Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 4, Episode 10 - The Strong, Silent Type

It's a darkly comic scene, meshing not just the humor and drama the show does so well but being a rare instance of Tony's family and Family being together in a scene where open discussion in front of all parties occurs. If you haven't seen it before (unlikely) you should watch this scene at least. If you have seen it before (likely) you should watch it again. It's really a remarkable scene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40HPFGvZ4ro

This scene is definitely in the Top 10 best scenes, it shows off all the characters so well, and the scene is deeply funny AND deeply sad at the same time, which is almost impossible to pull off. Everyone here is bringing their A Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Nota bene maybe: The cornicello Furio gives as a gift to AJ is similar to the one juxtaposed later in Cleaver as "the sacred and the propane".

I had also heard the horn and its variants can symbolize cuckoldry- in this case, the emotional affair Carmela is having with Furio that Tony is heretofore unaware of.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm also fairly sure Eddie from Down the Park is the same guy vomiting into the toilet in Everybody Hurts while this song plays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7WIjAEol8

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

JethroMcB posted:

When I came in to open one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet.

Your hair was in the toilet water.

Disgusting.

This is one of the funniest things in the whole series for me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Chris was a dead man the second he went to rehab and they had this intervention. There'd just be no way any of his crew could ever brush it aside or tuck it away, especially with all the other guys knowing they'd be clipped in a second for a similar offense. I went to rehab and a few people at my job know about it and it's already marked me as a fun haver and capped my ability to seek a raise or a promotion. As it stands, they can keep me around because I'm good at my job but can always hand my disease over me when they need to. I'm not even in the mob.

Something I never thought of until now:

As much as Tony loves animals I just realized how weird it is that the Sopranos don't have a dog. Or even a cat or a pet of any kind. I don't even think he has a fish tank. Wonder why that is? Tony having a cool dog seems like a natural fit for the character. Only thing I can read it as is his overall fear of commitment but he could still have a pet and pay his maid to look after it or get Carm or AJ to at least let it out in the yard while he gives it treats and enjoys the upside of it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always just assumed that was Carmela's edict, since in the very first episode she's irritated with him and the ducks. It made me really dislike her right off the bat. (I swear I'm not one of those crazy people who thinks Skylar is a worse person than Walter White. I just keep birds.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watching Calling All Cars for the first time in I guess a number of years and holy poo poo Janice is loving evil. I'd forgotten the depths she was willing to sink to.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
I don't know what this says about me but the funniest all time scene in The Sopranos for me personally is Ralphie watching Sil beat Tracee outside his apartment. The way Ralphie reacts like it's the funniest thing he's ever seen is the clincher that makes him my favorite ridiculous character in the show.

In case anyone was wondering what Tracee is up to these days... https://arielkiley.co/

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

quote:

How Riding My Rocket Ended a Lame-rear end Relationship with a Guy

A few years ago I was caught in a really lame relationship with a man.

Then he beat me to death outside of a strip club. The End.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BiggerBoat posted:

As much as Tony loves animals I just realized how weird it is that the Sopranos don't have a dog. Or even a cat or a pet of any kind. I don't even think he has a fish tank. Wonder why that is? Tony having a cool dog seems like a natural fit for the character. Only thing I can read it as is his overall fear of commitment but he could still have a pet and pay his maid to look after it or get Carm or AJ to at least let it out in the yard while he gives it treats and enjoys the upside of it.

AJ actually mentions they had a dog, but that it was run over (I think) in that episode where all his friends think he should be living in a Don Corleone style mansion with armed guards and guard-dogs.

A more depressing reason might be from how upset he was about losing his childhood dog, which we later find out in In Camelot that his piece of poo poo dad lied about his dog dying and gave it to his mistress' son as a gift.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

crispix posted:

sil gets the best deadpan lines

later on with vito's kid acting up, he says to tony "i think he was eating cat poo poo or something" and tony says "no, he took a poo poo in the shower."

Sil says, "Oh. Glad we cleared that up."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Suxpool posted:

I don't know what this says about me but the funniest all time scene in The Sopranos for me personally is Ralphie watching Sil beat Tracee outside his apartment. The way Ralphie reacts like it's the funniest thing he's ever seen is the clincher that makes him my favorite ridiculous character in the show.

In case anyone was wondering what Tracee is up to these days... https://arielkiley.co/

I thought that scene was horrible. I thought that whole episode was horrible. Second only to Employee of the Month in terms of episodes I found difficult to watch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

JethroMcB posted:

When I came in to open one morning, there you were with your head half in the toilet.

Your hair was in the toilet water.

Disgusting.

I watched the clip, knew this line was coming, and still laughed my rear end off. It's just so fuckin funny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I watched the clip, knew this line was coming, and still laughed my rear end off. It's just so fuckin funny.

