Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Regarding the PT boats, it's also worth mention that the US put a lot of effort into making the Japanese operate under their air umbrella. So PT boats let them make hiding during the day a prohibitively risky option for Japanese cargo ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you think about it, welding five small engines together to make one big engine sounds like something you hear as an explanation of why some Heinkel Uberbomber didn't fly until 1944 despite being ordered in 1938, or why an experimental British tank caught fire the first time they turned it on.

Except America did it, and it more or less worked.

Well, it did help that not only was the flathead six a simple and mature design, but the Multibank only needed to generate ~350 horsepower compared to the 2,000 horses that Germany was trying to squeeze out of their franken-engines.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 25, 2019

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

chitoryu12 posted:

For that matter, no helmets protected from bullets until Kevlar. A steel pot helmet might deflect a glancing blow from a rifle or MG, but even a pistol at close range will barely be stopped. Helmets protected from bumps, raining debris from artillery strikes, and minor fragments.

So you acknowledge that a close range pistol shot will be stopped, yet do not consider this protection from bullets? Also, how much more protection do you think kevlar helmets offer?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why the gently caress are you anglais like this

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

So you acknowledge that a close range pistol shot will be stopped, yet do not consider this protection from bullets? Also, how much more protection do you think kevlar helmets offer?

Barely be stopped means hit in head with hammer.

https://youtu.be/lvBHq5PW0Ag

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LingcodKilla posted:

Why does shooting a helmet with a handgun take eight loving minutes?

no one cares bang bang done I don't want to watch you goatee loser.

e: spoiler alert the stalhelm does not prevent your glorious aryan skull from being brainsplattered if someone shoots you in the head with a pistol

e2: why is a company making helmets with swastika logos in 2019

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 25, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why does shooting a helmet with a handgun take eight loving minutes?

well it's not actually me sheesh

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Anyway here's an article I found with twenty seconds of googling all about US Army tank helmets.

Key takeaways:

quote:

The 1919 pattern “Helmet, Tank” owes its existence to famous American tanker, George S. Patton, Jr. Prior to taking command of, and opening, the American Expeditionary Force (AEF) Light Tank Center and School in December 1917. Patton was an observer at the French Tank School and later the British Tank Center. Patton made observations at these schools along with recommendations for his own Light Tank School and kept these in a simple spiral note pad.

Written on a page from this 1917 note pad is a list of items and intended recommendations, under item number 13 is the notation “Helmet or head guard.” This is the first instance of an official recommendation for an American tank helmet (FIG.B). Patton followed up this notation in an official report to the Chief of the Tank Services on the 12 December 1917 in which he noted:

‘Leather helmets like those worn by football players or aviators, but without ear pieces, must be provided for the crews to prevent their being knocked unconscious when going over rough ground.’

quote:

The cavalry style tank helmet provided a modicum of bump protection to the wearer’s head, much more than the 1919 Pattern tank helmet which was still in use; however, as armor technology progressed, the cavalry style helmet began to show its disadvantages. The main complaints included its lack of any real ballistic protective qualities, the cheek or side pieces were not configured to accept radio receivers, and there were only three sizes available—small, medium, and large.

So you have the primary reason the helmet exists—to protect crewmen from getting knocked out or concussed inside their tanks. There was an awareness for the need for ballistic protection, but it wasn't a priority and the helmets wouldn't stop too much in the way of spalling or shrapnel.

Would still rather have one than a fuckin' beret though.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol come the gently caress on

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I do like that while Patton was doing the tank helmet thing MacArthur was all about getting that sword out.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

/

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

It displaced twenty‐one litres and made less power than the General Motors 6046, which displaced a third the amount and had one‐fifth the number of cylinders.

This owns. Does anyone else have any WWII era ads from Chrysler? A certain tank based video game company wants me to write an article on a car manufacturer that transitioned into building tanks and I'm pretty hard pressed for illustrations.

