Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also compressed air starters. But yes, the worst case scenario is that you get out and crank. The same thing was true for cars until relatively recently.

Like... How recently?

I've been driving lovely older cars most of my life, was there secretly a hand crank on my old Saab 900 or whatever that I never noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Im pretty sure the hand crank went away on most cars by the depression, so "relatively recently" might be just a biiiit of a stretch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

Im pretty sure the hand crank went away on most cars by the depression, so "relatively recently" might be just a biiiit of a stretch.

From some googling, they were still around on some cars in the 60's, and even later in Europe.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that I've heard a bunch of times that the Iraq war was about oil, although I also know there's a lot more reasons involved that were often even more short-sighted. Certainly oil was a priority.

From that perspective though, was it successful? Does the US get any more oil, or have more oil-related economic interaction with Iraq than it used to before the war? I remember hearing that China bought up a lot of the oil production in the chaos, and considering how much of a trainwreck the planning of the whole operation was, I'm given to believe that even if oil was the main goal, the US would've hosed it up.

Judging by who got the contracts to develop Iraq's big oil fields I would say not really, but maybe in an indirect sense partially yes?

Famously in the run up to the Iraq war French leaders were concerned that if they did not participate, French business would be cut out of the lucrative contracts to redevelop Iraq's oil infrastructure. In hindsight however, it seems like the French were projecting based on their own policies vis a vis their former colonies. The French oil conglomerate Total S.A was award a contract to develop Iraq's Halfaya Field in exchange for a 25% in 2009. From 2007 forward Iraq granted stakes in its oil fields to many foreign oil companies, some American, but mostly from other countries including Russia and China.

Of course, just because a company like Shell is headquartered in the Hague doesn't mean Americans can't profit from it. Americans own large stakes in many of these multinational businesses, and for that reason it could be argued that maybe American leaders were acting in the interests of international capital as a whole, rather than just those businesses with headquarters in New York. It's a stretch but the theory the Iraq war was actually about oil has never exactly had its foundation in solid ground.

While there's really not much evidence the Iraq war was about oil, it's clear American leadership in the conflict were very interested in spreading economic liberalism around the world. This general desire probably helped motivate those interested in a war, and during the occupation American leaders clearly sought to implement liberalization and support free markets.

Relevant to this discussion, those big multinational corporations were able to get stakes in Iraqi oil fields after 2007 thanks to the Hydrocarbon Law. During the Saddam era Iraq's oil resources were nationalized and operated by state oil companies. However the war destroyed much of the infrastructure and caused production to collapse. Getting production back up again was a serious challenge. The Hydrocarbon law allowed foreign corporations to bid for stakes in Iraqi fields in exchange for a share of the profits, and it was written with the assistance of American advisers from the state department.

At the time this was extremely controversial in Iraq. There were a lot of people who didn't want foreign firms coming in. Of course the Iraqi state companies still retained control of a lot of production, and foreign businesses were heavily taxed, it went against a lot of people's principles. It was part of a broader push to liberalize Iraqi institutions that came with the occupation, and which was intimately linked to American ideas about how the world's economy should function.

Since 2007 however Iraqi state firms have actually taken back control of a larger share of their fields. As far as I'm aware Iraqi fears about foreign domination of oil resources have receded from public consciousness, taking a backseat to bitter disputes over regional autonomy and profit sharing.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

I have a 1988 car with a crank, but it's a Citroen made continuously from 1948 to 1990 to a 1930s design (the grand unveiling of the new model was scheduled for September 2, 1939 but some minor historical event or other got in the way and the launch was postponed for nine years...)

You could still buy cheap cars in the UK in the 1960s (and into the 1970s) with crank handles, but these were only intended for if you'd flattened the battery or for turning the engine for servicing. You could still get light trucks, vans and 4x4s with handles into the 1980s, but usually only as optional fitments.

Once cars with transverse-mounted engines became common, the provision of a crank handle became largely pointless because there was no way to get the handle to attach to the engine since the bodywork and wheels were in the way. Once engines had electronic control systems then the crank was entirely superfluous.

I'm pretty sure that Ladas and Hindustan Ambassador cars came with crank handles right to the end of their respective production runs in the current decade.

A lot of WW2 aircraft had back-up starting cranks too - Bf109, Fi156, P-40 and the Corsair are the ones that spring to mind.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Ok fine, cars in made in the US.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Squalid posted:

While there's really not much evidence the Iraq war was about oil,

Besides all the evidence, you mean? Like, in the discussions about the Raj, while the UK may not have turned a profit from the colony, but big segments of the elite certainly made out like bandits.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

sullat posted:

Besides all the evidence, you mean? Like, in the discussions about the Raj, while the UK may not have turned a profit from the colony, but big segments of the elite certainly made out like bandits.

if you would share the evidence i think i would have an easier time understanding your argument

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like... How recently?

