Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So rather than tackle the demon, I went and faced the spear in the reservoir, because I rightly assumed he had the last prayer bead. What a pushover, what a chump. But hell yeah, that health bar.

I did try the demon a few times though, haven't found the right dodges and such, but did get him to the halfway point.
That huge fire wave he does in the second phase fucks me up.
Doesn't feel as insurmountable as Dad did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think I beat all the Interior Ministry miniboss mooks that show up at Ashina after getting all the ingredients. I also beat Great Shinobi Owl after a bunch of tries. I played very defensively and relied a lot on the combo where her throws two shurikens and does a jump attack that leaves him vulnerable to a sword strike. Most of my deaths involved going a little too hard on sprinting instead of step dodging when I wanted to get away.

I was actually thrown a bit when I realized that when he uses his smokebomb and jumps back in phase two, he doesn’t magically teleport like every other video game ninja does. He moves backwards, so he’ll come at you from that direction. Knowing I didn’t have to frantically look around for him made it way easier.

One weird thing is that over my several attempts, he used Shinobi firecrackers on me only once, and it was during the first phase. What’s that about?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
He's old and running low on gunpowder nowadays

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Apparently during the shura ending Owl runs off and kills genichiro while you're busy. Someone freecamed during the cutscene and he's carrying Genichiro's head.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
He has the black mortal blade too, which you can actually tell from the effects coming off it in regular cutscene.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

No Wave posted:

Apparently during the shura ending Owl runs off and kills genichiro while you're busy. Someone freecamed during the cutscene and he's carrying Genichiro's head.

not only that, he sets the severed head down in front of Isshin's corpse.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

man great shinobi owl in NG+ is a ridiculous spike in difficulty. I wasn't having a lot of trouble up to this point and suddenly I'm getting chopped down in two hits. I've decided that I hate this game again

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
What is the cut off point to start the Owl Father sidequest? I think I missed it because I cant eavesdrop Kuro but I havent beaten Dragon yet

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

WaltherFeng posted:

What is the cut off point to start the Owl Father sidequest? I think I missed it because I cant eavesdrop Kuro but I havent beaten Dragon yet

Cutoff point is beating the Dragon. Try talking to Kuro before attempting to eavesdrop, might help?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

He wont move to his room so I think theres some overlapping scene I havent done, even though I have exhausted his dialogue.

Or wait, can you eavesdrop him while he's standing near the incense burner?

Edit: I just reinstalled Bloodborne and gonna make a characted named the Wolf, Sekiro :rms:

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 18, 2019

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

WaltherFeng posted:

He wont move to his room so I think theres some overlapping scene I havent done, even though I have exhausted his dialogue.

Or wait, can you eavesdrop him while he's standing near the incense burner?

You should be able to, from the library door like if he's in there but on the other side of it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think my memory just failed me then. Gonna try it later thanks.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Oof, the Ashina Elite is way nastier without Kuro's Charm. Guess it's time to go hit a side path for awhile.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

GodFish posted:

Oof, the Ashina Elite is way nastier without Kuro's Charm. Guess it's time to go hit a side path for awhile.

Look at his sword, you will see a glint just before the attack (Eat an attack just to see how it works)

He'll try to do it multiple times in row so just keep still and focus on deflecting.

Another alternative is to buy the umbrella and the spinning upgrade which increases the deflect window.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Even with the flash I'm still taking enough chip damage to kill me before his posture builds up.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

GodFish posted:

Even with the flash I'm still taking enough chip damage to kill me before his posture builds up.

Your timing is off, deflects dont cause chip damage, only blocking does.

Its normal tho, playing with the charm on teaches you bad habits on blocking and charmless runs punish you for it.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Out of curiosity, if I've got all the prosthetics and have killed the guardian ape and folding screen monkeys, approx how far into the game am I?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fifteen of Many posted:

Out of curiosity, if I've got all the prosthetics and have killed the guardian ape and folding screen monkeys, approx how far into the game am I?

Between halfway and two-thirds

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Well now I've done all kinds of things! I killed Guardian Ape Redux, a Monk, my adoptive father and Monk Redux. Then I got struck by lightning in a lake and called it a night. Must be getting near the end now!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

GodFish posted:

just keep sprinting around him to the left/his right

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

GodFish posted:

Honestly found the Umbrella the best thing against him, his posture builds up really fast with it.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Owl round 2 oof :stare:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Demon exercised, RIP, you silly old monkey.

I thought it was funny, even though it thanks you, by name, Sekiro didn't realize who it was.
Looking it up though, it seems that only happened because I missed that easedrop at the temple.
All these little things in From games.

Whew boy that (I assume) final boss.
When I easedropped on that last Spear I wasn't entirely sure if he meant they were going to figuratively resurrect Ashina the land or literally resurrect Ashina the lord, so while I wasn't surprised by who the real boss is, I was not expecting it to happen that way.
This game is wild.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

wyoming posted:

Demon exercised, RIP, you silly old monkey.

I thought it was funny, even though it thanks you, by name, Sekiro didn't realize who it was.
Looking it up though, it seems that only happened because I missed that easedrop at the temple.
All these little things in From games.

