Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

drat I just absolutely demolished NG+ Owl (Father) I am too drat good at this game. absolutely nothing can stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

real talk it's because isshin is really weak to my preferred playstyle (sit and deflect until the boss does something which you can punish for free). spear isshin is scary because his attacks have huge range/tracking and lots of super armor, so if you make a false R1 you are highly likely to immediately eat poo poo. but if you sit there and block/deflect he simply doesn't pressure your posture bar fast enough to both break your guard and punish you for it. he has a strong multihit combo--four wild-looking spear swings into a mikiri-able thrust--but you have about seventeen years between each swing to regenerate posture and time your next deflect once you recognize it. sword isshin doesn't even have that.

genichiro has two attacks that i've never figured out how to deal with. sometimes he just randomly throws out a single diagonal swipe, very fast, with no animation tell that i can notice; i often don't get to the deflect button in time for that one. also, he has a big long sword dance combo with a weird cadence of hits that does a buttload of posture damage and is way harder to perfectly deflect than any of isshin's moves.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for the latter, equip the floating passage combat skill and go try it out in an empty field someplace, it’s literally that. should help you get the timing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

also, he has a big long sword dance combo with a weird cadence of hits that does a buttload of posture damage and is way harder to perfectly deflect than any of isshin's moves.

When you see his little side-step going into a long turnaround rightside wind-up, just hit the sprint button and get out to medium distance to circle him until he runs out. Kinda hard to describe in words, but this is the one to look out for:

https://youtu.be/sRsIeswCqUY?t=2m57s

IIRC he always dodges to the left (his right) to wind up, and gives you a good 1.5 to 2 seconds to react and get out. So even if you buffered a sword slash or two, like in the video, there's still time to run.You CAN parry it all, but the only thing that happens is you get into a "we're equals" standoff at the very end where you both reel and you don't even get an opening to attack.
Just get out, run, wait, and punish.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you deflect it all he gets a huge spike to his posture at the end during that standoff pose, so it’s helpful, but as others have pointed out there’s a lot of ways to crack that final genichiro nut which is why i think so many people are incredulous that he could be harder than isshin

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 23, 2019

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can R1 him for free in that moment when he's turning around, and after the "we're equals" standoff he always thrusts for a mikiri so you do get something out of staying in, but yeah. i'll try those two suggestions later; i didn't know that it was a version of one of the player combat arts.

e: i didn't say he's harder! i said he kills me more. the fight against the headless guardian ape and the add in the ashina depths kills me more than either, for that matter.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pedantically, the player’s combat art is a version of that technique :v:

the fishbulbs in the palace will whip it out on you too from time to time

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

e: i didn't say he's harder! i said he kills me more. the fight against the headless guardian ape and the add in the ashina depths kills me more than either, for that matter.

to be fair, me earlier:

HenryEx posted:

final boss deaths:

I died like 50 times to gonichumi.
about 30 times to 1st Isshin
5-6 times to second Isshin
once to third Isshin. Got him on the second try that i ever reached the last phase.

Keep in mind that i got to 2nd Isshin on my very first attempt at the fight, and then it somehow all went down hill~

Also i recorded that video on NG, when you don't have the Mikiri counter yet, so i had to un-learn baiting his easy to punish Mikiri, and found out that disengaging and running circles around him is just very effective in general. For the overhead slam, as well.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
here's my tier list of hardest combat encounters in the game

S: guardian ape rematch in the depths, last phase of shura ending final boss
A: demon of hatred, that moment in ashina castle when you have to fight like three nightjar ninjas
B: that stupid seven spears rear end in a top hat in the reservoir, the fight against the camera and also incidentally an enemy in the starting location at the reservoir, gently caress the resevoir
C: owldad, the stupid giant carp stealth section

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 23, 2019

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Btw you don't have to parry all of that flurry to get the standoff at the end, just dip in near the end for a few parries and harvest the mikiri

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
just the very last hit of it, even

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

jit bull transpile posted:

I know it's practically a constant of the universe that goons assume everyone is a guy, but come on dude

I did not write it intentionally I assure you

In any case here's my latest Isshin fight charmless on NG save

https://youtu.be/SoACXgjRs2Q

The spear phase is still embarassing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
After Gyoubu being a pain the first time around, wiping the floor with him in NG+ felt real good.

But then I somehow kept messing up parrying the bull?
Ah well, still an easy fight.

Though the charmless buildup of status ailments seems like it's gonna be a real pain.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I can reliably get to Genichiro, Way of Tomoe about a third of the time. Working on trying to beat Genichiro’s first two health bars without needing to heal so I can get more time practicing the Tomoe phase.

I have mixed feelings about the Genichiro fight. On one hand the fight is amazing, the game really clicks with me, I’m deflecting and mikiri counter clowning on Genichiro. On the other I sometimes die to camera and relative controls problems. Sometimes I attempt to do a mikiri counter but dodge sideways or away when I mean to dodge towards Genichiro. This usually kills me. It feels a bit BS because I could swear I am point the control stick in the right direction.

The dodge in general feels like a trap ( at least on bosses). It’s useful for activating the mikiri, but otherwise it has almost no I-Frames and much of the time doesn’t put you out of range of the attack you are trying to dodge. Jumping or just running away seem more effective (or just deflect).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you want to Mikiri, don't point the control stick anywhere. In neutral position, you'll always dodge forwards, which leads into a mikiri.
In the heat of battle, it's not always clear where you pointed the stick during that reflexive dodge hit, so just condition yourself to lay off the stick altogether when you're anticipating a Mikiri.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

HenryEx posted:

If you want to Mikiri, don't point the control stick anywhere. In neutral position, you'll always dodge forwards, which leads into a mikiri.