I've been driving lovely older cars most of my life, was there secretly a hand crank on my old Saab 900 or whatever that I never noticed?

Knowing Saab? There very well may be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Squalid posted:

if you would share the evidence i think i would have an easier time understanding your argument
The broad argument here isn't that "the United States" got the oil from Iraq, in the sense that oil prices were cheaper, but that some large companies/institutional investors/very wealthy individuals in the US benefited from the impact of the Iraq war on the oil trade. Similarly, the Raj may not have turned a profit for "the UK in general," but may well have had a similar effect in the UK.

Myself I think this is one of those things that probably has some truth to it, but gets extended heavily because it is more comforting to think that someone is in charge, even if they are evil.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone profits from any sort of event. If the Iraq war shut off oil production, this would increase profits for oil producers in the US. If Iraq increased oil production, this would increase profits for people who make use of oil in the US. If the US went in carefully and blew nothing up, then it would be suspicious that they were considering the economic effectiveness of the postwar. If the US blew everything up, it would be suspicious because they are creating lucrative reconstruction contracts.

I think it's well documented at this point that the Iraq war was mainly causally about Bush's arrogant delusions.

Edit: "The oil" may be relevant in terms of making the region geopolitically important though. But that's been the case for over half a century.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 24, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FAUXTON posted:

On the upside for that particular one, it spun up a flywheel that disengaged from the starter crank when dumping its energy over to the crankshaft so you didn't end up risking having a tanker with a shattered arm

Fun fact - the sound of an inertial starter winding down is the sound used in Empire Strikes Back for the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive failing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Way to ruin the magic, jerk.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MikeCrotch posted:

Fun fact - the sound of an inertial starter winding down is the sound used in Empire Strikes Back for the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive failing

I actually remember watching a clip from the foley artist working on it. The entire sound effect of machinery failing in the background is actually a mixture of 3-4 sounds (back when this was all done on spools of magnetic tape). The MWEEP-Mweep-mweep-mweep bit everyone remembers is an engine starter as you said.

While we're ruining old show sound effects I should mention sound the TARDIS makes appearing or disappearing is a key being run along a piano-wire.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alkydere posted:

I actually remember watching a clip from the foley artist working on it. The entire sound effect of machinery failing in the background is actually a mixture of 3-4 sounds (back when this was all done on spools of magnetic tape). The MWEEP-Mweep-mweep-mweep bit everyone remembers is an engine starter as you said.

While we're ruining old show sound effects I should mention sound the TARDIS makes appearing or disappearing is a key being run along a piano-wire.
the vwoonching?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The one I remember is the laser sound effects being from hitting guy wires with hammers

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
The screaming sound of the TIE fighters flyby is a combination of an elephant trumpeting and a car driving past

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do the different tanks in WWII sound audibly different? I just realised I don't really know what they should sound like.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Depends on the engine size and type, the RPM etc.?

This was cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z88gEaY0BeY

e: gotta say I don't hear that much of a difference but I know nothing about cars

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The voice of Jar Jar Binks was created by having George Lucas recite the lines with his head deep inside his bum.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

Do the different tanks in WWII sound audibly different? I just realised I don't really know what they should sound like.

There's a story that part of the reason the disguised Panthers used during Operation Greif were unable to successfully infiltrate the American lines was because they were dressed up as M10 Wolverines, which have a diesel engine and sound absolutely nothing like a Panther. And since tanks are loud as hell and you'd typically hear it before seeing it, everyone just went "Oh poo poo, there's a Panther nearby."

At least, so the story goes.

For reference:

M4 Sherman engine sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__K2BzxR2BY

Panther:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsodIneQGzI

Wolverine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlWPPGcNw3c

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Which noise dominates more, engine or tracks? Does this change over distance? Are tanks with steel-only treads (or roadwheels) significantly louder on paved surfaces?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A few questions about the US in the Pacific:

-Were PT boats worth the bother? In Neptune’s Inferno it seemed they would swoop in, ineffectively fire torpedoes, then flee. Did they get more useful later?

-Why were Japanese shipments so unprotected? It’s crazy to read a list of “lives lost at sea by individual ships” and see how many overloaded troop ships they lost. Did they just never figure out convoys?