Also does anyone have a copy of their 1940 film "The Tanks are Coming"? Looks like it used to be on archive.org but got removed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Even the 70s-vintage PAGST helmet was light years better than a steel helmet. The new Enhanced Combat Helmet was specified to be 35% more effective against penetration than the ACH that replaced the PAGST, while being lighter, and exceeded the specification.

I’ll take any Kevlar or composite helmet over a steel pot, any day.

(The ECH is actually plastic.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The other thing is that British tankers *did* have helmets, they just didn't like to wear them. (Possibly it was hot and uncomfortable?)

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-B...ker-helmets-had
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30100904
https://www.quora.com/Why-didnt-British-tankers-wear-helmets-in-WWII

Anyway I don't see a single authoritative source for the 'british had significantly more casualties because of not wearing helmets' question so I feel like this story is pretty much debunked at this point. Speculatively I suspect helmets are a bigger deal during peacetime than wartime, since during peacetime accidents are what you worry about, not 88mms.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 25, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The greatest threat to a soldier in WW2: being shot at close range in the helmet with a .45.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Brits did have tanker helmets from the get go, but for some reason tankers preferred not to use them?

Lend Lease tanks came with American issue helmets, and in 1944 a new steel helmet based on the British airborne troopers helmet came. But you don't see them in photographs a lot. According to various internet sources steel helmets were mostly used when dismounted or when in open-topped vehicles. US crews would also put the steel shell of an infantry helmet on their tanker rigging when serving in tank destroyers and other open-toppers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

The greatest threat to a soldier in WW2: being shot at close range in the helmet with a .45.

'Hans I just got the greatest idea what we can mount on top of these GOLIATH!'

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

shoot the German in the face, not the helmet, got it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What's with this helmets stopping bullets nitpicking?

Yes, helmets were designed primarily to stop shrapnel until quite a lot later.
But yes, helmets can also in limited cases provide protection from bullets.
And yes, protection from pistol calibres is still some protection, given the proliferation of SMGs during WWII.

Here's a test by Soviets during WWII focusing on shooting various guns at helmets.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/08/whose-helmet-was-better.html

This shows
(a) that helmets can be protection, at least sometimes.
(b) the degree of protection they offered is something the Soviets cared about.

EDIT:

I mean I don't know why we're finding the idea of firing a .45 ACP at a Stahlhelm ridiculous given that I suspect a pretty big proportion of bullets fired at Germans in WWII was from the PPSh.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 25, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you know what's way more interesting than world war II helmet slap fighting is how amazing modern plastic helmets are

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nenonen posted:

Brits did have tanker helmets from the get go, but for some reason tankers preferred not to use them?

Lend Lease tanks came with American issue helmets, and in 1944 a new steel helmet based on the British airborne troopers helmet came. But you don't see them in photographs a lot. According to various internet sources steel helmets were mostly used when dismounted or when in open-topped vehicles. US crews would also put the steel shell of an infantry helmet on their tanker rigging when serving in tank destroyers and other open-toppers.

The same dudes who thought bright red berets were more tactical than green helmets: a good source

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

Ah, the SS experience.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

For that matter, no helmets protected from bullets until Kevlar.
* gazes at you in seventeenth century *

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

For that matter, no helmets protected from good bullets until Kevlar.
Fixed for HEY GUNS.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

What's with this helmets stopping bullets nitpicking?

Yes, helmets were designed primarily to stop shrapnel until quite a lot later.
But yes, helmets can also in limited cases provide protection from bullets.
And yes, protection from pistol calibres is still some protection, given the proliferation of SMGs during WWII.

Here's a test by Soviets during WWII focusing on shooting various guns at helmets.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/08/whose-helmet-was-better.html

This shows
(a) that helmets can be protection, at least sometimes.
(b) the degree of protection they offered is something the Soviets cared about.

EDIT:

I mean I don't know why we're finding the idea of firing a .45 ACP at a Stahlhelm ridiculous given that I suspect a pretty big proportion of bullets fired at Germans in WWII was from the PPSh.

