Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Lmao. Bethany Mclean straight up ripped Enron open with her first article about how it was incomprehensible how Enron made their money..

She was also interviewed for the Theranos doc I recall.

Just loving lol if she starts looking into your lovely company...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eric Berger posted:

... The full-scale Starship, which will launch into space on a rocket called "Super Heavy," is planned to have six engines; it will be capable of landing on and taking off of distant worlds, including the Moon and Mars.

By using two different teams of engineers, SpaceX is following a rapid, iterative process of technology development for the unprecedented spacecraft. it is unclear how long it will take to get everything right, including the difficult process of re-entering Earth's atmosphere without burning up ...

why is eric berger allowed to write anything?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I was late for work today because a Tesla Model S rear ended another car on the highway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well I'm sure a fire truck was close by to help.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

That Joe Rogan interviewing Elon Musk interview is amazing because I'd be hard pressed to think of two other people I would like to smoke weed with less.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

That Joe Rogan Elon Musk interview is amazing because I'd be hard pressed to think of two other people I would like to smoke weed with less.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

orange sky posted:

lmfao look at who wrote this and then google her name

this is gonna be a shitshow

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
At the time, Musk was still a heroic figure to many. As former Tesla board member Nancy Pfund once said, “He’s always been a master of the universe in my mind.” Even Tesla skeptics admit that the Model S, which was launched in 2012, will go down in history as an absolute classic, followed by the equally celebrated Model X in 2015.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

yeah, lots of unnamed sources and “people say” kind of statements in there. i love the headline but the actual article is frustrating.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
someone close to Agronox said they are right

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
no smoke without lithium ion fire

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

love the rockets

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Agronox posted:

yeah, lots of unnamed sources and “people say” kind of statements in there. i love the headline but the actual article is frustrating.

when Enron broke it was pretty similar. lots of unnamed sources and poo poo from people who can't or won't go on record so early. the theranos reveal was also the same. the unnamed sources get revealed once they feel they won't have to fend off lawyers constantly after the scandal is revealed

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

At the time, Musk was still a heroic figure to many. As former Tesla board member Nancy Pfund once said, “He’s always been a master of the universe in my mind.” Even Tesla skeptics admit that the Model S, which was launched in 2012, will go down in history as an absolute classic, followed by the equally celebrated Model X in 2015.

No one celebrated the Model X. Ithink the only thing it managed was "Wow! The doors don't fall off!"

It will only be remembered by car weirdos like me, that think terrible automobiles are fascinating.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Number19 posted:

when Enron broke it was pretty similar. lots of unnamed sources and poo poo from people who can't or won't go on record so early. the theranos reveal was also the same. the unnamed sources get revealed once they feel they won't have to fend off lawyers constantly after the scandal is revealed

Sure, but there's mundane stuff that it's just lazy not to source. Like:

quote:

Even Tesla skeptics admit that the Model S, which was launched in 2012, will go down in history as an absolute classic, followed by the equally celebrated Model X in 2015.

Like who? I can't think of any "skeptic" who would "equally celebrate" the X even if they turned around and loved car (S).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

what has two wings and loves the model X?

this guy
*presses button on app, doors start to lift at different rates for some reason*

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We're gonna sell these solar panels like hot plates!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I had to endure my friends dad showing off his dancing falconwing model X in front of the whole neighborhood. if you haven’t seen it, imagine the dumbest looking car opening and closing its doors in sync with a full volume prog instrumental. it lasts around four minutes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Can't say they don't know their customer very well

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A MIRACLE posted:

I had to endure my friends dad showing off his dancing falconwing model X in front of the whole neighborhood. if you haven’t seen it, imagine the dumbest looking car opening and closing its doors in sync with a full volume prog instrumental. it lasts around four minutes

:whitewater:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Owning an Model 3 is amazing, but getting moderate repairs takes an eternity

I guess this is the reality of buying a "boutique" car from a somewhat still-a-start-up car company... but long story short: some guy backed into my parked Model 3 way back in early March. Rear bumper was scuffed a bit. Fortunately I saw the guy, confronted him, got his insurance info, driver's license, license plate, etc. (Dude had tried to flee. A-hole.) Anyway, filed a claim, found a repair shop, and waited... and waited... and now it is late August, and they still don’t have an available replacement rear bumper from Tesla?! And this is a Tesla authorized repair shop! Anyway, so far this has been one of the only downsides to owning this otherwise amazing car.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Wired posted:

