Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Alkydere posted:

Also the Brits seem to have a long history of hating their tank crews so the increased pain of repairing a multibank was likely a non-issue.

Reminds me of how the British had a significantly higher casualty rate than the Americans in their Shermans, because British tankers wore soft berets instead of helmets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Also the Brits seem to have a long history of hating their tank crews so the increased pain of repairing a multibank was likely a non-issue.

Maybe it might be a bit different with what's basically a car engine? But I find it hard to imagine tank crews as opposed to actual mechanics in the rear did serious repair work on their engines.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

GotLag posted:

Reminds me of how the British had a significantly higher casualty rate than the Americans in their Shermans, because British tankers wore soft berets instead of helmets

Tanker helmets don't seem like they'd protect you from much more than bumping your head inside the tank? But then again it must have been very confusing for the drivers that their seat was on the wrong side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nenonen posted:

Tanker helmets don't seem like they'd protect you from much more than bumping your head inside the tank? But then again it must have been very confusing for the drivers that their seat was on the wrong side.

Bumping your head is pretty bad, but so is shrapnel.

Obviously this can happen when the tank is penetrated.

It can also happen when it isn’t. The shock of the shell bouncing can break pieces off the inside face of the tank and send them flying. It’s called “spalling”.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, if there had been Tsushima 2.0 and Japan had won it, we'd all be posting in here (in German) asking why didn't America use its subs to sink Japanese naval ships rather than futile efforts to interdict Japan's transports.

Well some of us wouldn't be here, actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone who was conceived after the war wouldn’t be here because the slightest change would scramble half of their genes and result in a different person. It eould snowball from there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Nenonen posted:

Crewmembers in armed vehicles don't have restraints because all of them (besides maybe the driver) have to move around too much to do their jobs while buckled up. Also tanks drive a lot cross country across dips and bumps and such.

Ever ridden in a vehicle driving off-road? Imagine how much you bump around even when restrained by a seatbelt when the vehicle is going somewhat slow. Or when you hit a pothole on the road. Now imagine yourself unrestrained and that vehicle is hauling rear end as fast as it can go across rough terrain because reasons (there are a multitude in the military:"people shooting at us" "people shooting at our friends" "we were ordered to" "it's lunch time at the base canteen" "we were bored" etc.) You're gonna be bouncing around in that armored vehicle like peas in a tin can, and the human body is guaranteed to be the softest, squishiest thing in the vehicle. When your head hits the optics, when your arm hits the breach, when your knee bashes into the hull you're the one that loses that match every time.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gnoman posted:

The US Minnow torpedo boats were able to carry enough fuel for a 3-hour tour.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Everyone who was conceived after the war wouldn’t be here because the slightest change would scramble half of their genes and result in a different person. It eould snowball from there.

Well yeah but you know what I meant, a not-insubstantial portion of "us" assuming we somehow existed would have been murdered by fascists for the crime of existing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I feel like if there was a Tsushima style victory for Japan the US would have sighed and put in orders for another ten aircraft carriers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Imagine having more engines than you have tanks to do with

All this engine talk is just making me more excited for that sim where you restore WW2 vehicles from the ground up.

GotLag posted:

Surviving crew members crowded outside in a ditch while their Firefly burns, somebody mutters 'This would never have happened if we wore our tin hats.'

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

All this engine talk is just making me more excited for that sim where you restore WW2 vehicles from the ground up.

Surviving crew members crowded outside in a ditch while their Firefly burns, somebody mutters 'This would never have happened if we wore our tin hats.'

http://www.mortarinvestments.eu/products/tanks-2/t-34-35

goon project?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I also want to do this too!! How many hulls do you have? I'd love to print the Yamato.

At the moment I just have the Iowa, Deutschland, and a Clemson-class (old WW1) destroyer. But I only haven't been making more because I've been focusing on other parts of the game, little things like "the AI doesn't steer directly into obstacles" and "guns shoot where you aim them". I will at minimum have all of the iconic WW2 ships from US/UK/JP/DE, and yes, I'll be doing my best to make some ridiculous pagoda bridges, though I'm kind of dreading having to model all of those little bits.

To be clear, I'm not modeling in enough detail to be able to satisfy someone who knows what the ships are supposed to look like. My goal is modularity, basically letting you kitbash your own Frankenstein ship out of a library of hulls and parts.

