Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
You can also see the barrel stutter as it moves backwards, as each individual round in the burst first.

If you didn't watch the FW video, what's going on is that the barrel, the receiver, the whole action, the magazine, are all recoiling, and since there's no ejection due to the use of caseless ammunition, it fires all three rounds in the burst before all that stuff reaches the travel limit. So all three rounds in the very-high-ROF burst leave the barrel before the recoil is felt, with the idea being that the burst will be very tight. The rifle was a competitor in the US Advanced Combat Rifle program, and the objective of the program was to deliver a rifle with double the hit probability of the M16. Idea is that the first rounds you fire are the most likely to be on-target, to maximize hit probability with them. HK did this with the three-round burst, other competitors did it by firing flechettes, and/or multiple projectiles from the same cartridge. None of them actually provided the hoped-for increase in accuracy so it didn't justify replacing the M16 with anything.

But in single-shot mode or full-auto mode, the G11's rate of fire wasn't ridiculously high. So I was wondering what the felt recoil was like when most of the mass of the rifle is oscillating with every single shot. In that second video there it shows the soldier shooting semi-auto about halfway through, and yeah, it looks pretty jumpy. But in full auto the ROF is under 500rpm, considerably slower than a full-auto M16, so it's probably not all that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it's more to do with the post-war Wehrmacht mythologicalizing and cherry picking bad Sherman stats helps sell the idea of absurdly high German kill ratios.

It was Belton loving Cooper with Death Traps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

You can also see the barrel stutter as it moves backwards, as each individual round in the burst first.

If you didn't watch the FW video, what's going on is that the barrel, the receiver, the whole action, the magazine, are all recoiling, and since there's no ejection due to the use of caseless ammunition, it fires all three rounds in the burst before all that stuff reaches the travel limit. So all three rounds in the very-high-ROF burst leave the barrel before the recoil is felt, with the idea being that the burst will be very tight. The rifle was a competitor in the US Advanced Combat Rifle program, and the objective of the program was to deliver a rifle with double the hit probability of the M16. Idea is that the first rounds you fire are the most likely to be on-target, to maximize hit probability with them. HK did this with the three-round burst, other competitors did it by firing flechettes, and/or multiple projectiles from the same cartridge. None of them actually provided the hoped-for increase in accuracy so it didn't justify replacing the M16 with anything.

But in single-shot mode or full-auto mode, the G11's rate of fire wasn't ridiculously high. So I was wondering what the felt recoil was like when most of the mass of the rifle is oscillating with every single shot. In that second video there it shows the soldier shooting semi-auto about halfway through, and yeah, it looks pretty jumpy. But in full auto the ROF is under 500rpm, considerably slower than a full-auto M16, so it's probably not all that bad.

A big problem with any replacement project for the M16 and M4 is the requirements are often so high that they’re unattainable. You’ll see demands for 100% increase in hit rate while also being perfectly reliable while dirty and just as affordable as the M4, which is essentially impossible to manufacture with current technology.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Molentik posted:

The kind Dick is wearing?

That's a title, not a name.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

hey guns, is this your car, c/d?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

No, it's not. Pure alcohol is just pure alcohol, it's not something dissolved in something else.

Ethanol can be pure, without being in solution (although only in the lab in a sealed environment, as such a solution absorbs water from the air - pure ethanol as sold contains 4% unremoveable water and therefore can be defined as a 20.9 M/dm^3 solution of ethanol in water). Alcohol, when used as a noun, refers to this solution of ethanol in water in varying strengths and not to the lab made 100% pure ethanol, which would never be refered to using the generic term alcohol.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Phanatic should have let the joke stand, but you don’t have to outdo him in pedantry.

“Hey Sue, hand me the alcohol.”

“Here you go.”

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Platystemon posted:

Phanatic should have let the joke stand, but you don’t have to outdo him in pedantry.

“Hey Sue, hand me the alcohol.”

“Here you go.”

And the German engineer responded: "Ah! That's the stoff!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Phanatic posted:

No, it's not. Pure alcohol is just pure alcohol, it's not something dissolved in something else.

Unrelated: I'm re-reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb, and if you're interested at all in the topic and haven't read it yet you really need to bump it to the top of your list. It's incredibly comprehensive and isn't just about the Manhattan Project itself. It's a solid history of the developments in physics that led up to it, as well as the development of technology in warfare and the social factors that led to it. One thing I'm taken by is that a number of very, very smart people, the same people who developed the nuclear theory that showed that a chain reaction was possible, were still of the opinion that it was no more than a curiosity because it would require just too much investment even for the United States. And then it ends up being essentially a rounding error in the total amount of US war spending. Even though the attitude was "Okay, you've got five ways of potentially doing this, but you're not sure which one will work the best? gently caress it, fund all of them."