Whew boy that (I assume) final boss.
When I easedropped on that last Spear I wasn't entirely sure if he meant they were going to figuratively resurrect Ashina the land or literally resurrect Ashina the lord, so while I wasn't surprised by who the real boss is, I was not expecting it to happen that way.
This game is wild.

Pitiful grandson

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, I kicked my dad's rear end then rode the twine man to Carp World.

I beat the TRUE corrupted monk as well, but I couldn't get any of the instant deathblows to work. Were those patched out?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Extra Large Marge posted:

Well, I kicked my dad's rear end then rode the twine man to Carp World.

I beat the TRUE corrupted monk as well, but I couldn't get any of the instant deathblows to work. Were those patched out?

You can stealth kill the 2nd phase by grappling on the highest branch as she kneels down to summon illusions

The first phase stealth kill was patched.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

WaltherFeng posted:

Your timing is off, deflects dont cause chip damage, only blocking does.

Its normal tho, playing with the charm on teaches you bad habits on blocking and charmless runs punish you for it.

turns out I just needed to take a break - came back today and got the timing right.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Beat Lady Butterfly last night and I think I really like this game now. What a great boss. This was the fight that taught me how to deflect and play this game right. It really puts into stark contrast how bad the Ogre, the General after the ogre, and Juzou are. Those fights teach real bad habits and train you to play the game incorrectly. (I liked the Blazing Bull fight but I don’t think I would have if I didn’t know you could deflect its charge. Similar problems with the Ogre where it doesn’t seem like you should be able to deflect the attacks you can).

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Butterfly is a good tutorial boss because his patterns are predictable and it's easy to pick up the correct timing.

Juzou's wide arcs still mess up and you have to deflect multiple hits because he wont stagger from a single deflect. Still a fun boss tho.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
For whatever reason it took a while for me to realize that unarmed attacks were basically no different than sword strikes.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Finally got SSI down on ng+7 charmless with demon bell. Although I'm pretty sure the demon bell doesn't make a difference. I still don't feel like I have his spear phase down just got lucky with the attacks the RNG chose. I almost always get caught the rare times he does a perilous sweep instead of a thrust.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Well... Done... Sekiro...

That final bossfight, so satisfying.
The first time I got to Isshin, the Sword Saint's second phase, was the time I beat him.
I probably died more to failing to dodge Genichiro's mortal draw than I did to his first form.
Nearly died to failing a lightning reversal though, but a sweet rice ball saved me, thank you Divine children.

So I did end up going for the Return ending.
After giving the strange little girl the "persimmons", I felt kind of bad for suspecting ill intent from her.
It's still... pretty weird though.

Got to the ogre in NG+ without dying, I don't remember his grabs being so hard to dodge before... Though this whole, "path of hardship" thing is interesting.
To think, NG was in easy mode :v:

I decided to look at my missing trophies, and they were mostly what I was expecting, but then I saw the missing boss fight... and the fourth ending choice I didn't have.
I was assuming it might have something to do with the red lumps... but, looking it up, I wondered what would happen if you agreed with that character.
Didn't want to spoil the fight or how it plays out, but wild you can end the game that way.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Starting NG+ charmless and the Blazing Bull can once again eat my entire rear end.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

wyoming posted:

Well... Done... Sekiro...

That final bossfight, so satisfying.
The first time I got to Isshin, the Sword Saint's second phase, was the time I beat him.
I probably died more to failing to dodge Genichiro's mortal draw than I did to his first form.
Nearly died to failing a lightning reversal though, but a sweet rice ball saved me, thank you Divine children.

So I did end up going for the Return ending.
After giving the strange little girl the "persimmons", I felt kind of bad for suspecting ill intent from her.
It's still... pretty weird though.

Got to the ogre in NG+ without dying, I don't remember his grabs being so hard to dodge before... Though this whole, "path of hardship" thing is interesting.
To think, NG was in easy mode :v:

I decided to look at my missing trophies, and they were mostly what I was expecting, but then I saw the missing boss fight... and the fourth ending choice I didn't have.
I was assuming it might have something to do with the red lumps... but, looking it up, I wondered what would happen if you agreed with that character.
Didn't want to spoil the fight or how it plays out, but wild you can end the game that way.

This must be the weirdest fight report I've seen for this game. Genichiro is a piece of piss in this fight and you have all the time in the world to walk behind him when he charges his mortal draw, and then you beat the spear phase first time? Baffling.

And yeah you really do appreciate how bullshit the Ogre grabs are when he's OHKOing you with them.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Genichiro is weak, but I found it's easy to gently caress up real fast against him, I feel I died to him more times than the old man.
But when I got past him, it only took five or six tries to get to the second phase? It wasn't a lot.
Also spear enemies are ridiculously easy in this game, it's like, the reverse of Dark Souls.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Spear Isshin is a motherfucker without the charm unless you play keep away.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
genichiro is way nastier than any of isshin's forms to me, i have no idea why. i can beat all of isshin's phases without taking damage other than from lightning reversals but gonichumi still stomps me like a third of the time

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

:psyduck:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
He gets distracted by his scraggly abs and rugged pythons

edit: and that windswept greasy eye-covering hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

WaltherFeng posted:

Butterfly is a good tutorial boss because his patterns are predictable and it's easy to pick up the correct timing.

I know it's practically a constant of the universe that goons assume everyone is a guy, but come on dude