Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Navigation data no longer works with the signal booster? Is there a use for it other than getting planetary charts? Any way to seek out specific types of buildings any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

Navigation data no longer works with the signal booster? Is there a use for it other than getting planetary charts? Any way to seek out specific types of buildings any more?

Another mechanic they butchered :sigh:. I think the planetary charts are tied to the system seed or something, in their item description they say what type they are for, and in my playing around handing it into the same guy reproduces the same type. The maps also only stack per type, so it's best to keep them as navigation data until you're going to use them because the resulting maps will take up multiple slots. Unless you want to hoard a specific type, then go nuts.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My auto harvester on a patch of Ammonia gave me copper so... that's a thing

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
do you ever get a map or a way to set multiple waypoints

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Are the capital class freighters (the 'star destroyer' and the one with the long but vertical profile) way rarer now, or just rarer than I remember? I've been using the warp save scum trick to find to find one, any one, and I haven't found a single one. I've done probably over a hundred systems at this point.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you can dismiss. And are you sending the frigate alone? Because that’s bad. All frigates eventually rank up to S if you keep up with them.

Wait, frigates rank up? I have never seen that happen.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

metasynthetic posted:

Are the capital class freighters (the 'star destroyer' and the one with the long but vertical profile) way rarer now, or just rarer than I remember? I've been using the warp save scum trick to find to find one, any one, and I haven't found a single one. I've done probably over a hundred systems at this point.
Maybe? I saw one last night but couldn't afford it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blindeye posted:

Wait, frigates rank up? I have never seen that happen.

Yeah check out the manage fleet screen on the CIC. You can inspect each frigate and see how far they are from the next rank. Unless things changes with beyond the best you can go for is 5 for each type of frigate (to hit the 30 max total)

metasynthetic posted:

I saw way more Sentinels (the latter) than the Venators (the star destroyers) but by focusing on 3 star systems I saw plenty of them.

Also another freighter tip: only takes 1 warp cell to completely fill their hyperdrive and they can jump to ANY star without needing the other hyperdrive engine. their research stuff only lets them warp further.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 19, 2019

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
gently caress it, I just downloaded a save editor and gave myself one, I needed one to give me the mats to rebuild the base I lost to that Nexus glitch anyway.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 19, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I missed and/or messed up getting hyperdrive blueprints?

I went to the space station, talked to the cartographer, he gave me maps, I activated the waypoints on those maps, and they're just random outposts and stuff.

What am/did I miss to get the hyperdrive blueprints?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think I missed and/or messed up getting hyperdrive blueprints?

I went to the space station, talked to the cartographer, he gave me maps, I activated the waypoints on those maps, and they're just random outposts and stuff.

What am/did I miss to get the hyperdrive blueprints?

You buy the blueprints from a merchant on the Anomaly with Nanites.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oceanbound posted:

You buy the blueprints from a merchant on the Anomaly with Nanites.

So far I've only found the space station, so that might be it

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Ugh i'm getting a really annoying bug where if I exchange my ship plus the value of the one i'm buying no matter what my Units will be reset to zero. So just now I had 4 mil in the bank, tried to exchange my 500k ship for a 1.5 mil and upon purchase i had zero Units afterwards. Tested this now on 3 ships in a row, same deal. Any one else get this bug?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Protip: It's really easy to get the milestones for finding all species on a planet on Anomaly/Exotic planet types. They seem to have just a single species on each of them.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Xik posted:

Yes, I was playing around with it and it seems it's still the old behaviour where you'll get higher yield per deposit if you reduce it to the smallest. Such a dumb machnic but fits their overall design theory of rewarding players for doing things the most tedious way.

Also hot tip for returning players, you no longer have to farm Frost Crystals for glass. You can just throw Silicate Powder from the default ground terrain into a refiner and get glass :v:

I think it's both awesome and dumb that you can keep digging indefinitely since you get more silicate than you can consume with the terrain manipulator.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

Ugh i'm getting a really annoying bug where if I exchange my ship plus the value of the one i'm buying no matter what my Units will be reset to zero. So just now I had 4 mil in the bank, tried to exchange my 500k ship for a 1.5 mil and upon purchase i had zero Units afterwards. Tested this now on 3 ships in a row, same deal. Any one else get this bug?