Because most of those bullets, statistically, aren’t going for the portion of the head covered by a helmet. Protecting from SMGs and handguns was a happy accident, not the main reason for their existence or the main threat to be protected against.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The same dudes who thought bright red berets were more tactical than green helmets: a good source

Paratroopers had helmets though. Like several variants.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Is there a canon reason for why nobody found them? You'd figure they'd check every island in a 3 hour's sail. Do boats not file flight plans

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is there a canon reason for why nobody found them? You'd figure they'd check every island in a 3 hour's sail. Do boats not file flight plans

Ocean big

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Skipper disliked

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

There's heavier helmet setups that can stop 7.62x39. And I'm not talking barely being stopped (which in helmets means irrevocable brain damage, backface deformation is a huge deal in a successful stop). As an example, the slaap plate for ops-core helmets defeats 7.62x39 mild steel core at 2,400 fps with less than an inch of backface deformation. You know, in case you want to be able to take an AKM shot from as close as you can get without it being a contact shot.

Generally you'd rather not put that much weight on, but I believe that you can actually have enough protection on a helmet that the backface deformation or penetration doesn't kill, it's the energy transferred into the head breaking the neck.

Compared to 9mm barely stopped by a steel helmet at somewhere near 400 ft lbf, I know someone who's taken a .460 Rowland (which carries a whopping 1100 ft lbf of energy, twice that) upside the head and survived with a concussion.

bewbies posted:

you know what's way more interesting than world war II helmet slap fighting is how amazing modern plastic helmets are

Yeah, holy crap modern polyethylene/aramid fabric laminates are really impressive things. A particularly nice high cut helmet can stop a 9mm round at an overall weight of 2.5 pounds or less for the whole system on a large helmet. That includes much better padding for impacts and a bunch of attachment points.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 26, 2019

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

xthetenth posted:

Compared to 9mm barely stopped by a steel helmet at somewhere near 400 ft lbf, I know someone who's taken a .460 Rowland (which carries a whopping 1100 ft lbf of energy, twice that) upside the head and survived with a concussion.

Whats the story with your friend getting shot in the head? Because it sure does sound like a good one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

Skipper disliked

going around smacking people with a goofy hat will do that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Whats the story with your friend getting shot in the head? Because it sure does sound like a good one.

My gut tells me 'negligent discharge'

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CoffeeBooze posted:

Truth is... game was rigged from the start.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PittTheElder posted:

My gut tells me 'negligent discharge'

Given the chambering, almost certainly. I'm guessing the guy was nowhere near ready for the recoil and ND'd one off his helmet trying not to drop the gun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That seems the sort of thing you'd never live down

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, looking ally is always more important than personal safety, why is this controversial

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

How about the whole thing of UK Shermans being overloaded with ammo or having ammo in hull instead of racks that's usually attributed for being the partial reason of Ronson myth?

I have a theory that the idea the Sherman was called the 'Ronson' comes not from any reputation of them lighting up all the time, but simply conflating the regular Sherman with 'Ronson' flamethrower tank, a Sherman fitted with the Canadian 'Ronson' flamethrower, so named because of the lighter. Once you have a specific version of the Sherman - one that's not even easily identifiable as special unless you know what you're looking for - named 'Ronson', it's easy to think that nickname applies to all Shermans.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Fangz posted:

EDIT

It depends on what it’s fired from and what cartridge is being fired. A pistol calibre cartridge fired out of a SMG will be going faster than it would out of a pistol, much longer barrel for it to accelerate through. A .45 out of an M3 is about a hundred feet per second faster than one out of a 1911. Beyond that, .45 ACP is a big bore projectile travelling relatively slowly, I’d wager that a smaller projectile like 7.62 Tokarev that travels much faster would do a much better job of defeating steel helmets than .45 ACP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean I am hat biased and not going to get in a fight, to take this further we must pour over the data and see.

But what will alcohol solve in this instance?