Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fitbit's business model is quantifying things you are doing anyway then telling you about it to give you a false sense of accomplishment. Who's surprised their hardware sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's "false" about the accomplishment?

Also, yes, the Versa sucks at syncing. It's a pretty stark example of how much review sites suck since you constantly see it recommended on sites like the verge.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've never really had any syncing issues, Fitbit just seems to make stuff that dies shortly after the warranty is up and always manages to include some terrible flaw in every new product they release.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do people use screen protectors? I've had this Vivoactive 3 for about three weeks and already have two scratches on it. I never use one on my phone and never have had a problem, but I guess the watch is more exposed. I just hate using screen protectors because they look terrible pretty quickly.

I normally wear inexpensive Casio watches that just tell the time and replace them after a year or two of heavy use.

Do they make a g-shock style smart watch?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does the Vivoactive have Gorilla Glass or something like that, or is it just plain plastic? My original Charge HR scratched up really quickly, my Charge 3 with Gorilla Glass did not at all.

Also, why the gently caress is Samsung releasing the GW Active 2 already? It's been announced for the 5th of August.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gorilla Glass 3. Dunno, I just run into poo poo all day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was going to put one on the Versa if I decided to keep it, which would be the first screen protector I've used in a decade.

I don't have on my Inspire HR cause it's cheap and discrete enough to not give a gently caress. I don't really look at that screen very much, anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I found a couple of protectors on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BK1PL52

https://www.amazon.com/vivoactive-JZK-All-Around-Scratch-Proof-Accessories/dp/B07RMHY95B

Not sure if a raised bezel around the screen is going to do much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't use a screen protector on my Galaxy Watch, didn't on my vivoactive 3 either. I tend to get the bezel scratched up while my watch screens are untouched. So for my Galaxy Watch I got a bezel cover, it looks great.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I ended up getting these tempered glass screen protectors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0775YTLB1

It went on very easily and cleanly, and I managed to get no air bubbles and no dust under the protector. Last time I used one of these on the cell phone screen it was a big disaster, but I think that the watch face is small enough that it's easy to apply without any defects. I can't even tell that it's on there. The scratches are still visible under the protector, but they are not as noticeable as they were without it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Should we see a price drop with the Galaxy Watch Active after the 2 announcement on Monday?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Screen protectors on loving watches holy o loving jesus. I must say I'm surprised I haven't demolished this Huawei watch yet, just yesterday again I whacked it off a doorknob (a regular occurrence) and its been no worse for wear. And my old Pebble Steel, well that was invincible.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah it's silly, but if they're aiming these towards sports and fitness, they ought to build them to handle it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I wear watches on the inside of my wrist (that's how my dad did it) and scratch the poo poo out of them when sitting at desks and banging the faces as I type.

I scratch my watches more than my phones.

I also buy cheap watches, so, meh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I wear watches on the inside of my wrist
Found your problem

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bleh, the latest update to the Galaxy Watch hosed with the heart rate sensor again. It was working generally fine the last few months, now I have regulary cases where it registers triple the actual HR and gets stuck there. loving up my graphs and stats.

How does the latest Apple Watch fare in that regard, with its oversized sensor? If the upcoming model this fall gets sleep tracking, functional autonomy and better battery life, I'm considering biting the bullet. Especially since Apple seems pro-active in regards of all that heart health poo poo, whereas Samsung just seems reactionary to whatever Apple did.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
My Garmin Vivosmart HR+ only gets two days out of a full charge anymore, so it's time to replace it. Any suggestions on what to get? I like the GPS tracking and the push notifications, but I can take or leave the HR tracking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vivoactive 3 is very good.

a forbidden love
Apr 28, 2005

"It was never meant to beep boop be"
On the topic of screen protectors, please do yourself a favor and get one. I was not aware that they made them for wearables and of course I needed one. I came around to give *MY WIFE* (we still do that around here?) a hug from behind as she was doing the dishes and my wrist and watch were at the perfect level to get crushed between my weight and the sink.