(I have a project.log thread where I post more regular updates, since I don't want to be spamming a bunch of different threads about the project)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

SeanBeansShako posted:

US and Soviet tanker helmets protected the wearer's head from the tank, not from bullets or shrapnel.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 25, 2019

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you think about it, welding five small engines together to make one big engine sounds like something you hear as an explanation of why some Heinkel Uberbomber didn't fly until 1944 despite being ordered in 1938, or why an experimental British tank caught fire the first time they turned it on.

Except America did it, and it more or less worked.

It seems to happen reasonably often. That big ritzy 6-liter V-12 rich guys could order in their Aston Martin until last year? It was prototyped as two Ford V-6s with a common crank.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Germany used local pine resin for industrial purposes during WW1, WW2, and in the GDR. They used basically the same technique as in cutting trees for latex - cut the bark, collect the resin (pics at link). The resin was used to make rosin and turpentine. The GDR produced a respectable 12k tons of resin per year. Kinda neat.

https://www.nordkurier.de/ganz-schoen-klebrig-das-harzen-2728670805.html

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Did ze Germans give tankers helmets?

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

Milo and POTUS posted:

People said last thread that the harbour defence motor launches were originally destined to sail (quite literally) to the Caribbean. Given their armament and intended destination (according to the wiki ,they eventually ended up in the Mediterranean) I guess they were meant for anti-sub patrol boats mainly. Other than general interdiction what goods were the germans hoping to stop from being trafficked? Sugar seems most obvious, right? What goods were the Caribbean holdings contributing to the war effort

The HDMLs weren't built to sail to the Caribbean, they were built to be carried as deck cargo on merchant ships, and to be simple enough that they could be built in local shipyards. A few vessels were given sailing rig for extended range, yes, but this was just eight boats from the 486 built.

HDMLs were anti-submarine patrol boats. As their name suggests, they were meant to protect harbours from submarines trying to infiltrate them and sink ships inside. While no HDMLs made it to the Caribbean, a number of the older Fairmile B motor launches were operated by the Trinidad Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (which drew men from all the British-held Caribbean islands), some of which were built on Jamaica, as well as two minesweepers built on the Cayman Islands. The Trinidad RNVR had been established primarily to protect the oil fields and refineries on Trinidad, which provided just under 40% of the oil used by the British Empire during the 1930s. Trinidad also had the largest asphalt lake in the world. Guiana, meanwhile, was a key producer of bauxite ore for aluminium. Trinidad was a useful base for protecting the shipping carrying this, as well as ships heading to the Panama Canal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JcDent posted:

Did ze Germans give tankers helmets?

It's nazis. Who among nazis considers practicality before they consider making the master race look sexy?

Wehrmacht panzer crews get to wear proper fascist blackshirts instead of the less famous but very nazi brownshirts.

E: and in honour of my grandfather who'd probably be disgusted at the idea of a gay jewish grandson and the fact that Alsace is in Grand-Est now, a special shout-out to the non-functional uniform of the air force panzer division

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 25, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

GotLag posted:

This sounds apocryphal. Any difference would surely be swamped by the differences in the fighting they faced on their sectors of the front.

EDIT: My googling doesn't show up anything, anyway.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 25, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

GotLag posted:

US and Soviet tanker helmets protected the wearer's head from the tank, not from bullets or shrapnel.

I know what the head gear is for.

Most tank crew get the gently caress out fast when things go south so I feel while it does protect you from spalling or debris at certain angles a beret or soft cap isn't going to get caught on a lever or gear stick and cost you those few precious seconds from understanding why your tank burns quick fast.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 25, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fangz posted:

This sounds apocryphal. Any difference would surely be swamped by the differences in the fighting they faced on their sectors of the front.

It's late and I need to go to bed but I remember the number being somewhere just under 1 KIA per Sherman knocked out in US service, and higher for the British Army.
I think Chieftain mentioned it in one of his videos, or it might have been one of the tankfest lectures. I can't remember if they had a figure for Soviet Shermans.

Regardless, not having a helmet is going to mean you are more likely to suffer injuries (be they major or minor) from hitting your head during violent manoeuvres, such as losing a track to a mine, or rolling into a ditch, or any of the other exciting things that can happen to a tracked vehicle.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Most tank crew get the gently caress out fast when things go south so I feel while it does protect you from spalling or debris at certain angles a beret or soft cap isn't going to get caught on a lever or gear stick and cost you those few precious seconds from understanding why your tank is nicknamed a Ronson lighter.