Seconding this recommendation. One of my favorite parts (as a Washington resident) was when they started up the Hanford plutonium site late in the war when the country was already at full employment so it was tough to get people to labor in the middle of nowhere. Lack of entertainment meant the saloons were designed with special windows to allow tear gas to be thrown in and it wasn’t uncommon to find bodies in trash cans.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lack of entertainment meant the saloons were designed with special windows to allow tear gas to be thrown in
i love the past

Content. I am currently reading The Savage Continent, which is about tumult and chaos in Europe immediately post ww2, including ethnic cleansings carried out against Ukranians, Germans, Jews (again but not by Nazis this time), and people in the Balkans. This is a good book, and it's an important book, but if you do not feel like reading about terrible things happenign to human bodies, please do not read it. Trust me. I'm speaking as a 30yw researcher here.

Edit: If you think hostilities stopped in 1945, you're very wrong. In places there was a low (the baltics) or high (Greece) grade civil war going on, in addition to the ethnic cleansings. We talk a good game about the postwar period but really Europe was only "at peace" from like...1950 onward.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 27, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Seconding this recommendation. One of my favorite parts (as a Washington resident) was when they started up the Hanford plutonium site late in the war when the country was already at full employment so it was tough to get people to labor in the middle of nowhere. Lack of entertainment meant the saloons were designed with special windows to allow tear gas to be thrown in and it wasn’t uncommon to find bodies in trash cans.

Funny, I just started reading it like 2 weeks ago. I'm not very far yet but I'm really liking the biographical stories its telling about the famous physicists of the era. Seeing the close personal networks that tied all the worlds nuclear researchers together makes the personal chaos caused by the appearance of the Nazis all the more dramatic. When Germany's jewish scholars are all purged at once, the American and British universities don't just recruit them because they'll work for cheap anywhere that'll get them a visa -- they hire them because they all already worked in the same labs together, corresponded regularly, and knew each other from going to the same conferences. In 1933 everyone's scrambling to get their friends out of Germany, who just so happen to also be the world's greatest scientists.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

That's a Marine NCO's car.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That is one highly motivated Marine

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I strongly suspect the dude even has a playlist themed to the start up.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Squalid posted:

Funny, I just started reading it like 2 weeks ago. I'm not very far yet but I'm really liking the biographical stories its telling about the famous physicists of the era. Seeing the close personal networks that tied all the worlds nuclear researchers together makes the personal chaos caused by the appearance of the Nazis all the more dramatic. When Germany's jewish scholars are all purged at once, the American and British universities don't just recruit them because they'll work for cheap anywhere that'll get them a visa -- they hire them because they all already worked in the same labs together, corresponded regularly, and knew each other from going to the same conferences. In 1933 everyone's scrambling to get their friends out of Germany, who just so happen to also be the world's greatest scientists.

Oh yeah that was fascinating. The book does such a great job giving backstory to the scientists. I liked when Leopold Infled arrived at Princeton and was baffled by the empty streets and hearing the students had gone to see Notre Dame, and he wondered why they had all collectively gone to France, then he learned about football.

I listened on audiobook and the narration was great, I gotta pick up Dark Sun.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Siivola posted:

That's a Marine NCO's car.

It's more likely a non-rate's 1996 Mustang, purchased at 22% APR.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I feel like if you're going to do this, you need to have a manual transmission. Yes, that's my objection. :colbert:

Also as a more tangential look at the Manhattan Project, I recommend anything Richard Feynman wrote. He only glosses by it but he was a young dude in his 20's working on the project so he has some interesting insights, plus he's an excellent writer. Bonus : you'll learn some cool physics stuff and how he banged a bunch of Brazilian flight-attendants.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also as a more tangential look at the Manhattan Project, I recommend anything Richard Feynman wrote. He only glosses by it but he was a young dude in his 20's working on the project so he has some interesting insights, plus he's an excellent writer. Bonus : you'll learn some cool physics stuff and how he banged a bunch of Brazilian flight-attendants.

If you're interested in Feynman, read Gleick's biography of him. It's wonderful and touching.

Also check these out, it's a lecture series he did for a lay audience at Cornell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mhkYbznBk

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Thanks but I'm aware of both. I'm a big fan of his. He was a truly excellent speaker, and, you know, physicist.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah that was fascinating. The book does such a great job giving backstory to the scientists. I liked when Leopold Infled arrived at Princeton and was baffled by the empty streets and hearing the students had gone to see Notre Dame, and he wondered why they had all collectively gone to France, then he learned about football.

You'd think the 'notter dayme' pronunciation would be a giveaway tbf :shobon:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hey Guns' guys are out in force protesting in Hong Kong

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

All I see in that pic is the pretext the government needs to murder them all

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

aphid_licker posted:

All I see in that pic is the pretext the government needs to murder them all

Umbrellas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joel Edgerton and friends are adapting Shakespeare's Henriad for Netflix. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJnsTx-TBg

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Umbrellas?

El último tercio.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

zoux posted:

Joel Edgerton and friends are adapting Shakespeare's Henriad for Netflix. Here's a trailer:

Their mail doesn't even fit. Smh.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jehde posted:

El último tercio.

nobody is going to rain on their parade

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jehde posted:

El último tercio.
peak spain has been reached :magical:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jehde posted:

El último tercio.

