Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But what will alcohol solve in this instance?

at a high enough proof it should sanitize the data being poured over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So do you guys actually want to talk about lesser known WW2 head gear or?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SeanBeansShako posted:

So do you guys actually want to talk about lesser known WW2 head gear or?

Hell yeah.

:justpost:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well here is a video that explains the development and progression of paratrooper helmets during said war for one.

I am also trying to find some sort of evidence on the internet about the modern shaped looking helmets worn by Despatch riders of the Army as well but oddly enough I can't find it and I never book marked the loving page I saw in April so balls.

Said helmet looked like a cork baby of an army helmet and a flight helmet combined.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well here is a video that explains the development and progression of paratrooper helmets during said war for one.

I am also trying to find some sort of evidence on the internet about the modern shaped looking helmets worn by Despatch riders of the Army as well but oddly enough I can't find it and I never book marked the loving page I saw in April so balls.

Said helmet looked like a cork baby of an army helmet and a flight helmet combined.

The kind Dick is wearing?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But what will alcohol solve in this instance?

Alcohol is by definition a solution.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think that is the one yeah. Thanks Dick.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think that is the one yeah. Thanks Dick.

Here is another worn by the guy in the back with the white scarf. I don't know what helmet the guy kneeling is wearing though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think that is actually one of the first models of trying to find a Paratrooper helmet that works too.

Those early paratrooper helmets might seem weirdly familiar to you guys by the way. I think they were reused as props in the first Star Wars trilogy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LatwPIAT posted:

I have a theory that the idea the Sherman was called the 'Ronson' comes not from any reputation of them lighting up all the time, but simply conflating the regular Sherman with 'Ronson' flamethrower tank, a Sherman fitted with the Canadian 'Ronson' flamethrower, so named because of the lighter. Once you have a specific version of the Sherman - one that's not even easily identifiable as special unless you know what you're looking for - named 'Ronson', it's easy to think that nickname applies to all Shermans.

I think it's more to do with the post-war Wehrmacht mythologicalizing and cherry picking bad Sherman stats helps sell the idea of absurdly high German kill ratios.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

Tanker helmets don't seem like they'd protect you from much more than bumping your head inside the tank?

You say this like it is no big deal.

I have a scar on my chin from a time on a CAX in 29 Palms when my driver hit an heavy irrigation pipe and brought my tank to a halt. I pitched forward and hit the housing that covers the gunsight; I bit through my lower lip and bled all over the interior of the tank for the rest of the exercise. My gunner mashed his eye into the gunsight; we later learned that he'd received a minor fracture to his eye socket. These were facial injuries, the sort a helmet wouldn't really protect against, but I think they illustrate the fact that you're constantly getting thrown around inside the vehicle with a lot of force. After a long time in the tank driving over bad ground you're going to be covered with minor bruises. Protecting your head with a helmet is vital.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The last time this got posted, if I remember correctly, the data showed that while Ger/UK tankers were being killed at about the same rate as US/USSR ones, the Ger/UK ones had a higher rate casualty rate. In other words, they were being injured more, but dying about the same.

It's not unreasonable to assume that almost all the fatalities were from enemy action, which padded glorified ye olde rugby helmets didn't help with, while a good chunk of the casualties are from just driving around, which they did help with.

Driving a vehicle off road with no seatbelts in an environment absolutely littered with hard-edged metal doodads is super loving dangerous, even with nobody shooting at you.

These helmets were there to make you only get a concussion when your tank drops into a ditch the driver didn't see at 30km/h and your head slams into the roof, and not a fractured skull.

What about tank destroyer helmets?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Geisladisk posted:

The last time this got posted, if I remember correctly, the data showed that while Ger/UK tankers were being killed at about the same rate as US/USSR ones, the Ger/UK ones had a higher rate casualty rate. In other words, they were being injured more, but dying about the same.

It's not unreasonable to assume that almost all the fatalities were from enemy action, which padded glorified ye olde rugby helmets didn't help with, while a good chunk of the casualties are from just driving around, which they did help with.

This is not true and extremely speculative anyway.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Whats the story with your friend getting shot in the head? Because it sure does sound like a good one.

