under a tree for a bit. I always thought NMS would make a great VR game and I feel pretty vindicated, they put way more effort than I thought into making it feel good. Wish you could adjust the control positions in the ship though like in Vox Machinae or VTOL tho.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Ugg, trying to clean up my previous bases in a system. One base teleports me into space, so can't be deleted. Another base crashes me to desktop if I teleport in or fly to it. I guess I have to abandon system, oh well. But now I'm going to have the annoying bases listed in my teleport list. Only way to delete those is through save editor it seems. Bleh.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Yeah finally got to give this a shot on my 1060 and its running fine for me so far on enhanced settings. Not as smooth as it should but its clearly just poorly optimized.

Flying is absolutely dogshit control wise though.

Having a blast otherwise.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

AccountSupervisor posted:

Flying is absolutely dogshit control wise though.

Flying is really bad, I have zero interest in engaging enemy ships because of it. I was hoping it'd have been improved since I last played but nope.

And it's not even the ship fighting that is the biggest problem, I have very little interest in doing that anyway. It's doing simple things like, say, trying to scan the planet in the distance but you have to make sure the cursor is completely inside the planet and god forbid if it slides out of it even a little bit, you'll be waiting for the scanner to cooldown to try again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You guys on PC? Because on PS4 flying is feels great with the motion controls and it's one of my favorite things in the game right now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stare-Out posted:

You guys on PC? Because on PS4 flying is feels great with the motion controls and it's one of my favorite things in the game right now.

Yeah, mouse and keyboard. Maybe doing that stuff is easier with a joystick, but it's a hassle the way it's done with a mouse

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh right. Yeah, I can imagine it's a pain with a mouse and keyboard for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turn the sensitivity down for a better VR joystick experience