Ultima umbrella regum

Nenonen posted:

nobody is going to rain on their parade

Ngl, if I had 300 bucks (!) just laying around, I probably would give one of those unbreakable fighting umbrellas a try

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Cessna posted:

It's more likely a non-rate's 1996 Mustang, purchased at 22% APR.
I thought every 1996 Mustang purchased at 22% APR ended up in a ditch by 1997 at the latest?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FrangibleCover posted:

I thought every 1996 Mustang purchased at 22% APR ended up in a ditch by 1997 at the latest?

Drag it out, hose it off, give it an Earl Scheib paint job, sell it to another PFC.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cessna posted:

Drag it out, hose it off, give it an Earl Scheib paint job, sell it to another PFC.

$1500 on the sticker, $15000 on the schedule

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Man, the effort to shut down the Nazi's heavy water production was just so ironically tragic.

First the Allies don't want to bomb the plant, because they don't want to kill the Norwegian plant workers, so they send in an advance team of commandos. Then the main team follows in towed gliders, one of the tow planes crashes into a mountain and both glider teams are captured and tortured and executed by the Nazis.

Second, they parachute in some more commandos to join the original advance team, who execute a picture-perfect raid and sneak into the plant, blow open the electrolysis tanks, and escape. But repairs are made and the station resumes production.

So now the Allies resort to heavy bombing, and do enough damage to the plant that the Germans decide to move heavy water production back into Germany proper and plan to transport the stored heavy water. The Brits contact one of the commandos from the successful raid, who's stayed in the area living off the land, and tell him that they're moving the heavy water and he has to destroy it. Only way to to it is wait for them to load the rail cars onto a lake ferry, and then sink the ferry. He and two people he recruited sneak below decks, only for a crewman to find them, at which point they say they're hiding from the Gestapo so he lets them stay. They're literally using nightstand alarm clocks for the detonators, and try to time it so that the bomb goes off when the ferry is in deep enough water to sink, but close enough to shore that the passengers might actually be rescued. Turns out 14 Norwegians still die.

All that and even if the Germans had all that heavy water and more it wouldn't have meant anything. And one of the drums was recovered from the lake was only about 1% D2O anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

This looks really cool, but I'm choked that it's a movie and not a limited run series. There's so much material there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm a barbeque enthusiast, and this has crossed my upper middle class white guy world a bit into the world of reconstruction Afro-cooking, as it mixes my love of slow cooked meats, my love of culinary history, and my love of antebellum American history.

Last year a fellow wrote a really incredible cookbook that anyone with even a passing interest in culinary history should buy, right now.

Somehow or other I missed a blog post he wrote a couple of weeks ago, which is one of my favorite bits of internet writing I've seen in recent years.

quote:

Southern food is my vehicle for interpretation because it is not apolitical. It is also drenched in all the dreadful funkiness of the history it was created in. It’s not my job to comfort you. It’s not my job to assuage any guilt you may feel. That’s really none of my business. My job is to show you that my Ancestors, (and some of yours quiet as its kept…go get your DNA done…like right now…talking to you Louisiana and South Carolina…) resisted enslavement by maintaining links to what scholar Charles D. Joyner famously called a “culinary grammar” that contained whole narratives that reached into spirituality, health practices, linguistics, agricultural wisdom and environmental practices that constituted in the words of late historian William D. Piersen, “a resistance “too civilized to notice.”

Anyway you all should read that post, and if you're interested in historical cooking and making some amazing dishes, buy that book. Slave culture is unendingly fascinating to me, and so much of that culture revolved around food; it is great to see the culinary community at large starting to recognize just how incredible that little slice of America really was.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

That guy also had a guest appearance on Townsends youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwkRWIwZ43A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VgTtzukqPM

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Squalid posted:

That guy also had a guest appearance on Townsends youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwkRWIwZ43A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VgTtzukqPM

That’s how I learned about him; that site really rules

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Holy loving poo poo inject that into my veins. Henry V is my favorite play by a million. Are they going to cover both parts of Henry IV?

bewbies posted:

I'm a barbeque enthusiast, and this has crossed my upper middle class white guy world a bit into the world of reconstruction Afro-cooking, as it mixes my love of slow cooked meats, my love of culinary history, and my love of antebellum American history.

Last year a fellow wrote a really incredible cookbook that anyone with even a passing interest in culinary history should buy, right now.

Somehow or other I missed a blog post he wrote a couple of weeks ago, which is one of my favorite bits of internet writing I've seen in recent years.

Anyway you all should read that post, and if you're interested in historical cooking and making some amazing dishes, buy that book. Slave culture is unendingly fascinating to me, and so much of that culture revolved around food; it is great to see the culinary community at large starting to recognize just how incredible that little slice of America really was.

Huh. My interest is piqued. I'm a home chef and a lover of history and this seems... Uh. Novel. I'll have to grab a copy and see what it's like.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

This, and the article you linked, are drat good posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

bewbies posted:

I started down the rabbit hole of BBQ a few years ago and its taken me all over the place, even going so far as to start hunting so I can bring in my own meat. For some reason I never gave the history of BBQ much thought. Im really looking forward to reading this. Thanks!