Cartels in Mexico right now are apparently well stocked with some of everything, and he's federal police. Leads to interesting questions sometimes, like 'what's this izmash stamped gun with an angled magazine and pulleys in it' and the followup of 'is this gonna be like the time I found a gyrojet?'

(I don't have a clean picture of the AN-94, sadly)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

well that's not as much of a story as I was expecting :colbert:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Molentik posted:

The kind Dick is wearing?

Ol’ Dick is gonna be No Dick-Dick.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Alcohol is by definition a solution.

No, it's not. Pure alcohol is just pure alcohol, it's not something dissolved in something else.

Unrelated: I'm re-reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb, and if you're interested at all in the topic and haven't read it yet you really need to bump it to the top of your list. It's incredibly comprehensive and isn't just about the Manhattan Project itself. It's a solid history of the developments in physics that led up to it, as well as the development of technology in warfare and the social factors that led to it. One thing I'm taken by is that a number of very, very smart people, the same people who developed the nuclear theory that showed that a chain reaction was possible, were still of the opinion that it was no more than a curiosity because it would require just too much investment even for the United States. And then it ends up being essentially a rounding error in the total amount of US war spending. Even though the attitude was "Okay, you've got five ways of potentially doing this, but you're not sure which one will work the best? gently caress it, fund all of them."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Ol’ Dick is gonna be No Dick-Dick.

This is the sound of my Walther, which is pointed directly at your my own balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Bqycjw_tw

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

No, it's not. Pure alcohol is just pure alcohol, it's not something dissolved in something else.

You were so preoccupied with whether or not you could make this post that you never stopped to consider if you should.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Cessna posted:

You say this like it is no big deal.

I have a scar on my chin from a time on a CAX in 29 Palms when my driver hit an heavy irrigation pipe and brought my tank to a halt. I pitched forward and hit the housing that covers the gunsight; I bit through my lower lip and bled all over the interior of the tank for the rest of the exercise. My gunner mashed his eye into the gunsight; we later learned that he'd received a minor fracture to his eye socket. These were facial injuries, the sort a helmet wouldn't really protect against, but I think they illustrate the fact that you're constantly getting thrown around inside the vehicle with a lot of force. After a long time in the tank driving over bad ground you're going to be covered with minor bruises. Protecting your head with a helmet is vital.

I have an old story from a guy who was in the RAF Regiment with an FV103 Spartan APC. They were fitted with smoke grenade launchers, possibly after they were made, and the controls for the smoke grenades were on a little control box that hung from its wire in front of the commander.

The Spartan is a fast vehicle.

Doctrine was to make a tactical stop by going from full acceleration to full brakes before disembarking infantry.

When the vehicle stopped the control box continued forwards at 70kph, reached the end of its arc and swung back into the commander's face.

Every.

Single.

Time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

OK, how long before the Federales recover the Spear of Longuinus from the body of sicario?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xthetenth posted:

Cartels in Mexico right now are apparently well stocked with some of everything, and he's federal police. Leads to interesting questions sometimes, like 'what's this izmash stamped gun with an angled magazine and pulleys in it' and the followup of 'is this gonna be like the time I found a gyrojet?'

(I don't have a clean picture of the AN-94, sadly)

The AN-94 is goofy as gently caress but I love it to death ever since BF3 introduced me to it. If I was going to own a rifle, and it was anywhere near legal for me to have, it would be that over-engineered son of a bitch.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Arban posted:

So I have a question.

I once read a description of the air attacks against the Bismarck, that stated that the germans were firing the main guns against the incoming swordfish. this was explained as an attempt to create waterspouts in front of the planes they would fly into and crash. At the time I shrugged it of as an improvised desperation tactic, if it even happened.
A few weeks ago I was on vacation in northern norway, and came across a small museum about the sinking of the Tirpitz. They claimed that the Tirpitz had been firing its main guns against the attacking bombers and even had pictures of a dud shell that had been found some 35 km distant.

Was this an actual doctrine of the german navy? I can't imagine that guns like that would have anywere near the prescision to engage aircraft, although they would certainly destroy any plane they hit.