Not just "Disgusting", but how Sil just sits back and turns his chin up and says "I've said my piece Chrissy", as if he'd said something profound lol

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Basebf555 posted:

Not just "Disgusting", but how Sil just sits back and turns his chin up and says "I've said my piece Chrissy", as if he'd said something profound lol

Tony's sad little "It doesn't change anything...but I can verify, he was sick for a little while" tag is just icing on the cake.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Also lol that Paulies reference for fine art and how he wants the painting of Pie o My to look is “those paintings down at the courthouse”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

AJ actually mentions they had a dog, but that it was run over (I think) in that episode where all his friends think he should be living in a Don Corleone style mansion with armed guards and guard-dogs.

A more depressing reason might be from how upset he was about losing his childhood dog, which we later find out in In Camelot that his piece of poo poo dad lied about his dog dying and gave it to his mistress' son as a gift.

I actually don't recall anything about that but it wouldn't surprise me. Always another layer to these shows that peels away on a re-watch and poo poo I didn't notice before. I've watched this series 3x straight through, countless reruns and Youtube highlight clips but I never put the "loves animals/has no pets" thing together and remembered gently caress all about a dog that got run over.

I seriously doubt it was a Carmela ground rule. Cats I could see but a dog? The gently caress is she gonna do about it? Tony buys boats and cars and basically whatever the gently caress he wants so coming home with a puppy for Christmas or a birthday wouldn't be poo poo really and would be a classic passive aggressive move to endear him to the kids. He seems so hell bent on teaching AJ responsibility that it seems like a no brainer. "did you feed/walk the dog today, AJ?" They have a big yard they can let him out in. A bigger dog would add another layer of security.

I never thought Carm was bothered by the ducks beyond Tony's weird obsession with them. It didn't strike me that she was annoyed by their presence or for pooping everywhere or anything. It was just "you and your loving DUCKS! What is it with you and those birds?" She bitched about the bird feeder attracting the bear but they were fighting, separated and she was looking to score points off him - along with the symbolism of the stashed and stolen cash.

Tony is shown over and over again to value animal's lives over human's and he owns none. That's odd to me. It never even comes up in therapy I don't think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

crispix posted:

I thought that scene was horrible. I thought that whole episode was horrible. Second only to Employee of the Month in terms of episodes I found difficult to watch.

I think it's good overall for the show to do that on occasion - show these pricks for the reprehensible human beings they are once in a while - in ways that shock us into hating a character we found ourselves rooting for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

I actually don't recall anything about that but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't remember it being hit by a car but I definitely remember him saying "we had a dog!"

IIRC it was like "We had a dog, she got sick though" something like that. It was definitely intentionally meant to kinda dispel the prestige and add to the idea that AJ isn't as rich as you'd think for a mob boss.

All building up to the girlfriend reveal being super rich. It was that scene, when they're driving around in the car looking for the strip club I think.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

Tony is shown over and over again to value animal's lives over human's and he owns none. That's odd to me. It never even comes up in therapy I don't think.

Some people are really like this. Their care or concern for animals is largely superficial- they keep the animal at arms reach so it can never disappoint them or gently caress up the idealized notion the person has of them.

The depth of the connection is part of the disconnect from reality- it's much nicer when all you have to do is love something and not feed it or pick up its poo poo. Part of it too is the person subconsciously doesn't want to disappoint the animal by revealing who they really are. Ownership opens itself to control and abuse whereas a free association like Tony has with animals is purely to his emotional benefit. And when that gets hosed up, he could literally kill someone for messing with his perfect symbiosis.

e: ^ yeah- AJ mentions the dog in one of the first scenes of Everybody Hurts when they're just sitting around

e2: and anyone who eats "beef and sausage by the carload" is perhaps ultimately unconcerned with animals beyond what they can do for him

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 22, 2019

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

crispix posted:

for me it's a toss up between that or "she was abusive to the staff!!" re: favorite sopranos line

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Chris was a dead man the second he went to rehab and they had this intervention. There'd just be no way any of his crew could ever brush it aside or tuck it away, especially with all the other guys knowing they'd be clipped in a second for a similar offense. I went to rehab and a few people at my job know about it and it's already marked me as a fun haver and capped my ability to seek a raise or a promotion. As it stands, they can keep me around because I'm good at my job but can always hand my disease over me when they need to. I'm not even in the mob.

It's mostly because animals on shows are super expensive. A single cat can cost almost 5 thousand dollars an episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's mostly because animals on shows are super expensive. A single cat can cost almost 5 thousand dollars an episode.

What about dogs though? Cats are SO much harder to film than dogs, dogs you can just train them to do something on command and then give them a treat.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Frasier dog was not cheap.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I laughed a lot at this

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
There is that old WC Fields quote about never working with children or animals in film!

I'm not really that highbrow, I had to look up who said it on my computer :coffeepal:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Some people are really like this. Their care or concern for animals is largely superficial- they keep the animal at arms reach so it can never disappoint them or gently caress up the idealized notion the person has of them.

The depth of the connection is part of the disconnect from reality- it's much nicer when all you have to do is love something and not feed it or pick up its poo poo. Part of it too is the person subconsciously doesn't want to disappoint the animal by revealing who they really are.