I've seen that mentioned by a lot of people so you're not alone. If you're on PC your best bet would be to CheatEngine back some units if you can. I think the same thing happens with buying a new freighter, both leave you with 0 units left. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next round of patches this week but who knows.

I'm pretty amazed at all the basic things that break with every major update. As far as I can tell there's no way to adjust terrain manipulator size with a controller, only keyboard now. Still works when creating terrain but the buttons do nothing when it's set to mining.

That and killing the Upload All button are real headscratchers. I'm sure it broke in NEXT or some other major update as well and they eventually fixed it, so no idea how it's managed to happen all over again.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 19, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Toast King posted:

I've seen that mentioned by a lot of people so you're not alone. If you're on PC your best bet would be to CheatEngine back some units if you can. I think the same thing happens with buying a new freighter, both leave you with 0 units left. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next round of patches this week but who knows.

Closing the game and restarting it fixed the problem when just reloading the save didnt. Luckily I didnt save after I bought a ship and lost all of my money. Of course as I had to reload the save I lost the randomly generated good ship that flew into the space station so that sucked. But yea I submitted a bug report so i hope so.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 19, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just Chamber posted:

Closing the game and restarting it fixed the problem when just reloading the save didnt. Luckily I didnt save after I bought a ship and lost all of my money. Of course as I had to reload the save I lost the randomly generated good ship that flew into the space station so that sucked. But yea I submitted a bug report so i hope so.

Since when this happened to me I was exchanging a crashed ship for a nearly identical one (apparently two less cabin space was enough to bring it below even trade price, same model and everything) I just loaded up NMSSaveEditor and repaired everything guilt-free.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I finally traded in my newbie gun for a better one and got hit by the zero credit bug. Like someone else said, I used the No Man's Sky save editor to make repairs.

This game is incredible in VR but god drat HG has no concept of QC.

I have to wonder if it's better or worse on PS4 - they seem to have left PC QC as an afterthought, but if you get hit by anything on PS4, you're just hosed, the end.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

What's everyone's easy money making guide for early on? Here's mine:

If you find planets with Storm Crystals it's such an easy money maker. I found mine on a Rotting Moon but i'm sure they're on other biomes. Just sit on the planet for 5 mins and wait for a storm (they seem to be frequent on the hazardous planet I was on) and zoom around with your ship landing and scooping up crystals over and over, as they're so easy to spot from the air it's dead simple, I grabbed like 35 in 5 minutes and made a cool 5 million.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Xik posted:

Another mechanic they butchered :sigh:. I think the planetary charts are tied to the system seed or something, in their item description they say what type they are for, and in my playing around handing it into the same guy reproduces the same type. The maps also only stack per type, so it's best to keep them as navigation data until you're going to use them because the resulting maps will take up multiple slots. Unless you want to hoard a specific type, then go nuts.

The worst is that you have to go through the same annoying npc dialog for each time you want to trade for a planetary chart. It's absolutely infuriating.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

I'm having the same problem. I'll start a new save tonight and see if it solves it. But if it doesn't I'll probably have to stop playing the game until they fix it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Toast King posted:

I'm pretty amazed at all the basic things that break with every major update. As far as I can tell there's no way to adjust terrain manipulator size with a controller, only keyboard now. Still works when creating terrain but the buttons do nothing when it's set to mining.

That and killing the Upload All button are real headscratchers. I'm sure it broke in NEXT or some other major update as well and they eventually fixed it, so no idea how it's managed to happen all over again.

I have trouble believing that they did not know about those bugs. They probably decided to prioritize other bugs that they considered more critical.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

That did not work for me. I restarted the game and even loaded a 30 mins younger manual save but still got the bug.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Pigbottom posted:

The worst is that you have to go through the same annoying npc dialog for each time you want to trade for a planetary chart. It's absolutely infuriating.

Yeah, they should have made a specific UI like the buy and sell to convert more maps at once.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wait you can stack S rank scanner upgrades? God damnit I wish I knew that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Wait you can stack S rank scanner upgrades? God damnit I wish I knew that.

You can have 3 store-bought upgrades active on each thingy and then I think one copy of each craftable upgrade.

quote:

Especially since that flaw is visible within the first minute of buying charts, so it makes it look like the whole feature was either not tested at all or They Just Didn't Care™.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

At least in Next you could stack up to six tech upgrades, three in your tech slots and other three in your regular inventory without the game stopping you. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Just Chamber posted:

If you find planets with Storm Crystals it's such an easy money maker. I found mine on a Rotting Moon but i'm sure they're on other biomes. Just sit on the planet for 5 mins and wait for a storm (they seem to be frequent on the hazardous planet I was on) and zoom around with your ship landing and scooping up crystals over and over, as they're so easy to spot from the air it's dead simple, I grabbed like 35 in 5 minutes and made a cool 5 million.

Haven't found a Storm Crystal planet yet myself. I made most of my early money through Larval Cores and Chlorine/Salt while waiting for my friend to play. Larval Cores are easy to mine if you just terrain manipulate a little hole under each patch before getting started, then you just jetpack from one hole to another while the swarm follows (mostly) harmlessly. Respawning Whispering Eggs doesn't work for me though, no matter what method I use, so unfortunately I can't turn it into a farming operation.

Not overly concerned with money right now anyway, since I managed to get an A-Rank Capital Ship last night (I was not lucky enough to get S right away and wasn't going to push my luck continuing to reroll for it, so I took an A). That was my main reason for money grinding, as I needed frigate recruiting funds as soon as I got it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Do frigate missions tick down in real time even when the game isn't running or only when the game is running?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Yeah, it's like actual system time so you don't even have to play the game.

The future is now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Whelp, all of my story quests are still boned hard, and I refuse to restart because I'm halfway to the centre goddammit.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Just Chamber posted:

Quoting myself to say if any one wants to do this method, Storm Crystals dont show up when you scan a planet from space, they're apparently always (or usually anyway) on extreme weather planets though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ancient bones can be pretty lucrative too and you don't need to run around in a storm to collect them.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ghostlight posted:

Whelp, all of my story quests are still boned hard, and I refuse to restart because I'm halfway to the centre goddammit.

You could just warp to a base that's close to the center at the Nexus. You just have to ask around for someone that has a base close to the center.

But even then, there's nothing to do at the center? Or is it a personal victory kind of thing, maybe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Salvaged Scrap and Ancient Bones are probably the best early game money makers right now. I prefer salvaged scrap myself, since you don't have to dig so much, the stuff you find seems on average to be worth more than bones, and you get some free Ferrite Dust to go with each find.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Broken Cog posted:

Salvaged Scrap and Ancient Bones are probably the best early game money makers right now. I prefer salvaged scrap myself, since you don't have to dig so much, the stuff you find seems on average to be worth more than bones, and you get some free Ferrite Dust to go with each find.

Also, if you pick up sentinel killing missions everywhere you go, the corrupted sentinels count towards them.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Im enjoying chasing the exploration based items for cash. The bones, crystals, those things underwater that trigger the abyse. You can combine it with other stuff, tech modules, ground based missions, scanning, just basically playing the game and running around.

I've spent way too many hours in previous saves doing the tedious farming bullshit that I don't plan to lay a single hydroponic bay this game. Im just going to opt out of any type of grinding or farming even if it's ~sub optimal~.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I randomly went after a bunch of salvage scrap because I was having fun burrowing down, excavating from underneath, and then escaping the silly sentinels. Boy was I surprised to find out that Gold salvage sold for 2.4 mil.

I haven't figured out how to switch between Mine/Create in VR with the terrain manipulator, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Walrus posted:

I haven't figured out how to switch between Mine/Create in VR with the terrain manipulator, any ideas?

Should be the rightmost item on the gun-hand wrist menu, replacing Reload for the other modes. Unless the bug is that that's not working for you.