Teleoperations is a little discussed but vital element of putting self-driving tech into the world. The serious players in this space aren’t about to let their robots into the world without the ability to drive, or at least direct them from afar. Waymo, General Motors’ Cruise, Nutonomy, Zoox, Drive.ai, Uber, and Nissan are all quietly developing teleoperation systems.

https://www.wired.com/story/designated-driver-teleoperations-self-driving-cars/?verso=true

So the biggest names in self-driving tech, Waymo is almost certainly light years ahead of Tesla on self-driving are like, yeah, we need to tap the brakes on the 100% self-driving thing, but Tesla is like, any day now, FSD will be ready to deploy.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A MIRACLE posted:

I want to walk into the car while this is happening so it kicks my rear end into a coma so I forget I saw that happening

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like when I buy a boutique car it is birthed from a tent.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Owning an Model 3 is amazing, but getting moderate repairs takes an eternity

I guess this is the reality of buying a "boutique" car from a somewhat still-a-start-up car company... but long story short: some guy backed into my parked Model 3 way back in early March. Rear bumper was scuffed a bit. Fortunately I saw the guy, confronted him, got his insurance info, driver's license, license plate, etc. (Dude had tried to flee. A-hole.) Anyway, filed a claim, found a repair shop, and waited... and waited... and now it is late August, and they still don’t have an available replacement rear bumper from Tesla?! And this is a Tesla authorized repair shop! Anyway, so far this has been one of the only downsides to owning this otherwise amazing car.

Ahh yes, the boutique basically a start up company that was founded (not by Elon) in 2003 and has a market cap of almost $40B

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
five months ago my world fell apart

the rear bumper on my car was scuffed a bit

i still haven't been able to move on

i'm constantly reliving that day, thinking of all the things i could have done differently

still love the car though, it's amazing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

dude tried to flee, but when he saw the tesla badge, he knew there was no escape and threw himself upon my mercy, heh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Blackhawk posted:

"Traditional, mechanically-operated louvres belong to the past, as airflows are now controlled both digitally and fully automatically (“Virtual Airflow Control”). "

WHY

cars becoming too efficient, gotta spend some more wattes on cpu power. every little bit helps! lmfao

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd also try to flee after lightly denting a Tesla. You can be sure it will cost a loving fortune to repair and you can be sure the other guy will be a colossal rear end in a top hat about it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

why is eric berger allowed to write anything?

yah deffo get a sense that ars recognized that anything musk gets clicks from some target audience so they acquiesce to ~coverage~

:capitalism:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I hadn't checked on the Star Citizen thread in a while. At least bazingas get a product (sometimes).

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Bulgakov posted:

yah deffo get a sense that ars recognized that anything musk gets clicks from some target audience so they acquiesce to ~coverage~

:capitalism:

Berger has been writing about how NASA's programs are dooooomed for several years and how Musk is our only hope of really saving the space program. He used to write at least one piece about it a month or so, but now has changed to writing one everytime SLS has something go well (in a vein of "yes well this is still awful and Musk will be flying BFR soon"). Several times in the last year, stories he "broke" were directly refuted by NASA management which was quickly tagged as "Old Space conspiracy to keep Musk down" by the bazingas, but it has been amusing to see some pushback to his fanboyism. He also pops into the appropriate subreddits to troll people, often going to the SLS subreddit to post things like "Got a new story coming up soon! You guys will appreciate it"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Watertower live!

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1166120736538288129

edit: *fart noise*

Failson has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Aug 27, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

the test aborted

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

the windows are safe... for now...

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyPkg0yXzM

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
epic

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

"must see"

but is it?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

if they'd let you do that with your own music (and more just the lights than making things waggle around) that could actually be a cool trick. If you're into putting LEDs under your car and cruising around then maybe you'd be into having the lights pulse with the bass or whatever

but no, it's like the demo button on a casio keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Wait. Are you people saying the car actually does that out of the box?