On that subject, I googled and forums searched for "replacement LCD screens for fitbit versas" with very little to no luck. The only charlatan that sells parts does so at stupid high prices ($140 for the screen [the whole thing is about $160]). Does anyone know of any good websites that could have these parts? Ebay and amazon turn up nothing as well, lots of blaze and Ionic screens (at really good prices too!), but no versa.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Considering the Fitbit is small enough that it's going to be literally glued together, I doubt it's ever going to be worth the hassle of trying to repair it. I'd just live with a scratched screen until it's time to replace it myself, it's not like the battery is going to last more than a couple years before it gets annoying anyways. :shrug:

a forbidden love
Apr 28, 2005

"It was never meant to beep boop be"

isndl posted:

Considering the Fitbit is small enough that it's going to be literally glued together, I doubt it's ever going to be worth the hassle of trying to repair it. I'd just live with a scratched screen until it's time to replace it myself, it's not like the battery is going to last more than a couple years before it gets annoying anyways. :shrug:

I'm just worried how it will affect it's water proof integrity. I got it because I can swim with it on and it would suck if I no longer had that feature.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've only had this LEM4 Pro a few days but it's a bit of a beast, and only for 80 bucks from Aliexpress. I've had to spend a few hours researching the perfect sync app (Watch Droid) and working out how to make it look and run the best (Nova of course) but the big screen and huge battery are very impressive. I'll post with more thoughts soon.

Just saw that this is for wearables that aren't Android, please don't hurt me

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uthor posted:

I picked up a Versa Lite yesterday and one of the features I wanted it for isn't working right.

I can't seem to keep the watch paired with my phone (Pixel 2) to have music controls. When I go into the settings, it says Bluetooth is off. I set it to pair, connect my phone, and the controls come up. I'm able to pause and skip tracks. Minutes later, it says "no phone connected" and when I check Bluetooth in the settings, it's back to "off".

Anything I'm missing? Otherwise, I think I'm going to return it.

I can't believe they still haven't fixed this. This was a problem since the original Versa launch and was one of the reasons I returned mine.

It's really a shame they were the ones who bought Pebble. All of that good design just wasted.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 1, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does the Galaxy Watch/Samsung Health sync on the iPhone with the Health app from Apple, or does one need to jump through hoops for that?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Isn't it funny how awful phones and related tech can be when its a 55 quintillion dollar industry that dominates the entire earth? SHOVEL OUT poo poo TO THE PUBLIC EN MASSE, WHO CARES IF IT WORKS

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah cause somebody will buy it. Duh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android 10 on my Pixel 3 has hosed up my Galaxy Watch. There's something weird with the app and service, the background sync plugin keeps crashing and something is causing the watch battery to drain rapidly. Really annoying and not sure what's wrong :(

e: okay definitely not the only one https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/galaxy-watch/heads-android-10-t3964193

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 4, 2019

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My Pebble Time battery is now lasting about a day and a half. I looked at my options and decided to buy a new battery because it still does most of what I want and that will hopefully give it a couple more years. In researching I saw that Pine64 (who does a lot of open source hardware) is working on a watch as a side project, which seems like it might be promising some day.
https://twitter.com/thepine64/status/1172648370550136832

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android 10 on my Pixel 3 has hosed up my Galaxy Watch. There's something weird with the app and service, the background sync plugin keeps crashing and something is causing the watch battery to drain rapidly. Really annoying and not sure what's wrong :(
Notifications are only partly working with my Gear Fit 2 Pro with Android 10 on my Pixel 2. It passes on some, like Facebook, Phone, and a few random others, but not the helpful ones like mail or messages. Surely something to do with changes in notifications in 10 but gently caress if I know what. There were issues with Samsung Gear software when Pie rolled out too, so not totally unexpected.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Forgot to follow up to that. It was the Samsung Pay add-on, which I can't use anyways because my bank doesn't support it. I uninstalled the plug-in, watch is back to normal. Apparently it's incompatible with Q.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Glad that got figured out.