:doh:
Thanks I could have sworn neutral dodge was always backwards.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dodge only works on very specific attacks like jump attacks and vertical ones.

It's important to recognize them because it allows you to deal a lot of vitality dmg if you dodge em instead of deflecting

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If anything, the biggest point that separates Sekiro from other From games is that the combat expects and encourages you to interact with enemy attacks instead of simply dodging as much as possible. The ever present risk and reward make the combat more engaging and visceral than anything they've achieved before, imo.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

To be fair, neutral dodge is always backwards in every Bloodsouls game, but From changed it up for Sekiro.

And don't completely forget about dodging. There are a few bosses where it's a very viable strategy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

If anything, the biggest point that separates Sekiro from other From games is that the combat expects and encourages you to interact with enemy attacks instead of simply dodging as much as possible. The ever present risk and reward make the combat more engaging and visceral than anything they've achieved before, imo.

For sure. It took me some time to unlearn the, "Stay out of reach, dart in for attacks" of the Souls games for Sekiro's, "Stay on them, parry and counter attacks while relentlessly attacking when possible" gameplay.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I killed Demon of Hatred, only took two hours! :downs: Now to try my final boss, SSI, which YIKES

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Want to see someone being better at the game than you are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr9kr_6x8FQ

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Spear Isshin's moves are still a complete mystery to me so it's pretty impressive.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can do that with mist raven????

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
That usage of Mist Raven is completely new to me. Definitely trying it out when I next get to SSI

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That video annoys me because he doesn't move in and smack Isshin a couple of times when he's stunned from lightning reversal

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sakurazuka posted:

That video annoys me because he doesn't move in and smack Isshin a couple of times when he's stunned from lightning reversal

Because they're going for no damage taken so they are avoiding risky moves. They only attack when there's a definite readable opening.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Also up there with people playing this game insanely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVfOd68_pU&t=2635s
Spending an hour fighting the last boss without any upgrades.

Trip Hazard posted:

That usage of Mist Raven is completely new to me. Definitely trying it out when I next get to SSI

Hell I'm gonna try it when I get to the third form of Genichiro.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

wyoming posted:

Also up there with people playing this game insanely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVfOd68_pU&t=2635s
Spending an hour fighting the last boss without any upgrades.

Watching Lobos kill Ludwig the Accursed in NG+7 with only his fists was what inspired me to start doing challenge runs. I figured if that was possible, anything was possible.

Tbh I think a good challenge run is even more doable in Sekiro than the previous FromSoft games, because of how solid the fundamentals of combat are. If you can consistently parry, there's very little you can't accomplish just with good timing. No prosthetics is a pretty easy one to start with, for anybody who wants to get into it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm on the sword saint right now. I can get to phase three, however the most obnoxious part is having to re-fight Genichiro each time.

This will probably take a while.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I binged and got all the achievements for this game when it came out, came back to it yesterday and I still got my skills and the game still loving rules. Has there been any word on DLC?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

comingafteryouall posted:

I binged and got all the achievements for this game when it came out, came back to it yesterday and I still got my skills and the game still loving rules. Has there been any word on DLC?

Unfortunately no.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Beat Saint Isshin today, using the umbrella to parry his huge attacks really helps. I enjoyed how the 'return' ending just goes right into "Journey to the West", which was uplifting. Usually Souls games have such depressing endings.

This game just kicked a lot of rear end. Is Bloodborne's combat system pretty similar to Sekiro's? I haven't played that one yet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Extra Large Marge posted:

This game just kicked a lot of rear end. Is Bloodborne's combat system pretty similar to Sekiro's? I haven't played that one yet.

It's between Sekiro and Dark Souls, it's definitely faster than the DS games, the rally mechanic wants you to get in more than DS does, the parry system is more emphasized than DS, but it still has stamina and less mobility than Sekiro so it's different enough that I'd be wary recommending it just based on how you liked Sekiro.

How much did you like Demon of Hatred? He really feels like a Bloodborne boss in certain respects and depending on how you fought him it might tell you something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bloodborne is similar, but is more about balancing stamina management with attacks, dodges and parries (on some bosses). Sekiro is purely about timing.

DoH is probably the best analogue to a bloodborne boss, but it's still not a great example because Sekiro doesn't give you the same tools as Bloodborne does to fight him.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Extra Large Marge posted:

Beat Saint Isshin today, using the umbrella to parry his huge attacks really helps. I enjoyed how the 'return' ending just goes right into "Journey to the West", which was uplifting. Usually Souls games have such depressing endings.

Playing with the faster Bloodborne weapons (especially the saw cleaver or saw spear) and a pistol for parrying is pretty similar to Sekiro's combat. Bloodborne still has unparrayble enemies though, and the stamina puts a hard cap on your attack chains. It's very much a transitional phase between the Souls games and Sekiro. You also don't have anything equivocal to the grappling mechanics, but Bloodborne has a lot of unique visuals and general art design that's distinct from other modern From games and worth experiencing.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I put 3 hours of tries into SSI tonight. Phases 1/2 I can handle without issue. Spear phase is dicey. By the forth phase my nerves are so shot I start falling to pieces. Best try has him about halfway through his last phase.

I’ll get it tomorrow but wow this dude does not play.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

During the last phase you can bait lightning for easy vitality dmg, so just be patient.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

Hell I'm gonna try it when I get to the third form of Genichiro.

Trip report, doesn't work.
When you fly up in the air he rushes right at you, so the lightning always missed him.
I forgot how desperate he gets in that third phase, he just does not let up.

Also I discovered something crazy, decided to see what would happen if you gently caress up the snake kill.
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/1166860417181708289

It carried me across the threshold, I guess we're married now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't be the only one who expected that to fade into the Skyrim intro