"Ronson" is a post-war invention

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 25, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SeanBeansShako posted:

I know what the head gear is for.

Most tank crew get the gently caress out fast when things go south so I feel while it does protect you from spalling or debris at certain angles a beret or soft cap isn't going to get caught on a lever or gear stick and cost you those few precious seconds from understanding why your tank is nicknamed a Ronson lighter.

I don't think a soft helmet is going to be any different from a hat in that aspect.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fangz posted:

Yep, for instance in Normandy the British sector was ideal tank country but also ideal country for big honking AT guns and Panzerjägers with 88mm guns to take out tanks from distance. The US sector OTOH was full of bocage and advancing required meticulous combined arms teamwork where tank destroyers would be giving close support to infantry grunts. This difference also meant that if a British Sherman had to be abandoned, the crew would be in the middle of an open field and vulnerable to all kinds of direct and indirect fire, whereas a US crew was likely less than 100 yards from the closest treeline if they had to run.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't think a soft helmet is going to be any different from a hat in that aspect.

A beret doesn't have chin straps, liners or weight. I might be wrong about the lighter thing but it certainly isn't going to catch on stuff or weight somebody getting out of a hatch fast. While a hard helmet might have some advantage a beret is a reasonable alternative with some function.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
http://www.big-red-one.org/M1938%20TANK%20HELMET%20INFO%20PAGE.htm
<2 lb for the helmet (including headphones and goggles), lighter than I expected

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Eagerly waiting for the thread conclusion on tankhelmetgate.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The only comparison of British and US crew casualties I can find is page 63 of http://cdm16635.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16635coll14/id/56035 which supposes that differences in casualty rates are driven by the ranges involved.

A thing to note is that the report points out that actually about half of crew casualties are incurred *outside* the tank.

EDIT: There's a big old archive of transcribed casualties reports from British tanks (warning, can be grisly) at

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?tags/wo-2051165/

From my read of a random sampling I don't see many examples of injuries that could be prevented by a helmet.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 25, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

JcDent posted:

Eagerly waiting for the thread conclusion on tankhelmetgate.

I mean I am hat biased and not going to get in a fight, to take this further we must pour over the data and see.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How about the whole thing of UK Shermans being overloaded with ammo or having ammo in hull instead of racks that's usually attributed for being the partial reason of Ronson myth?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GotLag posted:

For that matter, no helmets protected from bullets until Kevlar. A steel pot helmet might deflect a glancing blow from a rifle or MG, but even a pistol at close range will barely be stopped. Helmets protected from bumps, raining debris from artillery strikes, and minor fragments.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JcDent posted:

How about the whole thing of UK Shermans being overloaded with ammo or having ammo in hull instead of racks that's usually attributed for being the partial reason of Ronson myth?

Proper ammo storage and handling are anathema to the soul of the British military

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wouldn't not wearing any kind of hat get in the way even less?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Proper ammo storage and handling are anathema to the soul of the British military

I thought that was "a working engine"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

MORE DAKKA old boy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Half the time they'd be wearing just their shorts if they are fighting hot climates but I will loving argue about military hats don't test me.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did Warsaw Pact introduce a real tanker helmet at any point? I think they only have that black padded thing, which makes sense: head protected from shunts and bumps, there's a frame for comms equipment, yet it's not bulky or heavy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Come to think about if they needed a firm hat alternate they have the motorcycle helmets made of cork.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

Did Warsaw Pact introduce a real tanker helmet at any point? I think they only have that black padded thing, which makes sense: head protected from shunts and bumps, there's a frame for comms equipment, yet it's not bulky or heavy.

It also looks swag af?

:shrug:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GotLag posted:

Was there truth to the story about how Japanese tank armor was so thin that enemy anti-tank guns had to use explosive shells instead of AP?

Also, did any Italian tankers really drown in the desert when their water cooled engines got shot?

(Also, thanks for responses regarding Japanese convoys and PT boats, those were informative)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was there truth to the story about how Japanese tank armor was so thin that enemy anti-tank guns had to use explosive shells instead of AP?

Also, did any Italian tankers really drown in the desert when their water cooled engines got shot?

(Also, thanks for responses regarding Japanese convoys and PT boats, those were informative)

If you happen to live in the Bay Area CA there’s a Sea Scout group that works with a ship named the Liberty. Still goes out. I’ve been on it before. Pretty cool. It’s kept in Rio Vista.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 25, 2019