I got all my notifications working again. The culprit was that the Gear Fit2 Plugin was out of date because it, as well as the Galaxy Wearable app, has been flagged as incompatible with the Pixel 2 on the Play Store, and both need to be sideloaded.

Of course this is all only because enjoying all this functionality requires installing FOUR DIFFERENT APPS on one's phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dear God, the constant false readings of the GW are starting to get to me. Getting stuck regularly at 2x or 3x the actual heart rate and poo poo like that. The one of 209 BPM just earlier probably takes the cake. Even the Fitbit isn't that terrible.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Alan_Shore posted:

I've only had this LEM4 Pro a few days but it's a bit of a beast, and only for 80 bucks from Aliexpress. I've had to spend a few hours researching the perfect sync app (Watch Droid) and working out how to make it look and run the best (Nova of course) but the big screen and huge battery are very impressive. I'll post with more thoughts soon.

Just saw that this is for wearables that aren't Android, please don't hurt me

I am thinking about getting the new LEM10 to play youtube when I am jogging. LEm4 is too much of a joke size for my taste.

I am also contemplating getting a Vufine for jogging but the cable management seem to be a nightmare. Both are "wearables".

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord
What're my options nowadays if I want a Pebble-like device in 2019? Loved the comfort (no HR bulge), week long battery life, ability to interact with my music (vol +,- pause/play) and read notifications. I even had a really cool homescreen that had a 30 day calendar and weather icon.

Since then, i've moved onto a Fitbit HR, which I didn't like much and lacked volume controls, and then the Apple Watch 2, which I currently have now. Its a cool device but my 3 main activities are 1)checking notifications 2)music/media controls 3)checking weather. I feel like there's a watch out there that can accomplish those things and maybe look more like a watch and less like a tech device and maybe have a much better battery life.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

As a follow up to my earlier post, the Pebble Time battery life dramatically plummeting from like 5-6 days to 1-2 days is an issue with Android 10 doing something with bluetooth that kills the battery. It seems to just affect some models like the Time and Time Round so far. I'm gonna temporarily use one of these martian notifier watches I keep getting from meh.com to tide me over until there's a fix.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wow, people still use Pebbles.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CLAM DOWN posted:

It shows the time, weather, and gives me notifications without pulling my phone out of my pocket which is all I really need. You have to switch the app to use rebble.io for things to work properly but it still works great barring the current android 10 issue. I bought mine at the end of 2016 after the kickstarter got cancelled and the money for the Time 2 was refunded so it still feels pretty new at least in watch lifetimes. I wore the same timex through high school and had a freestyle watch from the early oughts until 2014 so I figure most watches should last 5-10 years. I know that's heresy in gadget land but I mostly just want a basic watch to see what the time is and now I'm spoiled and also like weather and phone notifications.

Amusingly, I opened up the Martian notifier watch and then went to look for the app. They also went out of business so you have to grab the app from apkpure. It only shows the weather after pushing a button so I like it less than the pebble but it's fine for now.

I was going to get an android/wearos watch at some point but I want that multi day battery life and I'm not going to pay over $100 unless it's really nice.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Pebble subreddit has plenty of Pebble holdouts there (with multiple Pebbles as backup once they start dying). If it was on sale again, I'd ditch my Apple Watch instantly because:

Rexxed posted:

It shows the time, weather, and gives me notifications without pulling my phone out of my pocket which is all I really need.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Got my Pebble Time Steel a few years ago for like $70, always on display, does everything I need it to and still only needs to be charged like once a week. Nothing else really comes close currently, going to be hard when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only ditched my original Steel because I got the Huawei watch free with my new phone. And honestly, it was cool at first sometimes typing or voicing messages through the watch but I seldom ever really use that poo poo. Though I do use tap almost daily so thats the one thing I would miss.