This makes sense to an extent. But he doted over the ducks and pie oh my. He seemed more bothered by their disappearance then than anything else. I don't know if I agree.

My mom was depressed and bipolar - the whole thing. Suicidal. Uber medicated. But she seemed to do the opposite of Tony. She surrounded herself with animals and avoided human contact whenever possible. She was crazy cat lady and her apartment reeked of cat pee and poop. She kept humans at arms length, likely for the same reasons you talk about only in reverse, but smothered herself in cats and seemed to take the exact opposite approach to what you're describing. She kept acquiring new ones. The animals always accepted her for who she was, never gave her poo poo, critical feedback or called her out beyond meowing or whatever. The cats were whatever she needed them to be and their behavior was accepted at face value because they were "only animals". They were excused and they excused her. She could project whatever emotions and feelings on them that she wanted. She thought they understood her since they couldn't articulate otherwise and likely thought she could never let THEM down.

THEY didn't care if she slept all day or watched 18 hours of TV. If she cooked dinner or took out the trash. Paid her bills or binge ahopped on QVC for poo poo she didn't need. She disliked dogs. Never wanted one. I still don't think it shakes out applying your idea to Tony though but that could just be me projecting my experience and I'm probably making too much of it but what the hell? As Tony is presented, it just makes too much sense for him to own a dog. He wouldn't have had to any of the work. He could pay someone (his maid) or make someone (his son) do the poop scooping while he basked in letting his dog lick his ice cream bowl after a long day of stealing and murdering. He spent the night with a horse he didn't own.

Sorry. I'm not trying to make a huge discussion about the dog/no dog deal but it popped in my head and seemed like something the thread might find interesting.

Bedshaped posted:

I laughed a lot at this

Same. Got me good at work yesterday. I read it in Ralph's voice and loving lost it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

What about dogs though? Cats are SO much harder to film than dogs, dogs you can just train them to do something on command and then give them a treat.

About the same, and you still have to have handlers and SPCA observers on location. It’s a lot of time and money that could be better spent , especially if the pet isn’t really central to the character or plot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BiggerBoat posted:

Sorry. I'm not trying to make a huge discussion about the dog/no dog deal but it popped in my head and seemed like something the thread might find interesting.

I find it really interesting, don't apologize!

I think there is a lot to be said for the notion that Tony is happier with an animal he can love and cherish but also one that he can walk away from/leave somebody else to deal with, then just come back later to bask in the non-judgmental love some more. When it came to Pie-O-My, even though he did go halves with Ralphie on the insurance, for everything else apart from that one emergency vet callout it was Ralphie paying for everything - stables, feed, new shoes etc - while Tony got to enjoy her company, enjoy watching her race and then collect not only his own winnings but a not-insignificant portion of Ralphie's as well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tony not wanting to be disappointed/controlled by pets certainly would be part of why he doesn't own one.

I'd also say that deep down he'd be terrified of anything happening to them. A recurring theme with Tony is how afraid of death he is and how much he hates anyone talking about mortality and sickness. Junior is the same way. If Tony owned a pet he'd have to regularly deal with death since pets don't typically live all that long.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
How different would things have gone had ajs suicide attempt succeeded ?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I doubt anything would have changed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One less kid to see Tony get shot in the diner.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think it would have driven Tony and Carmela apart to full on divorce basically immediately.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I do not believe Aristotle Onassis would have married Mrs Khrushchev.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ginette Reno posted:

Tony not wanting to be disappointed/controlled by pets certainly would be part of why he doesn't own one.

I'd also say that deep down he'd be terrified of anything happening to them. A recurring theme with Tony is how afraid of death he is and how much he hates anyone talking about mortality and sickness. Junior is the same way. If Tony owned a pet he'd have to regularly deal with death since pets don't typically live all that long.

And AJ mentioned at one point they did have a dog but she got hit by a car. That probably did a lot to Tony.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Surprised they didn't just tell AJ and Meadow that the dog went into the witness protection program.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Goodfellas is famous for having 27 actors shared with this show. How many can you name without looking it up? I only got to five.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-sopranos-and-goodfellas-shared-27-actors-a6841556.html

I was watching Casino last night and I knew Frank Vincent but when I saw Steve Schirripa I got to thinking about how of the Sopranos cast were in this movie. I didn't watch the whole thing and didn't recognize anyone else. Google doesn't turn up a definitive list but a Reddit thread says 4. Seems like it'd be more.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BiggerBoat posted:

Goodfellas is famous for having 27 actors shared with this show. How many can you name without looking it up? I only got to five.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-sopranos-and-goodfellas-shared-27-actors-a6841556.html

I was watching Casino last night and I knew Frank Vincent but when I saw Steve Schirripa I got to thinking about how of the Sopranos cast were in this movie. I didn't watch the whole thing and didn't recognize anyone else. Google doesn't turn up a definitive list but a Reddit thread says 4. Seems like it'd be more.

I haven't looked.

Off the top of my head:
Big Pussy
Paulie
Christopher
Melfi
Carmela's mom
Palmice?
Leotardo

That's all I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU