Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Price Check posted:

Who is going to start the $2 million gofundme for Bryan and Vinny to review TNA?

i think bryan reviewed most of it as it happened and it would be cruel to make him go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how much to make them review just the jeff jarrett matches from TNA

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The 2019 Christmas show should be them drinking while watching Heroes of Wrestling.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
:siren:Garrett/Dave Observer 90210 review:siren:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
that story on F4D about Billy Kidman accidentally hanging himself for real and going unconscious is horrifying. He could've died in the ring on live PPV

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 17, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rovert posted:

Sami Zayn and his wife did Renee Young's podcast today:

I legit had no idea that Sami Zayn was married, which probably isn't that weird a thing to not know but I am surprised that I don't recall it ever coming up before.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I legit had no idea that Sami Zayn was married, which probably isn't that weird a thing to not know but I am surprised that I don't recall it ever coming up before.

I was thinking the same thing

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Probably cause his on-screen character gives off very strong virgin vibes.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I think it’d be funny if Sami’s wife became an onscreen character and got into the cucking storylines. Such good poo poo

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vince will saddle Sami with both the cuck gimmick and the Red Rooster gimmick. Everyone get ready for his new catchphrase, "cuck-a-doodle-doo"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The Beverly Hills 90210 talk in WOR today.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
They really didn't set this up well for people not familiar with the show. Is the reboot a show about the making of a new season of 90210 where the actors play themselves or is just a continuation of the old show set 20 years later?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The AWA had the America's Championship, NWA had the US Title. Wade didn't know poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

rovert posted:

The Beverly Hills 90210 talk in WOR today.

That was loving incredible. I know nothing about whatever this new show is but it was a joy to listen to :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So there was a big Dave story and a big Bryan story. One of 'em was NXT on USA. What was the other?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Davros1 posted:

The AWA had the America's Championship, NWA had the US Title. Wade didn't know poo poo.

the names would more or less be interchangable back then. it was commonplace for nwa us title matches to be announced as "for the americas belt" "for the heavyweight championship of these united states" etc

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

So there was a big Dave story and a big Bryan story. One of 'em was NXT on USA. What was the other?

:siren: Paisley can count to 15 now :siren:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
gently caress em up, Paisley.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished up that Vince Russo interview with Dave from 99 in the WOL Archive posted a day or so back. One caller just absolutely rakes him over the coals about the Juventeud/Liger booking being racist, it was quite a thing to listen to (also maddening as Russo was going,"What? How is that racist? I don't see how it's racist!" the entire time).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Finished up that Vince Russo interview with Dave from 99 in the WOL Archive posted a day or so back. One caller just absolutely rakes him over the coals about the Juventeud/Liger booking being racist, it was quite a thing to listen to (also maddening as Russo was going,"What? How is that racist? I don't see how it's racist!" the entire time).
Bro, it's good writing because the tequila bottle was introduced and paid off later!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Bro, it's good writing because the tequila bottle was introduced and paid off later!

I sweah, it's classic hero's journey, ya nevah heard of Joseph Campbell, bro?

(Let's be honest, Russo watched a 3 minute Robert McKee clip at best)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chekhov's hooch?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"But why'd you have him introduce a tequila bottle earlier in the first place?"
"I don't understand? Him giving it to me earlier is why it was important later!"
"...but why'd you have him give it to you in the first place?"
"I don't see the problem?"

Also his talk about how the problem with Mexican and Japanese wrestlers is that they lack personality, then commenting about how now he's met them and discovered they have personality so NOW he can use them was soooooo close to him become self-aware it hurts.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading through old WONs and this was in the letters section of the January 8, 1991 issue. I added the paragraph breaks and bolded a line towards the end because holy poo poo.

quote:

KARL GOTCH

I saw the 9/17 issue in which the words of Harry White, some other nameless wonder and Bruno Sammartino were printed. I would have shrugged all this off but being called a liar is a stab at my integrity. I always say that the truth only hurts a fool, but I've found out the world is full of fools and is exemplified by Bruno Sammartino, who still lives on Cloud Nine. He asked Joe Malenko for my telephone number, but never called me. It is obvious from the wordings of the letter that the nameless wonder and Bruno Sammartino are one and the same. I had to laugh when it was said it was a waste of space printing what was called "garbage." As I gather, I've been called an old man, but if I remember correctly, there isn't that much of an age difference between myself and Bruno Sammartino.

To set the record straight, I have only met Sammartino twice. In 1960, I saw him in the ring in Sunnyside Gardens where I was sent by the promoter who first brought me to the United States. I'll never forget it. He was billed as the Italian Strongman. Kola Kwariani, Boris Malenko and I were standing behind the scenes. His opponent put a front facelock on him and he was going to pick him up and throw him off. Lc and behold when he picked him up, he fell flat on his rear end. Malenko and I almost died laughing. Kwariani, on the other hand, seemed to have aged ten years right then and there for he was Sammartino's promoter.

The second time was in 1965 in Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens which is what I was talking about before took place. It must have really hurt Sammartino, the champ with the sugar-bag hold finish for me to be labeled as the greatest technical wrestler. It was written that I was slow, boring and had no charisma. Amazing. That fits like a round peg in a square hole. A guy who has great technique is always fun to watch and fast because speed comes with science. You have to know what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

About never getting over, well, when you can wrestle, everyone in the business considers you a threat. When I first came to the United States, the old man I worked for had some photos taken with a $1,000 bill on my chest. Well, you can imagine how that worked out. It was considered a challenge and in the long run stifled my career. Ted Beresford, an English promoter who knew me from Europe told me once, "What the hell are you doing in the United States? You're the top man in Europe and made good money." As for Why I journeyed trans-atianticaiiy, I was curious as to what America had to offer. All I heard about morning, noon and night was America, and that's what I wanted to see.

As far as being a bitter old man, I'm a happy old guy doing what I like best: exercising, taking care of my dog and teaching young boys how to wrestle. To quote what Ray Steele told Lou Thesz--"If you like to wrestle, learn how and then learn how to make money with it."

About the public in the Western Hemisphere who didn't come to see me, I was already established as the top man all over Europe. established myself in places where you had to do it with your ability in the ring and without the help of television, which brainwashes you down people's throats. Like I said, I don't want to expose the game and how it is played because if you cut your nose, you cut your face. Everyone knew what kind of talent the New York territory has always been built on. They've never allowed good talent to shine because it would kill their champ. In Japan, you had to do it with ability because they don't get into gimmicks. I got over there like a house on fire. I debuted in 1961 and today they still call me the God of wrestling. The last time I wrestled there, when I was 58 years old, one of Stu Hart's sons came to me after the match and told me he had heard a lot about me, but would never have thought I was that good. I also heard that a lot of weightlifters changed their methods of working out after they saw me perform in that match. How's that for a slow, boring old man?

I also heard from a wrestler who grappled with the Italian strongman that when he short arm scissored him, Sammartino couldn't even lift him off the ground. The wrestler told him that "Gotch can do that easily." Sammartino's style did more damage to Osaka than what the atomic bomb did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It took nearly seven years to draw crowds back to that arena. Sammartino was a strongman who wasn't strong, a wrestler that if it took one hold to go around the world, he couldn't get across the street. I found out, not to my surprise, that nobody had anything good to say about Sammartino when I was in New York and he was out of the picture. It sure made me think. I've met several great athletes, but Sammartino was only good for making poo poo out of spaghetti. Talking makes a man answer. The Observer goes on the reputation for telling the truth, so I challenge you to print this. Man enough to sign my name.

Karl Gotch

Odessa, Florida

DM: Just to clear up one point. The name withheld letter about the Gotch interviews was from someone connected with the wrestling business but it was definitely not from Bruno Sammartino.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Karl had a hell of a way with words, that last paragraph is quite the diss track.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

remusclaw posted:

Karl had a hell of a way with words, that last paragraph is quite the diss track.

This is something that I wish Dave could pontificate more on, but we all know the answer would be "Gotch thought Bruno was a poo poo wrestler, and said so openly, that's who he was."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GoutPatrol posted:

This is something that I wish Dave could pontificate more on, but we all know the answer would be "Gotch thought Bruno was a poo poo wrestler, and said so openly, that's who he was."

is there any more to it than that?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I sent in a mailbag question about this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

The UWFi had just restarted and calling out all the other champions as fake was part of the style. Doesn't shock me that Karl Gotch was doing the same of legends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It boggles my mind that anybody would say Bruno was disliked/unpopular in New York :stare:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Rnp1Cxip8

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Granny finding out about Eddie Guerrero’s death and his selling an injury was peak Granny.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
If you want advanced Vince will ruin NXT paranoia Sunday's Wrestling Observer Live will scratch that itch.

Bryan Alvarez rightfully buried the NXT Breakout Tournament Final on today's Bryan and Vinny. ACH and Trevor Lee doing the most boring WWE match possible. Not good. Especially when eventually going against AEW.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was really a terrible idea to take 8 indie guys and give them all brand new very generic names and showcase them across 7 largely identical matches against each other

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

It was really a terrible idea to take 8 indie guys and give them all brand new very generic names and showcase them across 7 largely identical matches against each other

This really happened? OOF

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I don’t watch NXT but that’s my understanding of what The Breakout Tournament was

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
That is, in fact, exactly what it was.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

In the long run it’s probably better for the guys because at least the ACH name doesn’t have that WWE stank all over it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Gotta teach these play wrasslers how to work, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D002w_IWUo0

here's the Tatanka/Mountie match B&V were raving about. It really is good