Tirpitz was firing ad-hoc AA shells that were just regular HE shells with a timed fuse and the ballistic cap removed. I think the Germans had come under air attack so many times that they decided to spend some time between modifying shells.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

The AN-94 is goofy as gently caress but I love it to death ever since BF3 introduced me to it. If I was going to own a rifle, and it was anywhere near legal for me to have, it would be that over-engineered son of a bitch.

The An-94 is the Commie Space Magic gun right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yup. Two round hyperfast burst.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Geisladisk posted:

What about tank destroyer helmets?

Ooh! I know this! They tended to use infantry helmets because their vehicles were open-topped and shrapnel was a real issue. The same as with halftracks.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Raenir Salazar posted:

yep and its internal workings are basically a rube golberg machine

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

JcDent posted:

OK, how long before the Federales recover the Spear of Longuinus from the body of sicario?

I will be impressed if that spear is somehow gone through the Khyber pass treatment and been merged with an old firearm.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

yep and its internal workings are basically a rube golberg machine

On that note, has anyone ever looked at the G-11's internals?

Its like an old fashioned wind up clock that the Germans somehow got to shoot bullets out of.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why do tankers get special hats/helmets at all rather than just wearing infantry helmets?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Infantry helmets are hard to use with headphones on.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

Infantry helmets are hard to use with headphones on.

Exactly. The CVC helmet plugs into the vehicles intercoms and radios. It also gives a little bit of hearing protection (not enough; I have permanent tinnitus).

Once you're out of the vehicle you swap it for a regular grunt's helmet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saint Celestine posted:

On that note, has anyone ever looked at the G-11's internals?

Its like an old fashioned wind up clock that the Germans somehow got to shoot bullets out of.

Ian's got a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKcvM2Hh4g

Feels like it should be stamped with "NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE" but apparently in operation it wasn't that bad. Just not better enough than the M16 to be worth it.

I wonder how the recoil is on the full-auto setting. That's a lot of reciprocating mass, given that almost the entire gun moves back and forth instead of just a bolt assembly.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 26, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do tankers get special hats/helmets at all rather than just wearing infantry helmets?

1. What EE said
2. They're not that great inside a cramped tank (meaning a hazard if your tank catches fire)
3. They are heavy with no particular advantage unless you're unbuttoned

also a padded cap or soft helmet is easier on the instruments that you are banging your head against but also probably absorbs the shock better? anyway they're lighter so with less momentum the shock is smaller anyway.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 26, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

also a padded cap or soft helmet is easier on the instruments that you are banging your head against but also probably absorbs the shock better? anyway they're lighter so with less momentum the shock is smaller anyway.

The interior of an AFV isn't so delicate that hitting something with your head is going to do more damage to the vehicle than your head.

(Yeah, that was an oddly constructed sentence.)

I know the Russians stick with soft helmets for tankers, but there's no advantage to a crewman there. You want a hard shell; that distributes the impact over the padding better than padding alone. It doesn't have to be shrapnel-proof kevlar, just something hard, like a bicycle helmet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A helmet is going to be ideal for any vehicle-in-motion type of environment by a long shot, but I feel that most people underestimate how much protection even a ball cap or beret gives your delicate scalp when you’re working around machines. I’ve absolutely been saved from multiple head lacerations just wearing a cotton twill baseball cap around airplanes. It still hurts when you brain yourself, but you tend to not get blood in your eyes.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

I wonder how the recoil is on the full-auto setting. That's a lot of reciprocating mass, given that almost the entire gun moves back and forth instead of just a bolt assembly.

Looks fairly jumpy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_didDgUjn0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It looks jumpy but slow, so the recoil is probably gentle to the soldier even if it throws off your aim. General doctrine is to keep it on semi-auto anyway, so the actual full auto firing would have only been used up close or for suppression.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Those are 3 rd bursts, right? Assuming they are that's quite a bit of force hitting pretty much all at once, I assume way more than a single 556 round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The first couple shots are 3 round bursts, yeah. With headphones you can hear the separate reports.