-How often would a US sub go out and simply never be heard from again? Was the policy to write them off after a month or so?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i'm hesitant to show my face in here after my recent transgression, but I need a recommendation. Does anyone know of any books about british colonial troops in the second world war? I ask because their contributions seem to be glossed over despite their widespread use in the cbi theater.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
This may have been covered in the previous thread, but does anybody have opinions on Drachinifel as a Youtube historian? He did a video recently on "French Pre-Dreadnoughts - When Hotels go to War" and I just can't hate anybody with a video name like that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s worth noting that the Sherman specifically had a multitude of power plants, including a gas V-8, several different gasoline radial engines, a gasoline 30 (!!!) cylinder engine comprised of five inline sixes, twin inline diesels, and a diesel radial engine.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
So I have a question.

I once read a description of the air attacks against the Bismarck, that stated that the germans were firing the main guns against the incoming swordfish. this was explained as an attempt to create waterspouts in front of the planes they would fly into and crash. At the time I shrugged it of as an improvised desperation tactic, if it even happened.
A few weeks ago I was on vacation in northern norway, and came across a small museum about the sinking of the Tirpitz. They claimed that the Tirpitz had been firing its main guns against the attacking bombers and even had pictures of a dud shell that had been found some 35 km distant.

Was this an actual doctrine of the german navy? I can't imagine that guns like that would have anywere near the prescision to engage aircraft, although they would certainly destroy any plane they hit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There were cases of allied AOP planes being "shot down" early in the Normandy campaign as the air turbulence caused by a bunch of 16" shells from naval support gunfire is enough to properly gently caress up an Aster or Piper Cub's handling. It's a desperate thing to try, but you may as well if that's all you've got.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nessus posted:

The broad argument here isn't that "the United States" got the oil from Iraq, in the sense that oil prices were cheaper, but that some large companies/institutional investors/very wealthy individuals in the US benefited from the impact of the Iraq war on the oil trade. Similarly, the Raj may not have turned a profit for "the UK in general," but may well have had a similar effect in the UK.

Myself I think this is one of those things that probably has some truth to it, but gets extended heavily because it is more comforting to think that someone is in charge, even if they are evil.

maybe to be more specific, there's not much evidence taking control of Iraqi oil production was an objective of the war, nor was creating profit by forcing Iraq to give concessions on oil fields to American firms a motivation for the invasion.

What was a motivation for the war was a general fear that Saddam's Iraq was a continuing threat to stable oil production and export from the Gulf. Given Saddam's history of invading neighboring oil rich countries it's hard to say this concern was without merit, although by 2003 his ambitions seem to have been pretty well contained. This belief was frequently expressed by influential neoconservatives like Robert Kagan. Oil was absolutely on American policymakers minds in the lead up to the Iraq war. They just that they were primarily interested in insuring a stable international supply, free from price shocks induced by pointless conflicts, rather than profiting American firms. Yeah. . . hard to say that panned out.

That said creating and spreading a liberal order was absolutely seen as in the interests of American businesses, and once boots were on the ground I'm pretty sure profit seekers began influencing the course of the occupation. It just wasn't a primary motivator.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Popular analysis of the Bush administration, like a shitload of historical organisations, seems to forget a key fact: no matter how silly the idea may seem, many people were true believers.

E: this seems to hit especially hard when it comes to most moderns talking religious conflict. Everything absolutely must be cackling Scrooges manipulating the masses because it is impossible that anyone ever genuinely cared about Catholicism vs Orthodoxy vs Protestantism vs Islam vs...

And of course the peasants of Merdeville murdered my ancestors because of usury and not because they had any religious conviction.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 24, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Medium Tank M3 in Soviet service

Queue: HMC T82, HMC M37, GMC M41, Archer, T-29-5, Avenger I, FIAT 3000, FIAT L6-40, [M13/40, M14/41, M15/42], Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks, Grosstraktor, Panzer IV/70, SU-85, KV-85, Tank sleds, Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers, IS-2 mod. 1944, Airborne tanks, Soviet WWII pistol and rifle suppressors, SU-100, DS-39 tank machinegun, Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis, Sentinel, Comet, Faustpatrone, [Puppchen, Panzerschreck, and other anti-tank rocket launchers], Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto, Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman,
M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army

Available for request:

:ussr:
T-44 prototypes
T-44 prototypes second round
T-44 production NEW
Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades
PT-76 modernizations
T-34-85M

:godwin:
German anti-tank rifles
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

:finland:
Lahti L-39

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 24, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

Medium Tank M3 in Soviet service

Queue: HMC T82, HMC M37, GMC M41, Archer, T-29-5, Avenger I, FIAT 3000, FIAT L6-40, [M13/40, M14/41, M15/42], Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks, Grosstraktor, Panzer IV/70, SU-85, KV-85, Tank sleds, Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers, IS-2 mod. 1944, Airborne tanks, Soviet WWII pistol and rifle suppressors, SU-100, DS-39 tank machinegun, Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis, Sentinel, Comet, Faustpatrone, [Puppchen, Panzerschreck, and other anti-tank rocket launchers], Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto, Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman

Available for request:

:ussr:
T-44 prototypes
T-44 prototypes second round
T-44 production NEW
Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades
PT-76 modernizations
T-34-85M
M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army

:godwin:
German anti-tank rifles
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

:finland:
Lahti L-39

You know I gotta request that Soviet Sherman.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If people want to see the True Believers in action, read Fiasco. It really was a case of people being put in charge of major Iraqi institutions because of their ideological purity to the neocon ideal rather than any kind of competence.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Knowing Saab? There very well may be.
It's designed to be serviced by one trained engineer and five conscripts in twelve minutes, using only hand tools.

Arban posted:

So I have a question.

I once read a description of the air attacks against the Bismarck, that stated that the germans were firing the main guns against the incoming swordfish. this was explained as an attempt to create waterspouts in front of the planes they would fly into and crash. At the time I shrugged it of as an improvised desperation tactic, if it even happened.
A few weeks ago I was on vacation in northern norway, and came across a small museum about the sinking of the Tirpitz. They claimed that the Tirpitz had been firing its main guns against the attacking bombers and even had pictures of a dud shell that had been found some 35 km distant.

Was this an actual doctrine of the german navy? I can't imagine that guns like that would have anywere near the prescision to engage aircraft, although they would certainly destroy any plane they hit.
The waterspout thing was tried a lot by many navies and occasionally worked if I recall correctly. The Japanese even used it for fighter direction, when the escorts spotted a raid inbound they'd fire their guns into the water in the direction of the enemy so that the CAP knew where to go because they didn't use radio direction. I'm not so sure about high angle fire against level bombers but I suppose you might as well give it a crack.

The Japanese also had gigantic "beehive" rounds for battleship main battery guns that were supposed to act like giant incendiary shotgun shells against incoming aircraft. They didn't really work out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thanks for the answer, That's one of the big things I've always wondered about the Iraq war, although many politicians wrap themselves up in elaborate fictions, so it's hard to say what the exact motivations inside their heads is in relation to how it ends up in the physical world (like they could have wanted to do a theft and they're just bad at stealing).

George Weidman, who you may remember from his video on WW1 videogames, made an interesting video on videogames teaching history that I think this thread would find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_kfcYRdIQw

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A few questions about the US in the Pacific:

-Were PT boats worth the bother? In Neptune’s Inferno it seemed they would swoop in, ineffectively fire torpedoes, then flee. Did they get more useful later?

-Why were Japanese shipments so unprotected? It’s crazy to read a list of “lives lost at sea by individual ships” and see how many overloaded troop ships they lost. Did they just never figure out convoys?

-How often would a US sub go out and simply never be heard from again? Was the policy to write them off after a month or so?

PT boats were a massive threat to ships compared to their cost and had to be dealt with. Torpedoes are dangerous and PT boats cheap but very fragile. However ocean handing capabilities and need for a forward base limited the threat. I think they were much more useful before the advent of long range air patrols.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The soldiers onboard were part of the IJN's most hated enemy, the IJA

FrangibleCover posted:

The Japanese also had gigantic "beehive" rounds for battleship main battery guns that were supposed to act like giant incendiary shotgun shells against incoming aircraft. They didn't really work out.

I've heard this before, both that they tried it and it didn't work. Presumably the USN could have did the same thing but with radar built into the shells so they could be used as a gigantic VT fuse, right?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 24, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

PT boats were a massive threat to ships compared to their cost and had to be dealt with. Torpedoes are dangerous and PT boats cheap but very fragile. However ocean handing capabilities and need for a forward base limited the threat. I think they were much more useful before the advent of long range air patrols.

Now I'm wondering if anyone ever tried to make a "PT boat carrier" to deploy swarms of them while out at sea (assuming the water allowed for it of course). It'd have to have been before we got aircraft carriers really figured out, which is a pretty narrow window.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now I'm wondering if anyone ever tried to make a "PT boat carrier" to deploy swarms of them while out at sea (assuming the water allowed for it of course). It'd have to have been before we got aircraft carriers really figured out, which is a pretty narrow window.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_boat_tender

It was actually in the small window between practical torpedoes and practical submarines, but not far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Aha, thank you!

I guess I was thinking of using the PT boats in a fleet conflict, forgetting of course that direct fleet conflicts are very rare in warfare and commerce raiding is a much more effective use of your weapons. Submarines are pretty clearly superior for the commerce raider role.